Muzak on Constellation - very irritating

DougYWG

[quote name='dkjretired']Read the other thread, almost everyone is complaining about the loud and rap music, this is not just one person complaining. I read it and was shocked...

Celebrity was always known for their quiet, no announcements policy. If this is the case on my Sept cruise that will be it for wife and I...[/QUOTE]

I guess my problem is believing that this is something that is dictated by "Miami". I can more easily believe that it is something that might happen on an individual ship and perhaps when questioned on it, the crew might try to shift the blame to "Miami" for something that they, themselves, were responsible for. As I wrote, we did not experience this problem on Silhouette in early February. I too was shocked to read those accounts and would have been seriously offended if we had been subjected to it.

If this is coming from corporate, maybe it is "X the rules" Part II. You may recall that the failed, seemingly crude, ad campaigne was targeting young "hip" cruisers. Well, that is who is being targeted by this music.

Of course Celebrity must grow its market, but in these economic times can it really afford to alienate its existing customer base. I would guess many of Celebrity's loyal, repeat cruisers are older and may not be as affected by the economy as younger people. Would this not be the time to focus on, not alienate, the existing customer?

[quote name='ghstudio']As one of my non-work jobs, I do live sound for my religious organization. I can assure you that for every person who thinks the sound is too loud, there is another who wants me to turn it up. I know I have the sound right when I get an equal number of people complaining. (I am not joking).

If you are in a venue (or on a ship) where the music is too loud, just look across the room and you'll see someone who think's it's just perfect and another straining to hear it.....

And please....do not insists that the soundman adjust the sound to your preferences. I (and every other soundman) get far too much of that and we are sometimes known to get very snippy and vindictive (you think this is loud....:)[/quote]The responses on this thread do not back up what you say - at least 10 complaints of too loud for every okay. You give no indication of any quantifiable level that you set your sound at. But you do [apparently proudly] say that you and every other soundman are sometimes vindictive. From your statements I get a pretty good idea of who is the first person I'd shoot to solve the problem.

Thom

[quote name='Dena']I have read that rap and other loud intrusive music is being played and this is dictated by "Miami" and cannot not be changed by officers or crew onboard regardless of the wishes of passengers. Is this true in Blu also. My preference would me no music, but if music is needed, maybe soft Jazz or some other peaceful instrumental music would do. This is nearly a deal breaker, but maybe in aqua class we could basically opt-out, especially if we spend most of our time on our balcony. Sadly, I read the relaxation room is also blasting club type music. Is this try in the Persian gardens. I guess we could bring earplugs, but if the music is very loud, this won't work[/quote]

I've requested the music in the Persian Garden be turned down.

Unfortunately, there seems no way to escape the decibels coming from the Grand Foyer on the S-Class ships.

On Princess, we like to sit on the quiet promenade. S-Class ships have a greatly abbreviated "Promenade" which I call a joke.

Princess has more lounge areas to escape the noise of Muzak. Those lounge areas usually have live entertainment in the evening and are relatively quiet during the day for reading.

S-Class Library vibrates with noise, but the M-Class as a whole has more areas to escape the decibels.

Maris

This is so interesting. I just got off the Constellation 1 week ago and noticed the same exact thing. The type of musak was strange and loud that we actually noticed it. We ate in the Tuscan Grille and thought the musak was so strange and lound we couldn't even hear each other during dinner.

Please Celebrity, need new Musak and turn it down...

Yikes, thanks for the warnings, folks. Certainly hope we don't find the music as loud as many of you do; I've definitely experienced productions that were too loud on RCL, but don't remember ever experiencing recorded background music (at any level) on a ship before, so our fingers are crossed...
:o

We too were not pleased with the lack of quiet places on our recent Solstice cruise. Here is an extract from the letter we sent to Celebrity

