It pays to live in Florida

gcuecruise

Thought ya'll would fine this interesting.

Checking the price of our cabin for December 17, 2011/Oasis:

Current rate with no residency selected: $2065pp

Rate with Florida residency: $1799pp

We reserved in August 2010 and have our stateroom for $1009pp

(It's a C1 Central Park Balcony)

Plus no airfare of course. 4.5 hr drive for us.

Other than that, no state tax, and my job, not much else to like about living in Florida.

As a native of the state and one who loves the beaches, state parks, theme parks, St. Augustine, cruise ports, sand bottom lakes, warm water to swim in, Key West, the Gulf Coast, the sunrises on the east coast, the sunsets on the west coast, the warm winters, etc., for some reason I find that remark a little offensive. After all...no one is making you stay! Just as there are plenty of other cruise lines to choose from if you don't like one brand, thare are also plenty of states to choose from if you don't really care for FL.

Just saying...

Funny, DH and I were just discussing purchasing a home in FLA. Would love to cruise more than twice a year and no flying.

Ok, who knows of a good bargain, LOL

There are lots of good buys on homes here in Palm Coast, FL but no jobs!

If you are really interested, use Google Earth to check out home locations and to find out what is around each one. We did this when we were looking and were able to eliminate over half of the homes before we ever went looking.

As a native of the state and one who loves the beaches, state parks, theme parks, St. Augustine, cruise ports, sand bottom lakes, warm water to swim in, Key West, the Gulf Coast, the sunrises on the east coast, the sunsets on the west coast, the warm winters, etc., for some reason I find that remark a little offensive. After all...no one is making you stay! Just as there are plenty of other cruise lines to choose from if you don't like one brand, thare are also plenty of states to choose from if you don't really care for FL.

Just saying...

If having a different opinion offends you, then yes you should be offended.

No no one is making me stay, but if I want to be responsible for my family I do what I have to do.

Oh BTW, I am not a native of Florida, so I assume that is why our opinions differ. Everybody I know from Florida loves Florida. Although maybe I just offended somebody else....if so sorry.

And indeed I apologize if I offended you OGCFreddie.

Funny, DH and I were just discussing purchasing a home in FLA. Would love to cruise more than twice a year and no flying.

Ok, who knows of a good bargain, LOL[/uote]Tons of them in our beautiful area, Sarasota-Bradenton ,come on down.:D

I second the Sarasota/Bradenton area...If you're serious, I know of a 2-3BR/2 bath going on the market very soon.... :)

Sadly when we were in the Tampa area a few months ago there were "repo" signs all over....shouldn't be too hard to find a good deal....however the hurricane insurance could kill ya!:(

I know this subject is off topic....but I see you live in Alicante....we are going to be sailing Indy with a port stop there in June....I was wondering if you knew the dates when the Bonfires of Saint John festival is taking place there in 2012.

The final night of the San Juan festival in Alicante in 2012 is 23rd/24th June.

see here

http://www.spain.info/en/vive/fiestas/alicante/hogueras_de_san_juan.html

If you have the chance to be here do not miss it, it is wonderful. If you are on a cruise with a day calling at Alicante you will probably sail before the main festivities begin.

The time to move to Florida is now for insanely low home $$$$.

No state income tax , and 7 months of wonderful weather.

However , better have income from somewhere else as good paying jobs are scarce and you will need $$$ to cruise with . Hence all the retiree's here.

The final night of the San Juan festival in Alicante in 2012 is 23rd/24th June.

see here

http://www.spain.info/en/vive/fiestas/alicante/hogueras_de_san_juan.html

If you have the chance to be here do not miss it, it is wonderful. If you are on a cruise with a day calling at Alicante you will probably sail before the main festivities begin.

Sorry that should have been 24th/25th June (ie midnight or just after on the 24th for the main fireworks etc)

The time to move to Florida is now for insanely low home $$$$.

No state income tax , and 7 months of wonderful weather.

However , better have income from somewhere else as good paying jobs are scarce and you will need $$$ to cruise with . Hence all the retiree's here.

Really not true. We have lived in FL for 18 years, have had awesome jobs here and made really good money. Yes, we are on the downswing now, but DH still works full time and I work full time - have my own business out of the house instead of working for someone else.

Yes, got our townhome at a great price. But FL for jobs is not any worse than many other areas of the country. At least we have warm weather and gorgeous beaches instead of snow and ice 3/4 of the year. jobs are tough all over, not just Florida.

And Carnival out of Jacksonville. So there are 5.

Did not know Carnival still sailed out of JAX. Good to know our neighbors to the north

still have a cruise port! :)

I sailed out of Tampa for the first time this year and loved it. Tough to figure out where

to pull in to drop luggage and then the parking garage...but now that I have my bearings...can't wait to use that port again. Nice people there too.

Though I still think PC has the easiest to use and best cruise port with the most welcoming crew members! ;)

Thought ya'll would fine this interesting.

Checking the price of our cabin for December 17, 2011/Oasis:

Current rate with no residency selected: $2065pp

Rate with Florida residency: $1799pp

We reserved in August 2010 and have our stateroom for $1009pp

(It's a C1 Central Park Balcony)

Plus no airfare of course. 4.5 hr drive for us.

Other than that, no state tax, and my job, not much else to like about living in Florida.

Give me a break! Check below and see all the advantages to living in Florida and cruising RCL; D+, being a senior and retire military and LE!!!!!! Eat your heart out :D;):)

Check out Pompano Beach, just north of Port Everglades. We have been looking at condos with ocean views and/or inland waterway views for as little as $130k (needing fix-up work) to $250k remodeled. We live in central florida and think costal property for investment is ripe for the picking. And we'll have a place within 10 minutes of the port as well as all the other "Florida" advantages. Sorry, the border is not closed and you would be a legal immigrant!!

There are lots of good buys on homes here in Palm Coast, FL but no jobs!

If you are really interested, use Google Earth to check out home locations and to find out what is around each one. We did this when we were looking and were able to eliminate over half of the homes before we ever went looking.

We're in PC, too. I have a feeling houses will escalate over the next few years though. Where are you in PC? We're in the Hammock area

If having a different opinion offends you, then yes you should be offended.

No no one is making me stay, but if I want to be responsible for my family I do what I have to do.

Oh BTW, I am not a native of Florida, so I assume that is why our opinions differ. Everybody I know from Florida loves Florida. Although maybe I just offended somebody else....if so sorry.

And indeed I apologize if I offended you OGCFreddie.

No need to apologize, my friend. Like you said, different people have different opinions. Only pride in my home state made me post. Have a great time on your cruise!

We're in PC, too. I have a feeling houses will escalate over the next few years though. Where are you in PC? We're in the Hammock area

Here we are, in the "B" Section.

Briarvue-01-1.jpg

I paid $150K for the house two years ago and just got my current assessment which says it is worth $121K.

Now is an even better time to buy in Palm Coast than it was two years ago.

We've been here for 25 years and love every minute of it. Just got our tax bill today and I love getting a discount if it's paid by the end of November. Since we're smack between the ocean and ICW, we have to have flood insurance and hope for the best. However, watching the Weather Channel right now, I'm very glad we are where we are!!!

Archived