It pays to live in Florida

gcuecruise

I lived in central FL (Polk County) from 1979 - 1997...I graduated high school there so it will always be "home"...I sure do miss a whole lot about it down there but I got to where I couldnt take the heat down there anymore....:( Thankfully, Im still well within driving distance of Port Canaveral and Tampa so I can at least enjoy 3 RCI ships........Fort Lauderdale isnt too terribly far away either......about 12 hours.

I envy you! I have pretty much taken over the driving and I'm very nervous about the traffic in south Florida. If we want to leave from Miami or FLL we have to fly the hour from Orlando or Jacksonville, and flying is no longer a fun part of the vacation. So basically, it's either fly or drive to Canaveral.

It's been a while since we've been on RCCL. Please sell me on why this is a good ship (FOS) for us oldies.

I envy you! I have pretty much taken over the driving and I'm very nervous about the traffic in south Florida. If we want to leave from Miami or FLL we have to fly the hour from Orlando or Jacksonville, and flying is no longer a fun part of the vacation. So basically, it's either fly or drive to Canaveral.

It's been a while since we've been on RCCL. Please sell me on why this is a good ship (FOS) for us oldies.

Have you tried the bus service that operates in Florida and goes to the ports? I believe it is called "Cruise Connection" but I could be wrong. DH and I did this a couple of year's ago from Port St Lucie (stop was in Palm City) to Miami. It was reasonably priced and got us to the port in plenty of time. We did, however, stop by Ft. Lauderdale on our way to Miami so it was a bit longer than if we drove but we sat back and watched a movie on the bus. I, also, HATE South Florida traffic.

Yes, I did. I leaves from Daytona Beach at 6:30 AM, which means we have to be there before 6 and since parking is not easy my daughter would have to get up and drive us, and I hate to ask her to do that at such an early hour. Also, I'm not sure my husband would be comfortable sitting in a bus for such a long time. I don't mean to be difficult, I really don't, but I spend my life trying to make it easy and smooth for him. The ports aren't much of an issue because at this point we pretty much enjoy the ship as a destination.

It is my understanding that the Villages is the largest retirement community in the world; and, that residents must be over the age of 55. I also understand that children and even grandchildren are allowed for visits, but home ownership is restricted to the 55 plus age group.

Are you a homeowner in the Villages? If so, are you under the age of 55?

I apologize,, jumped the gun as usual:o.. We live in the tampa bay are,,near clearwater,,,would have liked to live in the Villages, but our kids and grandkids are in this area:)...

Hi Esther,,,The Freedom is a wonderful ship for "oldies" and young families,,we will be taking our second cruise on her this coming january,,,service is great, crew is very friendly...We live in Tampa Bay area and it takes us about 3 hrs to get here..:)

The best cruise I ever took was "Lady of the Lake" on Lake Chelan from Lucerne to the town of Chelan - down the lake after hiking 50 miles over the Cascade Range from the west side. Stunning scenery.

Thanks!! We did not take that tour the first time we were there, but won't miss it this time around!

Yes, I did. I leaves from Daytona Beach at 6:30 AM, which means we have to be there before 6 and since parking is not easy my daughter would have to get up and drive us, and I hate to ask her to do that at such an early hour. Also, I'm not sure my husband would be comfortable sitting in a bus for such a long time. I don't mean to be difficult, I really don't, but I spend my life trying to make it easy and smooth for him. The ports aren't much of an issue because at this point we pretty much enjoy the ship as a destination.

I don't think that you are being difficult at all. We only did it once and my husband was not happy with sitting on the bus. We now try to cruise out of Port Canaveral as it is a better drive for us. We will go to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami if the price it right! Oh, and I LOVE FOS. We are going on it for the third time in November.

