20 Days and still no cabin assignment

PekingeseLady

:rolleyes: This is the first time my gty cabin has taken so long. I booked with 230 days and figured sometime after final payment I'd know. I check twice a day, the suspence is driving me crazy. I have a BA gty, they didn't have a balcony cabin on Carbibe in any catagory, so I am hoping I'd get one with a BA gty, or maybe get lucky with a upgrade to mini-suite. What do you think my chances are since it seems all balconies are selling out?

Please elaborate on GTY cabins. I think I understand basic premise, I was told, for example, the lowest category only has eight of that category so most likely will be upgraded - but you might be stuck with that category.

It seems from comments above that there is a way to 'game' the system - can you choose GTY for a category that is sold out, thereby knowing you will get at least one category bump?

The only thing that's sure with a GTY is that you'll have a cabin in the category you booked, or better.

If you book a GTY in a category with only a few cabins, your chances of an "upgrade" probably increase but it's usually the exact same cabin type in a different location. You can also book a specific cabin and get the same type of "upgrade." An "upgrade" is never guaranteed with a GTY and you could likely be assigned the category you booked.

Everything depends on supply and demand for each category, and every sailing is different. You can forecast it, think you've got the 'game' worked out, only to find that on your sailing, that didn't work. If you book a GTY in a sold out category, how do you know it's really sold out and several TAs aren't holding 50 of these cabins for their customers? Inventory will show them as sold but they aren't.

Thanks Pam - last question, is GTY lower than booking a specific cabin ? Otherwise specific cabin seems safest way to go. For example we want to be sure we on Port side, so GTY would seem risky.

If you want a specific location then do not book a GTY. The specific location I wanted (Carbie deck) wasn't available when I booked. So my best shot was a BA GTY, either I end up where I want, or on Lido deck, which would be a new experience, or I get my upgrade to a mini-suite the next catagory higher. I will be happy with any of these assignments. I didn't want any of the cabins they were offering me for the 14 days. It doesn't matter which side of the ship we are on. Hope this helps.

Please elaborate on GTY cabins. I think I understand basic premise, I was told, for example, the lowest category only has eight of that category so most likely will be upgraded - but you might be stuck with that category.

It seems from comments above that there is a way to 'game' the system - can you choose GTY for a category that is sold out, thereby knowing you will get at least one category bump?

Just an FYI... The category was marked "sold out" two months after I booked my guarantee. No "game" being played here.

On two cruises, including our April cruise on Carnival, we got our assignment at the dock. It sure adds both excitement and frustration.

As others mentioned, you are guaranteed the category signed up for. On both of our experiences, we received the same category and that was all.

Just plan on going on a great cruise! The best cruises we have been on have been "mystery" cruises. On one, we did not go to a single port on the original itinerary and it was probably the best one yet.

Happy Cruising:D:D

:rolleyes: This is the first time my gty cabin has taken so long. I booked with 230 days and figured sometime after final payment I'd know. I check twice a day, the suspence is driving me crazy. I have a BA gty, they didn't have a balcony cabin on Carbibe in any catagory, so I am hoping I'd get one with a BA gty, or maybe get lucky with a upgrade to mini-suite. What do you think my chances are since it seems all balconies are selling out?

I know this sounds bizarre but it is what happened. Same situation....waiting waiting waiting on my guarantee cabin to be assigned. Family group and all 5 cabins were guarantees (4 OV and 1 mini) and 3 of the OV and the mini got assigned several weeks ago but one cabin (MINE) no room...like you I checked twice a day. Called Princess to ask if they were by any chance offering upsells on our sailing (11/20 Ruby) and rep said no they were not but by the way did I know my reservation was marked NO UPGRADE. Of course, I did not know that since is sort of silly to hold out to the bitter end to get that coveted GG obstructed Oceanview that was my guaranteed booking. Anyway, she removed the do not upgrade instruction and I got a cabin the next day...same F category as the other 3 OV in my group. Posted this story on another thread on same topic and the OP there called and had same problem so might be worth your while to check.

