Young kids on Regent

scarlett81

Start with a Rambler cruise:rolleyes:

No. Even for a first time cruiser I believe the sensible approach is to weigh up the type of activity which suits your personality and pocket and choose the cruise line accordingly. If you like mingling with lots of people with lots of activity, there are cruise lines to suit.

There is so much choice out there, none necessarily "better" or "worse", it just depends on you and your outlook.

First, Tahoe Traveler was excellent

What I would add as food for thought is that crusing, like life is a learning process

I feel one for a first time should start out simply, wiith a mass market ship, experience what you like or dont. Discover waht is there, what is not. How thngs work.

Next, armed with more confidence, knowledge and a sence of your own tastes, go to the next level, the Up-scale lines. Not Luxury yet.

Then as before explore the offerings, measure them to your personal and expanded experience.

Finaly when you have experienced what others offer and what you got from that experience, then go to Regent. You will be able to appreciate what you are getting. To really appreciate Tornedos Rossini with a 61 bordeaux in a Michelin 3 star, one needs to have tried vino primo with a hamburger under a railroad bridge in a rain storm.. Ying and Yang

You dont have to be overly mature in age to fully appreciate Regent. However, I truly beleive that you need to mature into it. Starting at the top, you have only down to go. This applies to kids too, give them something to look foward to ( you too) as you go through life.

Instant gratification leads down a slippery slope to frustration and depression in the long run.

I like Mercede AMG 500's, I like them even more because I started with a 1958 Rambler station wagon I bought from my father. It took decades to get my dream, and I savored it all the more with years of anticipation.

Maybe, Regent is like that..what do you think/ Start with a Rambler cruise:rolleyes:

Interesting points.

Let me add my perspective.

You have assumed that people have choices. They can choose between mass market lines, premium lines, luxury and ultra-luxury lines. That is only true if the person has the resources.

Take my family. We like cruising. But we can't go on the Regent even if we wanted to. It costs way too much!

Eric, we so agree with you regarding "the first cruise". If we had gone on a megaship the first time, we would never have cruised again. Our "first" was on the Radisson Diamond, then the Paul Gaughin, then Mariner, Navigator & Voyager. Have only cruised on "Regent" and prefer it that way. We, too, are smitten. Our next is a TA on Mariner in March. Linda & Larry in NJ

Eric, we so agree with you regarding "the first cruise". If we had gone on a megaship the first time, we would never have cruised again. Our "first" was on the Radisson Diamond, then the Paul Gaughin, then Mariner, Navigator & Voyager. Have only cruised on "Regent" and prefer it that way. We, too, are smitten. Our next is a TA on Mariner in March. Linda & Larry in NJ

IMO, each case is different. When you cruised on the Diamond, did you have young children? Did you have an expectation of partying into the wee hours of the morning? I suspect that this was not the case.

I think the Paul Gauguin could seduce anyone (it certain did seduce us). We did not want to cruise -- did not like anything about it.. .. however, we could not resist going on a luxury ship in French Polynesia (even though we had visited there twice previously).

I can only speak for us. If we took a Regent all-inclusive cruise as our first cruise, we would not have appreciated all it had to offer. Even today 13 luxury cruises later.. . . we have no idea of what it is like to sail on a mega ship. From what I've read, it would be like going to Disneyland. It's nice when your kids are young. . . . but after that :rolleyes:

All good points. Yes I thought about that can't-get-better-than this scenario too.

sigh..but-I am a mother living with cystic fibrosis. My life is hard enough. LOL

We'll see..don't know what we'll decide to do. All comes down to numbers, and best itinerary. But I don't want to bring my parents on a Rambler cruise for their 50th anniversary! :p

You and your parents deserve the best you can afford, and I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

But what's a "Rambler" cruise? :rolleyes: (Like a Rambler car? No, you're too young to remember one of those!)

The phrase originated in HawaiiDan's post#24 - see above.

TC2, when we first sailed on the Diamond (back in '95) we did not have young children (we don't have any) nor did we expect to party til the wee hours. What we liked about it was the size (small) and the inclusiveness of wine at dinner and gratuities. We were two hard-working people (I think we were called DINKs then...Dual Income No Kids) in our 30's & 40's and immediately loved the cruise line (Radisson to Regent). Now that we are retired, we can't go on as many Regent cruises as we would like, but when we do, we have found "value" on Regent. Of course, that may be changing... Linda & Larry in NJ

A rambler . See Nash Rambler was a car of the 50's, Started out as the Nash which was the Kaiser... never mind I came out as a family economy car and was famous for the fold down seats, ( no comment)

It became American motors, aquired Jeep and folded .

Interesting comments.

I still hold that starting at the top is filled with pit falls and possible frustrations.

Taking anyone on their first experience to the best or hiighest will only compound, in my experience, future frustrtions. Flying first class, Luxury meals, Cars, homes. And Clothes

Whereas , starting slow and low leaves the door open to future suprises and gorwth. Something , as I said to loof foward to.

