Last minute question about laundry??

GLCAS

The OP has had their quesstion answered about the access of laundry services, and not having self-service....as to the rip-off and 'reasonable????' posts, if you think the costs are out of hand because you think you can get your shirts done for a buck, then bring enough clothes so you don't have to feel you are getting 'ripped off'. The rest of us who actually know how much laundry and dry-cleaning costs will use the reasonable charges. Sounds like someone hasn't gone to a cleaners in years or their spouse does all the work.

Personally, I'm getting very tired of the 'ripped-off' comments about cruising. "They are reducing the MDR dining quality to force us to use the costly specialty restaurants'....'they are way overcharging us for wine, I can get the same wine at a 1/4 of the cost at my local store'....'They are way overcharging us with those costly drinks',,,,'massages',,,,'trinkets'......whatever...(OK, the massages Are way overcharged prices).

If this is what you focus on, take a land vacation or an all-inclusive cruise or whatever. But please quit posting rediculous statements and blowing everything out of proportion.

Den

You are so right. My daughter and friend are going to St Lucia for a week at an all inclusive(4 star). Including air $4700 for 2. They were hard pressed to find something for under $5000. Cruising is still the best value

On our cruise last month, we were told that this has been discontinued.

On our last cruise in Oct/Nov - a 15 night - there was a "all you can stuff in a bag" laundry special the second week. Price was $29. So it would seem to vary by ship and length of cruise. The best deals come with Elite status with 30 pieces of laundry free for each person.

My daughter lives in Northern VA (Alexandria). Please give us the name or location of one of these cheap laundries. She would love to save some money and $1.00 per shirt sure would help. Thanks a bunch.
I don't know if you are serious in your request, but there is a good local company named Zips at 6216 N. Kings Highway in Alexandria, VA. They have more than one store in the area. Our daughter uses the one in Laurel, MD and she's had good service, but, as usual, YMMV. When you use these low price laundries, sometimes you get what you pay for. Zips charge $1.99 to dry clean and press any garment and $1.39 to launder and press a shirt.

My daughter lives in Northern VA (Alexandria). Please give us the name or location of one of these cheap laundries. She would love to save some money and $1.00 per shirt sure would help. Thanks a bunch.

There are discount laundries all over the metro DC area. If she wants to save some money all she has to do is look! I don't use them as I would have to drive ( by the way most of the discount ones have drive thru windows) and there four in my neighborhood in Chevy Chase that charge reasonable prices that I can walk to. The one I use which has locations around the area, Georgetown Valet charges $1.75 per shirt. They do a great job there on laundry and dry cleaning.

This last year I have taken long cruises and since there was no self laundry I had no choice but to send some out. Spent about $30 to 35 on each cruise and I don't think that was unreasonable.

I doubt seriously too many people do their socks or underwear back home. Take a look at the things that we send clothes to the cleaners for and the prices are very comparable and reasonable....

Even if you were to do a pair of socks for a dollar, what is wrong with that, where did you have anything done lately for less than a dollar....

What do you mean that you don't do it at home??? You got a drawer full of dirty socks and underwear??? At home, you place your dirties in a bag, weigh the bag and pay accordingly.

The OP has had their quesstion answered about the access of laundry services, and not having self-service....as to the rip-off and 'reasonable????' posts, if you think the costs are out of hand because you think you can get your shirts done for a buck, then bring enough clothes so you don't have to feel you are getting 'ripped off'. The rest of us who actually know how much laundry and dry-cleaning costs will use the reasonable charges. Sounds like someone hasn't gone to a cleaners in years or their spouse does all the work.

Personally, I'm getting very tired of the 'ripped-off' comments about cruising. "They are reducing the MDR dining quality to force us to use the costly specialty restaurants'....'they are way overcharging us for wine, I can get the same wine at a 1/4 of the cost at my local store'....'They are way overcharging us with those costly drinks',,,,'massages',,,,'trinkets'......whatever...(OK, the massages Are way overcharged prices).

If this is what you focus on, take a land vacation or an all-inclusive cruise or whatever. But please quit posting rediculous statements and blowing everything out of proportion.

Den

It's not very nice belittleing people when you think that you are right. "The rest of us who actually know how much............."I spend close to $50/per week with dry cleaners. I know EXACTLY what costs are throughout the country as I travel (for buisness) extensivley. And the costs are most definitley out of line with what the real world charges.

It's not very nice belittleing people when you think that you are right. "The rest of us who actually know how much............."I spend close to $50/per week with dry cleaners. I know EXACTLY what costs are throughout the country as I travel (for buisness) extensivley. And the costs are most definitley out of line with what the real world charges.

A cruise is not the real world....

