November 11 - Remembrance Day

CdnMessKit

I know we all come from different countries, and tomorrow is called by different names (armistice day, veterans day, etc...), but I think we all can agree to take a moment tomorrow to remember our soldiers, sailors, airmen and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms. Remember to thank a veteran tomorrow.

"They Shall Not Grow Old,

As we who are left grow old.

Age shall not weary them,

nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun,

and in the morning,

We Will Remember Them!"

Je Me Souviens

I know we all come from different countries, and tomorrow is called by different names (armistice day, veterans day, etc...), but I think we all can agree to take a moment tomorrow to remember our soldiers, sailors, airmen and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms. Remember to thank a veteran tomorrow.

nor the years condemn.

and in the morning,

We Will Remember Them!"

Je Me Souviens

Right with you! Thank you!

nor the years condemn.

and in the morning,

We Will Remember Them!"

Je Me Souviens

Agree 100%, also Happy 236th Birthday United States Marine Corps

Semper Fi!

Amen.

We were on Veendam last Remembrance Day and it was very moving. We had poppies from the Falkland Islands, and a service was held honouring, in alphabetical order, Australia, Canada, UK, and USA. The veterans from each country were recognized as they played and sang each anthem, and then they were thanked for their service. A veterans' reception was held afterwards.

It had been especially moving for me because when we'd visited the Falklands the day before, I realized that the last war they were remembering was so much closer. We are really blesses to have enjoyed so much peace here at home.

As we who are left grow old.F

nor the years condemn.

and in the morning,

We Will Remember Them!"

Je Me Souviens

nicely said

I would add to this if I may.

Take this a step further. Only one day a year is set aside to specifically thank the veterans for their courage and patriotism. But these people have literally set aside years of family, holidays, and more aside to defend the free peoples of the world.

Make a resolution for yourself. Take the time to thank a veteran on any day of the year. When you see that ball cap with a fighting ship's name, or "Vietnam Veteran", "Korean Veteran", "WWII Veteran".... Stop. Take the two minutes to thank that person for his or her efforts and sacrifice.

They are not politicians or movie stars. They have given far more and are recognized far less than 90% of the rest of the world.

I have seen an old vet's shoulders straighten when thanked. I have seen an old light return to their eyes for being remembered. Take it past the holiday. Remember them and thank them every day.

The Greatest Generation, our WWII Veterans, is aging and passing away before us. Keep their memory alive as they are called Home.

The OP's story was really nice. On the last few cruises I have been on they have held a veterans meeting. On one we had a former pilot who had spent years in Hanoi as a prisoner. The room was very quiet when this man spoke. All veterans from all countries were invited.

Remember those who gave their lives for our countries tomorrow.

US Army retired

Take this a step further. Only one day a year is set aside to specifically thank the veterans for their courage and patriotism. But these people have literally set aside years of family, holidays, and more aside to defend the free peoples of the world.

Make a resolution for yourself. Take the time to thank a veteran on any day of the year. When you see that ball cap with a fighting ship's name, or "Vietnam Veteran", "Korean Veteran", "WWII Veteran".... Stop. Take the two minutes to thank that person for his or her efforts and sacrifice.

They are not politicians or movie stars. They have given far more and are recognized far less than 90% of the rest of the world.

I have seen an old vet's shoulders straighten when thanked. I have seen an old light return to their eyes for being remembered. Take it past the holiday. Remember them and thank them every day.

The Greatest Generation, our WWII Veterans, is aging and passing away before us. Keep their memory alive as they are called Home.

I completely agree with you! I do this throughout the year and also think we should focus on this way more than just 1 day out of a whole year.

My dad wears his Veteran's hat out all the time and he has had several people walk up to him and thank him. It always touches my heart to know that there are still people out there who appreciate our vets.

I heard "God Bless America" on the radio this morning and cried.....it's just an emotional day for me.:) My Dad, grandfather and brother--all vets. We have already lost my grandfather and brother (he passed at 31 yrs of age), but we still remember them throughout the year and everything they did for us.

Here is my special Thank You to all of our veterans, current military and their immediate families. So many sacrifices, too many lives lost. God Bless you all!

You are so right.

I still have one of four grandparents who were all in active service in wwII - my generation will be the last to have had proper relationships with service men and women with these memories and I find that scary. Now those who do truly remember are so few and far between I think it makes this day more important than ever.

My Grandad who is still alive is 91 and served in the RAF Coastal Command, he remained in service for years after the war. I am very proud to be able to say that.

One day while we were eating lunch in the Windjammer, I noticed an older gentleman and his wife at a table by the window. He was wearing a baseball cap with the name of the ship he served on while he was in the Navy. Suddenly two young girls walked up to their table and thanked him for his service to our country. The man was so touched that he reached down and gave the girls a big hug. As they walked away I saw Him wipe away a tear from his eye as he told his wife that nothing had ever happened like that before.

That simple jesture really really ment a lot to that man and his wife. I hope that everyone finds someone to thank today. I know how much it means to my husband and me. Together we served almost 50 years in the Air Force.

A few years ago we visited the Normandy Beaches, Omaha, Utah, Gold, Sword and Juno. As a kid, I remember listening to radio commentaries of the invasion. Visiting Collville makes you realise the sacrifices that were made.

2078163670032533819S500x500Q85.jpg

2907162390032533819S500x500Q85.jpg

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

John McCrae (1872 - 1918)

To those of you in the UK, I hope that you join me in condemning FIFA's insensitive attitude to the wearing of The Poppy.

What a great thread/conversation. Thanks. We are an Army family - husband has 30 years active duty; 10 civilian with the Navy on top. They do what they do because they love the service and the nation. It is a way of life - not just a job. So appreciate the thoughtfulness and a big hug to you all... HOOAH!!

I've started a thread similar to this every year since I have a been a CC member. As an Afghanistan veteran, my DW and I sincerely thank everyone for their input. As veterans, we don't ask for thanks or "flowers" but the CC members still pass it on. All we ask is that you look as your fellow cruisers, even though they may seem young they may be veterans. Be cordial to all whom you meet. Thank eveyone you meet for your freedoms, cause we all contribute in some way. Most of all remember your neighbor today may be your saviour tomorrow.

As a veteran I thank you. RCCL, thank you for your appreciation of all of us. To our WW2, Korea and other veterans, from an Afghan Vet, thank you for your example. I only hope I have kept the faith.

Cheers.

Archived