Do you remember what was offered on your cruise that first day at the Buffet?

serene56

If it's out routinely, it's only at one station instead of both sides like it used to be long ago. I ask around, and still have had trouble finding it. So I end up asking a server who is stationed where the other sliced fruit is, and they end up going in back to slice some up for me. Not readily available anymore.

Well Bummer! I will seek it out though - cause gotta have my pineapple on cruises. Either that or get fru fru drinks that have it and plead for extra fru;).

Since my first cruise was in 1980 on Sitmar (back when a cruise was unique), I have absolutely no idea what I ate.

Now, if you are speaking of Carnival, that was 1985 on the Carnivale, and still have no idea.

But back then, I probably grabbed a drink before I grabbed food. Today, I have to eat first..LOL!

We haven't been on Carnival for a few years, do they still open the dining room for lunch on boarding day?

On most of our crusies we usually we head right for the dining room when we board - not many people know it is open. --and the staff like to herd you to the lido deck.

I can't believe this is three pages long and no one has mentioned what the primary choice is on the Lido buffet on Embarkation.

It's Roast Beef.

Always has been, probably always will be. Lot's of other items, but that's the main carving station item!

We haven't been on Carnival for a few years, do they still open the dining room for lunch on boarding day?

On most of our crusies we usually we head right for the dining room when we board - not many people know it is open. --and the staff like to herd you to the lido deck.

Not open.

As far as I know, HAL is the only line that opens the MDR for lunch on embarkation day, and only for a few hours & for past cruisers. We did that last year & it was so pleasant to sit & relax. By the time we were done, the cabins were open & they made the announcement.

To be perfectly honest, I don't even remember seeing a buffet. Let alone what was on it. Sailed my very first cruise on Mardi Gras, way back in 89. Did they have a buffet back then? They must have, but I just don't remember one. I do remember eating in the MDR, and loving it. I also remember a huge midnight buffet, but was still so full from dinner, couldn't eat anything. Cruising has come a long long way from the Mardi Gras, that's for sure.

carnival dining room is opened for lunch on sea days only

On my very first cruise, I don't think we ate in the buffet once. DS was just 7 and so enamored of the MDR (this was back when you had the same table assignment for breakfast, lunch & dinner) and wanted to have every single meal there. He loved the setting. I really did want to just do a quick lido lunch a couple times but it mattered so much to the little man.

You were so excited. You waited patiently for your turn to get to ding your card that very first time.

Then you headed to the Lido Buffet.

What did you eat? what was offered?

Lol...actually cant remember what was offered on the main part of the

buffet, but as I am a creature of habit mostly, do remember the salad bar offerings of most of my cruises. I always go for the salad bar when I board the ship, usually by noon. Lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, olives, cheese, croutons, and salad dressing. Also, sometimes a little potato or pasta salad on the side, and oh yes beets too. That is my usual fare at the buffet upon boarding. Do this often for lunch too during the rest of the cruise. I love salad bar, and I know that it is not low cal, but I dont care...Im on a cruise ship.:D

As far as I know, HAL is the only line that opens the MDR for lunch on embarkation day, and only for a few hours & for past cruisers. We did that last year & it was so pleasant to sit & relax. By the time we were done, the cabins were open & they made the announcement.

NCL has one of the MDRs open in embarkation day, just FYI :) And, it's open to everyone.

It's interesting to hear that folks make a distinction between the Lido buffet and the places like the deli or the pizza place. To ME these are all just different stations at the Lido buffet!!

The area is more like a mini food court than a traditional buffet. There are separate lines for each food court station.

I couldn't agree more, I love the food court on the Spirit! :)

Thanks, for the MDR info. Our last few cruises have been on HAL and Norwegian snd we always go to the main dining room- very quiet. I always find the buffet on the first day pretty hectic, but who cares- I can't wait for that day to arrive. 3 months from today.

Thanks, for the MDR info. Our last few cruises have been on HAL and Norwegian snd we always go to the main dining room- very quiet. I always find the buffet on the first day pretty hectic, but who cares- I can't wait for that day to arrive. 3 months from today.

That last morning is probably the only time we hit the MDR for breakfast.

Seems everyone on the ship is trying to eat breakfast before they get off the ship- EVERYone is at the buffet-- but the MDR is ultra quiet. More relaxing.

Archived