Need another reason to fly in a day early?

BethCarp

We sail Mariner on Sunday. We fly into Houston tomorrow morning. Need to leave the house at 9am. Currently, my husband is in San Francisco (business trip) sitting on his delayed plane. Delayed into Chicago with only a 30 minute window to catch his flight home tonight. Gate agents tell him that flight will probably also be delayed so there's hope he'll get home tonight.

Otherwise, there are plenty of flights into Houston tomorrow from Chicago. Amazingly, even though it's the weekend before Thanksgiving. So glad we're not getting on that ship tomorrow.

I think you hit it right on the nose about leaving some time...most especially when flying near or on holidays and school vacation breaks. My DH and I have flown into FL same day for cruises for years without incident, but during the " low" seasons and when weather is unlikely to be a problem. But whenever we fly with the kids during their breaks, we always schedule at least a day before our tour or cruise. For our Jewel cruise in Feb ( snow, winter break...oh my:eek:!) We fly Thursday for a Sat departure!

Hope your DH gets out of Chicago, and you have a wonderful cruise!

We sail Mariner on Sunday. We fly into Houston tomorrow morning. Need to leave the house at 9am. Currently, my husband is in San Francisco (business trip) sitting on his delayed plane. Delayed into Chicago with only a 30 minute window to catch his flight home tonight. Gate agents tell him that flight will probably also be delayed so there's hope he'll get home tonight.

Otherwise, there are plenty of flights into Houston tomorrow from Chicago. Amazingly, even though it's the weekend before Thanksgiving. So glad we're not getting on that ship tomorrow.

My DH is delayed trying to get to Chicago too, there is a ground delay program in effect due to winds. Luckily, his plane has now departed Phoenix and his connection to Boston is from the gate beside where he lands so he has a chance of making his connection.

Your DH looks to have issues in SFO and ORD according to the flight delay information. Not sure if you use this site but it helps if you are trying to find out what the issues are.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

I also track him on http://www.flightview.com/

Hope your DH makes it home.:)

My DH and I have flown into FL same day for cruises for years without incident, but during the " low" seasons and when weather is unlikely to be a problem.

Planes break too, ya know ... its not always just weather ! You've been lucky.

Slightly OT, but related -- Did anyone see the piece on the morning news about the discount airline flight from India to Great Britain? During a scheduled refueling stop in Vienna, the fueling company demanded CASH for the refueling. The airline made everyone on board "chip in" the equivalent of about $200 to pay the $37,000 tab. They even let people off to go to the ATM.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/11/18/airline-passengers-forced-to-pay-extra-37000-in-cash-for-fuel-costs/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-15788290

Thank you for that link. That's very helpful.

SFO status has now changed from orange to green so the low ceilings they were reporting must have cleared. Hopefully, he has taken off already and is on his way to windy Chicago.

Yes the delay is in Chicago and the flight just took off! About 1hr 40 min late. Still delays in Chicago, but probably not enough to get him home tonight. I called his work travel agent and booked him on an early flight in the morning. Looks like he'll just be meeting us at the airport. Oh boy is he going to be crabby. I told him he can have as many spa treatments as he wants.

Live in the Chicago area and just listened to the news. Just wanted to confirm that due to high winds all day, Ohare and Midways have been experiencing delays . Sometimes one thinks the airlines are just screwing up but this is a legitimate delay. It's be so windy that the wind has blown back lint back down the vent into my dryer. This may not seem like a big deal but the vent goes to the top of a 5 story building and I'm on the second floor.

Thank you for that link. That's very helpful.

Yes the delay is in Chicago and the flight just took off! About 1hr 40 min late. Still delays in Chicago, but probably not enough to get him home tonight. I called his work travel agent and booked him on an early flight in the morning. Looks like he'll just be meeting us at the airport. Oh boy is he going to be crabby. I told him he can have as many spa treatments as he wants.

I hope it all works out for you. Lots of delays out of Chicago too but if your DH books his connections like mine does, he has little chance on his connection. I hope you got him a hotel at least for tonight. I doubt he is the only one getting stuck there tonight.

