Making Cuba a Port of Call

CruiseHealing

It goes a lot further than just the President. I'm always baffled by the influence of the S. Florida Cuban population in this matter. This small cummunity, represented by Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen have a lot of teeth in this matter and for some reason, their influence over DC is very strong.

Interesting, I had typed this in an earlier post then deleted it as I was afraid I was heading down the political road .... but you have hit the nail squarely on the head.

Open to suggestions....... :)

Being old enough to understand some of what was happening back then I will try to give a background.

Remember this is only my opinion and I am sure there are many other issues as well as causes.

Without reference to any parties for the last 50 years, I hope this isn't too political.

-------------------------------------------

Pre-Castro Cuba...

Cuba was a tremendous generator of money from the more than 50,000,000.00 dollars (a lot of money back then) a year in tourist money. American gangsters had free reign running the gambling and prostitution operations. The money was used to buy political influence and invest in other illegal operations both with the corrupt Batista government and back in the U.S.

Castro arrives...(at this point he is a semi-bad guy)

Goodbye to the gangsters, goodbye to the money flowing into the U.S. politicians pockets and campaign coffers. (ouch that must have hurt both the mafia and the politicians).

Not true many claim... But why was the C.I.A. ordered to enlist the mafia in an attempt to assasinate Castro. (would make me angry). In 1961 JFK (remember, his daddy made millions in the shipping industry during the prohibition????? Hmmm???) decided that the C.I.A. should organize an operation whose ultimate goal was the overthrow of Castro and the establishment of a non-communist government friendly to the United States.

With neighbors this unfriendly the Soviets had no trouble becoming big brother to a floundering new government that was only a hop skip and a jump from their current enemy (the U.S) and easily worked their way into the equation.

OMO..., but if the U.S. had used a different tact with Castro there could have been a neighbor (sadly a communist neighbor) just south of Florida, not an enemy. Could be that many of the human rights problems may have been avoided as well.

But no, due to the above reasons we now have Cuba dealing with China, Venezuela; even Iran is making advances.

bosco

As a cuban-american, I personally would never go until Cuba is a free country. My family fought very hard to make it to this country and many people are still dying (literally) to escape the horrible conditions there. We should not be adding money to their economy.

In reference, to the comment that all us "South Florida Cubans are growing old and will die off soon" I am only in my 20s and many others (including my teenage brother, etc.) will never keep quiet about freeing our country.

I had to go political. I apologize. I could not let some of these comments fly by.

I agree there are many beautiful countries with similar beaches that can be cruised to.

As a cuban-american, I personally would never go until Cuba is a free country. My family fought very hard to make it to this country and many people are still dying (literally) to escape the horrible conditions there. We should not be adding money to their economy.

And that is your choice, which is fine. However, it is wrong to enforce that opinion on others. Unlike Cuba, this is a free country. To tell me I may be imprisoned for personal travel to Cuba sounds an awful lot like the dictator down there and it should not be tolerated here. I am also Cuban-American, but I embrace this country's freedoms. It sickens me that people running from that environment (which I also did) have succeeded in creating a similar circumstance here. It's very hypocritical.

Being old enough to understand some of what was happening back then I will try to give a background.

Remember this is only my opinion and I am sure there are many other issues as well as causes.

Without reference to any parties for the last 50 years, I hope this isn't too political.

-------------------------------------------

Pre-Castro Cuba...

Cuba was a tremendous generator of money from the more than 50,000,000.00 dollars (a lot of money back then) a year in tourist money. American gangsters had free reign running the gambling and prostitution operations. The money was used to buy political influence and invest in other illegal operations both with the corrupt Batista government and back in the U.S.

Castro arrives...(at this point he is a semi-bad guy)

Goodbye to the gangsters, goodbye to the money flowing into the U.S. politicians pockets and campaign coffers. (ouch that must have hurt both the mafia and the politicians).

Not true many claim... But why was the C.I.A. ordered to enlist the mafia in an attempt to assasinate Castro. (would make me angry). In 1961 JFK (remember, his daddy made millions in the shipping industry during the prohibition????? Hmmm???) decided that the C.I.A. should organize an operation whose ultimate goal was the overthrow of Castro and the establishment of a non-communist government friendly to the United States.

