It pays to live in Florida

gcuecruise

Thought I would chime in with a few words from Florida's "Nature Coast" and what else Florida has to offer.

We relocated here 19 years ago from NYC, when hubby retired early. Immediately loved the area because it reminded us of upstate NY, rather than the hotter and more humid Orlando Florida area we were familiar with from previous vacations to WDW. From within minutes to under an hour away from the Gulf of Mexico, several first magnitude crystal clear springs, beautiful spring-fed rivers, national forests, numerous state parks and nature preserves. Rolling hills and huge oak and pine trees in a country setting filled with the most fascinating flora and fauna! Trips to theme parks, formerly a mega-vacation expense, were now under 2 hours away, with resident discounts to boot! Yet daughters, then 12 and 15, HATED it here until they discovered Florida had BOYS too!!

When we resumed cruising, we had a choice of 5 ports all within driving distance. It only took us one cruise on RC to fall in love with their product. With resident or senior discounts, and lots of activites for our grandson, cruising offers us the most value for our dollars.

And because Florida has no state or local income tax, we have more dollars left for cruising!

We spent 3 years in Jacksonville area, and I heard that the Villages has the highest rate of STDs of any community in the country! :eek:

Holy Moly!!!!!!!!!!!! What you learn on CC. The only thing I know about the Villages is golf carts, few cars, lots of golf and many tornadoes set down. I think we'll stay on the coast! The minute we cross any bridges to the barrier island the temps drop and the sea breeze kicks up.

Hi everyone. Now live in MI but just bought a condo in Ocean Village on Hutchinson Island. Haven't been there many days yet but kind of miss it already. Today isn't bad here but those cold, dreary days will be coming soon:(. We will be spending Christmas and New Years there this year so it will be quite different with warm instead of cold and snow. My DH has this great idea of walking the beach at midnight new years eve with a beer in one hand and a sparkler in the other!! Don't think our kids wil appreciate that picture:) (they both live here in MI).

Also, only 2 hours from Ft. Lauderdale. Will have to check on uping our cruises since it sounds easy to do.

OK... silly question. I know how to dress for winter here, but is it shorts (sundresses) weather there in Dec-Jan? Really confused on what to pack.

Thanks.

Hutchinson Island is about 10 minutes from where I live. That is actually the beach where we go. It is a wonderful location with nice blue water and lots of sea shells. Anything goes as far as the clothes that you wear. I will wear jeans during the winter months but I didn't do that when we first moved down here. Those of us that live here can always tell the newcomers and visitors by the clothes. Funny story - We were driving to our new home in Florida and we stopped for dinner. We were in north Florida. It was chilly to those that live here. To us, coming from Maryland in December it was a breath of fresh air. There were 4 of us and we sat outside at the restaurant. The waitress was freezing as she was taking her order and one of the first things that she asked was where we were from. Now I can understand that as I have been here 7 years and my body is so used to the warm weather that when we have a cold spell I need a winter coat and gloves. My family and friends from up north make fun of me when they visit and I am all bundled up.

I hope that you enjoy your time on Hutchinson Island. You will have to visit during sea turtle breeding season where you can actually go on the beach and watch those huge turtles make their way out of the ocean, lay their eggs, cover them and make their way back into the ocean. It is an amazing thing to see. Oh, and be sure to try Shuckers restaurant on Hutchinson Island. It's Ocean front and a nice place to visit.

I have my Florida winter weather story too. When we first moved here (in 1996) I went to Publix in December. There was a cold snap (mid-50s), but I didn't know it and left the house in shorts. Yes, I was a little cold, but not uncomfortable.

I saw a woman in a fur coat and ear muffs! But guess what! No one paid her any mind...everyone was looking at and asking me "aren't you cold?" :D

I have my Florida winter weather story too. When we first moved here (in 1996) I went to Publix in December. There was a cold snap (mid-50s), but I didn't know it and left the house in shorts. Yes, I was a little cold, but not uncomfortable.

I saw a woman in a fur coat and ear muffs! But guess what! No one paid her any mind...everyone was looking at and asking me "aren't you cold?" :D

Moved here in Dec 1990........went to the Christmas Boat parade in Clearwater and wore shorts!!!! LOVED it and have never looked back!

Hi -- We live in New England and really like it here most of the time, but the older we get, the more we dislike the winters! :( My husband is three or so years away from retirement and we love Florida. We are considering relocating or maybe starting out as "snowbirds" to see which areas we like. How do you decide and where do you start?

We have been to the FLL and Miami areas and to Orlando many times, and to the Plant City and Tampa areas. We want to be near the beach (or on the beach) ;) and close to the cruise ports. Our daughter is in FLL (but that could be temporary) so we are thinking of somewhere around that area but we are still open to the Tampa area as well. We will probably fly down at some point and drive around to look at different areas. What are some nice areas to consider? I am following this thread with interest and would appreciate any suggestions or advice about relocating to Florida.

Thanks!

Thank you!

Hi -- We live in New England and really like it here most of the time, but the older we get, the more we dislike the winters! :( My husband is three or so years away from retirement and we love Florida. We are considering relocating or maybe starting out as "snowbirds" to see which areas we like. How do you decide and where do you start?

Thank you!

Prior to moving to Florida we would rent a car either before or after the cruise, and sometimes both, and drive around different areas of Florida. We would stay at hotels in different towns and talk to people that lived in the area. It's fun to check out the different areas. We knew that we wanted to be on the east coast and we wanted to be east of US 1 (a major road that runs north to south) because the ocean was calling our name. Good luck.

