Formal nights for men....

tophatgirl

People who keep reassuring the OP that a shirt and tie are acceptable are ignoring the fact that on some ships Celebrity does in fact enforce the dress code. In those cases he might be offered a jacket or asked to leave. It can and does happen and in no way reflects any of our opinions as to whether that is appropriate or not. It just is what it is.

Will it happen? Probably the odds are in his favor but it might. So the only real question left is whether the OP wants to take that chance. If yes, half of this board will agree with you to go for it. If no, you could be embarassed or worse when attempting to enter without a jacket. That is what it boils down to and the decision is up to the OP as to how much risk they want to take.

The thing I find interesting is that, people choose to cruise on a particular cruise line then they don't want to abide by the recommended dress code that has been established. Most likely DH will stand out like a sore thumb but if he is OK with it more power to him. Just a thought, he could rent a tux and what goes with it on Board. In fact, he can go one line and rent it before he boards.

You are assuming that they knew about the dress code when they made the booking!

I'm no fan of formal nights, and I will never knowingly violate a dress code, but I thought I would offer up this little tidbit.....

I know from personal experience that there are first time cruisers who have NO IDEA that cruise lines still have "formal nights!" A superior of mine (at a very large national bank) booked a cruise and a week or so before the cruise we had lunch together so he could ask me any questions he had. Before lunch ended I said to him, "Wow I'm surprised you never asked about the formal nights."

His response, "Formal night? You mean I'm expected to dress up for a wedding on vacation? Does the cruise ship know it is 2011 not 1911?" He was seriously annoyed that he was expected to dress more formally for vacation than we dress at work! Cruise lines are working HARD to attract new customers, not every one knows to, or wants to, dress to the nines! Some first time cruisers who have only done land vacations would have no idea that they are expected to dress for a wedding/prom a couple of times a week.

Just because we Cruise Critic members read EVERY SINGLE LINE on the cruise lines' website doesn't mean that other people do the same! YES, I know all the pre cruise docs advise what to wear, but how many people simply only read, "arrive at x location at x time on x date, bring x docs, etc.." and nothing more? I'm not saying ignorance of the "rule" is a reason to show up for formal night without a jacket and tie [GHASP!] but the next time you see someone do that there could be a chance they just didn't know!

I just wish cruise ships in general would follow in the foot steps of Azamara, Oceania, Regent, et al, and go "country club casual." Those who WANT to dress do, those who don't, DON'T!

All the normal, everyday, working class people I know, including myself know what the word "formal" means. I don't quite understand why it needs to be interpreted here on a regular basis.

If we don't want to dress for dinner, we just choose another option that is available to us and skip the dining room. It's really a simple concept.

All the normal, everyday, working class people I know, including myself know what the word "formal" means. I don't quite understand why it needs to be interpreted here on a regular basis.

If we don't want to dress for dinner, we just choose another option that is available to us and skip the dining room. It's really a simple concept.

It doesn't "need" to be interpreted. It is interpreted here because there is a growing number of people who don't want to be forced to dress like they are attending a wedding or a prom in order have an enjoyable dinner!

For those who want to eat in the dining room on formal night in casual wear; what would you think if someone came to your table in swim wear and said "its my vacation and I don't want to wear casual wear".

As long as they brought good conversation and were respectful to others I don't tink I would care. We have sat with nasty drunks who were dressed up and have sat with the most pleasent people who were not and vice versa. Attire does not denote class.

As long as they brought good conversation and were respectful to others I don't tink I would care. We have sat with nasty drunks who were dressed up and have sat with the most pleasent people who were not and vice versa. Attire does not denote class.

Well said!

Your husband will be fine dressed in your described manner. Those of us who have cruised Celebrity often and are truthful will tell you that he will probably not be the only man dressed this way. Just enjoy your cruise and your family and make memories!!!

I'm sailing on the Millennium on Thursday and after reading this thread I'm not particularly excited for the trip. My husband and I are perfectly capable of dressing up for formal night, and intended to, but the mean spirited responses on this thread make me believe we'll have a significantly better time keeping to ourselves. Thank goodness for Select dining, if these posts are any example of the typical Celebrity passenger! Apparently what you wear is more important than how you treat others.

I'm sailing on the Millennium on Thursday and after reading this thread I'm not particularly excited for the trip. My husband and I are perfectly capable of dressing up for formal night, and intended to, but the mean spirited responses on this thread make me believe we'll have a significantly better time keeping to ourselves. Thank goodness for Select dining, if these posts are any example of the typical Celebrity passenger! Apparently what you wear is more important than how you treat others.

Don't let what you read here tarnish your excitement for your cruise. I remember many years ago, before our first X cruise, reading these boards and having a similar reaction. However, once on the trip, I realized that the comments I had been concerned about were not reflective of the people we met. You'll find a mixture of all kinds of people on your cruise as in any large group, but the majority (at least in our experience) have been pleasant, interesting, polite, and even fun.

Go enjoy your cruise!