What do you mean?

my curiosity is running rampant too :D my mother and step dad almost wound up there but settled for the Concord Charlotte NC area to be close to the grandkids.

they spent a week at the Villages with some friends and had a blast though

Yup. PC, but beachside. It's the quiet part of Florida. FB is fun, isn't it?:)

Yes, we both loved FB.....but since my ex husband still lives there....ummm...I like living

an hour and a half south now. ;)

Plus being 5 miles from PC is a nice perk! :D

What do you mean?

my curiosity is running rampant too :D my mother and step dad almost wound up there but settled for the Concord Charlotte NC area to be close to the grandkids.

they spent a week at the Villages with some friends and had a blast though

It was reported on the local news sometime back that it is somewhat of I swinger community.

I find that quite amuzing knowing the make up of the residents.

Hi everyone. Now live in MI but just bought a condo in Ocean Village on Hutchinson Island. Haven't been there many days yet but kind of miss it already. Today isn't bad here but those cold, dreary days will be coming soon:(. We will be spending Christmas and New Years there this year so it will be quite different with warm instead of cold and snow. My DH has this great idea of walking the beach at midnight new years eve with a beer in one hand and a sparkler in the other!! Don't think our kids wil appreciate that picture:) (they both live here in MI).

Also, only 2 hours from Ft. Lauderdale. Will have to check on uping our cruises since it sounds easy to do.

OK... silly question. I know how to dress for winter here, but is it shorts (sundresses) weather there in Dec-Jan? Really confused on what to pack.

Thanks.

Hi everyone. Now live in MI but just bought a condo in Ocean Village on Hutchinson Island. Haven't been there many days yet but kind of miss it already. Today isn't bad here but those cold, dreary days will be coming soon:(. We will be spending Christmas and New Years there this year so it will be quite different with warm instead of cold and snow. My DH has this great idea of walking the beach at midnight new years eve with a beer in one hand and a sparkler in the other!! Don't think our kids wil appreciate that picture:) (they both live here in MI).

Also, only 2 hours from Ft. Lauderdale. Will have to check on uping our cruises since it sounds easy to do.

OK... silly question. I know how to dress for winter here, but is it shorts (sundresses) weather there in Dec-Jan? Really confused on what to pack.

Thanks.

We had a record cold with freezing here last December. I was in jeans and sweatshirts with a jacket....but then again I am used to warm weather. My sister from Wisconsin would have been in shorts! :eek:

Our highs were in the low 50's and it got down to the upper 20's here in Merritt Island. Though my other sister (who also lives on Hutchinson Island) did not not have the freezing temps, it was still in the 50's.

But things change and it could be record warm spell this winter too. It is currently 70 degrees here, sunny, breezy, dry and beautiful! :)

Thanks Island Lady. I guess I will just watch the temps as we get closer to leaving and then decide at that time. Even 50's is much better than what we have here. And we probably also will be the ones in short sleeved shirts and no sweater. And hopefully those darn no-see-em bugs will be gone so we can keep the windows open (I know -- it's in the 50's -- too cold), but it is 57 here now and I have some windows open. Must be in the middle of on-going hot flashes:). Oops, to much information.

We spent 3 years in Jacksonville area, and I heard that the Villages has the highest rate of STDs of any community in the country! :eek:

It isn't a rumor. The Villages has a very bad reputation here in Florida. My MIL and FIL moved out of The Villages and to another 55+ community due to a problem with infidelity and, like you mentioned, sex related diseases and domestic problems. They couldn't handle the drama anymore and got far away from that place.

It isn't a rumor. The Villages has a very bad reputation here in Florida. My MIL and FIL moved out of The Villages and to another 55+ community due to a problem with infidelity and, like you mentioned, sex related diseases and domestic problems. They couldn't handle the drama anymore and got far away from that place.

The Villages is about 15 mins from us......at first I thought I would like to live there,but with the STD rate:eek::eek: and the rules and regulations they have for living there,we are setting our sights to move back near the water someday..Besides try going to one of their restaurants now.......you can't get in..........it's snowbird season!!

Archived