We have been to the FLL and Miami areas and to Orlando many times, and to the Plant City and Tampa areas. We want to be near the beach (or on the beach) ;) and close to the cruise ports. Our daughter is in FLL (but that could be temporary) so we are thinking of somewhere around that area but we are still open to the Tampa area as well. We will probably fly down at some point and drive around to look at different areas. What are some nice areas to consider? I am following this thread with interest and would appreciate any suggestions or advice about relocating to Florida.

Thanks!

Thank you!

Check out Cocoa Beach area. We love it. Prices are great on the ocean right now. Some areas not as nice as other as it does have lots of 60's ranch style homes but that does help the ocean view price in many condos. We notice all ages when we go out so you don't feel out of place if young or old.

Thanks!

Thank you!

We live in the Tampa area and I would certainly recommend this area,,we have everything here,,all the wonderful shows,,hockey, football,baseball and much more:).. We came down here in 1992 and have never looked back(family is here also, so that helps).. Also we are 3hrs, from Pt.Canaveral,,Tampa also has a great cruise port, do some research and see how you like it.:D

Moved here in Dec 1990........went to the Christmas Boat parade in Clearwater and wore shorts!!!! LOVED it and have never looked back!

Funny that really blew me away also,,,Christmas shopping in shorts the first year was great,,and we do love the Boat parades:D.. We came down in 1992 and never looked back either:)..

Thanks!

Thank you!

Although I love Orlando (the home of Mickey Mouse),,love to go there,,,but wouldn't consider living there,,also Miami is crazy,,Plant City nice area too:cool:

I envy you! I have pretty much taken over the driving and I'm very nervous about the traffic in south Florida. If we want to leave from Miami or FLL we have to fly the hour from Orlando or Jacksonville, and flying is no longer a fun part of the vacation. So basically, it's either fly or drive to Canaveral.

It's been a while since we've been on RCCL. Please sell me on why this is a good ship (FOS) for us oldies.

We were on FOS in Sept for our 65th anniversary(you do the math).We loved the ship, the promenade was fun to people watch but there were also a lot of nooks to sit and read and still see the ocean,the solarium was great.The ship is much more accessable than the Oasis.The Diamond club on deck 14 was lots of fun at happy hour with a great view, the concierge was on the ball with a check list. We also used it during the day to read with a cappucino. We didn't go to the CL because it was very small with no windows.Captain Rob is a hoot.You will love it. We are going back Dec.11.God willing;)

We were on FOS in Sept for our 65th anniversary(you do the math).We loved the ship, the promenade was fun to people watch but there were also a lot of nooks to sit and read and still see the ocean,the solarium was great.The ship is much more accessable than the Oasis.The Diamond club on deck 14 was lots of fun at happy hour with a great view, the concierge was on the ball with a check list. We also used it during the day to read with a cappucino. We didn't go to the CL because it was very small with no windows.Captain Rob is a hoot.You will love it. We are going back Dec.11.God willing;)

We love the FOS also and were on it the end of August. We spent time in the Diamond lounge during the day playing cards. And, we will be back on there on December 11, God willing! See you there.

We moved to Brooksville Florida eight years ago, got married on the beach and have never regretted it. We feel sorry for our relatives in NJ. Oh, got our tax bill today $349.00 for the year. In NJ we paid around $4000.00. Also our homeowners insurance is around $1000.00. No outraegous hurricane surcharge.

Thanks!

Thank you!

You may wish to consider SWFL-access to a plethora of beautiful gulf beaches. As a matter of fact, I am considering visiting Sanibel tomorrow.

Funny that really blew me away also,,,Christmas shopping in shorts the first year was great,,and we do love the Boat parades:D.. We came down in 1992 and never looked back either:)..

and Palm Harbor is where we first moved to!!:D

Although I love Orlando (the home of Mickey Mouse),,love to go there,,,but wouldn't consider living there,,
I agree....would NEVER move to that area at all........

We moved to Brooksville Florida eight years ago, got married on the beach and have never regretted it. We feel sorry for our relatives in NJ. Oh, got our tax bill today $349.00 for the year. In NJ we paid around $4000.00. Also our homeowners insurance is around $1000.00. No outraegous hurricane surcharge.

got ours(tax) today.........more than yours $1199.88. homeowners was $1800 last year:eek:

That is coquina sand. It is a mixture of ground shells and white sand. The only thing wrong with Florida in my opinion, is we don't have good jurors. And you who live here know exactly what I mean ;)

I TOTALLY Agree with you! :)

Another good reason to live in Fla is that you can cruise out of 3 ports, without the cost of airfare. Right now, you can get a cabin on the Monarch of the seas for 129.00 per person, which is a mighty fine 4 night cruise!

I moved here from Ohio, and wouldn't live anywhere else!

In FLORIDA, you can cruise out of 5 ports:

* Miami (east coast south FL)

* Ft Lauderdale (east coast south FL)

* Port Canaveral (east coast central FL)

* Jacksonville (east coast north FL)

* Tampa (west coast central FL)

We are always on the look for a great CRUISE DEAL!!!

We have cruised on the Monarch for $119 per person on Ocean View Cabin.

And we also cruised on a last minute deal (two weeks before departure), the Oasis, a balcony cabin for $649 per person....

I LOVE LIVING IN FLORIDA!!!!

Archived