Fran

a well bred person follows proper dress.its sad when you see prople show up looking like they spent the night sleeping under a bridge

Are folks sleeping under bridges these days in black slacks, dress shirts and ties?:confused: I'd bet most of them could spell or at least structure a sentence correctly, despite their bloodlines.:rolleyes:

Really, as has been stated, Celebrities standards are to include a jacket and tie for men on formal night whether you agree or not.

Someday, when the masses get their way, and its coming very soon, we will be able to dress smart casual every night. I'd even be fine with dressing up if you wish, leave me smart casual, but it seems the dressed up folks want all of us dressed, otherwise for some reason it ruins their fantasy about being someplace elegant and important.

The last thing in the world I want to do after a day on the beach or by the pool is get just dressed up in a suit, like I stated, if you like that, do it, but why drag the rest of us into it? For now, I go to specialty restaurants on formal nights.

We usually pass on Formal nights as I was never one to wear a Tux, however, my wife found me a "New" tuxedo complete with cumber bum and black bow tie at a local GoodWill for only $20. The tags were still on the sleeves and no alterations were required! Formal shirt from Burlington was more expensive. Now planning on attending all 3 formal nights on our next cruise AND, looking forward to it!

We usually pass on Formal nights as I was never one to wear a Tux, however, my wife found me a "New" tuxedo complete with cumber bum and black bow tie at a local GoodWill for only $20. The tags were still on the sleeves and no alterations were required! Formal shirt from Burlington was more expensive. Now planning on attending all 3 formal nights on our next cruise AND, looking forward to it!

It's amazing the deals you can find sometimes! Enjoy your new tux!

I don't really see how people are being mean spirited in requesting that pax follow the dress code set by the cruise line. I think Ma Bell said it best.

You already have so many other options if you don't wish to dress up (I still think it's sad that now even Blu is smart casual only)- the MDR is the _only_ place where formal attire is required, and that still isn't good enough? I just don't get it. Cruise lines do not have to be carbon copies of each other!

I must be behind the times, as I thought that Celebrity REQUIRED men to wear a sport jacket or suit jacket in the dining room on formal night.

Has this changed?

Thanks, M

It's a 5 page thread your responding to, take a few minutes and read it. Celebrity requires it, however, many folks ignore the request, whether thats right or wrong, well, its wrong but its not a show stopper.

Please don't let any comments on here spoil the anticipation of your cruise. Remember there are around 3000 passengers and almost all of them will never have posted on cruise critic. We all have our own ideas of what is acceptable on formal nights. We love to dress up but accept that others may not wish to do so. I have seen someone refused entry to the MDR because he did not have a jacket, his party was directed to the buffet.

Are folks sleeping under bridges these days in black slacks, dress shirts and ties?:confused: I'd bet most of them could spell or at least structure a sentence correctly, despite their bloodlines.:rolleyes:

Really, as has been stated, Celebrities standards are to include a jacket and tie for men on formal night whether you agree or not.

Someday, when the masses get their way, and its coming very soon, we will be able to dress smart casual every night. I'd even be fine with dressing up if you wish, leave me smart casual, but it seems the dressed up folks want all of us dressed, otherwise for some reason it ruins their fantasy about being someplace elegant and important.

The last thing in the world I want to do after a day on the beach or by the pool is get just dressed up in a suit, like I stated, if you like that, do it, but why drag the rest of us into it? For now, I go to specialty restaurants on formal nights.

Good for you.

If only you had a sense of humor

:cj

We just got off the RCCL Explorer of the Seas... On formal night, men were showing up in the dining room with pajama bottoms , shorts, sweat pants...Soon, some people will be showing up for dinner in bathrobes...why not? After all..it is YOUR vacation, isn't it???

Oh no.......we have booked a Radiance of the Seas cruise (for the itinerary). We knew it wouldn't be up to X standards, as far as food, ambiance, service, and then liberal smoking policy and the alcohol policy....Now you are describing a scenario I didn't imagine. Yikes.:eek:

In Texas, a gentleman takes his cowboy hat off inside a restaurant !

Agreed. In the Pacific Northwest, we will generally walk into a restaurant with a cowboy hat on, but then it is removed upon being seated at the table.

BTW, "cowboy" attire can certainly be adapted to be formal attire. The two are NOT mutually exclusive.

Actually we were on a cruise where an entire table showed up for dinner in the MDR in their bath robes....and guess what line it was?????? Carnival.....nope.....Royal Caribbean...nope try again.....NCL......keep guessing.........It was Celebrity. They were made to leave the dining room, but it wasn't until after appetizers were being served. I could not have cared less if they were eating next to me in their robes....my dinner was excellent.

Thank you for proving my point. That YOU could not have cared less is irrelevant. Celebrity obviously cared.

Oh no.......we have booked a Radiance of the Seas cruise (for the itinerary). We knew it wouldn't be up to X standards, as far as food, ambiance, service, and then liberal smoking policy and the alcohol policy....Now you are describing a scenario I didn't imagine. Yikes.:eek:

Check ShawninFl's post...yikes indeed!!

Archived