Cruise Expectations

Bridge Maven

I've noticed that the people who take numerous cruises a year are much less critical than those who only cruise a few times a year.

I have not noticed any difference. Complaints are similar to talking about the weather; everyone does it. Even though there are criticisms of cruising experiences independent of the number of cruises taken, I believe that those addicted to cruising (like myself) don't take kindly to the alternative of not cruising. We have heard many complaints from self proclaimed frequent cruisers comparing the deficiencies of one cruise to their experience on another cruiseline. Just because an experience is different does not necessarily make it better or worse based on a personal bias.

"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." African Proverb

However frequent cruisers might be more forgiving of certain incidents that probably will not be repeated when they cruise again.

Bridge maven,

I think it has to do with peoples expectation for any vacation. If you plan a cruise or vacation of a lifetime and are not flexible, you will be disappointed.

I have only cruised twice: 2008, 2010 and have one booked for 2012.

I have never been disappointed. but I also travel numerous times in the year for a land vacation, both short and long.

The more you travel, the more you know that even with great research and planning, you need to be ready for the unexpected. Sometimes the unexpected is the best part of a trip.

Being critical of service, food, stateroom is one thing. Letting it ruin your vacation is not worth my energy.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm a frequent cruiser, but here's my take.

I go on a cruise expecting to have a good time. Guess what? I do. I choose not to let small things ruin my cruise. If there is something that is seriously wrong, I let Celebrity know so they can fix it. If they don't know it's broken, they can't fix it. I enjoy cruising on Celebrity and want to continue to do so.

In my view, it serves no useful purpose to complain to everyone around. If there is a problem, talk to someone who can fix it.

I go on a cruise expecting to have a good time. Guess what? I do.

Amen, sistah! If the glass is already half-empty at embarkation, it's tough to enjoy the good stuff without tripping up on the unexpected challenges.

Linda, we had a blast on the Millennium and Rotterdam with you and your sister. In terms of being contagious, smiles and pleasant greetings trump the grump every time.

There are some people who look for imperfections when traveling and will find fault no matter where they go.

Perhaps frequent travelers have less preconceived ideas of the perfect vacation and easily overlook things that may not be perfect, or maybe it is all simply attitude that they are happy to be able to get away.

I have 't been mon a single vacation that was perfect but if you roll with the punches you can have a good time even on a lousy vacation.

I think I am lucky to be able to fravel and think of how many people can't afford to travel and thank my lucky stars for every trip I am able to take, even ifnthere are so e issues along the way.

I've noticed that the people who take numerous cruises a year are much less critical than those who only cruise a few times a year. Do you think it is because when someone only takes a few cruises a year they expect more from each cruise?

I take at least 10 cruises per year. I think that taking many cruises makes me even more critical than the person who only cruises once a year. This is because I know what to expect and have many more cruises to compare the present one to. Someone who has not cruised in a year or more should think "maybe they have changed this perk since the last time I was onboard". When the last time was a month or less ago there is much less chance that it was a change in policy.

Normally on Celebrity it is more a matter of which cruise can exceed our expectations the most :)

I've noticed that the people who take numerous cruises a year are much less critical than those who only cruise a few times a year. Do you think it is because when someone only takes a few cruises a year they expect more from each cruise?

I think you might be on to something here. Maybe those that only cruise once every few years may build up the cruise so much in their minds that anything short of that and it becomes a disappointment and they start complaining. We only cruise once every few year and I am so guilty of building up the cruise in my mind, but I'm also a realist. I know things can and sometimes do go wrong and I have to be prepared to go with the flow. For instance: our last cruise, there was a misty rain in Aruba, but we were still able to go on our TomCar tour and had a blast - despite not getting any sun on my shoulders! In Curacao, however, the rain was coming down in sheets and we made the decision to forego our Jeep tour and eat the cost of the excursion. I was disappointed that I wouldn't get to see the island, but I also didn't want to do a 6 hour tour soaking wet! We did get off the ship and walk across the Queen Emma bridge into town and we did end up getting rained on a little bit - not as much fun, but still a very enjoyable outing. Plus found out when we got back home that the tour was canceled anyway and our money was refunded! Now if I was a glass half-empty person, I could have complained that an island that only gets 3 inches of rain a year shouldn't be getting their annual allotment all in the one day I was there...:);)

Next up - Alaska. I've already planned out some great stuff and I'll be hoping we get lucky in terms of spotting wildlife and seeing McKinley. If not? Oh well - guess we'll just have to keep going back!

