Dress code in Blu

louise44

Here's what I don't understand. All the casual dressers on this board always post about how unimportant attire is and why no one should care.

But now suddenly because it's affecting you, it is important and a big deal what to wear?

You're on vacation. Relax, and enjoy it! Surely it isn't worth getting into a big argument over clothes.

You're on vacation. Relax, and enjoy it! Surely it isn't worth getting into a big argument over clothes.

I totally agree. But at the same time, I'm not taking a suit on my upcoming cruise, because I'm in AQ and the rules say I don't have to. Therefore, there is a little bit of apprehension on my part because of these stories about Blu still being made to be formal, even though it isn't supposed to be.

But you're right, it's not really a big deal - I'll just carry a hand-out jacket to the back of my chair if I have to.

No one is going to get thrown off the ship over the dress code, that is not what Ma Bell said nor anyone else.. She stated "if" someone got confrontational it could lead to someone being asked to leave the ship. This could depend on how bad they got. There was a recent thread on this about a couple who were creating all kinds of problems and were asked to leave. If you think about it, really doesn't have anything to do with dress code.

Don

I agree completely with you - i am also aware about the couple in Europe and read some of the garbage they posted both here and on facebook - over the top doesn't even begin to describe it. But that incident should not lead any of us to simply accept mistreatment (and that is what denying a paid-for perk to a properly attired person is) out of fear of getting the boot. That's my only issue....my read is that folks were reacting to what felt like a threat that we could be next - I could be wrong - but i don't think i am....

As for me - I won't get asked to even touch the nasty borrowed jackets since i'm a girl - and i agree with others that girls get away with more so my sundresses/slacks are likely to be accepted no matter what.... but i cannot imagine getting anywhere close to someone else's armpit sweat just before eating a meal.....YUK!

Sara

Just to play devil's advocate here....I know a lot of you don't think this is a big deal, but how would you feel if you booked Celebrity because of the non-smoking on balconies and cabins and then found out that they really could smoke, it was up to the hotel manager. You show up expecting a non-smoking cabin and balcony because that's Celebrity's policy, but hell, they don't really enforce it, they make up their own rules, so too bad.

There's no difference! people are starting to book Aqua class so they don't have to dress up, same as people are booking celebrity to get rid of smokers next to them. You have to enforce the company's policies on all the ships.

There's no difference! people are starting to book Aqua class so they don't have to dress up, same as people are booking celebrity to get rid of smokers next to them. You have to enforce the company's policies on all the ships.

Agree.They do need to enforce the policies,even in the MDR

Sooo, looks like first reports are back from Equinox, & the smart casual in Blu is being honored. Sure it will spill over to Eclipse eventually.

I read here more than I post, but to defend Ma Bell a bit, she is one of the nicer posters here, for those wanting to go Rambo on their Maitre D, I agree with her, I don't think it's going to be necessary or advisable:) we'll book Blu again next time, because we like the atmosphere, the food, & the new dress code, it wasn't in state last month for us, so DH brought along a nice black cashmere jacket. (we really travel light for Europe; there are a lot of stairs at the train stations):)

if DH was handed a jacket next time, we'd just smile, take it, & hang it over the back of his chair & spend the rest of the evening recanting our amazing day in whatever port we'd visited that day.

I know there are more than likely a few new cruisers reading this thread & freaking out, you want to go see the Med, & are planning to carry on, but let me reassure you, it's not like this on board. Go with the flow, honestly, that's what makes a good traveler, if you can't do that, you might not enjoy your adventures much.... pack what you need to match where you'll travel to, & where you plan on eating, if you're handed a jacket for some reason, just go with it.

Happy travels to all.

While this thread is a good one, the level and frequency of personal attacks and incivility has caused us to remove well over 40 posts over the last few days.

If the lack of civility continues, this thread will be closed to further activity.

I'm saddened by this change.

AQ may now become a sought after option because of the lack of formal nights. This could increase the premium for this upgrade or make it fill up quickly. Good for Celebrity, but worse for passengers who enjoy Blu and the AQ experience.

I understand that not everyone likes formal dress and Celebrity is changing their dress code in recognition of changing times. It seems a shame that they have made a mess of the transition. I would give less value to the website, known to be a source of bad information and follow the e-docs. If they say Blu is smart/casual the maitre'd must apply this in good faith.

As for the notion that it is a mistake.... that will be corrected, the written policy takes a higher precedence until corrected (which I doubt will happen).

Perhaps the quoted senior executive is responsible for the customer support operation and is showing the typical level of dis-information we anticipate. No wonder their land-side reputation is bad with such prime leadership.

Formal dining is a cruise-land tradition and I would prefer it to be retained, and will meet, normally exceed the dress code as I wear suits most evenings onboard.

I dislike the low pay/gratiuty tradition of cruise-land, yet accept it and follow the recommendations because I respect the traditions.

"When in Rome....", or perhaps 'when in Cruise-land' applies to both traditions.

