Smuggling Booze

molly82400

Sorry for the repeat question, but I'm too lazy to scroll the board through find my answer. Cruised a few times in the past, and know all about the alcholol policy (excluding CC.) Anyone have any tips on how to get it on board? Vodka in water bottle, juice botttle, etc etc etc? Last cruise on carnival, I had 4 bottles of Wine in my carryon bag, and was not even questioned. If I remember correctley, you were only allowed 1 per passenger. I also thought that the people screening, did not work for the cruise line, but the terminal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

It is impossible to successfully smuggle hootch onto a cruise ship.

The port and ship's staff are very diligent at the job of ferretting out the smugglers and everyone who tries is caught and then must suffer the taunts of the staff.

It is best to not try it. :o

1) Put it in checked bag put in large ziplock bags and or wrap clothes/towel around it.

2) Some say rum runners - yes they are seen in xray if the person is actually paying attention which isn't always the case.

3) While some others may risk having it in carry-on and pray. - For the lines that don't actually allow anything. Some will allow wine without question.

Doing either of the first 2 I'd say you have a 80% chance of getting it onboard more so if the port is really busy at the time you hand your bags over.

No I've never smuggled anything onto a ship;):p

What cruise line are you wanting to know about? They all differ.

We cruise with Princess and have never had to resort to smuggling anything. If I were cruising a line such as RCI I wouldn't even want to smuggle anything ...that said I think RCI has a pretty good wine package?.

We carry on 4-6 bottles of wine and usually have 2-3 wrapped carefully in our suitcase. Usually Mr.Qt has a bottle of Bombay Sapphire wrapped carefully in his checked suitcase, along with some tonic water, as well. It is always well wrapped and placed in a position that the cruise staff can see it and if they want to take it (the Sapphire) away till the end of the cruise they can.....9 cruises so far and that has never happened. If it does so be it.

Some of it comes back to Canada with us and some is consumed in our stateroom or on our balcony.

I also swear by the rum runners. I have read a very few reports on CC where the rum runners were found. I believe the cruise line was NCL or RCI. On Princess you can bring your wine aboard without any problem and have heard of pax bringing beer as well. I have had a 100% success rate on all my cruises so far.

On Carnival, if the smuggled booze is found, and not in the originally never-opened factory bottle, everything gets thrown away. Including the rum-runners.

I was caught for the first time in Oct. They threw away the partial bottle, but I could claim the full, never-opened bottle. Since I couldn't get it till breakfast on leaving-day, I gave it to my favorite waiter from the dining room. He was pleased.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't see why there is a "need" to smuggle. I simply place my bottles wrapped up in my jeans, placed in the middle of my rolling duffle. This keeps my bottles secure during my flight as well as the bags being loaded onto the ship.

The same scenario applys packing to go home - assuming there's anything left by the time the cruise is over.

No smuggling needed!

I really don't see why there is a "need" to smuggle. I simply place my bottles wrapped up in my jeans, placed in the middle of my rolling duffle. This keeps my bottles secure during my flight as well as the bags being loaded onto the ship.... No smuggling needed!

Semantics. What do you think "smuggling" means, then, if not what everyone in this thread is talking about? :confused:

Don't know if this will work on cruise, but I used to live and work in Kuwait where liquor is banned. We would buy two pint bottles, put them in the inside pocket of a suit coat and walk right through security.

LOL this made me laugh!! I had no idea wrapping booze bottles in jeans was outside of the definition of smuggling.

I guess the definition of smuggling is bring something that is prohibited. Since bring booze onboard is banned, any attempt to bring it onboard would be considered smuggling no matter where it is placed. I have not heard any cruise line say no liquor unless it is wrapped in jeans.

I guess the definition of smuggling is bring something that is prohibited. Since bring booze onboard is banned, any attempt to bring it onboard would be considered smuggling no matter where it is placed. I have not heard any cruise line say no liquor unless it is wrapped in jeans.

Exactly, thank you, Paul. :)

Archived