Muzak on Constellation - very irritating

DougYWG

We just got off the Constellation trans-Atlantic. Lovely cruise, wonderful food, terrific staff, had a great time. The one thing that bothered us was the muzak. It was everywhere, too loud and inappropriate. Item:

- in the computer room. People are trying to focus on the internet

- four of us had a drink in the Martini bar. It was so loud, we could not hear each other. We asked the barman to turn it down and he did.

- we like to have a quiet read on deck four on the loungers. We don't need speakers above us but there they are.

- the music in MDR one night sounded like a Star Wars dog fight with electronic guns being fired at us.

- the Tuscan Grill fine dining had music for deaf teenagers. Why not silence? O.K. then, maybe Pavarotti or Andrea Bocelli?

Are we the only ones who found this irritating? Are all the ships like this?

We just got off the Constellation trans-Atlantic. Lovely cruise, wonderful food, terrific staff, had a great time. The one thing that bothered us was the muzak. It was everywhere, too loud and inappropriate. Item:

- four of us had a drink in the Martini bar. It was so loud, we could not hear each other. We asked the barman to turn it down and he did.

- we like to have a quiet read on deck four on the loungers. We don't need speakers above us but there they are.

- the music in MDR one night sounded like a Star Wars dog fight with electronic guns being fired at us.

- the Tuscan Grill fine dining had music for deaf teenagers. Why not silence? O.K. then, maybe Pavarotti or Andrea Bocelli?

uhh... That is probably the coolest thing ever. Music can be irritating in some places. I can agree with you to a point, but there is always your balcony to lounge on? (assuming you had one)

We did not notice any music being too loud at any of the venues you mentioned. One day at the pool, the canned music came out really loud, but the toned it down right away. The one thing we had a problem, was hearing and understanding what the Captain was saying during his daily updates. It was a wonderful cruise...! Will post a review at a later date....

• 4 weeks later...

Could not agree more.

As cruise lines move further and further into extra charge items (dining venues, bottled water, etc.), I fear the day is coming when we will see a cover charge for any and all live entertainment.

Think it can't happen? Several years ago the thought of extra-charge dining would have been obscene. But today, it is commonplace.

The baseline fares might be holding a line. But the added costs to enjoy what used to be part-and-parcel are sneaking up on passengers with alarming regularity. Some pay-per-bite dining facilities are now as high as $40/pp - rivaling (if not higher) than similar caliber eateries on land.

Kind of like the airlines some of which require purchase via a credit/debit card for a lousy glass of water.

We sailed in our first interior cabin on Infinity in September. We usually go balcony but this was all that was available for a last minute get away. I had trouble finding a quiet place to read other than in our tiny room. Even the library had musak. I mentioned it at guest relations and was told there should not be music piped into the library and he would look into it. It was always on, the whole cruise. I did find it annoying. I need my quiet place so we will stick to the balcony cabins (I'm a bit claustrophobic) so I can have my sofa and quiet place to read.

Thank you for posting about the loud muzak.

The Equinox had unbearabe loud music in the Grand Foyer area. The S-Class ships have a very limited "promenade" which is usually quiet. We hestitate to book another S-Class ship due to the noise factor. Even the Persian Garden had music. The library vibrated from early evening.

DH does not like to sit on the balcony. I prefer a choice with some quiet public space.

On Millie this fall, we did not have a problem with over amplification but the food and service were lacking. Fortunately, M-Class ships have a long promenade. Since you've posted about the loud muzak, we will not book the Constellation for February.

We wonder if the music is loud to keep the overworked staff awake.

Maybe it is set too loud early in the day so that it will be heard over the crowds who enjoy the open decks and indoor public space at various times during the day.

We are interested in the b2b Reflection cruise including the TA; but we hesitate due to the ship design with the Grand Foyer area blasting too much sound.

I'm interested in why Celebrity and other lines want to chase away the passenger who wants some quiet space. Perhaps, it's to make a quiet area available at extra charge.

Marisela

I would be upset too to have music played in certain venues. Do you think a talk with the cruise direstor or hotel manager might have helped? i have found that they can be very accomodating.

Several years ago the thought of extra-charge dining would have been obscene. But today, it is commonplace.

The baseline fares might be holding a line. But the added costs to enjoy what used to be part-and-parcel are sneaking up on passengers with alarming regularity. Some pay-per-bite dining facilities are now as high as $40/pp - rivaling (if not higher) than similar caliber eateries on land.

Your argument would have some validity if the no cost venues had been eliminated. Several years ago there were only a few places to dine - the MDR, the buffet and the pool grill. Now there are ADDITIONAL places to dine. Even though extra cost dining options have been added, meals are still included in the buffet, MDR and pool grills. Non of the extra cost dining has taken that away. They have only added additional options for those who want to make use of them. Not unlike offering extra cost excursions for those that want to take them, while exploring on your own is still free like it's always been. I tire of these endless "we're being ripped off" comments.

