It pays to live in Florida

gcuecruise

Thought ya'll would fine this interesting.

Checking the price of our cabin for December 17, 2011/Oasis:

Current rate with no residency selected: $2065pp

Rate with Florida residency: $1799pp

We reserved in August 2010 and have our stateroom for $1009pp

(It's a C1 Central Park Balcony)

Plus no airfare of course. 4.5 hr drive for us.

Other than that, no state tax, and my job, not much else to like about living in Florida.

Agree. We like South FL.

When your backyard gives you Limes...you make Margaritas.

When your Mango trees are loaded...you make Daiquiris.

When a Hurricane is coming...you have a party.

When you live 4 miles from PE...you start cruising.

Our vacation time won't let us cruise as often as we'd like....

but it looks like another bumper crop. The blender is in good working

order and the floats are in the pool.

Funny, I actually miss ice fishing.

:cool:

Only 18 days till we make the LONG drive to Port Canaveral. The Internet has given me three ways to get there from Naples. Just do not know the best way to go. Anyone have the answer??? They are all 4 plus hours, arghhh!!! It's not so bad going...it's the coming home that is hard.....no pre-cruise excitement. Much prefer FLL or MIA! But must have that Cove balcony... so will endure the long drive. Plus we are going a couple of days early, cuz believe it or not I've lived in FL for 35 years and have never been to the Kennedy Space Center. Can't wait!!!

Only 18 days till we make the LONG drive to Port Canaveral. The Internet has given me three ways to get there from Naples. Just do not know the best way to go. Anyone have the answer??? They are all 4 plus hours, arghhh!!! It's not so bad going...it's the coming home that is hard.....no pre-cruise excitement. Much prefer FLL or MIA! But must have that Cove balcony... so will endure the long drive. Plus we are going a couple of days early, cuz believe it or not I've lived in FL for 35 years and have never been to the Kennedy Space Center. Can't wait!!!

You will love the IMax theaters at KSC. We just went there last weekend and loved it.

:D

Yes, we quite often drive down to Ft. Myers (relatives there and we like the area), plus they used to live on Marco Island near you. We find the best (and actually shorter) way to travel back and forth is to use Highway 27 through the middle of the state. Use Mapquest and click drag your mouse over to that way. It connects with I-4 just 5 miles from peeling off again onto South 417, which will bypass the busy Orlando attractions area, then connects to East bound 528 (also called Beechline now :rolleyes: ) We destest that awful ride up I-75 and even worse: The Tampa I-4 to Orlando route...nail biters both. :(

Agree. We like South FL.

When your backyard gives you Limes...you make Margaritas.

When your Mango trees are loaded...you make Daiquiris.

When a Hurricane is coming...you have a party.

When you live 4 miles from PE...you start cruising.

Our vacation time won't let us cruise as often as we'd like....

but it looks like another bumper crop. The blender is in good working

order and the floats are in the pool.

Funny, I actually miss ice fishing.

:cool:

Cute....as I have a huge Mango tree in my side yard, an avocado tree I grew from a pit (I ate it's mother :eek: ) 4 citrus trees (including that Margarita tree) banana trees, and many pineapple plants.

A little garden that I just planted a crop of green beans that are coming up already.

Ice fishing??? :eek: Oh heck no...I detested those frozen fish...Mrs. Pauls?? ;)

Me: My flats boat is hanging on the lift in my back yard over the canal waiting to take me

out all year long for fresh fish....yeah..it's a tough life here in Florida!

And I have to travel that long 5 miles to get to Port Canaveral to board my ship... :eek: ;)

Sorry that should have been 24th/25th June (ie midnight or just after on the 24th for the main fireworks etc)

Seems like some places do the big fireworks thing the night of the 23rd/24th.....I will be overnighting in Palma the night of the 23rd and it seems like from all i can find, that is the night they usually do their Nit de Froc http://www.seemallorca.com/news-events-and-what-s-on/events-festivals-and-fiestas-in-mallorca-and-palma-de-majorca.html

It does say the night can vary a bit from year to year....being that the 23rd next year falls on a Sat night I am hoping they stick to that date.

We find the best (and actually shorter) way to travel back and forth is to use Highway 27 through the middle of the state. Use Mapquest and click drag your mouse over to that way. It connects with I-4 just 5 miles from peeling off again onto South 417, which will bypass the busy Orlando attractions area, then connects to East bound 528 (also called Beachline now :rolleyes: ) We detest that awful ride up I-75 and even worse: The Tampa I-4 to Orlando route...nail biters both. :(

Interesting that we too use that route that takes us by Lake Okeechobee and St Cloud when we go to Naples. Very little traffic and more direct.

Seems like some places do the big fireworks thing the night of the 23rd/24th.....I will be overnighting in Palma the night of the 23rd and it seems like from all i can find, that is the night they usually do their Nit de Froc http://www.seemallorca.com/news-events-and-what-s-on/events-festivals-and-fiestas-in-mallorca-and-palma-de-majorca.html

It does say the night can vary a bit from year to year....being that the 23rd next year falls on a Sat night I am hoping they stick to that date.

I don't know about Mallorca but Alicante is 24th

If I buy a winter second home but maintain my residency in Indiana can I get the Florida discount? I would have an address and utility bills in Florida. Maybe my DH would have to move to FL and become a resident LOL .

