TUX or Black suit for formal night?

llam

My DH loves dressing up and looks great in his tuxedo, but had felt uncomfortable on a prior cruise (OK, on NCL) when him, one other well dressed fellow and the entire staff had tuxedos. I told him that I would ask the cruise experts. Well...Tux or Black suit.

We have gone to renting a tux, shoes & tie to save room in our luggage, and my Hubby looks so good in the tux! it makes my evenings when he does wear it. on our last cruise we had 4 formal nights so renting was perfect for us!

On HAL cruises, hubby always wears a tuxedo on formal night and is never out of place.

On NCL cruises there is no formal night, just 'dress up or not' so he doesn't even pack a jacket, just a nice shirt, and is never out of place.

People wear lots of different things so you should wear what you want and focus on the people dressed like you. I like a tuxedo for formal nights, but depending on the cruise, a black suit is always nice. I think, on Hal or Celebrity, you can never go wrong with a tuxedo, especially on longer cruises.

My DH loves dressing up and looks great in his tuxedo, but had felt uncomfortable on a prior cruise (OK, on NCL) when him, one other well dressed fellow and the entire staff had tuxedos. I told him that I would ask the cruise experts. Well...Tux or Black suit.

IMHO, formal is formal. Its a party, not a funeral. Tux or don't bother with a suit at all!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Past two Veendam cruises to Bermuda, DH and DS (10 & 11) both wore tuxes, and they were amongst the majority and they looked GOOD! Would not even bother packing a suit or tie on NCL!

If your DH likes to dress up and wear a tux as mine does, then he should certainly bring it and wear it proudly. We don't often have an opportunity to dress formally and really enjoy being able to do so on our cruises. Enjoy!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Before you rent a tuxedo for your son, you might want to look at the cost of purchasing one. I bought one for my grandson, although he was a toddler so prices might be very different, but it was not expensive at all. I would have spent the same amount for a nice pair of pants, a sweater, and a shirt for him. I think I got it from tuxedosonline or tuxonline. If you google "boy's tuxedo" you will get quite a few places to buy them. As I recall the sites were quite explicit about measurements, so choosing a size was no problem. Just another option to check out . . .

Tux? Suit? Tux? Suit? who cares --just follow the guidelines for formal nights-- a tux or suit-

bg

This brings the point into focus. The "guide lines" as set by the the cruise line are ment to open everything to the lowest common denominator. Make everyone happy! Well, it doesn't work. You end up with people felling underdressed and others overdressed. Is the requested dress FORMAL or is it close to formal? If no one cares, why bother bringing FORMAL clothes? Lets face it, its an effort. If you can can get away with a jaket & tie, why not? Does the color of the suite matter? It should be formal, or do away with it. I don't feel strongly either way. But I don't want to feel that I'm in the minority wearing a tux. If I can "get away" with a jacjet, I'll save the space and the airline weight charges by ignoring "Formal Night". If its truly formal, I'll gladly wear the tux. If not, (and I can get into the dining room with hundreds of others without one), I'll join them wearing a sports jacket. HAl should make its mind. Make certain rooms, or times FORMAL, and others not. Or as as they say in Brooklyn, Forgettaboutit!

This brings the point into focus. The "guide lines" as set by the the cruise line are ment to open everything to the lowest common denominator. Make everyone happy! Well, it doesn't work. You end up with people felling underdressed and others overdressed. Is the requested dress FORMAL or is it close to formal? If no one cares, why bother bringing FORMAL clothes? Lets face it, its an effort. If you can can get away with a jaket & tie, why not? Does the color of the suite matter? It should be formal, or do away with it. I don't feel strongly either way. But I don't want to feel that I'm in the minority wearing a tux. If I can "get away" with a jacjet, I'll save the space and the airline weight charges by ignoring "Formal Night". If its truly formal, I'll gladly wear the tux. If not, (and I can get into the dining room with hundreds of others without one), I'll join them wearing a sports jacket. HAl should make its mind. Make certain rooms, or times FORMAL, and others not. Or as as they say in Brooklyn, Forgettaboutit!

many reviews posted on CC in the last month on different HAL ships have indicated that Tuxs where in the minority on formal nights.

BG

Before you rent a tuxedo for your son, you might want to look at the cost of purchasing one. I bought one for my grandson, although he was a toddler so prices might be very different, but it was not expensive at all. I would have spent the same amount for a nice pair of pants, a sweater, and a shirt for him. I think I got it from tuxedosonline or tuxonline. If you google "boy's tuxedo" you will get quite a few places to buy them. As I recall the sites were quite explicit about measurements, so choosing a size was no problem. Just another option to check out . . .

I just purchased a tux for my dh on overstock.com for about $100! I was very pleasantly surprised at how great it looks given the price. You would never know it was only $100 by looking at it and dh really likes the fit & feel of it. He wore it to a ball last week and will take it on our cruise next month :)

Neither! :) Smart dress casual & dine in either the Lido or Canaletto! ;)

many reviews posted on CC in the last month on different HAL ships have indicated that Tuxs where in the minority on formal nights.

BG

That's right most posts in the last year report less than 5% wear a tux any more. I got rid of my tux years ago and wear a black suit that never goes out of style. It is a summer weight suit that is very comfortable to wear and easy to pack.

TD

Archived