TUX or Black suit for formal night?

llam

On our recent 13 day cruise on Maasdam we observed a wide variety of dress in the MDR on formal nights. I saw on large fellow in bluejeans, a wrinkled shirt open three buttons down in the collar, and a sloppy-looking jacket. I also saw several men in sweaters, no jackets. One guy just wore a golf shirt. And some of the women I observed dressed no better. Disgusting!

This is not the first HAL cruise where we saw a lack of dress code enforcement.

It's a shame, but it appears they (HAL) want to avoid confrontation.

To the folks who don't want to dress properly on formal nights - maybe you should be cruising on NCL where anything goes. Just saying!

... but had felt uncomfortable on a prior cruise (OK, on NCL) when him, one other well dressed fellow and the entire staff had tuxedos.
NCL is not a good place to be wearing a tux. We have decided to abandon all formal wear for NCL cruises. Dressing up is not just about oneself; there is no point in being the only person dressed up, which is often the case on NCL.

We will be on the Niew Amsterdam Holiday Cruise. I want to get a tux for my son and I. Saw a link to cruise tux rentals on here a while ago. Anyone know what the link is?

Cheers!

Gary

____

Hi Gary:

I see you're in Ontari-ari-ari-o (as am I)--don't know where, but I took my 14 year old son to the Freeman Formal sale (Eglinton/DVP in Toronto), for his 2nd tux (he's growing like a weed, and the one from Aug 2010 won't fit anymore)--he got a great tux for $99, shoes for $20 and a shirt for $11--we mix and match our ties.

http://www.freemanformal.com/en/warehouse-sale-2011.php

Happy hunting!

Kevin

If its truly formal, I'll gladly wear the tux. If not, (and I can get into the dining room with hundreds of others without one), I'll join them wearing a sports jacket. HAl should make its mind.

HAL has made up its mind...For years they have said that a tux or suit is not required for formal night and a jacket and tie is acceptable.

I saw on large fellow in bluejeans, a wrinkled shirt open three buttons down in the collar, and a sloppy-looking jacket. I also saw several men in sweaters, no jackets. One guy just wore a golf shirt. And some of the women I observed dressed no better. Disgusting!

There are many of us who are digusted by self-styled fashion police, who work themselves into a frothy rage when other paying passengers don't adhere to 'standards' that many reasonable people feel are foppish and pretentious.

If HAL doesn't have a problem with how these paying passengers are dressed, that's it. Period.

Flying into a sputtering, apoplectic rage simply won't change that. :D

This is just one more thread that has gotten hijacked into discussions on Fashion Police and what HAL does or does not allow in the MDR on formal nights. The facts and reality support that the day of "mandatory" dress codes on cruise ships are thankfully over and that economics of keeping customers coming back over and over again to one brand dictate policies and their enforcements. For those of you who cruise to be Fashion Police get over it, you are now dinosaurs. I will continue to wear my black suit for formal nights and I do not give a rats behind what others choose to wear as long it is not their birthday suits. If a passenger wants to be the lone person in blue jeans and look ridiculous in others eyes that's their choice.

Can we all just get over this notion of fashion police and stop these 100's of mundane dress code threads?

For those of you who cruise to be Fashion Police get over it, you are now dinosaurs. I will continue to wear my black suit for formal nights and I do not give a rats behind what others choose to wear as long it is not their birthday suits. If a passenger wants to be the lone person in blue jeans and look ridiculous in others eyes that's their choice.

Well said :)

This is just one more thread that has gotten hijacked into discussions on Fashion Police and what HAL does or does not allow in the MDR on formal nights. The facts and reality support that the day of "mandatory" dress codes on cruise ships are thankfully over and that economics of keeping customers coming back over and over again to one brand dictate policies and their enforcements. For those of you who cruise to be Fashion Police get over it, you are now dinosaurs. I will continue to wear my black suit for formal nights and I do not give a rats behind what others choose to wear as long it is not their birthday suits. If a passenger wants to be the lone person in blue jeans and look ridiculous in others eyes that's their choice.

Can we all just get over this notion of fashion police and stop these 100's of mundane dress code threads?

Again well said.

Bg

There are many of us who are digusted by self-styled fashion police, who work themselves into a frothy rage when other paying passengers don't adhere to 'standards' that many reasonable people feel are foppish and pretentious.

If HAL doesn't have a problem with how these paying passengers are dressed, that's it. Period.

Flying into a sputtering, apoplectic rage simply won't change that. :D

I guess I hit a nerve there JR. Sorry about that. I hope your blood pressure didn't rise too high over my post. You are correct - HAL doesn't seem to care anymore about their formal dress code. They certainly don't enforce it. Dress the way you want. If you want to be sloppy-comfortable, well, go for it. If you want to be discourteous to those guests who follow the posted dress code, so be it. I'm not the fashion police. I'm a paying customer, just like you, and take no pleasure in seeing fat slobs showing off their hairy chests in the MDR.

Several cruise lines offer cruises that are sold as "Clothing Optional" I wonder what they wear for formal nights?:eek: I bet plenty of fat slobs with hairy chests and in their formal birthday suits.

They actually have to wear clothes into dining areas.

Several cruise lines offer cruises that are sold as "Clothing Optional" I wonder what they wear for formal nights?:eek: I bet plenty of fat slobs with hairy chests and in their formal birthday suits.

They wear Black Ties! And the Nudist Police enforce it. :D

DITTO !!!

We must think alike. I am original from Alabama; that must explain it. You must remember dress code threads is an addiction on the HAL forums. As stated in previous threads, you rarely see dress codes threads on Regent, Seabourn, Oceania or Crystal forums.

DITTO !!!

We must think alike. I am original from Alabama; that must explain it. You must remember dress code threads is an addiction on the HAL forums. As stated in previous threads, you rarely see dress codes threads on Regent, Seabourn, Oceania or Crystal forums.

Well, could it be due to the fact that these cruise lines do not have formal nights but rather smart dress casual nights? :confused:

He won't feel out of place on HAL. Some shorter HAL cruises seem less formal. But in general he will be fine. I am bringing mine next month to a B2B 7 days cruises.

Unfortunately, I am sure this will launch into another huge thread on dress codes.

You called it first, Bruce!;)

Well, could it be due to the fact that these cruise lines do not have formal nights but rather smart dress casual nights? :confused:

Excellent Question.

As of eight months ago Crystal had formal nights, Seabourn had optional formal nights and Regent/Oceania had no formal nights. We were on Regent December 2010 and every night at either the MDR or Specialty Restaurants you would see passengers wearing suits, tuxes and evening gowns.

My DH loves dressing up and looks great in his tuxedo, but had felt uncomfortable on a prior cruise (OK, on NCL) when him, one other well dressed fellow and the entire staff had tuxedos. I told him that I would ask the cruise experts. Well...Tux or Black suit.

I see less and less tux on cruises .More on HAL I would say 50% ,90% on Cunard and 30% on other lines .

I see less and less tux on cruises .More on HAL I would say 50% ,90% on Cunard and 30% on other lines .

50% tuxes on HAL? Have you been on a HAL cruise in the last few years? Most who bother to police the subject and feel compelled to post here after cruises report more like 5%.

My DH loves dressing up and looks great in his tuxedo, but had felt uncomfortable on a prior cruise (OK, on NCL) when him, one other well dressed fellow and the entire staff had tuxedos. I told him that I would ask the cruise experts. Well...Tux or Black suit.

Tux!

Archived