Taking ones parents on their first cruise on the best of the best I think only feeds the ego. ( look what I did !!)

The parents have, nor do you, and expectations for a first experience.

How does one know that they would not have been wowed by a Princess cruise? If you have, thus, nothing to compare it to, how do you compare? Somtimes, judging others tastes by our own wants and desires is a trap.

My dad would never have been caught dead in a Mercedes even if you gave him one...liked Chevrolets better...

If you took a person from the slums of bangaladesh out to a Denny's he would be blown away. But, would you consider taking him for his meal to The French Laundry or Tallevent ( michelin 3 star) because you know them to be better? What would his reaction be?

Subjective or objective....

All I know is that if I had taken my husband on Carnival for his first cruise, we would have never been cruising again.

But we were accustomed to staying in nice hotels, eating in great restaurants, etc, before we started cruising. He wouldn't be happy staying at Motel 6 or eating at Denny's either, unless that was all that was available.

All I know is that if I had taken my husband on Carnival for his first cruise, we would have never been cruising again.

But we were accustomed to staying in nice hotels, eating in great restaurants, etc, before we started cruising. He wouldn't be happy staying at Motel 6 or eating at Denny's either, unless that was all that was available.

I couldn't agree more. And sometimes our children are accustomed to the nicer facilities as well. :)

To the OP:

For what it's worth, if your children are going to spend the majority of their time with you and organized children's activities are of no concern, I would say bring them with you and your parents on Regent, by all means.

It's a nice experience for any who appreciate a nice, welcoming environment and they will most likely appreciate that, much the same way they appreciate a special trip or dining experience on land. It is not a formal line, but elegantly casual, and very well suited (IMO) to those who appreciate those niceties.

Taking ones parents on their first cruise on the best of the best I think only feeds the ego. ( look what I did !!)

The parents have, nor do you, and expectations for a first experience.

How does one know that they would not have been wowed by a Princess cruise? If you have, thus, nothing to compare it to, how do you compare? Somtimes, judging others tastes by our own wants and desires is a trap.

My dad would never have been caught dead in a Mercedes even if you gave him one...liked Chevrolets better...

If you took a person from the slums of bangaladesh out to a Denny's he would be blown away. But, would you consider taking him for his meal to The French Laundry or Tallevent ( michelin 3 star) because you know them to be better? What would his reaction be?

Subjective or objective....

Its Taillevent my good man. And yes, we've eaten there-us uneducated youngins.

Hawaiidan-I find you very entertaining and you crack me up. I believe beneath that cranky old guy sitting at his polished hardwood desk typing away beats a soft spot...

Taking the parents away to Regent, HAL or a suite on Celeb only has to do with giving them the best gift we can afford. It has nothing to do with ego, honestly. If I could afford a time share in Boca I'd bring them there, if that was the best I could do. They have raised 9 children, given birth to 7 and adopted my brother and I...my mothers been working her whole life for others and never eaten at a 5 star restaurant in New York. I feel that she deserves to be treated like a queen for 12 days.

As for us...well, I don't want to be the one to sound 'snobbish'-ooh...not pointing fingers here...but DH and I have been around the five star block, my Michelin man. No need to elaborate. Just sounds icky to me to do so.

Mean all this in good fun btw! I don't like segregating of the classes be it 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or those with children. ;)

A rambler . See Nash Rambler was a car of the 50's, Started out as the Nash which was the Kaiser... never mind I came out as a family economy car and was famous for the fold down seats, ( no comment)

It became American motors, aquired Jeep and folded .

Any mention of the Nash Rambler is incomplete without the Beep! Beep! Song. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=beep%20beep%20little%20nash%20rambler&source=web&cd=11&ved=0CBwQtwIwADgK&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dkk-LH0-Wq4g&ei=EiwGT9KaHoqqiQKRrOFK&usg=AFQjCNH8nhRgtmgWT_ZlQYcvM2LC3OTBsw&cad=rja) Enjoy. :D

Sounds like the priority is the trip for your parents,sharing time together, making memories, mostly for the adults. You yourself should plan what you think you'd enjoy best with your family, CF means make every moment count in my opinion. If you are spending more time in your suite because of the kids factor that into your thinking as well. Even the most standard suites on Regent are really lovely, yet you may be planning on a bigger suite on Celebrity than a standard balcony? For Europe I'd do Regent, at your kid friendly time of course. Your mom will be treated like a queen on either line, but she won't be standing IN lines on Regent. Which X ship are you currently booked on? The solstice class ships are gorgeous, but large, as you likely know. whatever you choose have an outstanding trip with your family.

Dave.... you remember your rambler song... Too does any one remember that Colombo drove a Rambler mertopolitan. ( By the way after benz living I am now driving a 88' chevy truck... maybe dad was right.)