With neighbors this unfriendly the Soviets had no trouble becoming big brother to a floundering new government that was only a hop skip and a jump from their current enemy (the U.S) and easily worked their way into the equation.

OMO..., but if the U.S. had used a different tact with Castro there could have been a neighbor (sadly a communist neighbor) just south of Florida, not an enemy. Could be that many of the human rights problems may have been avoided as well.

But no, due to the above reasons we now have Cuba dealing with China, Venezuela; even Iran is making advances.

bosco

Thanks.

Just want to add that bit about Russian missles positioned in Cuba and aimed at the U.S." Remember the Russian Missle crisis?

I hope my comment is not taken as political. I mean it only as a statement of U.S. history.

Thanks.

Just want to add that bit about Russian missles positioned in Cuba and aimed at the U.S." Remember the Russian Missle crisis?

I hope my comment is not taken as political. I mean it only as a statement of U.S. history.

I remember it all too well and hope that relations improve enough to prevent anything like that from happening in the future.

bosco

I'd like to port in Havana for two days and see the American vintage cars and see a show at the Copacabana nightclub.

I was lucky enough to be on a cruise to Cuba in May, and did just that, rainbowflag!!!

I was also able to take an excursion out into the countryside, which is just incredible. The food was wonderful, as are the people, and old Habana is beautiful. I was also taken into some of the less beautiful places and saw the poverty the people live in, and the rules they live under. Very, very difficult for someone from Europe to understand the regime, but I would love to return, and hope one day to be able to afford to do so again.

I was lucky enough to be on a cruise to Cuba in May, and did just that, rainbowflag!!!

I was also able to take an excursion out into the countryside, which is just incredible. The food was wonderful, as are the people, and old Habana is beautiful. I was also taken into some of the less beautiful places and saw the poverty the people live in, and the rules they live under. Very, very difficult for someone from Europe to understand the regime, but I would love to return, and hope one day to be able to afford to do so again.

Did you go on a cruise or a land vacation?

Thanks.

And how about the missiles in Turkey aimed at Russia?

Thanks.

The missiles aren't the reason for the embargo. Nov 23, 1963 is.

I see no problem in raising political views relating to cruises not being able to visit Cuba. It is interesting to hear contrasting views from people with Cuban history. Surely we can conduct a simple discussion without anyone taking offence.

The freedom to choose not to travel is as important as the right to visit Cuba. Informed choice through information and debate is the best way.

Aside from stopping bribes and other payments to corrupt politicians/organised crime in Cuba and US, which I'm finding it hard to condemn....it is hard to understand what were the reasons for the sanctions in the first instance.

What did they do apart from exercise freedom to run their country in a way different from the US.

I see no problem in raising political views relating to cruises not being able to visit Cuba. It is interesting to hear contrasting views from people with Cuban history. Surely we can conduct a simple discussion without anyone taking offence.

The freedom to choose not to travel is as important as the right to visit Cuba. Informed choice through information and debate is the best way.

Aside from stopping bribes and other payments to corrupt politicians/organised crime in Cuba and US, which I'm finding it hard to condemn....it is hard to understand what were the reasons for the sanctions in the first instance.

What did they do apart from exercise freedom to run their country in a way different from the US.

Actually, I think that sort of conversation might break CC rules.

A simple search on the net might find you all the info you could want.

See #86.

In reference, to the comment that all us "South Florida Cubans are growing old and will die off soon" I am only in my 20s and many others (including my teenage brother, etc.) will never keep quiet about freeing our country.

I had to go political. I apologize. I could not let some of these comments fly by.

I agree there are many beautiful countries with similar beaches that can be cruised to.

I am also of Cuban decent. My mother came to the US in October of '59 when she was a teenager. She and her family had their property and money stolen from them by the Castro regime. My family came here with next to nothing. My grandfather had 6 kids and had to completely start over in his middle-aged years. He was lucky enough to be a surgeon with ties in the States and a command of English. It is very easy for those who lost nothing from this horrible 50+ year regime to have opinions about travel to Cuba.

