Popcorn the enemy?

Ms. T

Ok, so I'm eating popcorn last night watching tv and thinking about my first upcoming cruise this weekend. :D threw a handful of popcorn in my mouth and POP! Broke my tooth. Thankfully no pain, but a broken tooth. Called the dentist this morning, told him it's an emergency I have a broken tooth and going on my first cruise Sunday.

thankfully he told me to come in and he'll fix it so I wouldn't experience any pain while on the cruise. 7 shots of novacaine later, tooth fixed and all I'm feeling now is the tenderness from the shots.

Needless to say, Orajel has claim a spot in my carryon just in case;).

Carnival Pride...HERE I COME!!

Glad you were able to get it fixed.

A few years ago, my wife broke a took at about 5pm on Friday. We were leaving at 8am the next day. Fortunately, she had gone to her dentist for years. He said he would meet her at his office at 7pm and fixed it.

Ok, so I'm eating popcorn last night watching tv and thinking about my first upcoming cruise this weekend. :D threw a handful of popcorn in my mouth and POP! Broke my tooth. Thankfully no pain, but a broken tooth. Called the dentist this morning, told him it's an emergency I have a broken tooth and going on my first cruise Sunday.

thankfully he told me to come in and he'll fix it so I wouldn't experience any pain while on the cruise. 7 shots of novacaine later, tooth fixed and all I'm feeling now is the tenderness from the shots.

Have a great cruise, and stay away from the popcorn.:)

The same sort of thing happened to me one day before a 30 day cruise on the Masdam. Even worse, I live in Las Vegas and the problem occurred on Cape Cod. I got a wonderful dentist to take care of it on the same day and we cruised.

DON

As far as I know they do not have facilities for dental work.

My mum had a problem with her plantates (screwed in pillars in jaw to hold a dental plate on), one was loose and she could not eat.

The ships doctor tried to help, but did not have any dental tools, plus he needed a miniscule type of screwdriver.

Apparently he had the mechanics on the ship searching for anything like that. Took two days to find this tiny, tiny tool.

The doctor managed to tighthened it a little bit and although my Mum had still a problem with her dentures, she was able to eat soft food for the rest of the cruise.

It was great that they tried to help her out, also we were not charged for the several visits that she had.

This was on the Dawn Princess last year.

Now this brings up a question I've never thought about: can the ships medical staff deal with a problem like this at sea? Anyone have any knowledge and/or experience with this?

Multiple DOD's are a good replacement for Orajel, if required ;)

Bon Voyage!

:confused:

What is 'multiple DOD's' ?

:confused:

What is 'multiple DOD's' ?

multiple drink of the day's.

Glad you got it fixed. I thoroughly believe *knock on wood* that Murphy's law dictates that something wacky will come up before any planned vacation. It's bit me before our last 2 vacations as well. (No pun intended)

My cousin is married to a dentist (who loves to cruise). He has hired himself out several times. The deal he gets is that his family cruises for free with him and he is on board as the crew's dentist. He does cleanings and check-ups for the crew as well as simple treatment. If a passenger happens to have a problem, he will service them and charge accordingly.

My understanding is that every cruise doesn't have a dentist, but the lines make sure one is available several times a year to service their crew.

If something can go wrong it will....on the first day of our cruise to Aruba I was eating an ice cream cone and suddenly realized the front tooth in my partial was missing. No problem one might say....just superglue it back in. Except...., I swallowed the tooth. I was in tears, unconsolable, distraught :(

I finally dragged my "bubba look" out of the cabin and was walking around the ship and saw a veteran in a wheelchair with no legs. It put everything into perspective and I realized that, although it sure wouldn't be my choice to be on a fantastic cruise to Aruba ninus a front tooth, I was still fortunate

If something can go wrong it will....on the first day of our cruise to Aruba I was eating an ice cream cone and suddenly realized the front tooth in my partial was missing. No problem one might say....just superglue it back in. Except...., I swallowed the tooth. I was in tears, unconsolable, distraught :(

I finally dragged my "bubba look" out of the cabin and was walking around the ship and saw a veteran in a wheelchair with no legs. It put everything into perspective and I realized that, although it sure wouldn't be my choice to be on a fantastic cruise to Aruba ninus a front tooth, I was still fortunate

I hope you found the tooth! ;)

Glad you were able to have it taken care of. I'll add popcorn to my list of precautions that I'm taking to try to prevent any mishaps before my trip...lol I'll be boarding the Pride the day you disembark..take good care of her for me. :p Have a wonderful time!

Did the Dentist give you a temp crown? If so, I highly siggest hitting up a drugstore and getting a cheap dental repair kit that will allow you to secure the crown should it come loose.

Good idea - I'd forgotten that the temporary I had years ago while waiting for the permanent one fell off about 5 times.

I was eating a slice of pizza the day I cracked a tooth. :rolleyes: You'd think it would be something hard or crunchy.

Archived