What is your favorite cruise port to leave from??

pbmsmile

New Orleans by far. Everything went smoothly for boarding compared to other ports that I've been at. It was such a fun city. Running down the Mississippi on the way out was my favorite part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

I really liked sailing out of Port Canaveral. You go through a channel lined with shops, restaurants, and parks. It lasts for about half hour before you get out to sea. So it's really fun to wave back and forth between cruisers and landlubbers.

Debarkation, on the other hand, stinks, and not because the cruise is ending. Customs agents there are total jerks, not just surly like most feds are.

New York for sailaway--Baltimore for close proximity---but, gotta give it to NORFOLK for efficiency and their Half Moone Cruise Center that is just so gorgeous and a state of the art facility. And there's a lot to do right in the near vicinity pre-cruise.

We have sailed out of San Juan, Miami, and Galveston and to us Galveston is the best organized; both for embarkation and debarkation.

We used to stay in Galveston the night before but after staying in Webster this last time that is where we will always stay. After a long drive from Dallas we stopped at the Springhill Suites in Webster since Galveston was booked for Mardi Gras. Great Location. Main Event in the same parking lot, Chuy's, Hooters, and Cheddars across the street and a movie theater within 1/2 block. Great was to stretch your legs after the long drive. Also a gas station in the parking lot to fill up before heading to pier.

Edited by PSkinner

We've sailed from San Juan, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, Miami, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, New Orleans, Galveston, Los Angeles (San Pedro) and Miami. My favorite port to sail from is San Diego. But, we also love sailing from Galveston, since it is close to our home AND has cheap parking. Least favorite ever was Los Angeles. Love the valet parking in Tampa!

Edited by DebJ14

Hands down.....Venice, Italy.....won't be able to sail out of there much longer with new rules coming into play on ship size, but the sail away for Venice is simply incredible....especially if you are on the Port side of the ship as you sail past St Mark's Square.

Here is a photo from our Venice Sail Away two years ago...we were on the maiden voyage of the Breeze. It is not the best photo as we were in an aft wrap on the wrong side of the ship, so when we passed St Marks square, I had issues with the bright sun. You pass by some of the oldest churches and buildings in Europe.....We will never forget the sail away though...absolutely incredible!!!

DSC_0536.jpg

Just wondered which cruise port you consider to be the best or most fun to leave from..? Share your favorite hotels, pre or post cruise activities, restuarants, ect..

Mine??.. probably Port Canaveral. We always stay at Ron Jon's and eat at Boston's just down the road which has the most amazing seafood ANYWHERE!!! In the morning we drop our rental car off at Budget (only a mile up the road) and hop on the free shuttle to ride the last few blocks to the port..EASY PEASY!! :) :p

Love the 3 times that we have sailed from San Juan PR. Love to come in a day early and explore Old San Juan. We have stayed at Casablana, Sheraton and PLaza de Armas, the first two are great, no so much on the 3rd.

I like Port Canaveral. Gone out from there twice. Oddly, the TSA folks always seemed super grumpy but once you got in the main check-in area all those senior citizens that work there showing you which line to go to were some of the happiest cheeriest folks I ever seen.

This was identical to our experience in New Orleans. Those were some really enthusiastic seniors ... they were so fun! :D

Sent from my Commadore 64 using the Cruise Critic forum app