Lastest on QM2 refit

southwestie

Puska, no worries: CCL last reported net profit =26.43%

Perhaps more importanly to the changes in decor, are changes made to unseen areas. - Just a thought. Regards, Salcaia

I recently checked the "We are Cunard" site & saw the recent video. Low & behold they showed the "holes" that you & I & many others encountered recently. Glad to see it was undermatting deteriorating, and not us about to join the staff below for a surprise visit.

MDR is being refited right now

We've sailed on QM2 for nearly every year she's been in service. The carpet & furnishings have been changed rather frequently. Sometimes the only way to tell is from voyage pics we take. I find this time the refurbishment is more apparent.Though some truly dislike the color choices, I like them. I think once everything is in place people will find it blends quite nicely.

We've sailed on QM2 for nearly every year she's been in service. The carpet & furnishings have been changed rather frequently. Sometimes the only way to tell is from voyage pics we take. I find this time the refurbishment is more apparent.Though some truly dislike the color choices, I like them. I think once everything is in place people will find it blends quite nicely.

Yes your right, we have been on several times a year since 2006 and many things have altered funny to look back, everything will be wonderful soon, well someone will find a fault though:)

Yes your right, we have been on several times a year since 2006 and many things have altered funny to look back, everything will be wonderful soon, well someone will find a fault though:)

The biggest fault I can think of is that I dont get aboard enough.:eek::D

In laymans terms

champagne bar

great looking carpet:)

Rob

The reason that I ask is that the Champagne Bar is open to the atrium area, there is no large wooden partition unless they have fitted one during this refit which wouldn't make too much sense to me. The only door is into the Cart Room and that area viewed through the gap is clearly the atrium so I think that it is some other area.

VCP lounge i carpets

What's up with all the hideous browns? Have we lost the rich and grand looking reds that used to be in the grand lobby? I love Cunard and feel that they are often quite right in their choices but someone should take out the person who said yes to all of the chocolate browns and shoot them at dawn!

What's up with all the hideous browns? Have we lost the rich and grand looking reds that used to be in the grand lobby? I love Cunard and feel that they are often quite right in their choices but someone should take out the person who said yes to all of the chocolate browns and shoot them at dawn!

I hope hey bring the red back

Rob

The reason that I ask is that the Champagne Bar is open to the atrium area, there is no large wooden partition unless they have fitted one during this refit which wouldn't make too much sense to me. The only door is into the Cart Room and that area viewed through the gap is clearly the atrium so I think that it is some other area.

This is a full viw view of it looks like or used to look like, what your seeing is from a doorway ,

Yes on page 5 there is an image of a Queens Suite with the new brown and cream striped carpet, cream or beige sofa and cream curtains with a beige pattern.

Also a puce colour easy chair and matching sofa and bed cushions. Similar to this > :o

p1030085i.jpg

p1030085i.jpg

From the photo, I am not sure this coordinates smoothly. Yes, the cream color in the carpet picks up the cream color of the drapes and sofa fabric, but it just seems forced and a bit of a stretch.

I am looking forward to seeing it for myself on my upcoming crossing in January.

I am much more happy with this photo of a cabin than the first one we had with just the carpet! yes, in my personal tastes its not 100% but its not exactly bad either! :) lets pray those hideous couches in britannia are also covered in a new material!

thanks for posting :D

cheers!

Well its official... All the new carpeting doesnt go with anything - they do remember this is the cruise line for "those with discerning taste" right?

They've managed to make everything look cheap. As a designer with more than 20 years under my belt let me assure you there are some serious design no-no's going on here - and not just an issue of personal taste.

Lets hope dining and other services dont come down to the level of interior design talent.

Still looking forward to my first trip aboard but theyve definitely killed the 1920s Art deco ambience they had. Sad to see it go - theyre also going to have to update their marketing messages as the interior now bears little resemblance to "the golden age of travel"

Still looking forward to my first trip aboard but theyve definitely killed the 1920s Art deco ambience they had. Sad to see it go - theyre also going to have to update their marketing messages as the interior now bears little resemblance to "the golden age of travel"

What I've seen of the redecoration of the public areas looks very nice. For my part, I want the staterooms to be modern but stylish. Having viewed pictures of the staterooms on the original Queen Mary, I'm very pleased that Cunard didn't install facsimiles into QM2.

I agree that the carpet is a bit out-there, and surprising, but I'll wait to see some more photos before I pass judgement.

I will say... That based on the Cunarder photos posted - the new linens do look nice and comfy.

This comes as a great releif as i will be able to use them to shield my eyes from the shocking patterns on the floor.

Are you looking forward to your Cunard cruise?

Are you looking forward to your Cunard cruise?

Yes! My partner and I are looking forward to our first cruise on QM2 (a transatlantic).

I suppose i had fallen in love with the fantasy they are selling of classic ocean travel (circa 1910/20's / Titanic Art Deco era) and was very excited to hear that the ship would be being re-fit to be like new ahead of our trip.

I suppose seeing the injection of all the wildly clashing patterns make it clear that there will be a departure from the fantasy sold in the current marketing literature. (they just dont go visually or fit in with the fantasy of classic ocean travel)

We will have a wonderful trip, I am sure, but i feel a bit like i am not quite getting the experience that was proposed in the marketing and that the interior of the ship rather than being special and unique and one that contributes to that fantasy now seems to be becoming rather ordinary/borderline bad taste and in line with other vessels.

It is dissappointing because the high premium of sailing on this ship is tied to the unique experience and fantasy it offers - one that is closely tied to its visual appeal.

:cool:

They've managed to make everything look cheap. As a designer with more than 20 years under my belt let me assure you there are some serious design no-no's going on here - and not just an issue of personal taste.

Will you share some of your professional insights?

Although I think it looks a little better than the original picture of the rug, I don't care for the accent color.

Will you share some of your professional insights?

Although I think it looks a little better than the original picture of the rug, I don't care for the accent color.

If you work with high contrast patterns vs solid tones or patterns with colors in a similar value range (subtle) - the pattern you work with is going to become the dominant visual element (the thing that draws and holds your eyes attention).

Carpeting, like paint and wallpaper, provides a color foundation upon which you will layer your other design elements (furniture, lighting, draperies etc.)

If the foundational elements are too busy they will overwhelm the other elements in the composition or, to put it another way, the level of noise and visual complexity becomes more than your mind can make sense of easily.

In the visual compositions created by the Cunard design team, there appears to be no place for the eye to relax, and therefore the mind will stay in an anxious state (one of the reasons staring at complicated patterns can make you feel dizzy or give you a headache) your mind and eye will keep trying to process the information into something familiar / keep trying to make sense of it.

Gven Cunards desire to convey a sense of classical elegance, luxury and indulgence you would typically not want to create a visual situation that creates anxiety in the mind - its antithetical to their brand and image.

:)

The newer photos posted above on this page seem to work "better" for many of the reasons ive described - namely the additon of furniture and duvet with relatively solid tones (or very subtle patterns) gives a place for the eye (and therefore the mind) to rest. If you moved the chair and sofa off of the carpet you would once again find the pattern alarming.

Im a little passionate about design is that coming through here haha....

Archived