Formal nights for men....

tophatgirl

No flames please! If you disagree with this post, please be polite - I have noticed how serious the cruise wear discussions are!

Ok - would it be acceptable for my dh to wear black slacks with a shirt and tie on formal nights? He doesn't own a sportcoat and hate to buy one if it really isn't needed. He cleans up nicely and I will be in a cocktail dress.

Thanks! :) :)

First cruise Celebrity Eclipse December, 2011!

No flames please! If you disagree with this post, please be polite - I have noticed how serious the cruise wear discussions are!

Ok - would it be acceptable for my dh to wear black slacks with a shirt and tie on formal nights? He doesn't own a sportcoat and hate to buy one if it really isn't needed. He cleans up nicely and I will be in a cocktail dress.

It would certainly be acceptable to me. I do not get upset over how others choose to dress.

Acceptable? Not really. Can he do it? Sure. The dress codes are essentially suggestions, not mandatory. So if your hubby is capable of ignoring some stares and scowls he would be fine. It is likely that he would be one of the very few men to go to the MDR without a jacket. On our most recent cruise (the Summit 2 weeks ago) we had a couple who wore cowboy clothes on the formal nights (and just about every night) including their cowboy boots and cowboy hats (which they also wore in the showroom). There were more then a few snickers and lots of staring, but those two seemed very comfortable attracting attention.

Hank

He might be more comfortable in one of the specialty restaurants on formal night. Those restaurants do not require a jacket at any time. Additionally, if you are in aqua class, there is no "formal" night in the dedicated restaurant, Blu...that is a very recent change.

It would certainly be acceptable to me. I do not get upset over how others choose to dress.

It has nothing to do with YOU and what YOU find acceptable; it has to do with what Celebrity finds acceptable. What the OP described does not meet the standards of the dress code Celebrity has set; that said Celebrity is inconsistent with how vigorously they enforce the dress code and the majority of the time what the OP described would be passable and they would not be turned away. Fortunately S-Class ships have several venues where formal attire is not required; so the best solution is to opt for one of these venues if one does not wish to dress formally on formal night.

I most of the time take my coat off and hang it on my chair during dinner. I don't put it back on if I get up to use the restroom and I've never been kicked out for it. I can't see how they'd know the difference. I've seen people in black t-shirts and women wearing short pants (crop pants) and that seemed OK too. I think the "standards" are just suggestions. I'm sure that Celebrity wants you to be comfortable and no one else should care one way or the other what someone else is wearing.

Tom

I most of the time take my coat off and hang it on my chair during dinner. I don't put it back on if I get up to use the restroom and I've never been kicked out for it. I can't see how they'd know the difference. I've seen people in black t-shirts and women wearing short pants (crop pants) and that seemed OK too. I think the "standards" are just suggestions. I'm sure that Celebrity wants you to be comfortable and no one else should care one way or the other what someone else is wearing.

Tom

They are not "suggestions." It is a dress code. However frequently the dress code is not enforced. I have seen several occasions where it was enforced though. They do not phrase the dress code as a "suggestion" in the daily newsletter that is delivered to your stateroom, but clearly state that one is expected to abide by the stated dress code.

No opinions and no lectures from me. The issue is that the dress code is not consistently enforced. You have no way of knowing if he will be allowed in the dining room or not on formal nights. Probably yes, but maybe not. Do you really want to have to worry about that? Consider a clearance sale (got my son a reasonably nice suit sold as separates for under $100 at JCP), or even a Goodwill. They actually have alot of decent sport coats. Just get it dry cleaned and you are good to go for $25 or so and no worrying about whether he will be admitted.

He might be more comfortable in one of the specialty restaurants on formal night. Those restaurants do not require a jacket at any time. Additionally, if you are in aqua class, there is no "formal" night in the dedicated restaurant, Blu...that is a very recent change.

I do not believe that that has as yet been officially confirmed.