Having 'crossed the streams' of the 2 topics of contention on CC...,are those the horsemen of thread apocalypse I see cantering towards me?

i'll join this thread. a couple of years ago we flew to barcelona and cruised 14 days with 2 suitcases and a carry-on. we were on azamara journey which has no formal nites. people dressed very nice and it sure made life easier. we were treated as nice as if we were formally dressed. also it was all open seating. had a great trip.

we will be in aqua and blu next week on equinox. we are taking a sport coat for hubby. ad

Back to the topic in the hope that it can be discussed without hostility, tendentious and deliberate mischaracterizations, or threats.

The issue began as a discussion stemming from recent incidents reported by several posters on at least two ships (the Eclipse and the Silhouette) in which passengers relied upon a published policy on the Celebrity website stating that smart casual attire is acceptable in all specialty restaurants including Blu, even on formal nights. However, apparently some Blu staff on these vessels either were unaware or willfully ignored this change in corporate policy. Several passengers have since contacted Celebrity customer service by email, and this new policy has been unanimously confirmed.

It is my understanding that jeans are now explicitly allowed on Smart Casual nights, meaning that jeans are allowed everywhere on the ship, even on formal nights, everywhere *except* the MDR.

Given these facts, it would appear that Celebrity is deliberately and systematically relaxing their dress code - which is a definite shift given that they had a reputation for being one of the more 'formal' mass market cruise lines.

Personally I heartily welcome this change, as it fits in with a more relaxed, casual, and contemporary lifestyle. My question is - is this just a trend on X, or is the entire industry getting on board with the movement to casual and comfortable?

My question is - is this just a trend on X, or is the entire industry getting on board with the movement to casual and comfortable?

It has been a industry trend to become more casual. Some lines have abandoned formal nights, NCL for example. Some of the luxury lines are non-formal. I'm not sure if they ever had them. Maybe others will advise.

Celebrity may be testing the change in Blu ready for a similar MDR change is it proves popular.

It could be a way to distinguish themselves from Princess and Cunard in a market where there is strong competition in the Premium sector.

It will be interesting to find out.

It has been a industry trend to become more casual. Some lines have abandoned formal nights, NCL for example. Some of the luxury lines are non-formal. I'm not sure if they ever had them. Maybe others will advise.

Celebrity may be testing the change in Blu ready for a similar MDR change is it proves popular.

It could be a way to distinguish themselves from Princess and Cunard in a market where there is strong competition in the Premium sector.

I've noticed on HAL ships, where HAL is I think Carnival Corp's closest analog to Celebrity, that the trend is to more casual dress, and even though the dress policy hasn't changed much there, enforcement does seem more lax.

I think it's all part of the effort to attract a younger demographic, but the lines want to proceed carefully so as not to alienate their more senior customers. But if the younger folks tend to spend more money in the bars, shops and excursions then efforts to attract that demographic will continue.

Exceptions to the above abound I'm sure - I'm just painting the broad strokes.

HAL are in the same premium sector. Forgot them as they are very low profile over here. Of the premium lines, Is Celebrity just being a little more adventurous than the others?

Well really Celebrity is the only one with a dining room dedicated to set set class of cabins so there's really nothing to compare it to. Princess has been Smart Casual in the specialty restaurants for years.

Well really Celebrity is the only one with a dining room dedicated to set set class of cabins so there's really nothing to compare it to. Princess has been Smart Casual in the specialty restaurants for years.

Cunard have their queens and Princess grills classes also but do not apply different dress codes.

Princess & Celebrity are identical in having smart/casual for special dining options.

Its an interesting concepy.Blu is suppose to have a healthy twist but the trend now seems to be toward healthy eating and Celebrity has also announed that they are going to have healthy eating programs,so in the future I can see parts of the Blu concept being added ship wide.

Royal Caribbean is using some of their Specialty venues for breakfast and Lunch for their suite guest

Its an interesting concepy.Blu is suppose to have a healthy twist but the trend now seems to be toward healthy eating and Celebrity has also announed that they are going to have healthy eating programs,so in the future I can see parts of the Blu concept being added ship wide.

Royal Caribbean is using some of their Specialty venues for breakfast and Lunch for their suite guest

Its funny but I have been in Blu on two cruises and enjoyed it but I don't see the heathly eating concept. I know thats what they want to do but it must have just gone over my head..

You may be right, but it must be noted that there has been debate on CruiseCritic for quite some time (before this policy change) as to whether Blu counted as a Specialty Restaurant - and was therefore always smart Casual - OR counted as the MDR for AQ guests - and therefore followed the formality of the MDR.

This change may have simply been a response to constant questions regarding a semi-ambiguous policy, and nothing more. I guess we'll see down the road...

While this thread is a good one, the level and frequency of personal attacks and incivility has caused us to remove well over 40 posts over the last few days.

If the lack of civility continues, this thread will be closed to further activity.

Despite my request last night the vitriol continued with another 17 posts removed this morning.

Unfortunately this thread is now closed to further activity.

Archived