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]The problem is the noise. In the evening it is truly disturbing to have a stateroom near the atrium as the noise from the entertainment offered on Deck 3 pretty much made the room vibrate well past 10:00 pm on occasion. If dance music is to be offered great, only please shut it down earlier or find another location. Good grief, trying to seek solace in the Library or Card Room (both places which should be quiet) was pretty much hopeless given the open design. We noticed the iLounge on Deck 6 was glassed in and not open to the Atrium, perhaps the cynic in us said because this is a profit center for the organization, therefore some money can be spent to enclose it and eliminate the noise. If the atrium is to be an entertainment center how about glassing in the lobbies of the staterooms off the atrium so that we can enjoy the quiet so sought for on our vacation?[/I][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][I]Speaking of noise, this was something so startlingly unpleasant in almost every area of the ship. There really is a dearth of places that are quiet. The Lawn Club which could be a place of reflection and enjoyment of the surroundings was pretty much ruined for us by the incessant recorded music played at volumes approaching rock concert decibels. My wife, who enjoys a variety of music, and has eclectic music tastes could not stand the noise, and this lovely space became a non visiting area for us. In fact noise throughout the ship was a huge issue for us. The dinning room is just one big open void with no effort made to dampen sound. Perhaps dividers between seating areas could be considered to lessen the constant din of conversations in such a huge space?[/I][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][I]It was virtually impossible to find a quiet place in any public area of the ship, and this was such a terrible disappointment. Vacation time for us is an opportunity to relax from the stress of our daily lives, and the constant blaring music, and all of the noise around us, truly detracted from the beautiful ship and pleasant surroundings.[/I][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Celebrities response was a very nice OBC for our next cruise, acknowledgement and apology for the issues, and we're happy with their response.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]I suggest everyone who is not happy with the noise, write to Celebrity as documenting them on Cruise Critic does not tell Celebrity about the issue, and if we don't tell them they can't fix it.[/FONT]

After so many complaints about this anoing music played now on X- ships I really wonder if they ever read these boards. The majority would love a nice and quite ship I suppose. Nothing against a noise level in certain lounges to acommadate the wishes wo the ones who likes to overwhealmed with noise and loud music! ( to avoid conversation???) As much as we loved the Martini Bar an the setting there on our last Solstice cruises we could not stay long because it was just to loud.
Anyhow I will wait and see for the next two cruises are booked already with X- but after that and with no more prommenade decks ( I mean with a view) and if nothing happens with this music I consider a change to Cunard or Holland America- as much as I love X .
Michael

I just got off the Century and as an early riser, I would grab a cup of coffee from the buffet at about 6am and every morning I was extremely irritated by the jarringly loud and often inappropriate muzak playing. Who wants to hear jazz as they watch the sunrise? Yuk. And I could not find a quiet place to curl up and read a book due to the everpresent muzak - I thought the Hemisphere Lounge in the early afternoon would be a lovely spot, but the muzak drove me out. This was my number 1 gripe on my comment form.

This seems to be the Celebrity norm these days. We started cruising with Celebrity in 1992 and 25 cruises later the music and shows are VERY loud. I have proof of this since I video taped all my cruises since 1992 and the music kept getting louder and louder as time went on. I have mentioned this several times while on our cruises lately, but it appears to have fallen on "deaf ears". Obviously, the numbnuts in Miami haven't a clue as to the effect of loud music (or any loud sound) on one's ears. I guess the whole bunch of them will have to go deaf and/or suffer from tinnitus (like I am as the result of an accidental meating with a bold of lightning) before they realize the problem. How is the problem on HAL? I may be forced to change cruiselines although I'd rather not. Are you listening Miami or do I have to shout so you can hear me!:mad:
Phil

I am on hold with Celebrity now, and they have a bunch of music "montages" playing, harping on the idea of "modern luxury". From that, it sounds to me like they are really trying to attract a younger crowd. Perhaps the crowd of affluent 20-30 somethings who are more chic and trendy rather than traditional.

If the music on the ship is anything like the music on the phone, I can see why older travelers might find it extremely annoying. I don't mind it myself, though. Music can be very powerful and set the right mood for different situations. Haven't you ever shown up to a restaurant and eaten a meal before they are really ready to open? You know, before the background music is on and everything is perfectly silent? It's very bizarre!

Just got off the Silhouette day before yesterday and I couldn't agree more. There was a live band in the atrium with a drummer that seemed to think louder was better. Couldn't even hear the singer because of the drum banging and the echo. Had to leave the Martini bar several times because of the noise. Tried the library and actually held my hands to my ear. The planners of the ship seemed to have left out some place for dance classes, Zumba classes and the like. When these are going on in the Atrium, you just have to leave the area. Music in Tuscan grill was so loud we ate in silence because we couldn't hear each other. Such a shame. Blu was wonderfully quite.

