I've Been Reading About Alaska.......

sail7seas

Hi Sail

I went wast June (10-24) remember is still light out sun does not go down till 10 or 11. The 14 day tour is outstanding. I did not take any tours I just want to walk around town and shop for twinkets. I bought a bunch of magnets and other touresty things. I walked around town and saw some outstanding things. I had very little rain. You can have rain on any trip. You will not be sorry. I would find the book The Alaska Handbook by Joe Upton its a great book to have with you as a guide. It has a map and it tells you every thing you need to know. (has No adds)

Mary

I posted this on the other thread 'Please Compare'. I absolutely respect everyone's opinion we should do Inside Passage and am sure you are right but we really want a pre and post cruise stay in Seattle. We also want easiest possible cross country travel for my limited stamina. We both want to sail Oosterdam.

A BIG feature also is we want to know we have our Suite booked as always. We postively will not be doing a combination land/sea tour with HAL. We cannot reserve a Suite if we don't do the land portion. We've read here repeatedly that HAL will not sell Suites to people who aren't doing land touring until they know they have some suites unsold. We aren't going to wait until they allow us to select a suite AND have to take whatever is left over after those who are doing land tour pick what they want.

So....... I greatly appreciate all the Inside Passage comments but it won't be inside passage for us this time. Maybe we'll return some day. :shrug: Probably not but lots of people do the cruise we've selected so apparently there must be some things to like about it? (I hope. :cool: )

I'm also not a huge fan of Alaska but I did a cruise last June. I did the Seattle round trip and it was amazing. Lots of beautiful scenery. Tracy Arm is probably the most beautiful place I've ever been to. I took a catamaran into it and it was so worth it. The way some people talk on here you'd think that it was nothing. I just don't get it. As far as the Pike street market goes, that's a place I could live without seeing again. It's a produce market with a bunch of flea market stalls. So not worth it. That said, it's been at least 15 years since I've been there so it could have changed.

Thanks, Watson's Aunt. Appreciate your comments.

I'm also not a huge fan of Alaska but I did a cruise last June. I did the Seattle round trip and it was amazing. Lots of beautiful scenery. Tracy Arm is probably the most beautiful place I've ever been to. I took a catamaran into it and it was so worth it. The way some people talk on here you'd think that it was nothing. I just don't get it. As far as the Pike street market goes, that's a place I could live without seeing again. It's a produce market with a bunch of flea market stalls. So not worth it. That said, it's been at least 15 years since I've been there so it could have changed.

THANK You, Lorekauf. I'm happy to hear from a few people who think this itinerary is also good. I'll certainly post some comments about our experience when we return.

Also thanks about Pike. I didn't have a clear image of what exactly it is.

I need to research for hotels. We want a really nice place to stay but don't want to have to walk a lot of hills. Someplace reasonably level would be better.

WE'RE BOOKED!!!

I never would have believed I would post on this forum that we are booked to cruise Alaska.

Guess the adage, "Never say Never" applies. :)

Oosterdam, 7 days round trip, Seattle to Seattle.

Sail, try posting on the West Coast departures board. There are lots of locals who can help you re hotel.

Lorekauf, I totally agree. To hear some people talk about Tracy Arm, you'd think it was a waste of a day :rolleyes: It is most certainly worth seeing. My preference is Tracy Arm over Glacier Bay, actually, but that is just me.

I think with Sail's sailing, they will spend the entire day in Tracy Arm and the catamaran excursion will not be offered. That's what we got on the Ryndam Sept 2010 -- full day in the fjord, no catamaran excursion offered.

Sail, in Sitka, the tender lines are long toward the end of the day. So IMHO if you want to see Sitka, go on an early tender, and go back to the ship earlier, so you don't get stuck standing in an interminable line-up. The few benches near the dock don't actually offer decent seating unless you have someone who is holding your place in the tender line-up.

WE'RE BOOKED!!!

I never would have believed I would post on this forum that we are booked to cruise Alaska.

