It pays to live in Florida

gcuecruise

...much rather do that than live in such a sorry state!

But, some people enjoy their delusions thinking the state is so great, they are welcome to it!

Good Lord. What crawled up your keester today?

I'm very happy with the state I chose to reside in. No delusion here at all. Ever hear the saying "Different Strokes.....?" I grew up in the Northeast, and I agree parts are beautiful, but my quality of life is much better down here and my view of the crystal clear turquoise waters off my patio are, to me, prettier than anything I've seen up North. Again, that's to "me." ;)

We live very close to the port of Phoenix. It would be great if a cruise line would consider stopping by every so often. Oh, and your state is better than my state:)
That must be where the bridge is that someone wanted me to buy.:rolleyes:

It just occurred to me - why should we be the only ones that name our weather (Andrew, Francis, Jeanne, Wilma)? Perhaps the major snowstorms should also be given names. They seem to do as much damage as the hurricanes, at least to the vegetation. Wonder if insurance companies in the Northeast will require separate snow insurance. Maybe I shouldn't have said that...

Art

It just occurred to me - why should we be the only ones that name our weather (Andrew, Francis, Jeanne, Wilma)? Perhaps the major snowstorms should also be given names. They seem to do as much damage as the hurricanes, at least to the vegetation. Wonder if insurance companies in the Northeast will require separate snow insurance. Maybe I shouldn't have said that...

Art

Nice try but I really don't think any snow storm does the damage that the hurricanes do. Guess you just have that delusional factor to the extreme. Those of us that live in the northeast are the ones that have to subsidize your insurance. So, not only is Florida an ugly state, it's also a financial drain. Another point, a previous post mentioned the crystal clear turquoise water, that poster must be looking at a pool, because the water around Florida is neither crystal clear nor turquoise. Those terms are complete exaggerations when describing Florida!

Nice try but I really don't think any snow storm does the damage that the hurricanes do. Guess you just have that delusional factor to the extreme. Those of us that live in the northeast are the ones that have to subsidize your insurance. So, not only is Florida an ugly state, it's also a financial drain. Another point, a previous post mentioned the crystal clear turquoise water, that poster must be looking at a pool, because the water around Florida is neither crystal clear nor turquoise. Those terms are complete exaggerations when describing Florida!

I'm not exactly sure why people are so nasty when it comes to where others live. It truly brings back memories of when I was a child. Anyway, I am originally from Maryland where I raised my children. It is a beautiful state. I enjoy the seasons. I now live in the beautiful state of Florida. Yes, I believe Florida is a beautiful state also. One cannot really speak of the living conditions in ANY state unless you have live there. In my opinion all states have beauty. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Florida is not for everyone. Florida does have flaws (like any other state). There are lots of old people in Florida. There are hurricanes in Florida. DH retired and that's when we moved down here. For us, it is a wonderful place. I do miss my seasons but I can always hop on a plane when the trees are changing color and get my fix.

I do not miss the snow/ice storms in Maryland. I do not miss the cold weather. I love the warm weather and I would much prefer months of humid heat than the cold, damp weather of Maryland winters. And, I can assure you that Florida summers, although longer, are much easier to get thru than the summers in Maryland.

Oh, and we DO have clear, blue water in the area that I live. I live on the Treasure Coast and, unless a storm is stirring, our water is absolutely beautiful. So, I'm not sure which beaches you visited but I can tell you, first hand, that if you visit Jensen Beach the waters are stunning!

Everyone have a good day and enjoy the state that you are in! :)

It seems you have been so busy knocking Florida you haven't seen any news reports of all the damage the Oct. sno-storm has done in the northeast.I do want to thank you for one thing with all of the hate you are spewing we don't need to worry about you about you coming to our beautiful state, thanks again.:rolleyes:

It seems you have been so busy knocking Florida you haven't seen any news reports of all the damage the Oct. sno-storm has done in the northeast.I do want to thank you for one thing with all of the hate you are spewing we don't need to worry about you about you coming to our beautiful state, thanks again.:rolleyes:

Well said! ;)

Living near the port and watching ships leave every day makes you want to cruise more frequently.So we just dream we are on the ships when they sail away into the ocean at Port Canaveral.And pretend we are in Viking crown lounge with our free drinks.

