Antarctica Cruises on HAL After 2013?

HalFan

Any recent news on whether HAL will be permitted to sail to Antarctica after January 2013? I see only one cruise in December 2012 and one in January 2013 on the Veendam with that itinerary. When we were on the Rotterdam in September, the cruise consultant said that HAL was unsure about being allowed to cruise off the coast of Antarctica after January 2013. Thanks!

Any recent news on whether HAL will be permitted to sail to Antarctica after January 2013? I see only one cruise in December 2012 and one in January 2013 on the Veendam with that itinerary. When we were on the Rotterdam in September, the cruise consultant said that HAL was unsure about being allowed to cruise off the coast of Antarctica after January 2013. Thanks!

We were told by two very accurate sources on the Voyage of the Vikings this summer that the regulations for going to Antarctica will change in 2013, making it very expensive for ships to go there. (The sources: a lady who works for the Department of Defense, and verified by our very knowledgeable travel guide - one of HAL's premier travel guides) Apparently there will be new fuel regulations, which means that at least one ship will need to be refitted to use that grade of fuel.

This link gives a little more information:

http://www.imo.org/MediaCentre/PressBriefings/Pages/44-MARPOL-amends.aspx

The captain on our recent HAL cruise said the ship will have to unload its fuel and change to a lighter fuel to cruise in the Antarctic region. He indicated that was what HAL planned to do and did not seem to think the cruising would end for HAL in that area.

We were told that the ship would need to be "designed" (not the proper term most likely, but I compare it to back when gas tanks were switched from leaded to unleaded) for the lighter fuel. Once that was done, it couldn't be changed back. Something about the fuel system. While they indicated that it would probably happen with one of the ships, I was given the impression that trips to Antarctica would be more expensive because of all the new regulations. This is just what I was told by both the DoD employee and the HAL employee.

Thank you for your replies. I figured if HAL continues to sail in the Antarctic that the prices will go up. The small explorer-types ship cruises from Ushuaia now are extremely expensive!

I am happy to see this thread. DH and I are booked on the Prinsendam for January, 2013 on a 68 day Grand Voyage (we have never done anything like this before!) which includes cruising Antarctica. I recently checked the Destination Calendar for the Prinsendam and see that it does not have that ship going to South America/Antartica in January, 2013 but has it in the Caribbean and then Europe. The Veendam is cruising South America and Antarctica in January, 2013 but it is not the same itinerary that we are currently booked on.

The Prinsendam, on which we are booked, is supposed to do a round trip from Ft. Lauderdale and go through the Panama Canal, cruise the Antarctic and go up the Amazon River before returning to Ft. Lauderdale.

Does anyone know if the Destination Calendar is correct or does the Destination Calendar regularly have mistakes in it? We have heard nothing from HAL about a change of itinerary and/or a change of ship and if I go to HAL's site I see that you can still book the Prinsendam cruise to South America/Antartica that we are scheduled to be on.

Please give me some encouraging news! :confused:

Yes, those destination calendars aren't very reliable and aren't kept up to date. I too hope that HAL doesn't stop cruising Antarctica. A lot of us baby boomers have it on our bucket lists! :D

...be of interest. No ship retrofitting will be needed but lighter fuel will be required (= more expensive).

Of course oversight of the IMC always comes into question (fuel police?).

BTW, the larger cruise ships have not been a problem in the past, the smaller, explorer vessels have been.

And so it goes...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/cruise-news/8654371/Fuel-regulations-send-Antarctic-cruise-costs-up.html

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

...be of interest. No ship retrofitting will be needed but lighter fuel will be required (= more expensive).

Of course oversight of the IMC always comes into question (fuel police?).

BTW, the larger cruise ships have not been a problem in the past, the smaller, explorer vessels have been.

And so it goes...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/cruise-news/8654371/Fuel-regulations-send-Antarctic-cruise-costs-up.html

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Bob,

Thanks so much for the article and we have been looking at all your fabulous pictures - fantastic! What kind of camera and lenses did you use? Maybe we'd better get on the ball and do something before the price goes up or HAL cancels the future cruises.

Also, how was the weather and how were the seas when you were in Antarctica and sailing around Argentina and Chile? Do you know if there's any difference between sailing eastbound or westbound?

