Do End-Of Cruise Comment Cards Change Anything?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the art auctions went away because of the lawsuit that wound up proving much of the art sold were fakes.

I don't remember the particulars of this, but I'm pretty sure that is why the auctions are no more.

Anyone know?

They dropped ParkWest. They just have a new company that is handling them. Same setups and procedures.

Interesting conversation. I thought of this Sunday morning while I was getting off the Allure.

I had turned in my survey on my way to dinner Saturday night. Well... I should have held on to it. We encountered a very difficult individual at the hostess station- who purposely seated us in the wrong place after flat out telling us she would seat us with the waiter we requested with no problem (we had MTD). This was the 3rd night in a row we asked for this and she repeatedly seated us elsewhere. We saw that the waiter we wanted had many tables open. Earlier in the week when I asked that we be seated with a particular waiter she claimed that they are not allowed to take wait staff requests in MTD. Which I know is NOT true. After speaking with someone else they noted our reservation with our request.

We spoke with the Head Waiter who very angrily bolted off to speak with her. Our favored waiter came over and asked why we had requested NOT to sit with him. He had enjoyed serving us on the first few nights and thought he had somehow upset us. Apparently the hostess was playing games and telling him one thing and us another.

While I don't think it deserves an email to corporate, I wish I had been able to write her name down on the survey as someone who needs to be corrected.

Over the years I've fussed about two areas... Shore excursions desk and the Guest services desk. In the course of my years cruising I have seen improvements to both. It's hard to say if that is luck of the draw from one ship to the next, or actual improvement, but here's what I noticed:

GS- there was always a line and if you had a small issue, what a pain! Now there is a person working the line, dispatching small problems and running out back for larger time consuming tasks ( that would take the desk rep away, thereby lengthening the time it takes to be served). Big improvement! Many times I can get my issue addressed as soon as I enter the line and I'm off enjoying my vaca! Yahoo!:D

Explorations! ( see I know my RCI marketing;)This desk was just abysmal on a couple of ships. They literally didn't know the port ( as in answering simple questions about where to get a taxi etc) I found the staff completely unhelpful in explaining different excursions they themselves offered and once when I complained about an aspect of an excursion, (as you are begged to do!) they couldn't have been less interested, no apology, no attempt to say they would make a note or try to correct it for future cruises. Just stone face.

Well, fast forward to Oasis ( could just be the ship or maybe they've all improved). Love the set up of the kiosk, much better interaction, don't have to run out back to print tickets. Also the reps were very knowledgeable; one family was asking a very specific question about which tour would allow them to stop and take a photo of the ship from a very specific viewpoint. The staff person was able to explain exactly which tours stopped, which didn't let you off the bus, which did, which allowed you the most time etc. I was so very impressed with the level of detail. It seemed like the Explorations! Staff had actually gone on these tours...imagine!:rolleyes:

So long story, but yes, I think it's improved, based on customer feedback...don't even get me started on MTD...I had that on a comment card many a time before finally seeing it!

They dropped ParkWest. They just have a new company that is handling them. Same setups and procedures.

Yes... not sure who, but yes.. those annoying art auctions are still going on and it was still in the centrium bottom level on the Jewel as our room was near it on deck 9 and I could hear it going on if I stepped out of my room.

Over the years I've fussed about two areas... Shore excursions desk and the Guest services desk. In the course of my years cruising I have seen improvements to both. It's hard to say if that is luck of the draw from one ship to the next, or actual improvement, but here's what I noticed:

GS- there was always a line and if you had a small issue, what a pain! Now there is a person working the line, dispatching small problems and running out back for larger time consuming tasks ( that would take the desk rep away, thereby lengthening the time it takes to be served). Big improvement! Many times I can get my issue addressed as soon as I enter the line and I'm off enjoying my vaca! Yahoo!:D

Explorations! ( see I know my RCI marketing;)This desk was just abysmal on a couple of ships. They literally didn't know the port ( as in answering simple questions about where to get a taxi etc) I found the staff completely unhelpful in explaining different excursions they themselves offered and once when I complained about an aspect of an excursion, (as you are begged to do!) they couldn't have been less interested, no apology, no attempt to say they would make a note or try to correct it for future cruises. Just stone face.

Well, fast forward to Oasis ( could just be the ship or maybe they've all improved). Love the set up of the kiosk, much better interaction, don't have to run out back to print tickets. Also the reps were very knowledgeable; one family was asking a very specific question about which tour would allow them to stop and take a photo of the ship from a very specific viewpoint. The staff person was able to explain exactly which tours stopped, which didn't let you off the bus, which did, which allowed you the most time etc. I was so very impressed with the level of detail. It seemed like the Explorations! Staff had actually gone on these tours...imagine!:rolleyes:

So long story, but yes, I think it's improved, based on customer feedback...don't even get me started on MTD...I had that on a comment card many a time before finally seeing it!

