luggage labels

nitmm01

Just printed off luggage labels for Ryndam and they seem a bit flimsey can you use ordinary luggage label holders and cut them down to fit any help gratefull accepted( last cruise we got them supplied):confused:

Yes, that's perfectly acceptable. You can also wait until you get to the terminal and get luggage tags from the porter. It just takes a couple of minutes to write in your name and cabin number. Some of us turn luggage tags into a home "arts and crafts" project, going as far as to print them on card stock, laminate, hole punch, and use electrical cable ties to affix them to our luggage. None of that is required, it's just something a few of us chose to do.

Just printed off luggage labels for Ryndam and they seem a bit flimsey can you use ordinary luggage label holders and cut them down to fit any help gratefull accepted( last cruise we got them supplied):confused:

I use wide scotch tape to cover labels; reinforces the label plus makes the labels waterproof.

I (tri)fold each printed luggage tag, as indicated, then staple & cover staples with scotch tape! :) It would be a good idea to secure a luggage tag to each handle of the checked luggage! :) I have never any issues of torn or lost (paper) luggage tags in my past several HAL cruises!

I use a blank backing sheet so that they end up 6-ply after folding ... and then I put two on each bag to increase the odds of one surviving. We've never lost one of that type, but on our last cruise one tag in a holder was broken off.

Last cruise the new luggage tags were in effect so we printed them out prior to leaving home. When we got tO the pier I decided to check in my backpack. They gave me a nice one with the ships name on it. That ended up on my scrapbook. I think I'll ask for one next time, too. ;-D

I print them out on full avery sheets with the sticky back on them, (cutting off all but the actual tag). Then I peal away part of the sticky covering at each end, just enough to be able to adhere the two end together, then wrap through the handle of my luggage and adhere the two sticky sides together.

I print them out on full avery sheets with the sticky back on them' date=' (cutting off all but the actual tag). Then I peal away part of the sticky covering at each end, just enough to be able to adhere the two end together, then wrap through the handle of my luggage and adhere the two sticky sides together.[/quote']

Nice, I like it!

When you go to print your labels you will see a link that says "Purchase Luggage tag holders" We did this a month ago and got 4 heavy duty reusable vinyl luggage tag holders for $6.95. They have a clear insert that the printed tag fits inside displaying the tag. We now have them for all future cruises. This was a whole lot easier and probably cheaper than running to Kinko's or such to get the tags laminated. :p

.... You can also wait until you get to the terminal and get luggage tags from the porter. It just takes a couple of minutes to write in your name and cabin number.
That is certainly the quickest and easiest way to do it. No muss; no fuss; one less thing to bother bringing along from home, and costs nothing!

It takes me less than a minute to fill out and attach 4 tags at the pier if I do it myself. But often as soon as our van or taxi pulls up, the porters unload and tag the bags for us and take them away. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We arrived in Venice with just our flimsy printed tags and no stapler, etc. Our hotel had nothing to help, so we used our ingenuity, recycled the very strong tape from the baggage handling labels Continental had put on our bags. Only a little part is opened..... just find a place where it has not been opened and use that. If it can get a bag through Newark Airport, it can get it through HAL's loading system.

Can't wait for our next cruise from San Diego January 4th.

As indicated by multiple others, taping both sides of the labels with packing tape is a must. On our recent cruise in which we had a total of three bags checked between my wife and me, the tag was almost torn off one bag whereas on the other two the tags were still firmly attached. On the tag that nearly tore off I had put only one row of three staples across the label. On the other two bags that arrived with the labels still firmly attached I had put a row of three staples and then a second row of two staples behind the first. The latter appears to have been much more secure.

I considered buying the HAL vintage ship luggage tag holders for my next trip, but opted on the complimentary luggage tags that the auto club had. Last time, however, I used my home laminator and simply folder the tags over and laminated them together. I then cut a small slit in them and used a ziptie to attach them.

As indicated by multiple others, taping both sides of the labels with packing tape is a must. On our recent cruise in which we had a total of three bags checked between my wife and me, the tag was almost torn off one bag whereas on the other two the tags were still firmly attached. On the tag that nearly tore off I had put only one row of three staples across the label. On the other two bags that arrived with the labels still firmly attached I had put a row of three staples and then a second row of two staples behind the first. The latter appears to have been much more secure.

No it's not! I have travelled numerous times with the HAL paper tags affixed to the handles of my checked luggage & I have never had any issues related to the paper luggage tags being either partially or fully torn off! ;)

I printed them and went to Staples or another such place and had them laminated. I was able to laminated them after they were folded and had six on a page. The cost about $2.00 CDN. Only problem...day I was leaving for my pre-cruise (three days before sailing), I was upgraded. I quckly reprinted them and re-laminated the new ones stopping on the way to the airport. It worked well. They along with my luggage made it to Rome (with a change of planes in Heathrow), onto the ship and out of Athens home to Canada (and I still have one of them in my scrapbook (I threw out the other one as I didnt need two when I returned home).

I found out after I could have got a new one when I arrived on the embarkation pier - at least I will know for next time.

Archived