Congrats! The Oosterdam is my all time favorite although I know a lot of people post negative comments about her.

Sorry can't offer any help about a hotel. I stayed at the airport and really liked the hotel although I don't imagine that would be the choice of most people.

WE'RE BOOKED!!!

Congrats! I hope everything is perfect for you.

Many people make their "one and only" trip to Alaska only to find they book it again and again. Not unlike some cruisers and the Caribbean.

Who knows, you just might want to go again and again, too!

WE'RE BOOKED!!!

Hurray! Alaska is beautiful, but it can also be COLD. I've been there more than I ever thought I would, and I'd still go back. (And I might do so this summer as my son is going up again to drive for RCI.)

We've done three Alaska cruises (Regal Princess, Veendam, Zaandam), and Sitka is my favorite port. I had a perfect day there in 2006 on a shore excursion. I was frozen like a popsicle when we got back, but we saw otters and seals, whales, and puffins, and myriad eagles and other wildlife.

But we also really enjoyed St. Michael's Cathedral, the Russian Bishop's House, the Raptor Center, a museum (whose name escapes me right now). There is so much to do there, and it is so beautiful. If I could move to any town in Alaska, it would be Sitka.

I hope you'll enjoy it!

Robin

Edited to add: We've stayed at the MarQueen in Seattle. It's a boutique hotel and very nice. I'm not sure how far it is from Pike's Place, but it is close to the Space Needle. Trip Advisor has many reviews.

We bought the book "The Alaska Cruise Handbook" by Joe Upton on board. Excellent book. Wish I had had it before we boarded as I enjoyed all the mile by mile info, looking for specific spots on the map, the history lessons, just an invaluable resource to have sitting in front of you as you cruise. I read up every night before bed on what we would see the next day.

We thought sailing out of Vancouver quite simply one of the most lovely sites we have ever seen. And the ship doing the circle in Glacier Bay and hearing the glacier crack. I think the memories from our Alaska cruise are some of my favorite cruising memories. Eldred Rock Lighthouse (mile 990n) in the half light as we sailed to Skagway, with the white capped peaks on each side. Some things words can not describe.

Regardless of where and when you cruise to and from.. Alaska is amazing. Enjoy enjoy!!

As far as the Pike street market goes, that's a place I could live without seeing again. It's a produce market with a bunch of flea market stalls. So not worth it. That said, it's been at least 15 years since I've been there so it could have changed.
The Pike Place Market is a farmer's market that has grown up a bit. The web site is pretty accurate as to what to expect. It's not a luxury mall.

But we also really enjoyed St. Michael's Cathedral, the Russian Bishop's House, the Raptor Center, a museum (whose name escapes me right now). There is so much to do there, and it is so beautiful. If I could move to any town in Alaska, it would be Sitka.

If memory serves me, it could be the Sheldon Jackson Museum in Sitka. It was one of the stops on our tour there, but we had to have our time cut short because we booked the Sea Otter excursion too close.

Sail, Congratulations on the booking! If you have any interest in cultural dancing, check out the New Archangel Dancers. Their auditorium looks right out at the ship at anchor (I'd post a pic, but I don't have one on my work computer), and the dancers are incredible. All women, ameteur dancers, and they put on a great show.

If memory serves me, it could be the Sheldon Jackson Museum in Sitka. It was one of the stops on our tour there, but we had to have our time cut short because we booked the Sea Otter excursion too close.

Sail, Congratulations on the booking! If you have any interest in cultural dancing, check out the New Archangel Dancers. Their auditorium looks right out at the ship at anchor (I'd post a pic, but I don't have one on my work computer), and the dancers are incredible. All women, ameteur dancers, and they put on a great show.

I do believe that is the museum. We spent a couple of hours in it.

We also saw the dancers one time. I agree. They were quite good. We didn't have an excursion, we just happened upon them as we got off the ship, and my husband's mother wanted to see them. Perfect!

Robin

Again, JMHO, but you've never struck me as someone who would enjoy most of the things that Alaska has to offer, especially on the off-the-beaten-path 14 day itin.

