All Things Coffee on Board RCI

jazzbot

I'm not sure where that information came from.

Now, I don't drink coffee with my lunch or dinner, so I cannot comment on MDR.

I mainly drink it in the morning, and I am willing to travel to get it.

For me, this means the promenade, for what I still believe is free Seattle's Best.

And I'm a bit of a coffee snob on land.. I live in the city, walking distance to a dozen coffee shops. I will never be caught dead drinking any of their coffee. I'm pretty particular about the way my beans are stored and how long, how they are ground, what temperature and pressure water flows through them, what kind of water, I can go on =)

Can I get a 2nd & 3rd confirmation on the Free Seattle's Best on the promenade?

Can I get a 2nd & 3rd confirmation on the Free Seattle's Best on the promenade?

Each evening my wife and I stopped in the promenade cafe for ham & cheese croissants and coffee. She cut her's with water (she did the same thing in MDR), I was good straight up. Most nights it was satisfying. :)

I even made my own ice tea..got a few looks in MDR but it was good.

Asked for two glasses of ice and hot tea..It worked.

I do this also. I do not care for the tea onboard. And I bring an insulated mug with me for just such an eventuality. I use it for cocktails/drinks also;)

Great Information all. Cutting the coffee in the MDR and asking for whip cream during desert are great ideas. Does not quit solve my in-cabin morning coffee dilemma as any lukewarm room service coffee will be tossed off the balcony. Don't really want to leave my room but seems I may have no choice.

On a side note: Strange thing about big name brand coffee (Folgers, Maxwell House, etc..). Every time I try them they suck to me but my mom makes a mean Maxwell instant coffee I just can't seem to reproduce at my house. Interesting what magic touches moms have.

Funny thing, we used to have this little breakfast shop in town that had the best coffee. I happened to see one of the owners in town one day and I asked her what kind of coffee it was. She said it was just plain Maxwell House. It didn't taste like that when I made it. The same with Dunkin Donuts. I get their coffee to make at home. I grind the beans myself, and use the light cream like they put into their take-out cups. It's never as good!

Funny thing, we used to have this little breakfast shop in town that had the best coffee. I happened to see one of the owners in town one day and I asked her what kind of coffee it was. She said it was just plain Maxwell House. It didn't taste like that when I made it. The same with Dunkin Donuts. I get their coffee to make at home. I grind the beans myself, and use the light cream like they put into their take-out cups. It's never as good!

Must be the atmosphere. I never really care for Kona coffee, except it tastes great on the beach in Hawaii. :D

THANK YOU! You just answered my question before I asked! We are in a jr suite for this first time, and was wondering about the size and type of coffee pot.

When they first put them in the cabins, the coffee pods they used were for a full pot of coffee. So it was WAY too concentrated. We would make a cup and boil some water, then mix them. It was a mess and a PITA so we started bringing the instant packets. The last 2 cruises (on Rhapsody and Jewel), they finally had single cup pods, but I wouldn't count on it fleetwide just yet.

Do they serve 1/2 & 1/2 or light cream with coffee. I won't drink mine without it. Plain milk don't cut it!

they usually have those little individual serving cups.

I'm with you on that, karinad! They've started doing away with the little cups. I couldn't find them on Rhapsody in May or on Jewel in October. Even Lattetudes had little pitchers of half & half. I was able to get room service to bring me a small pitcher of half & half with my breakfast one morning, and that lasted the week in the mini-fridge.

They still have the little cups of non-dairy creamer, though.:eek:

We are not big coffee drinkers. However, a decent cup of coffee is appreciated at times. That said, last week on the Jewel of the Seas we noted that the Windjammer coffee is made with REAL coffee and wasn't bad at all. We were surprised that they didn't use the syrup and hot water we've had on other ships/lines. In the past, we sometimes brought a few cinnamon sticks to improve the coffee when necessary.

Art

P.S. Our next cruise (next month) stops in Columbia, Panama and Costa Rica. Guess what we're going to buy there.

The coffee will eat paint off the ship!!! I brought hazelnut creamer with us and 2 creamers wouldn't change colors!!! It was so strong when we got home I made a pot which tasted like water cause I was used to the wicked stuff....chops coffee was awesome!! But we tales to the head macho in WJ and be said we cannot please everyone if they make it weaker them people would complain its too weak

It's not just about the beans, it's also about the preperation method and water too. Try using a french press (with course ground beans) and bottled water to make it and you'll find it changes the taste dramatically. I assume since you only grind what you need that you also keep it in an air tight container at room temperature in a dark place. I gave up on using traditional coffee makers at home a long time ago, never cared for the flavor whenever I made it that way. The coffee loses all of the oils and flavor when made that way.

It's not just about the beans, it's also about the preperation method and water too. Try using a french press (with course ground beans) and bottled water to make it and you'll find it changes the taste dramatically. I assume since you only grind what you need that you also keep it in an air tight container at room temperature in a dark place. I gave up on using traditional coffee makers at home a long time ago, never cared for the flavor whenever I made it that way. The coffee loses all of the oils and flavor when made that way.

I since got a Keurig. I like the Green Mountain Donut Shop K-Cup.

It's so warming to know that others agree about the coffee onboard! Thanks for sharing what you've done in order to make a good cup of coffee. We will be putting your ideas to good use, come January! There is nothing like a good cup of coffee anytime, so I'm bringing mine!

Archived