msZuiderdam Front Desk staff was HORRIBLE. Won't be booking HA again

jill_delaware

[B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I've never noticed any sign in our bathroom stating do not flush tampons. I've cruised on Carnival three times now and there has never been such a sign. It is composed of cotton and sometimes partially rayon. Toilet paper is made of cotton as well.

If you plug in the "Question" on google you will see some people believe you can not flush them, while others say you can. According to Tampax, for example, they are 100% man-made and can be flushed.

I've not had to "flush" any such thing on a ship, however, blaming the plumbing problems on women with periods is quite silly.

I'm sure everyone loves this graphic visual [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]:D

[B]The sign posted on the wall behind every toilet also does not say do not flush Depends, wash clothes, baby diapers, and all other things people manage to put in t heir toilets that clog the system.

The sign says that NOTHING should go in the toilet except the toilet paper provided by the ship and that for which one uses the toilet for what it is intended.

They could not possibly make a list of everything that should not be flushed....
There isn't room on the wall to put the whole long list!!! :)

Flush what you want in your home toilet; please do not when on a ship. Thanks. ;)
[/B]

[quote name='aidansaunt2004'][B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I've never noticed any sign in our bathroom stating do not flush tampons. I've cruised on Carnival three times now and there has never been such a sign. It is composed of cotton and sometimes partially rayon. Toilet paper is made of cotton as well.

If you plug in the "Question" on google you will see some people believe you can not flush them, while others say you can. According to Tampax, for example, they are 100% man-made and can be flushed.

I've not had to "flush" any such thing on a ship, however, blaming the plumbing problems on women with periods is quite silly.

I'm sure everyone loves this graphic visual [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]:D[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B]A photo of the sign beside or above every toilet on all 15 of HAL ships. This one is from the Oosterdam this past spring:
Click on it to read it better (full sized and quite readable).

[URL="http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/6177_Joanie-Bathroom-13.jpg"][IMG]http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/sm-6177_Joanie-Bathroom-13.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]Wow, I'd like to see the sign quoting that very long statement. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B];)

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]The sign posted on the wall behind every toilet also does not say do not flush Depends, wash clothes, baby diapers, and all other things people manage to put in t heir toilets that clog the system.

The sign says that NOTHING should go in the toilet except the toilet paper provided by the ship and that for which one uses the toilet for what it is intended.

They could not possibly make a list of everything that should not be flushed....
There isn't room on the wall to put the whole long list!!! :)

Flush what you want in your home toilet; please do not when on a ship. Thanks. ;)
[/B][/quote]

Didn't see any out of action on the Zuiderdam in August 2010 but the other ship starting with Z (Zaandam) had 'out of use' public toilets this past November/December - several in fact.

Also our stateroom one wouldn't flush the first morning, not a nice sitiuation to have after Dh had a little sit down accompanied by the morning paper! :(
It was quickly rectified by a very charming plumber who when he realised I wasn't feeling well (seas not kind going over the Tasman) even came back during the morning to double check it was working properly - seems someone on the deck above 'flushed something down there that shouldn't have been flushed' :confused:

[I]We're talking about the Zuiderdam here, not the "Zdam". HAL has two ships starting with Z. "Zdam" is ambiguous[/I]. [/quote

First, let me preface that this is my 4th cruise on Holland America. The first 3 were wonderful. This year, we booked 4 suites on the msZuiderdam for an 11 day Christmas cruise to the Panama Canal. From the first day we boarded the ship, our toilet did not work - it would not flush. We called the front desk repeatedly and they were not able to fix the problem nor did they move us....

Sorry to hear of the problems onboard. Rest assured that HAL knows they have a major issue here, and will take care of it in drydock if not earlier.

Chances are you were not offered other rooms because the ship was sold out for the holiday sailing.

Anyway...

I have also had problems with Front Desk staff on HAL, most recently on the Amsterdam. Once I realized that they are simply not trained to do anything more than to answer basic questions, give directions to various parts of the ship, print guest cards, make change, etc. my frustration evaporated. If I needed to communicate with a department head, I wrote the person a note and had the front desk deliver it. This worked beautifully, and I always received a reply (phone call) from the person within 24 hours at the most.

I will be on HAL again next month and will keep in mind that the Front Office staff is very limited in what they can do, and so will not even attempt to engage them unless it's for the most basic of reasons.

aidansaunt2004

Nope

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry what was quoted wasn't what was listed on the "toilet sign". I was commenting on the fact that the person listed this super long statement of what the sign says, when in fact that's not what it says.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas

The sign posted on the wall behind every toilet also does not say do not flush Depends, wash clothes, baby diapers, and all other things people manage to put in t heir toilets that clog the system.

There isn't room on the wall to put the whole long list!!!

Flush what you want in your home toilet; please do not when on a ship. Thanks.

Perhaps a re-read of that post might be helpful.

You seem confused and might have missed the part that says: "...the sign posted on the wall behind every toilet does NOT say........"

Hope this helps to clear up any confusion.

{ I added the underlines to direct your attention to where you might have become confused. }

Refer to post #78 to read the actual sign. I tried to copy and paste it here but it didn't past.

No, I don't need to read anything again. You stated that the sign said....

That is your quote. I made the comment that I would like to see ALL of that on the sign. In fact, ALL of that is NOT on the sign. Clearly, you missed my point. It apparently went over your head. :rolleyes:

Actually, those are something that shouldn't be flushed on a ship. Sorry.

