Muzak on Constellation - very irritating

DougYWG

Your argument would have some validity if the no cost venues had been eliminated. Several years ago there were only a few places to dine - the MDR, the buffet and the pool grill. Now there are ADDITIONAL places to dine. Even though extra cost dining options have been added, meals are still included in the buffet, MDR and pool grills. Non of the extra cost dining has taken that away. They have only added additional options for those who want to make use of them. Not unlike offering extra cost excursions for those that want to take them, while exploring on your own is still free like it's always been. I tire of these endless "we're being ripped off" comments.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, as I don't think the OP mentioned anything about dining, but I just wanted to say how strongly I agree with Boogs on this one. The price of cruising has remained pretty much the same for the past 20 years, and they still offer the same "included" dining options. You need only pay for "extras". You want a cruise that is truly all inclusive? Then be prepared to pay twice as much for your ticket ;)

OK - stepping off my soap box...

Now back to the subject at hand. I've never found the music to be overly loud in any of the venues... at least, not louder than I expected them to be. I mean, you go to the dance club expecting it to be loud, right? Sure, sometimes it can get loud in the theater - but no louder than if you go see a show on Broadway.

Only problem I ever had was this one time at the Martini Bar on the Connie, the same song kept playing over and over again! After about 45 minutes I told the bartender about it and voilà - problem solved. CD player must've been stuck on auto-repeat or something.

I will agree that the overall design of the main atrium on Solstice class ships is a bit curious, as any music being played in the main lobby reverberates all the way up to the 15th floor. So if you're in the library or the Hideaway, both which should be quiet areas by definition, you still get the sound of the band playing in the lobby. Now personally, I'm usually down listening to the band - but I can still understand how those in the library would find it annoying.

I much prefer the muzak on Celebrity to the constant Cruise Director babble over the intercom on most other cruise lines (ex. "We've got bingo starting in the theater in 15 minutes", or "Don't forget the hairy chest contests by the pool", or "We've got the art auction starting at two"). Ugh... Now that's an annoying sound :D On Celebrity, it's once a day at noon. Hallelujah!

Cheers,

Luc

In addition to a restrictive smoking policy, we should let Miami office know we all want a restictive Muzac Policy! Keep the Muzak in the elevators only....we live in a society of noise pollution...we should have a noise pollution free vacation venue!

I don't even need it in the elevators. What every happened to peace and quiet??? It seems that the rights of people who want to make noise has become more important that the rights of those of us who prefer quiet.

I suppose one of these days X - Miami- Headquaters will listen- STOP THAT ANOYING MUSIC EVERYWHERE!

One poster mentioned that we are living in a loud time- very very right. Silence and that´s what´s cruising is all about in my opinion- is very comforting and takes out stress. So maybe if enough people complain about this loud music they will turn it down. That is always my number one point in my comment card. Sometimes I think they are joke...! Well we will see.

Michael

Since we'll be on the Constellation soon, I emailed my concerns with a link to this thread to the Captain's Club asking them to advise the those in a position of authority of the problem. Perhaps if others did the same something might be done. Please hurry as we'll be aboard in less than a month and I hate loud music, unless it is bluegrass or perhaps classical :)

Well, I am poised to cancel my Solstice cruise in September based on the numerous threads I have seen regarding the noise pollution on Celebrity ships. Noise is something I do not tolerate.

I had a most wonderful land based vacation in Tucson at the Loews Ventana Canyon - ate in outstanding restaurants and had service well above Celebrity in a venue with quiet gracious service.

Celebrity you are about to lose a customer who has sailed since 1989 - your continous rush to lower your standards is something I do not need to tolerate - there are alternatives for my consumer $

By all means embrace the young first time cruiser - good luck to you.

Your assignment of Connie to 4 and 5 day cruises speaks volumes to me about Celebrity priorities.

This thread is just another example of the eroding of a formerly great cruise line that had a distinguished product offering

A safe and happy cruising to all

ABoatNerd

Guess we were fortunate on our TA on the Connie last May, that this new noisy, constant music policy (except for the theatre) wasn't in effect.

As a person who has lost part of her hearing, the excess noise levels continue to do damage, even when the original cause wasn't loud noise. This will effect all, even 20 yr olds. (Many are coming back from Iraq & Afghanistan with their hearing ruined from loud noises such as bombs & gunfire.)

I have been a member of the Hearing Loss Association of America (chapters all over the US) www.hearingloss.org for some time now. And we are fairly educated on hearing issues.

The reason "Miami" may want loud music going is the same as many other restaurants and bars today - loud music has been proven in studies to turn tables over faster and encourage faster drinking. Can't do to linger over a drink after dinner and chat even if you move away from the dining room to one of the bar areas it seems!

As has been noted, when the music is louder, then everything becomes louder as people speak louder to hear. Many of us, as has been expressed, are on a cruise to relax and decompress from the excessive noise pollution in our lives. Our bodies instinctively recognize that this is harmful, and we often react by becoming more irritable as we try to cope.

And if someone in authority tells me it is the policy of "Miami," I will not be shy in telling them that constant loud Muzak was NOT listed as an amenity or policy prior to the cruise.

Celebrity and other lines are deliberately affecting the hearing health of their passengers & crew if this is a new policy. One in five teens to centenarians has a hearing loss!

I know many people locally in the HLAA Chapter who certainly have the funds to cruise, but after one cruise, refuse to go again because of the noise levels. (This is true from Carnival to Chrystal) We refuse to go to restaurants which play loud "music" and tell them why.

At the same time, those of us with a hearing loss have the responsibility to seek audiology tests from licensed audiologists and have our hearing amplified if that is possible, rather than adding to the noise level by forcing people to shout at us. The sooner the better, because certain ear nerves loose their ability to work with aids if not stimulated.