DougYWG,

I could not agree with you more. On my last 3 cruises, Infinity and 2 on Summit, the music? was very loud and sometimes very inappropriate. Your reference to

"star wars" was excellent. Imagine sitting in the dining room having a lovely dinner and suddenly THIS is piped in. My husband and I just looked at each other and shook our heads.

Those of you who have met me know I have a difficult time really criticizing Celebrity's on board experience. I have cruised with them many times, and truly do love the product. But what I am seeing now is that they are catering to a younger passenger who they seem to think needs loud music everywhere at all times. I am in my 60's and I know I am not who Celebrity is interested in pleasing anymore. But are they right? Those of you who are not "old fogies" yet, is this what you are looking for? If not, please let them know. You are the ones they are trying to please.

Thanks for saying something I have been thinking for weeks now.

Anne

In general I have not found this too much of a problem on Celebrity, although I understand the comment about not being able to find a nice quiet place to read - there is always some kind of music piped in everywhere. I hope it is not a trend.

On my last RCI cruise, I swore off that line in the forseeable future for two reasons - one, the smoke on balconies (please let's not go into that on this thread) and two, the loud noise everywhere. I couldn't STAND it. We had a room close enough to the middle of the ship such that we heard the foyer music pounding away every single night until close to midnight. Everywhere we went - noise, noise, noise - and all of the music very, very loud. It was horrid.

I understand there will (and should) be venues with music rocking out - but please, let's keep the loud music confined there. And for heavens sake, let's make sure that the areas of the ship where you want to go for a little bit of quiet, peace and relaxation are QUIET. Is it too much to ask:confused: Most people like Celebrity for its atmosphere of class and elegance. Loud Muzak everywhere you go does not fit that description IMHO.

I would say that all ships are not like that or my wife and I have a different tolerance level because it has never been a problem for us. I also do not recall an excess amount of speakers.

Just to back up what some of you have said - we got a comment card half way through the cruise. We submitted it with a complaint about the loud music everywhere. I had a perfectly civil and reasonable conversation with the customer service desk. We later got a call from one of the ship's senior people. The message was 'we don't have a choice, Miami makes us do it'. If that is the case, Miami needs to re-think. Ship's officers should surely have some discretion. Out of curiosity, is there any case on record of somebody asking for the muzak to be turned up?

Just to back up what some of you have said - we got a comment card half way through the cruise. We submitted it with a complaint about the loud music everywhere. I had a perfectly civil and reasonable conversation with the customer service desk. We later got a call from one of the ship's senior people. The message was 'we don't have a choice, Miami makes us do it'. If that is the case, Miami needs to re-think. Ship's officers should surely have some discretion. Out of curiosity, is there any case on record of somebody asking for the muzak to be turned up?

Maybe somebody needs to pipe some Muzak into Miami at high volume until they come to their senses.

Count me as another person who values QUIET!

Oh, and in cast Miami is reading, I don't go to the shows either. They're TOO LOUD. I have mentioned this on several comment cards. Guess I'll have to start mentioning the Muzak as well.

We've given up even trying to attend the shows because they're so loud. Back in 02 on the Galaxy, they even insisted on amplifying what was promoted as a special afternoon classical piano concert - I went back to the booth and yelled at the techie until he cut it down - for which I was thanked by the pianist.

I took a sound level meter on our Mercury cruise last winter and the normal sound level was in the dangerous level - with the CD's cheers at the end of each piece going up into painful levels. I sent a letter to Hanrahan and got a response from someone telling me they would look into it. Right.

One evening on our June Summit sailing we were looking for a place to sit and listen to some music after the string trio called it a night. So we checked out Michael's - the guitarist might have been good - but was amped like a rock concert so we stayed away.

We'd love to sit in a lounge, order drinks, listen to music, and socialize, but I guess it's not going to happen on Celebrity any more. We did enjoy the atrium piano bar on the Caribbean Princess in 08 - I wonder if they still do that?

j

Its not just MUZAK. We love the Solstice Class design, but there is at least one major flaw in the concept. Celebrity uses the lower level of the main atrium as a focal point for lots of different activities and entertainment. There is often some type of music blasting in the atrium whether it is a band, piped in music for dance classes, etc. This music (or noise) fills the entire atrium and creates noise in "quiet" places like the library and Hideaway. The Hideaway is supposed to be a quiet venue where you can "hideaway" from the hustle and bustle of the ship, sit in a comfy chair, and relax. This is difficult when you have music blasting through the atrium.

Hank

The "background" music in the relaxation lounge of the Equinox was too loud to stay in the background and it was a very annoying, repeating tune as well.

I asked the receptionist to turn it down a bit, got a strange look, but she complied. However, after about 1/2 hour it was back to original strength.

I do not understand why there even has to be music in venues like relaxation room, library, persian gardens, steam rooms, etc. I do not need music to relax, on the contrary, lots of those tunes really get on my nerves.

Fully agree with previous posts : the music and signing in the main theatre is way too loud. I have started to take some earplugs along and use them.

Archived