Greg

Bob,

Thanks so much for the article and we have been looking at all your fabulous pictures - fantastic! What kind of camera and lenses did you use? Maybe we'd better get on the ball and do something before the price goes up or HAL cancels the future cruises.

Also, how was the weather and how were the seas when you were in Antarctica and sailing around Argentina and Chile? Do you know if there's any difference between sailing eastbound or westbound?

Greg

1. Canon D10's (DW & I) & a Sony DSCR1 (moi), +/- using Moose polarizing (warm) filters for sunny / glaring situations.

2. Weather (Jan. sail); beautiful with little in the way of heavy seas. I was actually looking forward to a little 'action' rounding the horn but it was just rainny with moderate seas. All in all it was wonderful HAL cruise.

3. Differnce in direction? not that I can see. We embarked in BA & prior to that toured BA (plus tango show, etc),flew up to Iguazi Falls for 3 days/ 2 nights, etc. Likewise we stayed in Santiago for a couple of nights to tour around and enjoy the city prior to heading back to Norte Ameicano.

Have a Great Cruise.

Bon Voyage & Good Health:)

• 1 month later...

We booked the MS Veendam Jan. 2013 cruise a few days ago with the FCC on our Zuiderdam cruise and followed up by our Personal Cruise Consutant at Hal, We were told last cruise to Antartica by both and that is why we booked this cruise that is already 85% booked.

We're booked on the upcoming Veendam January Antarctica trip. Funny, last year when we booked the trip, they were also saying they didn't think they'd be doing it anymore. Sales tactic perhaps??

But, I will say do it while you can. We did a similar itinerary on Princess twice when they were still doing it...........and here we go again for the third time!

Princess, Crystal, Regent have all pulled out for the economic impact that having to pump off tens of thousands of gallons, and re fill It would take a full day or 2 of down time , This is on both ends of the cruise so say there are 4 days when the ship is not earning revenue.

Then there is the labor and storage costs for the heavy fuel. And dont forget the double cost of the ligher fuel.

Now consider that they will have to do this in Santiago or Buenos Aires where there are ship services that can perform this taks. Then you will have to sail not hunderds of miles with the lighter fuel but thousands of miles!!! All burning the $$$$$$$ stuff. Were talking a million dollar+ operation according to an engineering officer

Finaly in this economy they woudl have to add about $1000-1500 per person making a 4000 pp fare to 5500 which is within 1000 of the ice ships out of Argentina The traffic will not bear that.

The whole idea if the fuel in not ecology. It is a clever way to price out competition from the local economy. Not outlawing but making the economics so restrictive as to have the same effect. How do you protect your monololy in Chilie... and Argentinia... !!!!

I will bet that the Jan/Feb cruises by Holland and Celeb are the last.

Looking at a 2012 calender I see no other ships but these 2 Veendam and Indinity. a total of 4 cruises in 2013... If your going to do this and dont have 10-16,000 pp for a 14 day then this is your last best chance.

I am going on Cleb because its $3000 cheaper. I was on Veendam.

:rolleyes:

1. Canon D10's (DW & I) & a Sony DSCR1 (moi), +/- using Moose polarizing (warm) filters for sunny / glaring situations.

2. Weather (Jan. sail); beautiful with little in the way of heavy seas. I was actually looking forward to a little 'action' rounding the horn but it was just rainny with moderate seas. All in all it was wonderful HAL cruise.

3. Differnce in direction? not that I can see. We embarked in BA & prior to that toured BA (plus tango show, etc),flew up to Iguazi Falls for 3 days/ 2 nights, etc. Likewise we stayed in Santiago for a couple of nights to tour around and enjoy the city prior to heading back to Norte Ameicano.

Have a Great Cruise.

Bon Voyage & Good Health:)

Thanks for the information. I live in 18 days for this cruise. We are embarking in Valapariso and disembarking in Buenos Aires with a post-cruise in Iguazu Falls. I can not wait. I am booked for the Antarctica landing from Punta Arenas (I hope it goes).

I have been assigned a Lanai room, never done these type of rooms before, hopefully it is nice. I have a Sony DSLR camera and a point-in-shoot. I hope I have pictures as nice as the ones you have taken. They are very nice and now I am even more excited to go.

Archived