Smart casual attire

cruisemama5

Ok, I've been on HAL a couple of times, but DH and I are not in agreement as to what "smart casual" means. He wants to wear khaki pants with a Hawaiian shirt on some of those nights. He does have some nicer pants and a jacket and shirt for other nights, but prefers the Hawaiian shirts. I told him I thought that was a little too casual. What are your opinions

Also, are dress capri shorts with a nice top ok for me for the MDR in the evenings, especially on embarkation day? I plan on bringing long pants and skirts or dresses too.

What do people mainly wear on these nights, other than the extremes of t-shirts and shorts, etc.?

Thanks.

If it is a Hawaiian or Caribbean cruise, your husband will be fine. I really can't comment on what women wear as I really don't notice any other women other than my wife. How is that for a safe answer!;)

You're likely to get a bunch of different opinions on this one, but here's my two cents.

My DH and I just returned from a two week cruise on the Oosterdam to Hawaii. On smart casual nights, my DH wore slacks - either nice cords or black, grey, tan or blue slacks. Kind of like khakis, I guess, but more like dress slacks. He brought very nice jeans, but he didn't feel comfortable wearing them at night. However, a number of men (and women) DID wear jeans at night. I did twice - I wore a very nice pair of white jeans once and a very nice pair of VERY dark blue jeans (almost black) - neither actually LOOK like jeans. I paired them with a very nice blouse and high-ish heels. I'd have to say that we were dressed at least as nice if not nicer than the majority, although there was a small percentage that were dressed nicer - a few men in suits with ties and a few women who wore rather fancy dresses on smart casual nights. (Saw one guy wearing quite faded blue jeans with a jacket (but no tie) on FORMAL night. Not sure if he got into the MDR, but he was headed that way.) I saw a LOT of Hawaiian type shirts on smart casual nights, as well. Of course, we WERE in Hawaii! Also saw a lot of capris on women, but they shouldn't be "shorts" length - they should be just above your ankles or maybe mid calf, so as not to be confused with shorts. I don't recall seeing anyone in the MDR wearing shorts at night. (See below re other venues.)

We may have giggled a few times over some people's rather absurd interpretation of smart casual or formal, but nothing we saw could possibly ruin an evening for us. As indicated, we dressed up more than most on smart casual and, for that matter, on formal nights, too, because we LIKE to, not that we needed to in order to fit in.

Finally, as the evenings wore on, we did see more and more people in quite casual dress - meaning shorts and the like. Possibly they changed after dinner or they had eaten in the Lido and then went ahead and went to the lounges and/or shows in whatever they were wearing, despite HAL's "suggestion" to stay dressed up for the duration of the evening. Again - we didn't give a hoot, but I did see a couple people here and there roll their eyes or point and whisper at those wearing shorts, for example.

Enjoy your cruise!

We just got off the 11-day Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise. DH also favors hawaiian shirts. He wore them every smart casual night, even twice in the Pinnacle Grill. He never looked too casual or out of place. I saw jeans & t-shirts (not polo shirts) worn, too.

OTOH, I saw a man turned away from the MDR on formal night - he had a polo shirt on. Another man was given a way-to-big jacket to wear on formal night.

I also saw more tuxes on this cruise than on any other cruise we've taken. I believe the length of the cruise, and the average age (65+) of the passengers.

Ok, I've been on HAL a couple of times, but DH and I are not in agreement as to what "smart casual" means. He wants to wear khaki pants with a Hawaiian shirt on some of those nights. He does have some nicer pants and a jacket and shirt for other nights, but prefers the Hawaiian shirts. I told him I thought that was a little too casual. What are your opinions
I don't feel that is too casual and that it fits within HAL "smart casual" code. But what is important is that he makes you happy. If you feel it is too casual then, you two need to work things out. :)

I don't feel that is too casual and that it fits within HAL "smart casual" code. But what is important is that he makes you happy. If you feel it is too casual then, you two need to work things out. :)

It's okay with me if he wears those shirts. I was just afraid it would be too casual.

I don't think his casual outfit is anymore casual than your capris. Especially if it is a Caribbean or Hawaiian cruise, both sound perfect for casual night to me.

I was not planning on wearing capris initially, but thought I would ask about them, and may chnage my mind now and wear them sometime. Was mostly going to wear them in ports, but maybe if we get back to the ship with not much time to change, I will just go ahead and wear them.

I've never been turned away from an MDR on any ship, even on formal night, wearing a pair of nice chinos and a collared shirt. On RCL and HAL, they tended to seat me with other 'dressed down' people, but on Princess and Celebrity, they didn't even bat an eyelash - I was at tables with people in tuxes and gowns, people in sports jackets, people like me in just a collared shirt, etc.

I honestly don't know why people get their knickers in a twist about dress codes. What I'm wearing is no one's business but mine. Does it really negatively affect the taste of your food to see someone at the next table actually dressed comfortably?

I honestly don't know why people get their knickers in a twist about dress codes. What I'm wearing is no one's business but mine. Does it really negatively affect the taste of your food to see someone at the next table actually dressed comfortably?

It is about atmosphere, not the taste of the food. My tuxedo is very comfortable too. :rolleyes:

We just got off the 11-day Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise. DH also favors hawaiian shirts. He wore them every smart casual night, even twice in the Pinnacle Grill. He never looked too casual or out of place. I saw jeans & t-shirts (not polo shirts) worn, too.

OTOH, I saw a man turned away from the MDR on formal night - he had a polo shirt on. Another man was given a way-to-big jacket to wear on formal night.

I also saw more tuxes on this cruise than on any other cruise we've taken. I believe the length of the cruise, and the average age (65+) of the passengers.

What possible difference could it make since it only hangs on the back of the chair anyway?

Archived