The Captain on our last ship said two or three times in his chats

"If you have not eaten or drunk it - apart from OUR toilet paper" It MUST NOT BE FLUSHED" the previous writer WAS WRONG you are correct

Please, flush anything you want when you sail a Carnival ship. But if you ever sail on HAL, only flush the toilet paper they provide, or what you have expelled.

That means no facial tissue, no tampons, no Depends or Pampers, no toy cars, no rubber balls. NOTHING ELSE.

By the way, you can drop the entitlement attitude anytime. I definitely don't need you to tell me how to read or even what to read. ;)

Perhaps you should re-read what you wrote on another thread a few days ago:

I don't understand where some people get their attitude from. In so many threads someone is being completely rude to others because they disagree with their opinion. It's an opinion, everyone has one. If you don't like one person's it doesn't give you the right to be mean.

So what gives you the right now to be rude (not just to Sail, but to Joanie and others in this thread)?

I'm not being rude. I'm defending myself. First there was the comment about how young people shouldn't be cruising because they aren't smart enough and then there was the comment with things underlined because apparently, I'm not able to read :rolleyes:

By the way, thanks for being my number 1 CC stalker! I always wanted one :rolleyes:

I cannot for the life of me believe that this is a permanent problem. I believe it is showing us that we are smart NOT to cruise with lots of young people on board. DO NOT GET ME WRONG I LOVE young people, just not willing to cruise with lots of them like holiday times get.

Joanie

Oh, Joanie... would love to sail with you one day! :)

I'm not being rude. I'm defending myself. First there was the comment about how young people shouldn't be cruising because they aren't smart enough and then there was the comment with things underlined because apparently, I'm not able to read :rolleyes:

By the way, thanks for being my number 1 CC stalker! I always wanted one :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should look again at Joanie's post. (I won't dare say re-read, as to not offend you). She never said that young people are too stupid cruise. Never. She said she would rather not cruise when there are a lot of younger people on board. I am a "young person" and I would much rather travel with an older, more sophisticated crowd. It's my own opinion and I'm allowed to have one, as is Joanie, as are you, as is every single person on this board.

Ann I am not saying that is what happened. I am just saying that it is a possibility because over the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday cruises is when this seems to have first been mentioned. It is just a thought as to one possibility of what could have happened. NOT that it is the cause. And that is the time when there are usually a lot more in the age categories that I waas using as a thought...

Anything could have happened. Remember a year or so ago when I mentioned I was going to bring my own TP?? I got hit big time for that stupid statement. BUT, I'd no idea that there was such a thing as a special TP for ships. Others might be as unaware as I used to be.

I was just trying to figure out what has gone so wrong with her plumbing in less than 90 days:confused:

BTW, on a GOOD note Ann, 1/3 of what I used to do, remember my emails:) I is doing good:)

Joanie

Well done, I knew you could do it! :):)

My TA contacted Seattle this afternoon and spoke to someone in Ships Services, whatever that is... and that person said they are unaware of any ongoing issues with the plumbing or A/c on the Zuiderdam, and she is not due for any major work until November 2012. Oh dear.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

As an fyi, when we sailed on the Veendam this past August, we had really bad A/C issues in our suite. When we told the concierge they told us that they didn't know of any issues. Really??? The A/C issues on the Veendam have been going on since they added the lanais. After two days of complaining and my husband being an Engineer and explaining what was going on, we finally got a solution! After the fact, we received compensation, which we eventually gave back to the Concierge, who kept on top of things. It just seems that HAL is ignoring these "older" ships with an agenda to have an excuse to get rid of them. P.S. we also had toilet issues for about 1 day.

I've never noticed any sign in our bathroom stating do not flush tampons. I've cruised on Carnival three times now and there has never been such a sign. It is composed of cotton and sometimes partially rayon. Toilet paper is made of cotton as well.

I'm sure everyone loves this graphic visual :D

Maybe you should consult a plumber to ask if you should flush tampons. I've had 2 friends that ended up with plumbing problems in their homes from doing just that. I seem to have enough expenses already without doing things to add to problems. Maybe you enjoy spending money on plumbers. Wow...having a hard time understanding why you are having such a problem with this concept.

My TA contacted Seattle this afternoon and spoke to someone in Ships Services, whatever that is... and that person said they are unaware of any ongoing issues with the plumbing or A/c on the Zuiderdam, and she is not due for any major work until November 2012. Oh dear.

oh dear is right....I wonder though if they would even admit they were aware? Probably not....sure hope they figure out something because if the next set of cruisers find the same problems I think HAL will be in big trouble with all the letter writing they will receive. Maybe we should bombard their offices with letters!

The above is just one of the things that can and will cause the system to become blocked.

We were on the Amsterdam in Alaska, a charter, no kids, all adults. The charter company's daily schedule highlighted what should/should not be flushed down the toilets (condoms specifically mentioned as a no-no). So what do they find in the clogged plumbing? A wash cloth. Really? Stupid people everywhere.

Oh dear, Joanie, that was not good reasoning.:confused: My other cruise line of choice is RCI, where there are LOTS of younger people - young ladies included - and children. And we have never experienced plumbing problems on those ships.

I have never experienced plumbing problems either (HAL, Princess, Cunard, NCL). Doesn't mean it never happens... only heard of it being an issue on one cruise (see my previous post).

Archived