Sun Princess missed Dunedin & trying Napier again today

If you check Live AIS, I dont think she made it there either. Currently showing her heading away from Napier at 14 knots.

Yep, I think you maybe right Kiwi Kruzer, as I have been watching the live AIS, and I think she has given up on Napier again, and I expect the Sun Princess will now start heading back home.

I'm confused. It doesn't take much to confuse me these days.

Our neighbours are currently on the Sun P. I'm too interested to wait until drinks next Wed night before finding out what happened.

I thought this was a clockwise tour. If the Sun Princess missed Dunedin, why is the ship heading back north to try Napier again? Is the ship is doing a U turn, heading back to Brisbane, and forgetting about Fiordland ? Choosing a port, rather than Fiordland ? Because the ship needs to restock ? Is the weather down south really bad ?

Regards, Ann

Hi Ann,

And now to confuse you even more...:D

The Live AIS from Marine Traffic.com is showing the next destination as Bay of Islands.

Looks like at this time of the year they make up the itinerary as they go along,dependant on weather and sea conditions.

25map.jpg

Hi Ann,

And now to confuse you even more...:D

The Live AIS from Marine Traffic.com is showing the next destination as Bay of Islands.

Looks like at this time of the year they make up the itinerary as they go along,dependant on weather and sea conditions.

25map.jpg

This is almost as exciting as watching the Dawn Princess miss Dublin!

Weather looks good in Bay of Islands.

Hi David,

And now to confuse you even more... Gee, thanks :rolleyes:

What a fascinating cruise. 'Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice.

I wonder what the mood is like onboard ??

All posts with information on the whereabouts of the wayward Sun Princess ( with my neighbours) will be appreciated.

Regards, Ann

Sun Princess seems to be circling in Bay of Plenty

At 9.30am Brisbane Time she was doing 10 knots in a sth Easterly direction (112degrees):confused:

Perhaps sheltering

But I am guessing, as she needs to be back in Bne by 30th (Wednesday), it will be doubtful if she will be able to spend any time at the Bay of Islands:mad:

Seems like a bit of a bummer cruise for those looking forward to the sights of the South Island.

I am hoping all the bad weather is gone by New Years

cheers

To all those interested about the wayward Sun Princess we were told it was because of the weather, and yes the mood onboard was a bit stretched. then coming home there were generator problems as we were told that slowed things down and made us late. Not the best cruise will think again before doing NZ cruisMed last yesr much better.

Hi David,

What a fascinating cruise.

fascinating??? definitely NOT...I WAS ON IT

should have been Called GROUNDHOG DAY ...it was THE most BORING cruise We have ever done..

I wonder what the mood is like onboard ??

not happy.

no more Princess for us after this shambles.

jannandjohn, can you tell us more about the shambles?, Did the ship did not tell you what was happing? Why was it boring?

Auckland... had the world triathlon...everything closed off till 2pm..including most stops for the EXPLORER BUS.

Tauranga...AFTER we had given back our hire car, the Capt announced we were stuck in the harbour..because of tides..

for an extra 11 hrs...so we had to by pass Napier..meanwhile before the capt said anything about missing Napier,

I had been told by email ,by a private tour op. in Napier , that we would be returning there instead of Dunedin.

..he wanted to know if we wanted to rebook our tour..

I told him he must be mistaken

Wellington ...was pouring rain

Capt then announced ..NO DUNEDIN, OR FIORDLAND ..

and we would be returning to Napier , so our tour op in Napier was right....why did he know so far before we were told??

so we rebooked for Napier

Akaroa had up to 3 hr wait in dining room for tenders..you have to wait and get a ticket...SO BE EARLY!!!!!!

We finally got almost to Napier..OFF SHORE....

sorry... Capt changed his mind again..NO Napier..so again we stuffed up our private tour guy...felt sorry for him.

Went to bay of islands for 4 hrs instead of the other ports ..again a tender fiasco waiting to board one ...

by the time we docked..everything was booked out.

we spent most of the cruise at sea...yuk!!

and then the Capt announced...a generator was stuffed...sorry 7 hrs later into Brisbane..

Why was it boring?

I may be 62, but sitting around in a lounge chair all day, staring into space is not my idea of fun.

We choose cruises for the ports..not sea days.

Entertainers could not be swapped at different ports, because we couldn't stop.

and the movies they played were old,old.

We chose late dining because we thought we would be late back each day..from touring, shopping etc

We discovered the people on our table were b2b ers, who were more interested in sucking up to the waiters ( because they were now "known")

they did NOT converse with us at all

I am a hairdresser, my husband a cab driver, so we are very well versed in small talk....but could not drag a conversation out of this lot.

WE TRIED TO CHANGE, BUT NO GO....GRRRRRR

other ships have anytime dining., much better, or NCL has 12 restaurants, with no time restraints...better still.

We went to the Sterling Steakhouse, and were driven mad by the bored waiters asking every 3o secs

"how is you meal"...

"how is you meal"...

"how is you meal"...

"how is you meal"...( no typo's btw ...)

I wanted to scream...just go away !!!

but mostly because..

2494721020071872817S500x500Q85.jpg

Sorry you had such a bad time, JannandJohn. :( Luckily we love sea days (DH has to be practically dragged off at ports) and I would love to see B of I and cruise around White Island.

Which reminds me I must email my friends and see what they thought of it all.

Would you please give me the website you are getting those ship locations on.

Do you mean this one?

If it does not work, just google Marine Traffic Live AIS, as it can vary in each country.

ie,There used to be a NZ one , but it des not work any more.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?centerx=30&centery=25&zoom=2&level1=140

Archived