:confused: We have a GTY BG (balcony) category. Reading this thread, I'm a little confused. Does this mean we can expect any balcony in the "B" category. I did not know you could GTY a specific category of balconies, i.e. BA, etc. :o So what would a "non-upgrade" BG type balcony consist of? I welcome your response and understand I think we'd be happy with anything as long as it has a balcony. :D

On many cruises a certain guarantee category will be offered at a low price. Often there are only four cabins in that category, such as GG. Now many will say that's all you are promised, but when 50 to 100 book GG and there are only four such cabins in that category you are almost guaranteed an upgrade.

Also, a group of us are cruising and my brother didn't get his cabin assignment. On his second call he was told that his guarantee cabin was marked "do not upgrade." This notation was removed from his account and he was immediately upgraded to one category higher (which was not much, GG to F, just like we all got. Now when my brother posted his experience on CC boards some idiot posted back and said my brother didn't know what he was talking about and such a thing could not happen. But two strangers had the same experience with two different Princess reps, so I say it is the idiot know-it-all who didn't show what they were talking about. Point being, call to ask, and make sure they didn't accidentally mark "do not upgrade" on your account; that could be why you don't have an assignment.

By the way, the only "gaming" of the system I think you can do is to book a guarantee that is being offered with the intention of upgrading all or almost all of the people who book it. The GG cabin I cited is such an example (others include AE, BG and BF). They are offered as the cheap guarantee and you are almost certain to go up one level. But as I said, that one level really isn't much.

With all of this said, you certainly can be "stuck" with what you book. But my guess is that they upgrade almost 100 percent of the people who book these "placeholder" categories, and then upgrade people from a lower category into them as an upgrade so that everyone is happy.

Having read many posts about how much patience can be required, we know we'll have to be patient with our March Mexican Riviera GTY cabin. Although there must be many cabins available because someone on the roll call who booked the lowest balcony category cabin in September has already been upgraded to a top balcony BA category cabin last month...4 months in advance.

One thing that could affect who gets upgraded is how many choose the "no upgrade" option. If there are passengers happy with their assigned cabin who want no upgrade, then it could increase your chances of being upgraded from the same category if booked as a GTY & would accept an upgrade.

last question, is GTY lower than booking a specific cabin ? Otherwise specific cabin seems safest way to go. For example we want to be sure we on Port side, so GTY would seem risky.

In any category (example, cat BB) the cost of a GTY is exactly the same as the cost of a specific cabin.

However, if no cabins are available in the category (other than GTY), then a GTY in that category is normally less expensive than a specific cabin in a higher category.

can you choose GTY for a category that is sold out, thereby knowing you will get at least one category bump?

Just to be sure the terminology used is correct:

If a cateogry is listed as sold out, you cannot book a GTY in that category or make a reservation in it at all.

If a category is listed as waitlisted, you cannot book a GTY in that category, but can be put on the waitlist (and will pay the normal deposit). However, if you are on a waitlist, there is no assurance you will clear the waitlist and actually get on the ship.

If the category has no listed specific available cabins but is not in a waitlist state, then you can book a GTY in it. This GTY means you are assured of making the trip and will be in the category booked or the possibility of a higher category.

:confused: We have a GTY BG (balcony) category. Reading this thread, I'm a little confused. Does this mean we can expect any balcony in the "B" category. I did not know you could GTY a specific category of balconies, i.e. BA, etc. :o So what would a "non-upgrade" BG type balcony consist of? I welcome your response and understand I think we'd be happy with anything as long as it has a balcony. :D

You are guaranteed a BG category or better. So BA BB etc...all upgrades for you. Sometimes people book a GTY cabin to attempt to get an upgrade to a better cabin without having to pay for the higher category. The times that we have booked a GTY was to get on the ship at the price we wanted. Did not care what they ultimately gave us just so it was on the ship and the type cabin we booked.

Archived