It pays to live in Florida

gcuecruise

My husband and I purchased a home in Viera, Florida, about a year ago and plan to retire and move down in about 3 more years (we rented it out to a family with a 4-year lease). We are both cruise lovers AND Disney fans, so we can't wait to start enjoying all that Florida has to offer! :D Our new house is about 20 minutes drive from Port Canaveral, 1 hour from Orlando, 2 1/2 hours from Port Everglades, 3 hours from the Port of Tampa, etc., etc., etc...

Thought ya'll would fine this interesting.

Checking the price of our cabin for December 17, 2011/Oasis:

Current rate with no residency selected: $2065pp

Rate with Florida residency: $1799pp

We reserved in August 2010 and have our stateroom for $1009pp

(It's a C1 Central Park Balcony)

Plus no airfare of course. 4.5 hr drive for us.

Other than that, no state tax, and my job, not much else to like about living in Florida.

Sure is great for cruising. I'm envyous. Here in Erie Pennsylvania we don't have much to offer. We have to fly everywhere that is a great distance (like Florida). We're not much of a tourist attraction either. The only things we have to really offer are season changes (which can be quite spectacular) and ....oh ya.....the Largest Body of Fresh Water on the Planet, NO Hurricanes, NO Tornado's (o.k. one or two) NO Mud Slides, NO Floods, and, unfortunatly NO Direct flights to Florida (yet..) Just sayin............I kidd of course.....

I hear ya...though being born and raised in Michigan, we had a tad bit of water surrounding

us on 3 sides also. ;)

Now I have traded 3 sides of salt water for that fresh water. :)

Understand. I was refering to HOMES. Not exclusive to Erie. Could never understand why people who are in need of water, especially pure non-salted water, don't move to where the water is. ( yes I know....some things are not possible)

Remids me of that one comedian (kinda crass... who was killed in a car accident) during his standup routine referenced hunger in some nations. He said...."Why don't you move to where the food is..?" Not meant to be funny but, he made a point. Just sayin.......

Ya know, Kathy. Some of us like it here. However, even I could do without the I-4 corridor. :D

Oops Sorry Freddie:o:o.......now if you were my neighbor,I'd LOVE to live there:)

(Check your FB inbox when you get a chance)

Understand. I was refering to HOMES. Not exclusive to Erie. Could never understand why people who are in need of water, especially pure non-salted water, don't move to where the water is. ( yes I know....some things are not possible)

Remids me of that one comedian (kinda crass... who was killed in a car accident) during his standup routine referenced hunger in some nations. He said...."Why don't you move to where the food is..?" Not meant to be funny but, he made a point. Just sayin.......

And the frozen water in giant floating cubes (dwindling unfortunately :( ) is up in the Artic.

Not really in a mood to move up there either. ;)

All in good humour....come on down to visit...we would love to have you...in our salty world! :D

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I know this thread is a little old, but I am hoping for some additional information. My husband and I are planning to visit the FLL area later this month. While we are there, our goal is to initially do some driving around, exploring the surrounding areas -- probably within 1 - 1-1/2 hours of the FLL area. My husband is close to retiring. We are New Englanders and would like to start out renting during the winter months in the hopes of eventually moving altogether when we find something that fits. We are not sure where to start, and don't really know what we are looking for at this point, so I thought I would ask here. We would like to be close to but not necessarily live on the beach. We like to walk so it would be a nice bonus if we could walk to shops or restaurants.

I would love to hear suggestions, experiences and thoughts about the different communities and favorite areas from snowbirds or anyone who lives in Florida or has relocated to Florida. Would love to know what YOU love about where you live. Thanks so much!!!!

Nancy

Hello,

I know this thread is a little old, but I am hoping for some additional information. My husband and I are planning to visit the FLL area later this month. While we are there, our goal is to initially do some driving around, exploring the surrounding areas -- probably within 1 - 1-1/2 hours of the FLL area. My husband is close to retiring. We are New Englanders and would like to start out renting during the winter months in the hopes of eventually moving altogether when we find something that fits. We are not sure where to start, and don't really know what we are looking for at this point, so I thought I would ask here. We would like to be close to but not necessarily live on the beach. We like to walk so it would be a nice bonus if we could walk to shops or restaurants.

I would love to hear suggestions, experiences and thoughts about the different communities and favorite areas from snowbirds or anyone who lives in Florida or has relocated to Florida. Would love to know what YOU love about where you live. Thanks so much!!!!

Nancy

DH and I moved to Florida 9 years ago when my DH retired. We live in Port St. Lucie right over the line of Jensen Beach. Jensen Beach is a great community very close to the Ocean. There are lots of "snow birds" who have either a 2nd home or condo in this area.

We love this area and found it by taking a few extra days each time we cruised. We would rent a car and drive to different communities.

Good luck in your search.

Nancy, we have lived in S. Ft. Myers for may years;and, we love it. The proximity to many beautiful gulf beaches is outstanding. And, of course, there are a plethora of homes and condos right on the various beaches. We owned one of the aforesaid on Estero Island for over ten years, but then sold same and moved inland. Inland being only about 10-20 minutes from some delightful beaches.

We are in the process of looking at different places to retire one day in Florida once we retire. WE have been looking at places to buy and rent. It seems like the past 6 months they have gone steadily up. I read the remarks all the times too. Am always looking for tips too. Esther saveadogaday50@gmail.com

I would guess that with the state of our economy that the prices will not escalate; and, may decrease. One point to consider is to buy during low season.

My directions are from S. Ft. Myers to FLL. Of course, Port St. Lucie is east of us.

Thanks. We are thinking of taking one overnight and exploring the Ft. Myers area and then another day or two just driving around FLL on A1A.

It sure does, I just booked 3 day cruise on the Majesty of the Seas for $149 p/p in a Superior Ocean View Room for next weekend. Was deciding between Disney (4 day tickets for Residents are $129) and a cruise. Was almost about to go Disney but then this Hot Deal came along and I jumped on it.

The perks of loving to travel and living in Florida :)

It sure does, I just booked 3 day cruise on the Majesty of the Seas for $149 p/p in a Superior Ocean View Room for next weekend. Was deciding between Disney (4 day tickets for Residents are $129) and a cruise. Was almost about to go Disney but then this Hot Deal came along and I jumped on it.

Lol I was thinking the same thing. But I ended up deciding on Disney. Going next month.

I just did the same thing! I booked this past Saturday and we leave on the Majesty on the 11.

Jack -- would you say Fort Myers is about 2 hours from FLL? We are thinking about staying over and exploring that area as well as the the Delray and Port St. Lucie areas closer to FLL.

Thanks!

Yes. I live in both Brickell, Miami and Naples, Fl which take me 2 hours to drive. It's half an hour from here to Fll and 1/2 hour from Naples to Fort Myers.

Archived