Who boards 1st?

awinner

We are currently aboard the Emerald Princess and are in a suite. When we boarded in FLL last Monday we found that Preferred Boarding passengers were ushered into a private room where they were seated in the order in which they arrived. If made no difference whether you were Suite, Elite, or Platinum.

About 20 minutes before Preferred Boarding began processing, they took the Bon Voyage participants to check in. The persons in charge of the Preferred Boarding room were very thorough in explaining just why the Bon Voyage participants were being handled separately.

When it came time for Priority Boarding passengers to check in, they were lined up according to when they arrived in the boarding area. After check in, the Preferred Boarding passengers were moved to another "holding area". When boarding started, special needs passengers boarded first followed by the rest of the Preferred Boarding passengers based upon their seating positions in the final holding room. At no time were Suite, Elite, and Platinum passengers segregated according to their Princess status.

I use a mobility scooter and no matter what other group I belong to, we check in with disabled......because at San Pedro and other ports, we have to take an elevator up so the boarding line "re-lines" at the elevator.
DW arrives at the pier in her own wheelchair, but we require assistance to board (think of pushing a chair up those inclines to the ship while managing a carryon!). Also, while disabled passengers have their separate line, it does not move at the same rate as the other line, because there are a limited number of crew assigned to assist, and we have had to wait for the "next available helper" many times.

Her attitude toward those who are "upset" at this priority for the disabled is summed up in a comment she made - with a smile - to a neighbor who parked in the space her apartment complex reserved for her: "I'll trade you this parking spot for your legs. Deal?"

FWIW, we are elite and next time will be traveling with a terminally ill friend who is also in a wheel chair. One way or the other we will be near the leading edge of the migration but we also get to the pier early so it is more or less first come first served.

Is this primarily in US ports? I recall previous discussions that said outside of the US it's generally not required to get off the ship until it's cleared. On a b2b in Copenhagen we weren't required to get off the ship & were issued new cards onboard.

This was about reboarding if you did get off. Even not in the US, if you do get off before the ship has been cleared, you must wait until it has been cleared to reboard.

If you do not want to get off the ship, at some point you must go through the process of activating the new cards, usually once the ship has been cleared of those who are disembarking for good.

We're just answering the question the OP posted...:rolleyes:

It seems to matter to the OP or perhaps they were just curious. It's a good question and deserves an answer. If you're traveling with someone who's disabled or has a mobility problem and you're unfamiliar with the boarding process, it's a concern.

Does it matter...yes & no. We are in a suite this time so we know if we are there early enough, we get priority boarding....my mother need a wheelchair to board, and several years ago when it was time to board someone who was elite staus made quite a ruckus that we were boarding before him, and made a point to let everyone know he was elite status and should be on board before anyone else. So, that being said, I had wondered of things had changed. No harm, no foul...in the end we all enjoy the ship..just one enjoys it 10 minutes earlier;)

I apologize if I offended anyone, that is not what I intended. I merely tried to point out that we are all well taken care of by getting on board and that, IMHO, it does not matter if you going to be the first or the last one to board as long as we all make it before sailing. It should not make a difference what status you have or if you need assistance, if you early enough you will board early being it through the special line for wheelchairs, scooters, etc. -- Elite/Platinum line or the regular line.

As “awinner” notes…you might gain 10 minutes. Just my 2 cents worth.

Theo

I apologize if I offended anyone, that is not what I intended. I merely tried to point out that we are all well taken care of by getting on board and that, IMHO, it does not matter if you going to be the first or the last one to board as long as we all make it before sailing. It should not make a difference what status you have or if you need assistance, if you early enough you will board early being it through the special line for wheelchairs, scooters, etc. -- Elite/Platinum line or the regular line.

As “awinner” notes…you might gain 10 minutes. Just my 2 cents worth.

Theo

I understand your point of view but sometimes, and in some ports, Princess (or their reps) does not take good care of you and you can wind up standing in line for hours. If you've earned the right to Priority boarding, it can make a huge difference. All ports are not like FLL or San Pedro. Just saying. :)

A few years ago, my sister and BIL and I were boarding a cruise in Buenos Aires. I chose a tour from the hotel that ended at the pier, they took the transfer. When my bus arrived at the pier, it was total chaos with lines out the door and down two blocks. My driver asked for anyone who had Priority boarding to follow him. He got us into the building and into a relatively short line. It took only half an hour in line to check in. My sister and BIL, who were already Elite by then, were directed to the end of the line on the street. It took them three hours of standing in line before they even checked in. Is this unusual? Probably but it's not rare and not unheard of. I've boarded in many other ports which, while not as bad, weren't the best experience.

If you're traveling with someone who is elderly, physically challenged, small children, etc., boarding waits can make a difference. People's manners have disappeared and few will give up a seat in the waiting area for the elderly if its crowded. They will also knock you over if you're on crutches or wearing a boot in their rush to get ahead. I've seen it happen far too often. Yes, you can always arrive later to avoid that issue but sometimes, that's not an option.

