Marina Review

orchestrapal

Clearly in this review the Australians are getting ripped off again by the GSA

They should have received the discounted fare by the TA if the priced dropped before final payment

They have to pay a higher deposit & if they cancel they get charged a fee

This has been addressed on several threads

Food is subjective so will not go there

It is too bad the cruise was not up to their expectations maybe going in knowing others had a discount put them off the enjoyment of the cruise

Even though food is subjective, how can anyone rate Marina's food at 2 is incomprehensible to me (unless they ate ONLY in the MDR, which is the only venue they mentioned). But even then.... What/where do they eat at home? I wonder what other cruises they took and how that food compared to Marina's?

There is no doubt in my mind that they never got over the disappointment of the price discrepancy.

I found the review...

Now, I know it is POSSIBLE that each of us may have a totally different view of a cruise experience...

I loved the Marina, this person may have hated it...

But I TRIED to get an idea as to WHY they hated it...

Now, the review was entirely negative...but it was also pretty sketchy and lacking in details...

I got that:

1) They were upset that others paid "a fraction of the price" they paid (Makes me wonder why they paid it? Even if one has to forfeit the deposit, you'd think it might be worth it if you could rebook at "a fraction of the price"...and, it sounds like their problem MIGHT be their travel agent).

2) They had trouble with their key card (Okay, that happens. The desk will replace it. Wouldn't kill my cruise experience.)

3) They "were very disappointed with the standard of the food on the Marina. The Grand Dining room choice, service and standard of meals was way below other cruises "...(This made me wonder what other cruises they HAD been on...we've been on seven different lines and I rank Oceania's food right at the top--without question. Yes, it is subjective TO A POINT...but this seemed over the top.)

4) Shore Excursions were expensive and they only did two and didn't like one. (In my rather lengthy experience with shore excursions, I have found it to be "hit and miss"...but ALL of the cruise lines use the same shorex providers so it's hard to fault Oceania too much here).

5) "The Cruise Director was most unfriendly and not at all interested in interacting with passengers" (I am not sure at all what they expected here).

6) "The Marina was not a well designed ship. One of the most disappointing features was the fitness track which was on a high deck out in the open with no cover or shelter from the hot sun or wind. The shower cubicle in the cabin was poor." (Okay, their prime examples of poor design are a) an outdoor jogging track on a high deck...what on earth were they expecting? Every ship on which I have sailed has placed the jogging track outdoors on the top deck!! and b) a "poor shower cubicle"??? Huhhh???

So, all of this really got me wondering...WHAT SHIPS HAS THIS PERSON BEEN ON?

Also curious as to their expectations...

So, what I generally do at this point is to "look them up" here on the message boards...One can usually lookk, at a minimum, at participation on roll calls and questions asked or answered on various boards and get a rather good idea as to a poster's cruise history and also get some clues as to what they are looking for in a cruise and see how they prepared for any particular cruise...

Guess what I found? ZERO participation on the message boards...

No one with the screen name "hydrangeas" even shows up on the Cruise Critic member list!!!

Did this person just stumble upon Cruise Critic and use the review function to take a shot?

[quote

Guess what I found? ZERO participation on the message boards...

No one with the screen name "hydrangeas" even shows up on the Cruise Critic member list!!!

Did this person just stumble upon Cruise Critic and use the review function to take a shot?

If I were a conspiracy theorist I would believe that this review came from a competitor.

Makes me think as well that there ought to be some threshold level of participation on CC before anyone is allowed to post a review.

My take is that they perceived that they had paid ALOT for their cruise therefore they expected ALOT. Many do not realize that when you pay for a suite you get the same dining room experience as those who book inside cabins. Many love the MDR for the relaxed dress code and no set dining times which may not have mattered at all to the reveiwers. I can see how mismatched expectations could cause that review.

[quote=pacheco18;31101355

If I were a conspiracy theorist I would believe that this review came from a competitor.

Makes me think as well that there ought to be some threshold level of participation on CC before anyone is allowed to post a review.

I agree with this concept.

Perhaps we should suggest this to Laura S?

I don't think requiring participation would work. Many lurk and never post because they do not like the confrontational nature of the boards.

You mean "they do not like the confrontational nature of the boards" but are not opposed to posting a review like this? :confused:

This OP is "asking" for confrontation, IMO.

I do not believe that anyone's first post should be a review, especially if it is a very negative one. The motives for such a posting are suspect, IMO

Of course, they can always be ignored or not taken seriously - as appears to be the case for this one

Quoted from Wikipedia

Hydrangeas are moderately toxic if eaten, with all parts of the plant containing cyanogenic glycosides.[4] Hydrangea paniculata is reportedly sometimes smoked as an intoxicant, despite the danger of illness and/or death due to the cyanide.[5]

There is a second review of the same cruise, more as we expect for ourselves.

I wonder if it was the same ship.

Actually there are FOUR other reviews of the same cruise -- the other 4 are generally very positive reviews but do contain criticisms -- those reviewers seem rational compared to Hydrangea. One of the other reviewers also complained about overpaying compared to others on board but it did not affect the contents of the review.

You mean "they do not like the confrontational nature of the boards" but are not opposed to posting a review like this? :confused:

This OP is "asking" for confrontation, IMO.