They are not "suggestions." It is a dress code. However frequently the dress code is not enforced. I have seen several occasions where it was enforced though. They do not phrase the dress code as a "suggestion" in the daily newsletter that is delivered to your stateroom, but clearly state that one is expected to abide by the stated dress code.

You are correct.

We're just newbies to Celebrity, as you can see. We wear tuxedos on every cruise ship! Yes X fans, there are those who wear tuxedos even on CCL. We did see a man try to enter the MRD on The Equinox in just slacks and a shirt and he was handed a jacket to wear by the staff. I like the previous idea of just shopping around for an inexpensive sports coat and I imagine that your husband will be please that he took one with him. Regardless, enjoy your cruise!

As for the specialty dining option --- if 2 people pay 30.00 each for 1 night and there are two formal nights......that's $ 120.00. = more than enough for a nice sport coat..... Bite the bullet and have him buy a jacket. Your pictures will turn out so much better :D

... On our most recent cruise (the Summit 2 weeks ago) we had a couple who wore cowboy clothes on the formal nights (and just about every night) including their cowboy boots and cowboy hats (which they also wore in the showroom). There were more then a few snickers and lots of staring, but those two seemed very comfortable attracting attention.

Hank

I surely hope they removed their hats in the showroom when the show started...especially for those sitting behind them.

Tom

I have always thought the dress codes are suggestions, including formal nights. I did not think any cruise line has a mandatory dress code, including Celebrity. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

a well bred person follows proper dress.its sad when you see prople show up looking like they spent the night sleeping under a bridge

Well, I do not look like I spent the night under a bridge and am offended by your reply. I am not trying to break the rules, but was wondering what others have done acceptably. Besides, I know women wear dressy tank tops although the dress code states no tank tops.

We're just newbies to Celebrity, as you can see. We wear tuxedos on every cruise ship! Yes X fans, there are those who wear tuxedos even on CCL. We did see a man try to enter the MRD on The Equinox in just slacks and a shirt and he was handed a jacket to wear by the staff. I like the previous idea of just shopping around for an inexpensive sports coat and I imagine that your husband will be please that he took one with him. Regardless, enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the POLITE reply :). I think I will search our consignment shops...not hoping for much, he is thin with monkey arms! lol

Thanks for the POLITE reply :). I think I will search our consignment shops...not hoping for much, he is thin with monkey arms! lol

I love Consigment shops:D and nowadays they have clothes for

everyone. Men, women and children:)....use your local yellow

pages and remember, google is your friend:D

I surely hope they removed their hats in the showroom when the show started...especially for those sitting behind them.

Yikes...I just posted on another dress code post that my pet peeve is baseball hats worn in restaurants...this is even tackier:eek:

Well, I do not look like I spent the night under a bridge and am offended by your reply. I am not trying to break the rules, but was wondering what others have done acceptably. Besides, I know women wear dressy tank tops although the dress code states no tank tops.

You're misunderstanding the tank top code. What they mean by that are the white skimpy tank tops you see a lot of younger girls wearing--and leave little to the imagination--- or those wife beater tank t-shirts that men wear. Fancy tank tops that are silk/satin or beaded are not against the dress code.

If you read the dress code, you'll see that formal is a dark suit or tux. A shirt and tie, regardless of color, is not formal. A bare minimum is a sport jacket, shirt, dress slacks and jacket. Can he get away with what you suggested? Maybe...but I've seen people turned away when just wearing what you've asked about.

On our recent Constellation Cruise Formal Night was not enforced, at all. Table for six next to our table were nattily attired in jeans, tee shirts, and hoodies for the men. You can probably picture the women.

Bottom line, I don't worry about it any more.

On our recent Constellation Cruise Formal Night was not enforced, at all. Table for six next to our table were nattily attired in jeans, tee shirts, and hoodies for the men. You can probably picture the women.

Bottom line, I don't worry about it any more.

Neither do I, but I always dress black tie on formal night in the Blu.

Archived