[quote name='Sarajevosue']Just got off the Silhouette day before yesterday and I couldn't agree more. There was a live band in the atrium with a drummer that seemed to think louder was better. Couldn't even hear the singer because of the drum banging and the echo. Had to leave the Martini bar several times because of the noise. Tried the library and actually held my hands to my ear. The planners of the ship seemed to have left out some place for dance classes, Zumba classes and the like. When these are going on in the Atrium, you just have to leave the area. Music in Tuscan grill was so loud we ate in silence because we couldn't hear each other. Such a shame. Blu was wonderfully quite.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Ask someone to turn the music down. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]As for the manager of:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Entertainment (the Cruise Director)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Guest Relations[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Ocean View Buffet [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Theatre[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]MDR[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Tuscan Grill[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Bar Manager[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Persian Garden[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Lido Deck[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Hotel Manager, Food & Beverage Manager, the CAPTAIN.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Ask "who turns the music down for ----- (fill in the blank)."

Say you want the music turned down, even if you must speak loudly over the music. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Claire[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='floridacruisers']This seems to be the Celebrity norm these days. We started cruising with Celebrity in 1992 and 25 cruises later the music and shows are VERY loud. I have proof of this since I video taped all my cruises since 1992 and the music kept getting louder and louder as time went on. I have mentioned this several times while on our cruises lately, but it appears to have fallen on "deaf ears". Obviously, the numbnuts in Miami haven't a clue as to the effect of loud music (or any loud sound) on one's ears. I guess the whole bunch of them will have to go deaf and/or suffer from tinnitus (like I am as the result of an accidental meating with a bold of lightning) before they realize the problem. How is the problem on HAL? I may be forced to change cruiselines although I'd rather not. Are you listening Miami or do I have to shout so you can hear me!:mad:
Phil[/QUOTE]

Consider Princess, they have improved their smoking policy. I very, very, rarely play music at home or in my car. I like peace and quiet and I like to read. Princess does have music, but I did not find it intrusive.

The best thing to do, in addition to complaining on Cruise Critic, is to firmly state your inacceptance of this new policy - of constant, loud music blaring in all venues on a cruise ship - on the comment cards provided, as well as in a letter to corporate headquarters.[COLOR=white].[/COLOR] Promise them that you will not return to Celebrity until you understand that this new policy has been reversed.[COLOR=white].[/COLOR] Then keep your promise.[COLOR=white].[/COLOR] When the number of passengers drop, and corporate executives scramble to figure out why....their research will determine that a large number of these people complained about the incessantly loud music, and haven't been back on a Celebrity ship since.[COLOR=white]. [/COLOR] You'll see lost revenue works, and how quickly they go back to providing their guests with an appropriate tranquil environment.

Since the advent of the cramming of deck chairs, lack of rule enforcement, declination of food quality, constantly loud music (especially rap and techno), and general targeting their ammenities towards a younger, less-discerning crowd, we have not sailed on Celebrity.[COLOR=white].[/COLOR][COLOR=white] [/COLOR] We do, however, keep an open mind and allow for corporate executives to realize their error of their ways.[COLOR=white].[/COLOR] Once conditions improve, and once again meet our expectations, we will gladly return, as many aspects of Celebrity are still outstanding.

Rick

[quote name='Sarajevosue']Just got off the Silhouette day before yesterday and I couldn't agree more. Music in Tuscan grill was so loud we ate in silence because we couldn't hear each other. Such a shame. Blu was wonderfully quite.[/QUOTE]

I sure would not pay 40 dollars each for such an atmosphere. It is good to learn that we can opt-out of Muzak by dining in Blu for breakfast and dinner and having room service lunch. If we decide to try Celebrity, we will bring earplugs for the rest of the ship. But right now, this information makes us very reluctant to leave Princess. I don't need or want constant noise and DH has tinnitus.

I'm no fan of loud background music as I have trouble hearing conversation in a noisy environment and travel with others that have the same problem.

We got off of the Equinox for a 10 day Caribbean cruise last Monday. With the exception of loud techno style music in the Martini Bar (which is otherwise one of our favorite hangouts) we really didn't find the music around the ship bothersome. We ate in Blue and also had dinner in the Tuscan Grill and Murano two nights each. We had no problems with noise level or hearing in any of those dining venues. The only other time the music was slightly bothersome was when we retired to our AQ cabin one evening and could hear the bass from a party up on the pool deck (we were close to being under the stage area) and that didn't last too long.