Well gee,,,do you have any idea how many "snowbirds" come down here in the winter and most of them are from your part of our great country...You are also wrong about the country subsidizing our insurance,,don't know where that came from...Sounds like sour grapes to me,,guess you had a bad experience down here...:cool:

Living near the port and watching ships leave every day makes you want to cruise more frequently.So we just dream we are on the ships when they sail away into the ocean at Port Canaveral.And pretend we are in Viking crown lounge with our free drinks.

Ahh...but it looks like you will be very soon! ;)

Me...have 39 more days yet.

Siesta Key, FLORIDA

siesta-key.jpg

Those that protest too much or are too adamant about not liking Florida may well be envious for whatever reason about not being able to enjoy paradise. I lived all my life in the northeast and couldn't wait for my husband to retire and move south. There is no perfect state (or country) so you live where you choose and your happiness is dependent on your attitude. Grumpy and obnoxious people will be that way no matter where they live.:)

Those that protest too much or are too adamant about not liking Florida may well be envious for whatever reason about not being able to enjoy paradise. I lived all my life in the northeast and couldn't wait for my husband to retire and move south. There is no perfect state (or country) so you live where you choose and your happiness is dependent on your attitude. Grumpy and obnoxious people will be that way no matter where they live.:)

Agree - I couldn't have said it better myself!

I wish cruise critic had a "like" button. :D

For those are thankful they did not have a snow like we just had here, all I can say is Andrew. While I currently live here, I did live in Fl for 23 years, and was there when Andrew struck. I moved because my job moved. Now that I am retired, I could imagine moving back.

Another point, a previous post mentioned the crystal clear turquoise water, that poster must be looking at a pool, because the water around Florida is neither crystal clear nor turquoise. Those terms are complete exaggerations when describing Florida!

Well, since you decided to attack my post, here some pictures I have taken from just of my house. Does this look like a freakn' pool? :rolleyes:

2278877670080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

2733389590080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

2771339370080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

If I buy a winter second home but maintain my residency in Indiana can I get the Florida discount?

Would not be a resident so no. Figure they base it on where your driver's license (or state ID for non-drivers) is issued. But as noted why maintain Ohio residency when FL has no income tax.

Now torn between where to retire to. Sequim, WA (no income tax there either) with cruises from Seattle and Vancouver or FL. :confused:

Without naming names (forbidden on CC so this ia a Yes-No question) are there TAs in FL that specialize in monitoring the lines and alerting locals to last minute resident deals? If there are and I need one I'll find them later. But curious if they exist.

Perhaps the major snowstorms should also be given names

One of the radio stations here has done that for years. Names them with Scandnavian boys names - Ander, Bjorn, Carl, Dag, Edvard, etc.... :D Gotta have something to smile about while waiting for it to stop so you can go blow the driveway out.

Would not be a resident so no. Figure they base it on where your driver's license (or state ID for non-drivers) is issued. But as noted why maintain Ohio residency when FL has no income tax.

Now torn between where to retire to. Sequim, WA (no income tax there either) with cruises from Seattle and Vancouver or FL. :confused:

Without naming names (forbidden on CC so this ia a Yes-No question) are there TAs in FL that specialize in monitoring the lines and alerting locals to last minute resident deals? If there are and I need one I'll find them later. But curious if they exist.

One of the radio stations here has done that for years. Names them with Scandnavian boys names - Ander, Bjorn, Carl, Dag, Edvard, etc.... :D Gotta have something to smile about while waiting for it to stop so you can go blow the driveway out.

I Love Washington state! :)

Going there again next year to Lake Chelan. Beautiful area!

Yes, my sister in upstate Wisconsin said they name their storms too. Maybe makes them

less wicked?? :eek: Going up to see them for Turkey day.....brrrrrrr..... Happy she

has that nice woodstove!

Can I just say...... I miss Florida soooo much! We were transferred there in 2007 and I NEVER thought I'd live in Florida. My husband had to drag me kicking and screaming into that state. And ya know what? 3 years later he REALLY had to drag me out of there kicking and screaming, and I now "get it." I "get" why people retire there and in about 15-20 years I hope to do the same.

There is so much to do in Florida, but I understand those who don't "get" it. I was one of them. But if you love the warm weather, love the ocean and beaches, love the theme parks, love nature, it is an absolutely incredible state to live in! First chance I get, I'm movin back!

Oh, and fantastic on the discounts!!! We took advantage of them for WDW but never jumped on the cruise discounts and I'm kicking myself now!

Archived