I do not believe that anyone's first post should be a review, especially if it is a very negative one. The motives for such a posting are suspect, IMO

Of course, they can always be ignored or not taken seriously - as appears to be the case for this one

I would guess that is why it is posted on the review board, to avoid all of us questioning what they posted. I am not sure but I think most of their negative comments are about subjective items, cost, food, etc. If it is factually inaccurate then maybe it should be moderated by the cruise review moderator. But it is reader beware when it's opinions, everyone has one, and you aren't always familiar with the source.

There is a second review of the same cruise, more as we expect for ourselves.

I wonder if it was the same ship.

I was on the same cruise. Food is subjective but you cannot ignore the quality of ingredients used. Definitely not 2stars !!

Pesonally I never discuss what we paid for a cruise or want to know what other people paid.

We pay what we are willing to pay and after that we just want enjoy the cruise.

I was on the same cruise. Food is subjective but you cannot ignore the quality of ingredients used. Definitely not 2stars !!

Pesonally I never discuss what we paid for a cruise or want to know what other people paid.

We pay what we are willing to pay and after that we just want enjoy the cruise.

I agree with you

I never ask what others pay it is none of my business

Why people feel the need to know what others pay I do not have any idea

Lyn

I never ask what others pay it is none of my business

Why people feel the need to know what others pay I do not have any idea

This comes up from time to time: people being upset that others paid less and it is a complete mystery to me how anyone knows this. Do you ask your table mate or tender neighbor "Say, how much did you pay to come along on my cruise?" I have been on 13 cruises and I have no clue how much more or less any of my fellow pax paid.

-----------------------

Helen

This comes up from time to time: people being upset that others paid less and it is a complete mystery to me how anyone knows this. Do you ask your table mate or tender neighbor "Say, how much did you pay to come along on my cruise?" I have been on 13 cruises and I have no clue how much more or less any of my fellow pax paid.

-----------------------

Helen

I agree

We were once asked on an NCL cruise by people we met at dinner :eek:

I did not answer

Lyn

It's like flying first/business class.

I once had a man next to me say that "this is not worth $4800" to which I just smiled as I was flying completly on miles (free) and my DH in the next seat had an upgrade for which we paid $1000.

Why on earth would anyone discuss what they paid?:confused:

I guaranty that I have paid less than some of you for some of my cruises...and I'm fairly certain that some of you have paid less than me...

And lots of folks are driving down the freeway in the same car as the one I own...but they may have paid more or less as well...

In most businesses, including cruises, prices are not standard and unchanging...

They fluctuate with the laws of supply and demand...

Some people have special discounts for a variety of reasons...Cruise lines offer deals for "residency", for seniors, to travel agents and others in the travel business...some cruise lines offer special deals and even free cruises to big gamblers--same as Vegas does...

...and some people just get in on a cruise deal at the "right time"--late if the cruise hasn't sold well (but with the trade-offs of lack of choice and higher associated costs such as airfare)...or during a sale or special of some sort...

Also, some people deal through travel agents that discount or offer incentives, others don't...

Lots of reasons many people aren't cruising for the same fare...

As to talking about it, sort of uncouth to throw it out or ask it of a tablemate at dinner on the cruise...

But, there are some contexts under which a discussion of cruise pricing is acceptable in my book...For example, here on Cruise Critic, on the Roll Calls, I HAVE discussed (and deem it appropriate to) things like advertised price drops, sales or specials, etc...It's sort of helpful and appropriate to the extent it may aid some of your fellow roll call members to jump in and avail themselves of the same deal...For example, on my upcoming Celebrity Century cruise, while scanning the web one day, I noticed that Celebrity had posted some lower "Senior" rates on our sailing...I called my TA and took advantage of the drop, then posted the info, generally, on the Roll Call--which allowed some of my cruise mates to follow suit...

Of course, some people are not nearly as diligent and may miss this sort of stuff...

The real key to the OP's complaing that others paid a fraction of what they paid is that it is really THEIR fault...They should have known to monitor the cruise fares and to know whether their were price drops they could have captured...If they did not show this diligence, they have only themselves to blame...

Perhaps, had they actually participated on the Cruise Critic message boards, one of their roll call mates may have alerted them to the possibilities...Or, perhaps, regular participation here might have taught them to monitor prices and how to deal with dropping prices...

...and, even with such, you can't always avail yourself of all of the deals you see...So, at some point, you live with your decisions...If someone else got a better deal, well, good for them...be happy with the deal you made...

And, if you bought a car you liked at a price you were willing to pay for it, don't get bent out of shape when your local dealer advertises a "loss-leader" on the same model at a lower price than you paid--it is going to happen...A lot of things you buy will be bought for others at a lesser price...and if you stress over all of them, you will be under a lot of stress...

We are sailing on marina on jan 23 and I did my research as best I could before agreeing with my wife what we would be willing to pay. Oceania is a step up for us and we are super excited. Our previous cruising experience has been with princess and costa. The last thing we are going to do is try to determine whether we were the couple that extracted the most value from the cruise line, we plan on enjoying every second- hence ten time invested in reading and participating in this forum!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.298185,-84.291464

Archived