Scarlet, The way I was brought up there were family recreations, child recreations and Adult recreations. I may be in the minority, but some experiences are adult recreation.

I think cruises , specificaly, luxury cruises are adult recreation. Not to exclude families because there are other options. Cruises that cater to families. I just dont see it as healthy to give too much too soon.

My mom used to say" if you are looking for a hand, you will find one at the end of your wrist."

I grew up in a family with normal family income, but lived and worked with people of considerable wealth... I watched as they would fly their kids to Hawaii for graduation from Jr High, Give em' a new BMW for Highschool graduation. Over the years I saw parents exposing their kids to the quality or good life resulted , for the most part, in screwing up the kids pretty good. Saw this over and over for decades.

It did not have the effect the parents wanted in the long run. By 24 most were dropouts, druggies or pretty irresponsible people. You would have thought with everythting provided it would have thrived. The worth of anything is valued by what work and costs you had to pay for it. Things given for nothing are in the end valued as such.

I did later in life give my parents trips, but asked them what they wanted and expected and matched my gift to their expectations rather than mine.

The very reason I like Regent as much as I do, is that I alternate sailing in the lowest inside cabins on Holland and Celeb, to keep my perspectives.

I am not one who needs something to be happy ( Oh I only stay as Four Seasons,) I am happy for whatever I have at the molment.

I am just as happy in a best western and eating a chilidog, with a beer as in a Paris Micheln 3 star. Each enhances the experience of the other. :D

Scarlet, The way I was brought up there were family recreations, child recreations and Adult recreations. I may be in the minority, but some experiences are adult recreation.

I think cruises , specificaly, luxury cruises are adult recreation. Not to exclude families because there are other options. Cruises that cater to families.

I grew up in a family with normal family income, but lived and worked with people of considerable wealth... I watched as they would fly their kids to Hawaii for graduation from Jr High, Give em' a new BMW for Highschool graduation. Over the years I saw parents exposing their kids to the quality or good life resulted , for the most part, in screwing up the kids pretty good.

However eloquent, I think if I understand you correctly the real issue is you fall into the group of people who think children just "don't belong" on a luxury cruise.

And while entitled to that opinion, I must take issue with the condemnation of the parent for making that choice - one supported by the cruise line itself - and one which may be right for her circumstance.

I doubt Scarlett's <1 and 4 yr old children will be "screwed up" by the experience.

Somewhere in this thread we seem to have lost the fact that this cruise will be during the summer -- when school is out and children are expected on Regent. Whether or not children should be welcome on luxury liners at other times is a different discussion.

I do understand Hawaiidan's point of view. In this case, with a parent's 50th wedding anniversary, all rules should go out the window. They will no doubt love the cruise -- even with nothing to compare it to. The children's mother seems ready to take care of her children and insure that they are not disrupting others (hope other parents do the same). At the end of the day, the youngest child won't even remember the cruise and the oldest one could care less (as long as he is occupied and well fed).

Well...

My husband and I have decided that we will be deeply depressed, possibly divorced, our children ruined for life (and us broke and them with no inheritance) if we decide to go on this cruise.

Thank God we found Hawaiidan...the dr. Phil of Cruise Critic. :D

The truth is that all people are entitled to their opinions. And all people have different dreams. Its nice to hear that your parents raised you so well. My parents did a good job too. They adopted me at the age of 7 after my birth parents left me and my baby brother for a life of drugs...and my mother cared for me selflessly while I was hospitalized year after year from childhood on because of my cystic fibrosis...(as we speak I'm inhaling my medications and hooked up to an IV pole). Yes, some people have dreams...I just think, wow you know what-all the odds were against us, and I want to thank my parents, treat them like royalty (and maybe myself too) bc here I am alive...with my own 2 little ones now. My parents never thought that'd happen-they were told I wouldn't make it past 16.

Thats nice that you alternate your luxe cruise lines to keep it all in perspective...what a nice thought. What a sacrifice.

;)

No sob story here-I know who I am, and no cruise will be sending me into a deep depression, or ruining my children's lives. Already beaten that one! Just a little reminder that life is more than cruising...and there are actual real people behind these anonymous computer screens.

Hawaiidan I'd like to thank you...for I feel that your name will be a long running source of laughter for me and DH for a long time. In an affectionate sort of way.

BTW for anyone who is interested, we aren't going on the Regent cruise. We're sticking with Celebrity as long as they don't throw out Istanbul on us. In the end its about a $5000 difference and I can get a rug in Turkey for that.

I have to say other than the comical stuff, this thread was so interesting to me! So many different perspectives and alot of good info. Thank you ALL!

Scarlett, thanks for sharing your heartfelt decision-making process in selecting your cruise. Hope your cruise exceeds all your expectations. Your actions speak volumes about the wonderful love you have for your parents, children and husband--Bravo!

Archived