However, I see both sides of the argument. I believe in our constitution and the freedom that we are granted as American citizens. I do not want to keep anyone from visiting Cuba if it becomes legal. I truly long to see the place of my mother's birth. However, I will not spend one dime of my money in Cuba as long as the current regime keeps oppressing it's people. Much of the money from tourism is funneled directly into Raul's pockets. Precious little makes it to those in need.

Everyone should make their own decision about this issue. It is just very personal for many Americans of Cuban origin such as myself. I think that those who truly understand the continued brutality and oppression that is still happening in Cuba, may think twice about visiting.

Yes there are other islands to visit, but some people visit the islands for the culture, not just for the beaches. And every culture is different :D

I agree completely! I've been to most of the major islands in the Caribbean, and to me, the culture and the people are what make each unique. DH and I both grew up in beach communities, and have always lived near the water, so traveling just to see a new beach doesn't appeal to us all that much. However, traveling to new places to experience different cultures and meet new people is very appealing.

We have both wanted to visit Cuba for many years, but haven't gone because of the various restrictions. I think an overnight cruise stop would be a perfect introduction to the country. I would be willing to pay a premium, but then, I'd be willing to pay a premium to visit any country that I'm very interested in seeing.

What stops us is it is against the law for us to visit Cuba in that way. We didn't make the law but we do have to follow it.

Well, there are a number of your fellow citizens who don't follow the law. In the past when I've flown to Cuba I have met numerous Americans on the flight from Vancouver who didn't worry about breaking the law. They drive up from the U.S. and fly from here. When they land in Cuba, the authorities don't stamp their passport, just a blank slip of paper which is removed when they depart. There's no record in their passport of their visit to Cuba - it just looks like they were in Canada for the week.

I can tell you from personal experience that the general Cuban population would welcome American tourists with open arms. It's a beautiful, unspoiled country with a proud culture, I enjoy visiting there immensely.

• 1 year later...
I am also of Cuban decent. My mother came to the US in October of '59 when she was a teenager. She and her family had their property and money stolen from them by the Castro regime. My family came here with next to nothing. My grandfather had 6 kids and had to completely start over in his middle-aged years. He was lucky enough to be a surgeon with ties in the States and a command of English. It is very easy for those who lost nothing from this horrible 50+ year regime to have opinions about travel to Cuba.

However, I see both sides of the argument. I believe in our constitution and the freedom that we are granted as American citizens. I do not want to keep anyone from visiting Cuba if it becomes legal. I truly long to see the place of my mother's birth. However, I will not spend one dime of my money in Cuba as long as the current regime keeps oppressing it's people. Much of the money from tourism is funneled directly into Raul's pockets. Precious little makes it to those in need.

Everyone should make their own decision about this issue. It is just very personal for many Americans of Cuban origin such as myself. I think that those who truly understand the continued brutality and oppression that is still happening in Cuba, may think twice about visiting.

Couldn't have said it any better, my sentiments are the same. Hope some day to be able to visit a Free Cuba and take my kids and grandchildren. My grandparents were from Cuba also.

This is an old thread resurrected, but I am happy to say yes, yes, yes I would sign up for a land or cruise stop in Cuba. It is not possible to even say Cuba without political connotations, so let's dispense with that nonsense to begin.

It's a current topic with the immigration debate and the favor granted to the Miami Cubans and the whole economic sanctions thing. Time to end the insane political prohibition on free travel for US citizens. Talk of freedom by the Cuban expatriates makes me laugh at the hypocrisy of it.

Couldn't have said it any better, my sentiments are the same. Hope some day to be able to visit a Free Cuba and take my kids and grandchildren. My grandparents were from Cuba also.

Thanks. I hope that the day that Cuba is free is sooner rather than later.

This is an old thread resurrected, but I am happy to say yes, yes, yes I would sign up for a land or cruise stop in Cuba. It is not possible to even say Cuba without political connotations, so let's dispense with that nonsense to begin.

It's a current topic with the immigration debate and the favor granted to the Miami Cubans and the whole economic sanctions thing. Time to end the insane political prohibition on free travel for US citizens. Talk of freedom by the Cuban expatriates makes me laugh at the hypocrisy of it.

When the brothers are dead, it will happen and it will happen very quickly. It won't happen until then.

Archived