My DH left late but is now scheduled to land early so only time will tell on that one. His connection was just moved to a different terminal so he will appreciate the extra time to get there. If he misses his connection, not a big deal. We aren't trying to make a cruise, I just want him home for Thanksgiving.;):D

We had a situation come up last Sat from our TA. We flew from FT lauderdale to DFW to Palm Springs. In DFW, we got off at Terminal C-21 and took the fast train to A-34 only to be informed 15-20 min later, were all were to get back on the train to C-26 due to a cracked window on our plane. Plane was unloaded and all passengers and crew headed for Terminal C. Our arrival home was delayed maybe 30 minuters.

I really felt bad for all those with flights by noon. I know of at least one couple who weren't getting their flight that day and not sure when they did get home. With all the blunder in FT lauderdale, we had a wonderful cruise, entertainment and best Roll Call we have ever been a part of, despite some problems with lack of activities.

Because I know you're all up wondering about this :p my husband did make it into Chicago. The flight home is delayed even further until 11pm. So he's all good as long as the flight isn't cancelled. :cool: But it will make for a very cranky traveling companion tomorrow no doubt.

Good luck to him! I've made flights within a 30 minute window in Chicago in the past so there's hope! However, with things that tight it's not likely his luggage will. If there's anything in his suitcase he may need for the cruise you may want to run out and get it tonight. That was always my issue with Chicago... I made it, my luggage didn't (sometimes I'd be without it for 3-4 days before they "found it").

ETA: Nevermind! I just saw your update! Glad he's making it home!

Because I know you're all up wondering about this :p my husband did make it into Chicago. The flight home is delayed even further until 11pm. So he's all good as long as the flight isn't cancelled. :cool: But it will make for a very cranky traveling companion tomorrow no doubt.

I am glad he is going to make it! Hopefully, the crankies don't last too long. My DH made his connection and is in the air and should be home by 1am so not too bad.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise on my favorite ship.:)

My DH would be so relieved to be home, there would be no room for crankiness. After all, he is going on a cruise Sunday! Lucky you.

Beth,

So glad to hear your husband made it to Chicago, and still has a chance to make a plane on home. Hopefully, he will get home in time to catch a catnap, and at least have a shower, before both of you have to get to an airport again. Hey, then he will be on vacation, and it will all be great. Have a terrific cruise, and smooth sails.

I am glad he is going to make it! Hopefully, the crankies don't last too long. My DH made his connection and is in the air and should be home by 1am so not too bad.

Oh good! Delayed again, they should be leaving any minute. Quick one hour flight home, hopefully the luggage doesn't take too long. He probably won't be home til 1:30, earliest.

My DH would be so relieved to be home, there would be no room for crankiness. After all, he is going on a cruise Sunday! Lucky you.

Eh, don't be so sure. I think at this point, he'd rather stay home alone. The only thing that might save us is our friends we're traveling with. He's less likely to be such a bear if there are other people around.

Slightly OT, but related -- Did anyone see the piece on the morning news about the discount airline flight from India to Great Britain? During a scheduled refueling stop in Vienna, the fueling company demanded CASH for the refueling. The airline made everyone on board "chip in" the equivalent of about $200 to pay the $37,000 tab. They even let people off to go to the ATM.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/11/18/airline-passengers-forced-to-pay-extra-37000-in-cash-for-fuel-costs/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-15788290

saw it -I thought it was crazy, though it kind of reminded me of when my friends and I would go on car trips and everyone chipped in for gas money:p.

Of course if you have already chipped in (paid your airfare) it seems someone's not spending the money on gas :(

my friend had told me so many reasons why you should fly a day early then day of cruise. I had one bad experience that is not cruise week and it been in my mind all this time. I was schedule to do vegas week on my birthday in december. We had a forecast for icy storm in the morning. i check Continental for Ewr and it said it was cancelled in the morning. They reschedule me for the night flight. I miss the whole day of going to vegas. Anyway we schedule to go to ft lauderdale for cruise and flew a day early. Surprisingly when we headed back home Spirit to ACY was the only plane to leave the gate and charge the runway without a second to waste because the country was in weather related problem from snowstorm to rain. Ewr , LGA and JFK was all closed but ACY was still open to take plane in. This is reason always fly a day early to go on cruise.

I'm confused. OP's countdown clock says they're sailing Mariner TODAY 19 Nov, but she said Sunday in her post.:confused:

Of course, I guess she could have put her countdown clock for her departure from home and not the ship's. But, it appears that she's sailing today.

Okay, I found that the ship does leave tomorrow, but, whatever.

Archived