I have been an in transit passenger several times and sometimes that is the case sometimes it is not the case. The one thing I know for sure is that there are no hard and fast rules but more like general guidelines.

It's sort of like the Pirate's Code....right? :D

Yes but refrain from using the word "Pirate" whilst in line to board. You might get put in a really special "lounge" for that.

I have been an in transit passenger several times and sometimes that is the case sometimes it is not the case. The one thing I know for sure is that there are no hard and fast rules but more like general guidelines.

It's sort of like the Pirate's Code....right? :D

The sad truth is that mini-suites are not suites in any of the ways that count. Back in the line with you AA-AE types. :o

In case that was obtuse, standard cabins. :D

Where are mini-suites in this foodchain? Same as suites or standard cabins?

Just curious - I'm content to get on board whenever Princess sees fit.

Tnx!

Where are mini-suites in this foodchain? Same as suites or standard cabins?
Mini-suites are not suites and are mis-named. They are the equivalent of a "deluxe" cabin on other lines. There's a sitting area, two TVs, and a larger bathroom with a tub. The sitting area is not a separate room as one would expect with the term "suite." There are few perks that come with a mini-suite: a glass of (cheap) wine at sailaway and better towels. Big whoop.

This was about reboarding if you did get off. Even not in the US, if you do get off before the ship has been cleared, you must wait until it has been cleared to reboard.

If you do not want to get off the ship, at some point you must go through the process of activating the new cards, usually once the ship has been cleared of those who are disembarking for good.

There are times (in the US) where you are forced to get off on a B2B. We were in LAX last December.

Does it matter, as long as you make it on board before the ship sails your fine.

Theo

I definitely could matter and apparently does to the OP. The last year of my mom's life she was in a wheelchair, and believe me, these things mattered. There are so many reasons one could be immobile and need to know where they might be and how processes might affect them. My mom's experience certainly has made me so much more aware of the many, many different things that need to be considered.

So, it does matter and perhaps there is more to it than just being on the ship before it sails.

DW arrives at the pier in her own wheelchair, but we require assistance to board (think of pushing a chair up those inclines to the ship while managing a carryon!). Also, while disabled passengers have their separate line, it does not move at the same rate as the other line, because there are a limited number of crew assigned to assist, and we have had to wait for the "next available helper" many times.

Her attitude toward those who are "upset" at this priority for the disabled is summed up in a comment she made - with a smile - to a neighbor who parked in the space her apartment complex reserved for her: "I'll trade you this parking spot for your legs. Deal?"

Oh my goodness. My mom was in a wheelchair the last year of her life and one of my very dear friends died of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) a year ago so also had mobility issues. My brother has a neurological disease that has confined him to a wheelchair about 80% of the time. I think prior to these experiences I was sensitive to the needs of those disabled. But after living these experiences with my loved ones, I am so much more educated and hope I truly never do anything that could make their experiences traveling, using public restrooms (yes, now a pet peeve of mine), etc. more challenging than they need to be.

I definitely could matter and apparently does to the OP. The last year of my mom's life she was in a wheelchair, and believe me, these things mattered. There are so many reasons one could be immobile and need to know where they might be and how processes might affect them. My mom's experience certainly has made me so much more aware of the many, many different things that need to be considered.

So, it does matter and perhaps there is more to it than just being on the ship before it sails.

See my reply at post #31. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone.

Theo

I am in preferred lounge san pedro pier right now. they are now passing out black preferred elite boarding passes in addition to the regular platinum passes. direct from princess rep they will be calling elite first. there also be much more strict about parties to goes with who.

I think prior to these experiences I was sensitive to the needs of those disabled. But after living these experiences with my loved ones, I am so much more educated and hope I truly never do anything that could make their experiences traveling, using public restrooms (yes, now a pet peeve of mine), etc. more challenging than they need to be.

That true for me too. We had a trip to Disney Land planned for our young son and I had vein stripping a week before and did not want to cancel so I used a wheel chair for the week. I still remember getting to the parade route early so we could get right in the front so I could see. I still remember all the people pushing their way in front of me as soon as the parade started. It's kind of like people passing you going way over the speed limit and you get to the next stop light and they are right next to you in the other lane. What difference does it make if you get their 5 minutes ealier.

I am in preferred lounge san pedro pier right now. they are now passing out black preferred elite boarding passes in addition to the regular platinum passes. direct from princess rep they will be calling elite first. there also be much more strict about parties to goes with who.

I thought I saw you sneak in front of me! We got on board right after you in our wheelchair...too bad the dining room was closed.

I thought I saw you sneak in front of me! We got on board right after you in our wheelchair...too bad the dining room was closed.

What the heck is it with the Sapphire and the dinning room closed all the time for lunch?

What the heck is it with the Sapphire and the dinning room closed all the time for lunch?

We were on the Sapphire for the 28 day cruise and the dining room was open for lunch. We were doing the bon voyage experience and they had the regular passengers wait until we were seated and then they let them in. There were quite a number who ate lunch in the dining room that day.

Archived