Nope, the Jewel was great too... I bought a ticket for an excursion using the tv... well it stalled and I thought it didn't go through so hit it again, and dad was paying and I thought it would have his name so I went down to the desk... no prob, his name wouldn't be on it so I could still use it and him pay... and it had accidentally given us two tickets... they refunded one even though it was within the 24 range (I guess we are not the only stupid ones who can't work the tv properly. ;) Later dad went down to ask about internet cafe and they also told him about the Mayan Ruins which dad didn't know about in Costa Maya (he missed the excursion book I guess and they weren't an option 8 yrs ago when we went) We didn't do it but dad was impressed with the knowledge the staff had.

btw... in Costa Maya go out of the cruise dock area about a block or two there's a Hard Rock the building right before it is an Internet Cafe with computers and Wifi 3 for 30 min or 5 for an hour. Air conditioned too.

I used to think the guest surveys were carefully read and I always filled them out thoughtfully, especially to mention by name staff who we felt were especially attentive and friendly. But one day as we boarded Allure, we saw two staffers unloading the guest survey station. Literally hundreds and hundreds of guest surveys fell out on the floor and these were gathered up and placed in a very large black plastic bag.

I realized that if only one third of Allure's guests filled out the forms, there would be more than two thousand! Then I wondered who on earth would have time to read all those forms, especially the written comments.

On Oasis, this December, we were handed WOW cards at check-in and asked to fill them out and give them to crew members who gave us exceptional service. I'm not sure if this was supposed to supplement the guest surveys. It was odd that we could give these WOW cards directly to our chosen staffers, when guest surveys are placed in the locked guest survey slot. I'm not at all clear on the WOW cards or if staffers are rewarded for them or what.

Anyway, every cruise I praise the muscians and dancers. Here's how much good it has done--Royal has cut back the size of its shipboard orchestras from twelve when we first started cruising to about eight now! So much for my opinion.

It will be interestng to see what happens. For the first time ever, I filled out an additional sheet with my comment card to complain about an unpleasant encounter with a Royal Caribbean staff member.

Guest relations will give you an extra sheet to include with your comment card, if you go and ask for one.

They asked what they could do to fix it.....and I said really nothing can be done at this point. This gentleman apparently needs additional training on guest interactions. I wrote up what happened, and included it along with the fact that he became even more surly and beligerent when I tracked him down to get his name. Along with more yelling at me.

I am curious as to what they might do, if anything. From someone who gives excellent reviews on almost all cruises....to quite a few less than excellent on this last one. I am curious, just like the OP. :)

Really?? I didn't know that!! Thanks!

I didn't know that either Kathy....until I went and asked for a complaint form. It is just a lined sheet, and they request your stateroom number, ship and sailing date at the top. It is for additional comments (or complaints) :D

We also used a WOW card. The person that we filled it out about said thanks! but maybe you should drop it off. The WOW cards are to be dropped off in the Crown & Anchor box at the guest relations desk. NOT the customer survey box. :)

~Patti :)

Yes... not sure who, but yes.. those annoying art auctions are still going on and it was still in the centrium bottom level on the Jewel as our room was near it on deck 9 and I could hear it going on if I stepped out of my room.

That is very disappointing to hear. On the Jewel TA and repositioning cruises, the art auctions were held in some location other than the Centrum and were, therefore, much less intrusive and annoying.:) If they reappear in the Centrum on our next Jewel cruise, I will be sure to complain on my comment card and perhaps to some of the ship's staff who would be able to change things.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the art auctions went away because of the lawsuit that wound up proving much of the art sold were fakes.

I don't remember the particulars of this, but I'm pretty sure that is why the auctions are no more.

Anyone know?

When people complained to Royal Caribbean over discrepancies in the art provenance they had purchased among non-delivery, wrong artwork delivered, damage, and other problems and not getting anywhere with Park West, Royal claimed Park West was an independent contractor and, therefore, not their problem. However, the courts started taking into consideration that Royal Caribbean billed the customers (it was billed to their Sea Pass account), and, perhaps, Royal Caribbean had an obligation to check out their "independent contractors" a little closer and, hence, Royal could be included in any lawsuits. This got Royal's attention.

On our TA on the Mariner this fall, there were no art auctions which I made a point to write in the exit survey how appreciative I was.

Tucker in Texas

What on earth did he/she do, or not do, that was so bad he/she lost their job? I think I'd feel pretty crummy if I was responsible for someone losing their job...................... Was the complaint really worth his/her job to you?

I have never had service that I hoped someone would lose their job. But if the cruise line wants to provide the best service possible they need an honest appraisal of the service being rendered. On more than one occasion I have suggested that individuals needed additional training.

I personally don't believe one passenger comments caused a crew member to lose their job. But multiple complaints for multiple weeks probably do.

On Oasis, this December, we were handed WOW cards at check-in and asked to fill them out and give them to crew members who gave us exceptional service. I'm not sure if this was supposed to supplement the guest surveys. It was odd that we could give these WOW cards directly to our chosen staffers, when guest surveys are placed in the locked guest survey slot. I'm not at all clear on the WOW cards or if staffers are rewarded for them or what.