People who complain are a breed unto themselves. THey complain about everything.

You will hear the same, exact complaints whether on a Regent luxury cruise in a penthouse or on A NCL inside cabin in the bilge.

I thinlk a lot of first time cruisers complain because they have unrealistic expectations that the cruise lines foster ( ie; a recent post where a carnival passenger boasted they serve steak and lobster every meal and in the buffet too!) Cruise lines too have promoted this immage of regal luxury, service and cuisine , cabins filled with every comfort, entertainment beyond your dreams etc etc.

When the gulible passenger shows up he has his bubble burst. Crowds, pressure to up-sell, nickel and dime stuff. Hey they didnt tell me about this...

I cruise a lot, but no whare near 10 times a year ( good God !) and know pretty much what to expect. If anything cruising more than a few times should prepare repeat cruisers for the reality of crusing and what to expect. I would think the more you do anything the more pragmatic and flexable you become about it. Otherwise its like being a first time cruiser every time!

I take this mind set, that I am aboard to enjoy just being on board and everything else is gravy. I create or have no expectations other than a dry bed a flush toilet and a shower and some sort of warm food.

The more you compare, expect, want, the more potential you have for failing. There is no difference in the level of happiness between the passenger on Carnival or Silver Seas... each is happy in their experience

Thus with this philosophy, I have never ever had a bad cruise or will have a bad cruise...:rolleyes:.

While some see the glass half empty, and others see it as half full, I , Myself and darn happy to just have a glass.:D

We are not complainers. We plan but know that things happen. As long as we are on a cruise we're happy. There are people who I swear wander around the ship looking for every tiny little detail that is not quite up to standard - a dirty window, a piece of rust on a railing - I'm sure you know the type. On our last cruise, we made a game out of it. If we saw ANYTHING that someone could possibly complain about we'd just say FREE CRUISE! None of us would EVER ask for a free cruise but there are some who seem to think any little imperfection entitles them to a free cruise. Our friends that were with us had been on the awful Infinity cruise when the pods just stopped working and they were stuck in Acapulco. Did they ask for a free cruise? Nope, they just went along with the situation, had a couple of free days in Acapulco and made it home safely. They laugh about it now and call it the Minnow Cruise.

Life is not perfect so why do people expect everything that happens on a vacation to be perfect? It never will be (especially for some people).

For me I've only cruised twice but I don't go in there with any more/less expectations than I do if I were on any other vacation. For me, as long as the food doesn't suck too much relative to what I paid for it and I can get a good nights sleep and have a good time, I'm happy.

The only thing I can say that I find bothersome in any vacation is being in the presence of fussy, annoying, or generally unpleasant people. Thankfully, I was able to avoid that on my X cruise. I had as much fun on X as I'd say my awesome Hawaiian vacation where I was able to totally chill on the Big Island, hike to my heart's content in a volcano with nobody else around me.

People who complain are a breed unto themselves. THey complain about everything.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The people I know (unfortunately) and DREAD getting into a conversation with seem to find a reason to complain and rant about everything - from work, to the food they are eating, to this, to that, you name it. Generally speaking if I can be away from fussy people, then I'd bet my house that I will have a fine and wonderful time wherever I am.

Amen, sistah! If the glass is already half-empty at embarkation, it's tough to enjoy the good stuff without tripping up on the unexpected challenges.

Linda, we had a blast on the Millennium and Rotterdam with you and your sister. In terms of being contagious, smiles and pleasant greetings trump the grump every time.

Hey, where have you been? We had a blast on the Millie and the Rotterdam as well. You should come and join us on Woo Hoo III in the Caribbean next Thanksgiving.

Merry Christmas to you both!

If something on the ship isn't right, we'll go to guest relations, engineering, the Maitre D' or housekeeping and get it taken care of. Makes a lot more sense than stewing about it until you can get to a computer and put your complaints on Cruise Critic.

I'm cruising to see places I've never seen before. I'm going to meet people I've never met before. We are healthy and solvent enough to be able to cruise. What in the world would I have to complain about?

Archived