"Pink" Sand Beaches

kingoftheicedragons

The one thing my wife really wants to do in Barbados more than anything else is go and see one of the "pink" beaches. I know Crane Beach has this feature, but from what I understand, it may not be that easy to get to Crane Beach in the time the ship is in port. Are there any other beaches with pink sands that private tours go to (or that Carnival would offer on one of their tours)?

I appreciate any info. thanks.

IMG_2675.JPG

Rockley Beach/Accra as it's known to us locals

is a lot closer than Crane, and is publicly accessible with zero probs.

Accra-673.jpg

"Pink Sand" shows up best when wet or moist as the waves run back out.

Some days are better than others, probably due to lighting?

Pick up a handful of the stuff, and you'll see it's a mixture of white-sand grains and dark-pink/magenta grains

the latter originating from a delicate calcareous algae that grows in dark sheltered spots in the reef

so please don't expect our South Coast beaches to be radically, obviously-pink.

Accra-679.jpg

I've often found it appears much pinker when I get home and have the photos I've just taken

up on the screen...but that may be due to a certain satiating of the senses while at the beach, where the brain compensates and adjusts.

Accra-42.jpg

I've posted a few photos for you to get some idea what you might/might-not expect to see, OK?

For an immediate comparison in this last photo

please compare the ultra-white of the surf on the way in(at bottom left)

to the pink sand at right, on the beach!

All four pics you see here were taken at Rockley/Accra

on different days, different months, different years

so this is a fair cross-section of visible conditions.

aplmac, what great photos and education on the pink sand beaches on Barbados. ===> You're very welcome!

I'd love to see these beaches the next time I'm in Barbados.

As the OP intimated earlier, Crane has pink sand too

CranePinkSand-830.jpg

See what I mean about when it gets wet?

but it's quite aways out, over the far side of the island (45 mins. by car to get there?)

and access is thru the hotel for a fee..

CraneLunch-50.jpg

or further along the coast via a narrow coastal road and a somewhat treacherous rocky path

unsuitable for anyone not-too-stable on their feet!

CraneHotel-805.jpg

You can see a bit of the pathway I speak of, at bottom right

That's Crane Hotel in the distance, on top the cliff.

I found a shot of another South or S-East coast beach on the island

SilverRock-27.jpg

that has pink sand....Silver Sands --this place is also kite-surfing Mecca in Barbados!

but all in all, Rockley/Accra is by far your nearest and easiest bet

bcoz there's lots of amenities there you guys will want! trust me on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Rockley is great for swimming and has a small reef straight out from Bar Kanei if you want to do some snorkeling. The snorkeling is not bad - you'll definitely see fish, maybe an eel or two and sometimes comb jellies.

Some days the water is calmer than others. On calm days, we'd see hawsksbill turtles at the reef, but only in the mornings.

This is one of our favourite beaches and it's not too far from the docks. If you're adventurous and want to take the bus, there is a stop right there.

Here are some pics:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.472934985680.246435.567405680&type=1&l=7a121683da

Most of my turtle photos were taken at Rockley.

Cheers, P:)

Rockley is great for swimming and has a small reef straight out from Bar Kanei if you want to do some snorkeling. The snorkeling is not bad - you'll definitely see fish, maybe an eel or two and sometimes comb jellies.

Some days the water is calmer than others. On calm days, we'd see hawsksbill turtles at the reef, but only in the mornings.

This is one of our favourite beaches and it's not too far from the docks. If you're adventurous and want to take the bus, there is a stop right there.

Here are some pics:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.472934985680.246435.567405680&type=1&l=7a121683da

Most of my turtle photos were taken at Rockley.

Where do we get the bus to Rockley beach?

We want to go to Berts Bar for lunch, it is at this beach?

Thanks

Lois

Where do we get the bus to Rockley beach?

We want to go to Berts Bar for lunch, it is at this beach?

Thanks

Lois

Catch the bus to Rockley at Fairchild St. terminal

which is right across the other side of town from where the Port is, not the terminal close by!

Berts Bar is nearby but not on the beach at Rockley. Ask locals for Abbeville Hotel -thats where Berts is.

It's about 100 yds East of the Eastern end of Rockley. Good food,there. Do lunch there!

I found a shot of another South or S-East coast beach on the island

SilverRock-27.jpg

that has pink sand....Silver Sands --this place is also kite-surfing Mecca in Barbados!

but all in all, Rockley/Accra is by far your nearest and easiest bet

bcoz there's lots of amenities there you guys will want! trust me on that.

Is this the beach adjacent to the Accra Hotel?

• 2 weeks later...

WOW awesome photos with the turtles!! Are these the turtles you saw early morning at Rockley? I read in another thread that Payne's bay also has turtles..either one better than the other? Possibly close to eachother?

Can't wait to use my underwater disposable camera...brought it on 3 cruises so far and each one forgot to use it!

Yes, most of our turtle photos were taken in the morning at Rockley. We would see them most mornings, but not all the time (especially when the water was a little rougher than usual)...

The larger turtles farther down in my album were Green Turtles at Payne's Bay.

You will likely have a better chance of seeing turtles at Payne's Bay, simply because that's were the catamaran tours go and they're used to being fed there. The water is calmer there too.

Payne's Bay is north of Bridgetown and Rockley is south. While you'd definitely be able to visit both in the same day, I really wouldn't consider them to be "close together".

You're likely looking at 45 mins or more to get from one to the other by cab (even longer by bus).

How far via taxi is Rockley Beach and Accra please? Apprx how much?

We were there two weeks ago, it's a great beach with pink sand. It took about 15 minutes by taxi and it was $7.50 pp one way. Our driver even came back for us at the time we agreed upon.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the info and pics.

We are back and ended up renting a driver and car and going to Crane Beach, and it was definitely worth it.

Ahhh you went to Crane Beach....

How much was the car and driver? How far away was it (45 min?)? Did you access the beach through the hotel or at the free beach access? If the beach access, was the path treacherous? Was it crowded? Are there chairs/umbrellas for rent? Was there a place to get food/drinks (the hotel maybe?)?

Sorry to bombard you :o My husband and I are trying to find a 'off the beaten path' kind of beach to spend the day at when we cruise to Barbados in November.

Ahhh you went to Crane Beach....

How much was the car and driver? How far away was it (45 min?)? Did you access the beach through the hotel or at the free beach access? If the beach access, was the path treacherous? Was it crowded? Are there chairs/umbrellas for rent? Was there a place to get food/drinks (the hotel maybe?)?

Sorry to bombard you :o My husband and I are trying to find a 'off the beaten path' kind of beach to spend the day at when we cruise to Barbados in November.

I am confused-which beach has pink sand?

"My husband and I are trying to find a 'off the beaten path' kind of beach to spend the day at when we cruise to Barbados"

Google 'Foul Bay, Barbados'.

Few people (except on weekends), pink sand, closer than Crane. Solitude. Raw beauty. A 'keeper' beach, indeed.

Archived