We were on Oasis the first week they started the "WOW" cards and I was a little bit confused when they handed them to us at check in because they said it was a new program and yet I hadn't heard about it on CC beforehand... :p

I gave one to our Waiter on the last night and he was just giddy. He told me they had just had a meeting about the WOW cards before dinner and that the crew member who received the most (I assume over a set period of time) would get to bring their family on board the Oasis for a free cruise! He said his children would love the Oasis (obviously!) Of course, I have no idea how many crew members can win (are they competing against people in their same position? just other crew vs. crew or are crew also competing against staff?) I'm actually a little surprised that we haven't heard more about the program...

Regardless, after hearing that I felt really glad I gave him one!

When people complained to Royal Caribbean over discrepancies in the art provenance they had purchased among non-delivery, wrong artwork delivered, damage, and other problems and not getting anywhere with Park West, Royal claimed Park West was an independent contractor and, therefore, not their problem. However, the courts started taking into consideration that Royal Caribbean billed the customers (it was billed to their Sea Pass account), and, perhaps, Royal Caribbean had an obligation to check out their "independent contractors" a little closer and, hence, Royal could be included in any lawsuits. This got Royal's attention.

On our TA on the Mariner this fall, there were no art auctions which I made a point to write in the exit survey how appreciative I was.

Tucker in Texas

I disagree with part of this. We paid Park West directly using a credit card on numerous occasions. Never billed to our Sea pass! Also, art auctions are back, like it or not!

I had an extremely bad cabin steward on Legend a few years ago. I compained about her attitude and poor performance to guest relations and head of housekeeping while onboard. I gave her poor marks and wrote a summary of the problems on the comment card. I got a phone call from corporate about a week later. Since the steward's contract was up and she chose not to renew it, they couldn't do anything.

I had a wonderful cabin steward on Liberty earlier this month. I gave her very positive marks on the comment card and sent an email to RC to praise her services. A couple weeks later I got this reply:

"I am pleased to learn that your stateroom attendant, Sonia, offered exceptional service. Providing a memorable experience is very important and we want our staff to help our guests feel at home during their time with us. It was a pleasure to pass along such positive comments to our shipboard management team, so that Sonia may be recognized for her dedication to fine service."

Thanks Patti......I did get a WOW card..............never knew about the extra paper though.

I asked for Wow cards from guest services and from Raul in the DL,

on my Freedom cruise last week.

Was told they are only available at the pier on check in. :(

I asked Guest Services for a couple of extra WOW cards on the Navigator recently and was told I could only have the one that I got on embarkation day. Sheesh, here I am trying to offer some praise for several staff members that gave me stellar service and I could only have one WOW card?

I did manage to scare up a few extras here and there, but I don't understand the mindset that I was normally only allowed one.

I asked for Wow cards from guest services and from Raul in the DL,

on my Freedom cruise last week.

Was told they are only available at the pier on check in. :(

Same thing on the MN..........I got one at check in....did a b2b,so wasnt back at the pier check in,so didnt get one for the 2nd leg.......and Dennis,who joined me,never was given one at all(2nd leg).......

I don't remember anything about getting or hearing about the WOW cards except at the Captain's Corner question and answer. A older gentleman asked the Captain about it and said he wanted one for a crew member and didn't understand why they were not at guest services. I think they did get the man something to praise whoever, but Captain Mac Donald said he would bring that up with corporate and he wasn't sure why the ship did not have any on board.

I don't remember anything about getting or hearing about the WOW cards except at the Captain's Corner question and answer. A older gentleman asked the Captain about it and said he wanted one for a crew member and didn't understand why they were not at guest services. I think they did get the man something to praise whoever, but Captain Mac Donald said he would bring that up with corporate and he wasn't sure why the ship did not have any on board.

I don't know your C&A status,but not everyone received a card....the email said their most loyal customers,which makes me think it is is D ?? or DP and above..

I'm not at all clear on the WOW cards or if staffers are rewarded for them or what.

• Once a Crew member has collected a certain number of cards, he/she will be given a WOW pin which may be worn on their uniform permanently.
  • There will be a Monthly and a Yearly winner chosen per ship.
  • The Monthly winner will be the crew member with the highest amount of Wow cards and they will be recognised by their ship's management team and will awarded a prize.
  • The Yearly winner will be the crew member on each ship with the highest amount of Wow cards for the complete year.
  • Crew members with 2 Stripes and below are eligible to take part in this program.
  • Loyalty & Future Cruise Sales Managers and Diamond Conceirges are not eligible.
  • Information will be available in the future on the Royal Caribbean website and in Crown & Anchor Newsletters.

When we were on the Jewel a week ago we asked Marya (our bar tender in the CL) which is more beneficial to them.....the WOW cards or their name mentioned on the surveys. She told us that the surveys were better. She also said that there has been mix ups with the WOW cards. Some of the cards are getting turned in to guest relations and the staff member is never made aware that they received the card.

Archived