I thought I'd have to speak up as some of the comments here sounded like the music level was totally destroying the entire cruise and we didn't find that to be the case at all and would not want others to be unjustly scared away from giving Celebrity a try. While I certainly wouldn't say the background music was a positive factor in our cruise it certainly wasn't anything that would drive me away from Celebrity.

Others might be more sensitive or had different experiences on their sailings but we certainly didn't experience anything that would drive us away from Celebrity. To the contrary, we had an absolutely fantastic cruise with a beautiful ship in fantastic condition, top notch service in all areas, great lounge entertainment (fantastic guitar player and good party band) and some of the best food we've experienced in the 9 years we've sailed on Celebrity.

I wonder if the music selections were due to the locale of the cruise itinerary? I never heard any rap music while on my med cruise, but did find the live music to be rather loud coming from Atrium, but it was a party and expected. I never went to the Martini Bar, or too many of the shows.

We'll see what happens this summer.

Probably the only negative I have constantly put in my end of cruise comments is the Music being too loud in most venues where people gather to meet to communicate and the techno crap they call music in other places including the Buffet..

Nothing has changed because of my comments. The problem started as recently as our cruise on the Solstice which was fairly new at the time. I think there was a corporate change in onboard music with the launch of the S class and it has filtered down to the other ships.

I'm also thinking that although we here always bring it up (too loud) that we are of a certain age that are in the minority..
How could we be you say.... Well check the age of the staff that Work these areas and control the volume..

they have young ears. ....

if we get the loud stuff on Silho April 10th cruise, we will file comment cards & speak to the CD or whoever else is in charge... we do not need someone's canned "happy music" to enjoy our cruise!!!!

we plan to enjoy our balcony, BLU, the relaxation room & aft bar--but otherwise will not be liking the jumpy, loud stuff & should not have to flee to escape it...!

[COLOR="Teal"]can someone in the know call Celebrity & tell them this is one of the chief complaints in many recent cruise critic threads...? I came across several more today.....and the problem is not "old fogey ears".[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Sienna"][B]and while we are weighing in about the volume & musical selection problems, may I suggest they consider : a good reggae band from the islands... a nice harpist, a latin band, a good guitarist--either classical or Jimmy Buffit style and a decent party band!!! Not too much to ask...they do it on Royal (except for the harpist!)!!![/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='Lsimon']The only place where I was particularly annoyed by the music on our Equinox cruise was the Martini Bar where there was a loud Techno kind of music that is completely out of context with the live music played on the ship. It seems most of the live music was aimed at an extremely mature audience, but the Techno music on the Martini Bar went the other way completely and was at a volume level that made conversation difficult. We too asked for it to be turned down repeatedly. Sometimes it was and sometimes not.[/quote]

Thank you for posting that the music was turned down when requested.

I can ask for the music be turned down each time I ask for a drink. No problem asking.

We may book the Constellation or Infinity soon, we plan to look for quiet places rather than bother with the problem. It seems muzak is set for when the crowds arrive but we like to be ahead of the crowd...... maybe that is one of our problems.

Maris

[quote name='USVI-4-me']Thank you for posting that the music was turned down when requested.

I can ask for the music be turned down each time I ask for a drink. No problem asking.

We may book the Constellation or Infinity soon, we plan to look for quiet places rather than bother with the problem. It seems muzak is set for when the crowds arrive but we like to be ahead of the crowd...... maybe that is one of our problems.

Maris[/quote]

There are pleantly of nice quiet bars if you don't want the music in the Martini Bar. The ensemble lounge is a wonderful place that is usually quiet but also often has easly music in the evening (jazz or guitar). Micheal's club on the Equinox was nearly a ghost town the couple times we looked in. We chose the Martini Bar as our group had a history there as we met and frequented the "old" Martini Bar on the M class ships when it was a better place for pre-dinner conversation. I believe the bartenders in the Ensemble lounge can make the larger martinis on the martini bar menu and have a copy there at the bar - that was the case on a prior cruise although we didn't try it on our most recent cruise.

Archived