Funny, DH and I were just discussing purchasing a home in FLA. Would love to cruise more than twice a year and no flying.

Ok, who knows of a good bargain, LOL

Great bargains to be had in the cape coral area. DH and I just purchased a house there. For now its a vacation home, hopefully soon it will be our primary home.

3 Bed 2 bath 2 car garage and Lanai with pool $100,000.00. Now thats what I call a deal.

I can't take a long cruise this year, but in a couple of years we will be able to go again and NO more flying either!!!!!!!!!

You will love the IMax theaters at KSC. We just went there last weekend and loved it.

:D

Yes, we quite often drive down to Ft. Myers (relatives there and we like the area), plus they used to live on Marco Island near you. We find the best (and actually shorter) way to travel back and forth is to use Highway 27 through the middle of the state. Use Mapquest and click drag your mouse over to that way. It connects with I-4 just 5 miles from peeling off again onto South 417, which will bypass the busy Orlando attractions area, then connects to East bound 528 (also called Beechline now :rolleyes: ) We destest that awful ride up I-75 and even worse: The Tampa I-4 to Orlando route...nail biters both. :(

Great idea as we are booked on Freedom Dec.11.Don't mind the I-75 so much but I do detest driving on I-4. We go the day before the cruise so have plenty of time, thanks.:cool:

There are lots of good buys on homes here in Palm Coast, FL but no jobs!

If you are really interested, use Google Earth to check out home locations and to find out what is around each one. We did this when we were looking and were able to eliminate over half of the homes before we ever went looking.

Well if there is a silver lining here............I grew up in FLorida.

The Urban Sprawl of the most recent several years is a heart break. At least with the slowed economy..........the builders/delvelopers have slowed their pace at their efforts to pave over our beautiful state and build on every inch while closing out the native animals and plant life. Florida is a beautiful state no doubt..........but there are others too! The United States is a wonderful land.

For optimum cruising travel time, come down to the center of the state:D. Port of Miami is our farthest port at only a 4.5 hr drive. Not a native, but chose FL for our home and love every day here that we are not cruising.

Hi:

We're planning to visit The Villages in January and then put our home on the market and buy in TV. Maybe our paths will cross.

Regards,

Arlene

Great idea as we are booked on Freedom Dec.11.Don't mind the I-75 so much but I do detest driving on I-4. We go the day before the cruise so have plenty of time, thanks.:cool:

You are most welcome! I will see you aboard on the 11th! :)

You are also welcome to come join our very active thread for this sail date! :D

Another good point in our location: we are about an hour from the Mayo Clinic and have a group of Mayo MDs who have an office in St. Augustine. We literally get our second opinion first.

My husband retired 25 years ago (very, very early retirement) and we moved here from the White Plains, NY area immediately. We live in a small gated community on the beach. A1A is the main drag and it's a 2-lane road, never to be made wider because it's been deemed "Scenic." Paradise? You betcha. We have never looked back (and we do have a son and his family "up there") nor do we ever take a glorious palm tree or sea breeze for granted. Yes, there are hurricanes, but we've been very fortunate, and every year ask each other where we would re-locate if we had to. We've driven cross country about 3 times since he's retired and there is no place (to us) like Florida.

Here's a didjaknow: humidity is vital for your skin.

We've spend a good amount of time on the Other Coast, and the traffic and smog scare the bejebbers out of us. But I'm very glad everyone doesn't share our opinion, or this poor state would sink.

Oh, and did I forget to mention no state income tax and a Homestead tax credit?:)

Funny, DH and I were just discussing purchasing a home in FLA. Would love to cruise more than twice a year and no flying.

Ok, who knows of a good bargain, LOL[/quote

Look in the Punta Gorda area, it just got named the most affordable place to retire. 3 hours to Miami,PC, PE and 2 hours to Tampa. Try A Clear Choice Realty, you can search all the homes for sale in the area on their website.

Nice Condos starting at $45,000!

If I buy a winter second home but maintain my residency in Indiana can I get the Florida discount? I would have an address and utility bills in Florida. Maybe my DH would have to move to FL and become a resident LOL .

No State Income Tax in Florida!

Look in the Punta Gorda area, it just got named the most affordable place to retire. 3 hours to Miami,PC, PE and 2 hours to Tampa. Try A Clear Choice Realty, you can search all the homes for sale in the area on their website.

Nice Condos starting at $45,000!

Please be very mindful of the condo fees that go with these bargains:eek: Many communities have lots of vacant properties with few people left to pay the fees...consiquently there are special assessments raising condo fees hundreds of dollars a month.

Also watch for homes that have been vacant for months, years.....mold is a terrible costly thing to deal with in FL.

Some forclosures have cement poured down the drains,,appliances destroyed,,,,raw meat left in walls,,,,just saying BE WISE AND CAREFUL a low price is not always the best price.

Just had to post here. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Florida. I live in the beautiful northeast where we have 4 seasons, yes it snows but our homes are well built and can keep us warm, streets are plowed and snow is handled, not like in the south where if they get a dusting they panic. In Florida you can't go outside comfortably in the spring or summer, even sometimes in the early fall because it is so humid. If you have a pet you can't leave that pet outside unattended for fear it will get eaten. I could go on, but I'll end with just how ugly the state is, a bump in the road is a hill and those palm trees are just too dirty and ugly! I'll gladly pay airfare to cruise from the ports, much rather do that than live in such a sorry state!

Archived