I know I will contact Celebrity about this issue, as we were looking forward to booking with them again.

Totally agree, noise levels are excessive particularly in Solstice class ships. I wonder if it is to make the ship appear more lively to attract a younger crowd! Anyway, I find the lack of quiet lounges or places to have a quiet read in a luxurious armchair on these ships to be a major failing, it is soooooo annoying to settle down, become engrossed in a book and to have my serenity disturbed by some activity starting up in the atrium or other venues. Believe me, I have searched the ship for somewhere relaxing to enjoy the beautiful surroundings and enjoy a quiet read but have yet to find such a place on Solstice class, so if you have found one please let me know?

Guess we will have to start taking our Noise Cancelling Headphones on future cruises . Hank

Well, that's one option, which might work until you don't need them because you are almost totally deaf!

I count among the benefits of being partially deaf, being able to turn off my aids when I am near the screaming, over-tired kid in the grocery store. Then on one plane flight I was able to turn off, while my DH had to listen to 2 obnoxious drunks in the seats behind us for hours.

If you don't want to be on a jury, it's a good way to get out of it, with a letter from your audiologist.

^^^^^^^^^^^

How many times do we read on these boards (of any line) of the pleasures of being able to listen to the sounds of the sea, as the boat moves through the water? Those of us who love the oceans often look for cruises with many sea days, and treasure time being on the water.

Anyone who has started to loose their hearing, will tell you it's not just volume, but clarity which is affected. You end up being exhausted trying to comprehend what is being said because all the sounds run together; your brain can't cope. The ability to filter background noises out (such as Muzak, other conversations around you) goes to zilch.

Appreciate and guard your hearing! Because 3 out of 5 over 60 will loose at least some of their hearing. The odds go up the older you are.

Am sorry but I do not understand the problem.

If we have a problem with a cruise line we simply move on to another cruise line.

Why would someone go back for what they already know is an inferior product?

When people vote with their money merchants listen.

On our most recent cruise to hawaii, The music in the Martini bar (at 7pm) was extremely loud and defnitely was "club' music.......the same as we experienced on the Eclipse. The bartenter can turn down the volume but he does not control the type of music played. If they want to do this after 10pm when the "clubbers" are out fine, but botton line....whoever at Celebrity HQ in Miami is dictating the type and level of music is out of touch with its clientel!

[quote name='Steamboatin']Am sorry but I do not understand the problem.

If we have a problem with a cruise line we simply move on to another cruise line.

Why would someone go back for what they already know is an inferior product?

When people vote with their money merchants listen.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]I think that you are misunderstanding the comments that people are making. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]No one has said that they felt Celebrity was an inferior product. They would just like the music turned down.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]I am sure that you could also find some things wrong on HAL if you looked close enough.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='DougYWG']We just got off the Constellation trans-Atlantic. Lovely cruise, wonderful food, terrific staff, had a great time. The one thing that bothered us was the muzak. It was everywhere, too loud and inappropriate. Item:

- in the computer room. People are trying to focus on the internet
- four of us had a drink in the Martini bar. It was so loud, we could not hear each other. We asked the barman to turn it down and he did.
- we like to have a quiet read on deck four on the loungers. We don't need speakers above us but there they are.
- the music in MDR one night sounded like a Star Wars dog fight with electronic guns being fired at us.
- the Tuscan Grill fine dining had music for deaf teenagers. Why not silence? O.K. then, maybe Pavarotti or Andrea Bocelli?

Are we the only ones who found this irritating? Are all the ships like this?[/quote]

Try going on the Queen Mary 2, dead silence everywhere, everyday, all day unless they had a live performance scheduled. Which is why you will never see me on Cunard again! I love the background music, found it to be very relaxing!

I just listened to my own music with headphones which effectively drowned out the ship music as well as talking/noise from other passengers while reading in the "quiet" places on board.

The martini bar is definitely attempting to be a club atmosphere and not a place to linger over a drink.

[quote name='Hlitner']Guess we will have to start taking our Noise Cancelling Headphones on future cruises :).

Hank[/quote]

Why not ask the bartender to turn the music down?

Why not ask at the Guest Relations desk or interrupt the Cruise Director, Hotel Manager, or the Captain?

It seems we often complain on the survey after the cruise rather than seeking resolution on the spot.

Maris

Someday they will listen and turn that anoying music down. No need to stop it completley- just a bit more subdued. Well as for Cunard´s QM2 - the only ship I sailed of this line- i loved the ship not so much the service, food, etc. and they charge considerably more than X does- so I stick with X-- and hope for the best. LOL
Michael

[quote name='dmk'][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]I think that you are misunderstanding the comments that people are making. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]No one has said that they felt Celebrity was an inferior product. They would just like the music turned down.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]I am sure that you could also find some things wrong on HAL if you looked close enough.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

HAL? Argh! We also like that line but sometimes feel the need for a gas mask to deal with the cigarette smoke :)

Hank

Well after all I have two X- cruises booked both on board Solstice Class ships. I wait and see if the music turns ( down) for the better. If i do not stick with X - my next choice would also be to give HAL a try. The big plus they have is their prommenade decks- wrap around- as is should be.
So maybe these are my last two cruises with X. Money talks..!
Michael

• 3 weeks later...
So for contrast, we just came off Freedom of the Seas.

Portofino was excellent and the background music was subdued and appropriate i.e. Italian.

The main dining room had live music, a violin duo or guitarist for example. Very nice.

There was no music in the library or computer room.

Royal Caribbean have got it right. Celebrity, are you listening?

Archived