I agree with you CowPrincess - jmho too - I really don't think you will enjoy Alaska.

So glad to see your booked Alaska, Sail!! YAY! I'm a big Alaska fan, and I just know you will enjoy and appreciate the beauty of the Great Land, even if its just from your balcony. My first two cruises to Alaska were on the Oosterdam, your exact same itinerary. And it is what got me started on my AK obsession. Trust me, you will have a wonderful time! Those first two cruises on the lovely Ms. O are what prompted me to book the 14 day itinerary on the Amsterdam (twice!!!) after that!:D

Agree with everyone above - Sitka is something special. Just sailing into the island studded harbor with snow covered Mt. Edgecombe in the background and the mist hanging over the water - well, its just breathtaking! Great little town for walking, the Raptor Center is a wonderful way to while away an hour, walking thru the Totem Park is spectacular, almost a spiritual experience with the tall Sitka spruce trees, the water in sight, and the magnificent totem poles.

The Inn at the Market sounds like your kind of hotel - google it and see what you think. Have also heard great things about the Fairmount and there are also some lovely boutique hotels in Seattle that might appeal to you. As others have stated, post question about lodging on the West Coast boards for the best, first hand knowledge.

Enjoy your trip Sail, and I hope you are just blown away by the experience that you'll want to do it again! So happy you finally pulled the trigger:p!

Lots of great hotels in Seattle as it is a major cty. Some of the nicest are unique to Seattle and its atmosphere and not your typical downtown, often chain, business hotels. We are most partial to the Inn at the Market and the Edgewater, both lovely. The downtown area is just that; the waterfront is Seattle.

Great restaurants, too.

Have a great cruise Judy:D Never been to Alaska, not on my bucket list but that will probably change over time. ;) Please share what you think when you get back.

and have an absolutely fabulous time:)

Many people make their "one and only" trip to Alaska only to find they book it again and again.

You have described me to a T. Alaska never called to me and I had no interest in going somewhere that would be cold and probably rainy. But, everyone I knew who had been there raved about it so my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to see what the big deal was.

It turned out to be the most amazing trip I've ever taken! I was literally brought to tears by the unparalleled majesty that surrounded me each day. I am so proud this spectacular land is a part of the USA.

Yes, my one and only trip has turned into a quest to return many, many times. It's a place I'll never tire of seeing.

WE'RE BOOKED!!!

Congrats Sail .... I think you will really enjoy the trip. What day are you going?

I just have to say....and I know you are already booked.....but I really, really hope (and not sure why it's so important to me, guess I live so close, that I feel like somewhat of an ambassador:o) that you recognize that a Seattle sailing and a Vancouver sailing are really quite different and both should be experienced. I know you have been given tons of good advice, but I guess I'm hoping you will consider Vancouver, if you feel you might ever go back for a 2nd look:)

I know what a big deal this is for you, and I think it's lovely that you are giving this great gift to your DH. People so love these trips, whether from Seattle or Vancouver, but the Inside Passage is, to me, what makes the journey so amazing. To think you will be steaming north on the west side of Vancouver Island, missing all that amazing scenery, seems so wasteful!! (I know, I know how I sound....bring on the flames!!) Oosterdam was my 'first' and I loved her then, I love her now:) And you will really enjoy it, even if it's not from my beloved Vancouver, and my beloved Inside Passage.

But....I do completely understand your reasoning, and Seattle is a pretty great place, too. Maybe since it really is so out of your comfort zone to be doing this, that I would get a real kick being part of the contingent that makes you a convert:D:D

I've come to prefer warm, sunny cruises. But Alaska is soooooooooo gorgeous! A few photos:

Near Seward:

2334967980095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

I can't remember the name of this glacier! (Should have taken better notes.)

2949299450095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

It can be gloomy but still beautiful. This is the Sitka area:

2034841570095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

Take an umbrella! This was a rainy day in Sitka. St. Michael's Cathedral and the 'downtown' area:

2755829130095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived