Happy hanukah!

cruise kitty

Happy Chanukah! There will be 10 people here tonight to help us celebrate. The brisket was made yesterday and will be sliced while cold and reheated in the gravy.

Though baked latkes are probably healthier, we only eat them twice a year and they definitely have to be fried in nothing other than peanut oil. My "recipe" is potato, onion, egg, salt, pepper and just enough matzo meal for the proper consistency. I grate potatoes in the Cuisinart with the shredder disk, then put the shreds into ice water until all the shredding is done. I put a piece of onion in the Cuisinart with the blade, pulse a little then add a few handfuls of the shreds which I have squeezed dry. Pulse a few times and the consistency if perfect.

Right now I'm cooking chick peas that I soaked last night to make hummas. I'm also listening to Sirius XM's channel 68 "Radio Chanukah" Pandora also has a Chanukah channel.

Chag Sa'maich!

Happy Chanukah! There will be 10 people here tonight to help us celebrate. The brisket was made yesterday and will be sliced while cold and reheated in the gravy.

Though baked latkes are probably healthier, we only eat them twice a year and they definitely have to be fried in nothing other than peanut oil. My "recipe" is potato, onion, egg, salt, pepper and just enough matzo meal for the proper consistency. I grate potatoes in the Cuisinart with the shredder disk, then put the shreds into ice water until all the shredding is done. I put a piece of onion in the Cuisinart with the blade, pulse a little then add a few handfuls of the shreds which I have squeezed dry. Pulse a few times and the consistency if perfect.

Right now I'm cooking chick peas that I soaked last night to make hummas. I'm also listening to Sirius XM's channel 68 "Radio Chanukah" Pandora also has a Chanukah channel.

Chag Sa'maich!

My recipe is much easier. I also do everything in the Cuisinart, use the regular Steel knife, 4 medium potatoes (usually I use Yellow Yukon, couldn't find them this year so used PEI, which are like Idaho. Tasted one, still delicious! One onion in chunks, chopped with potato chunks for about 30 seconds along with 2 eggs. Then add 1/3 c. flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 3/4 tsp salt, freshly ground pepper and process about10 more seconds. I fry them in Canola oil and use about an entire roll of paper towels to drain the oil!!

Why Peanut oil? Does it really change the taste?

I would love a good recipe for baking them. As I said, I tried it once, but nisht gut!

Happy Chanukah from Toronto, Canada. I think I made a record for myself. I made 30 latkes in 1 hr. start to finish. That's getting out the potatoes, peeling, adding in all the other ingredients, heating the oil and frying AND cleaning up. Funny thing, I fried 3 before I realized I forgot the baking powder. Just added to the mixture and continued frying. I can definitely tell the difference. The baking powder makes them fluffy.

Best wishes to all who celebrate and to the rest who don't Happy Holidays. Happy cruising.

You bake them? How do they come out? I fry them. Just finished. If they come out just as good baked' date=' I would much rather bake. Tried it once, but no success.[/quote']

Place on oiled foil on baking sheet @375 for about 12 minutes turn and spray with olive oil for an additional 5-7minutes. They come out perfectly.:D

Place on oiled foil on baking sheet @375 for about 12 minutes turn and spray with olive oil for an additional 5-7minutes. They come out perfectly.:D

Thanks, I'm going to try it.....someone gave me the recipe to oven bake salmon fish cakes - it worked fine too:)

Sue

Fried are the best:D My mom has been gone almost 20 years now

and I can still taste her latkes......she used a hand grater and

the potatoes and onions all got hand grated...omg...she made the

BEST latkes in the world:):(.....they got fried....crispy on the

outside and tender on the inside.

Happy Hannukah to all of you who celebrate.

My recipe is much easier. I also do everything in the Cuisinart' date=' use the regular Steel knife, 4 medium potatoes (usually I use Yellow Yukon, couldn't find them this year so used PE[i']I, which are like Idaho. Tasted one, still delicious! One onion in chunks, chopped with potat[/i]o chunks for about 30 seconds along with 2 eggs. Then add 1/3 c. flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 3/4 tsp salt, freshly ground pepper and process about10 more seconds. I fry them in Canola oil and use about an entire roll of paper towels to drain the oil!!

Why Peanut oil? Does it really change the taste?

I would love a good recipe for baking them. As I said, I tried it once, but nisht gut!

The problem with doing the entire business in the Cuisinart is that the results are very wet and you have to add more flour or matzo meal. By doing the shreds first, I can squeeze out the water. Also, at the bottom of the bowl where the shreds soak, there is always a large amount of potato starch. That means that we are getting some of the carbohydrates out of the potatoes. :)

Peanut oil does give them a better flavor and it will cook at high temperatures. I've tried canola, but not so good. They come out with a more crispy outside with the peanut oil.

I have never used baking powder in latkes. In potatonik (koogle), yes, but latkes??? Always something new to learn. :)

[quote name=

Peanut oil does give them a better flavor and it will cook at high temperatures. I've tried canola' date=' but not so good. They come out with a more crispy outside with the peanut oil.

I have never used baking powder in latkes. In potatonik (koogle), yes, but latkes??? Always something new to learn. :)[/quote]

Agree with the better flavor and peanut oil. Also you can fry hotter without the oil smoking.

Never used flour either, only matzah meal.

Since it is just me now, I don't cook anymore but this thread might get me into the kitchen..........if I can find it.;)

My recipe is from The Peasures of your Processor by Norene Gilletz. The recipe is called "easy polato latkes".

Honestly, I have no problem with the consistency. I have no smoking oil. They come out light & fluffy & crispy on the outside. I have been using this recipe for many years. Next year, if I have peanut oil in the house, I will try that!

The first time I made them was when I was volunteering in my son's Grade one class in his Hebrew Day School. That's the recipe the teacher made with the kids. If Grade one kids could do it, so could I!!!!

P.S. He's a Daddy now!

Happy Hanukkah to all.

I was about to comment on the "baking" of latkes until I read that they are baked in oil - nice.

For a moment I thought we lost the connection to the oil.

We love ours with applesauce. Ummm.:p

Happy Hanukkah to all.

I was about to comment on the "baking" of latkes until I read that they are baked in oil - nice.

I love sour cream and applesauce:D

Happy Hanukkah to all.

I sprinkle sugar on mine!

Our company just left. I started with 7 pounds of russet potatoes thinking I'd have leftovers. Not the case. All but a couple of slices of brisket are gone and every bit of the potato mixture was fried in peanut oil and eaten. We were only 10 people and all of us are over 65. Gezunta appetites!

Lots of wine consumed. Lots of dreidel spinning and lots of good fun. DH is, right now, cleaning up.

All of our company were happy with their evening and the food. I can't ask for more. :D

Our company just left. I started with 7 pounds of russet potatoes thinking I'd have leftovers. Not the case. All but a couple of slices of brisket are gone and every bit of the potato mixture was fried in peanut oil and eaten. We were only 10 people and all of us are over 65. Gezunta appetites!

Lots of wine consumed. Lots of dreidel spinning and lots of good fun. DH is, right now, cleaning up.

All of our company were happy with their evening and the food. I can't ask for more. :D

Sounds wonderful! Love your DH!

Tomorrow morning I am making applesauce!

Archived