What do you mean that you don't do it at home??? You got a drawer full of dirty socks and underwear??? At home, you place your dirties in a bag, weigh the bag and pay accordingly.

They are saying they don't send their socks out at home, they do their socks at home.

When I'm on an all too infrequent vacation, a time that I have been planning and looking forward to for months, I personally feel it's ludicrous to spend several hours of that rare, valuable time doing my own laundry to save less than $50. If wasting that time to save those few bucks is important to some of you, then have at it. Me, I'll be sitting by the pool reading a good book, or enjoying some other activity I rarely get a chance to do, while you are washing your clothes just to save an insignificant amount of money. Talk about being "penny wise, pound foolish" :rolleyes:

When I'm on an all too infrequent vacation, a time that I have been planning and looking forward to for months, I personally feel it's ludicrous to spend several hours of that rare, valuable time doing my own laundry to save less than $50. If wasting that time to save those few bucks is important to some of you, then have at it. Me, I'll be sitting by the pool reading a good book, or enjoying some other activity I rarely get a chance to do, while you are washing your clothes just to save an insignificant amount of money. Talk about being "penny wise, pound foolish" :rolleyes:

For a short seven day cruise it does not make much sense but when you are on longer length cruises, an hour doing laundry is not significant. Plus I do it early in the morning, 6 or 7. I am usually up reading in my cabin before breakfast any way as at home I have to get up at 5. My vacations are pretty frequent though as I have five weeks and usually cruise on most of that time so my vacation time isn't rare. That said since my last two long cruises were on ships without self service laundry I found sending the laundry out to be pretty convenient and reasonable as they had stuff the bag specials. And on Celebrity I get enough complimentary laundry that not having a self service laundry does not matter.

YOur opinion only, that has not been my experience and apparently from previous posts, the experience of the majority of people who commented on this thread...

On our last cruise in Oct/Nov - a 15 night - there was a "all you can stuff in a bag" laundry special the second week. Price was $29. So it would seem to vary by ship and length of cruise. The best deals come with Elite status with 30 pieces of laundry free for each person.

How weird! I have experienced the stuff-the-bag before, so contacted the steward to ask which night it would be. We were on a 12 night Med cruise on Solstice. He told me it was discontinued! Wonder why there is so much variance.

Reasonable? In most cities, you can get a dress shirt laundered and pressed for $1. It looks like that would cost $7.95 on Celebrity ($4.00 for laundering, $3.95 for pressing).

Sorry to correct you but when you have a shirt washed it comes back ironed and that's only $4.00 at your pricing. Anyone on this Board ever have to pay extra to iron a shirt that was washed?

Richard

I understand my" brown shoe brother", in the quit complaining.

I too understand complaining is to many a pass time .

However, I expect to pay charges that are in line with other cruise industry ships, from liquor to laundry. I don't compare them to shoreside, just on others afloat.

Since I take 3 to 4 week cruises it becomes a real issue like $500 to $800 more for a cruise if there are not laundry packages. Thats not nickel and dime to me thats like 15% of the fare

Holland for example charges a flat $7 per day per cabin for unlimited laundry . By the piece it is about the same as Cleb.

However there is always an option vS none. I think the issue is that this is by design and that is what people dont like.

I pack mostly micro fiber and polypro stuff because you can wash it your self and in 45 min it dry and ready to wear.

Frankly, I find that dry cleaning in my area is far more expensive than it is onboard! We always get our formalwear cleaned at the end of the trip because it costs less than taking it home to get it done. Last time my husband's tuxedo needed cleaning, along with a dress shirt, the dry cleaning bill was over $20! On the ship it is considerably less than that.

We are on the Infinity B2B and will be a week in BA, 4 weeks on the ship and a week in Key West. We take one large checked bag and one roller carry on each. I have all my shoes:D DH has his Tux and we both have enough clothes not to worry day to day about laundry. I don't think we have ever spent more than $30-$40 on laundry per cruise and we usually cruise 2 weeks or longer. We would much rather take more clothes and & not worry about laundry.

I doubt seriously too many people do their socks or underwear back home. Take a look at the things that we send clothes to the cleaners for and the prices are very comparable and reasonable....

Even if you were to do a pair of socks for a dollar, what is wrong with that, where did you have anything done lately for less than a dollar....

We take tide for washing in the sink and wash our own socks, underwear and gym clothes, while sending a few shirts and pants/shorts to the X laundry. I like NCL's $24.95 special that includes all you can stuff in a laundry bag.

No self service laundrys on any Celebrity ship. Irons and steamers are forbidden items and will be confiscated upon boarding. Below is a link to the laundry prices..

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Ship+%26+Stateroom+Details&faqId=566&pagename=faq_answers

Thank you for posting this link. We just booked our first Celebrity Cruise as well as our first 14 day and now will pack for one! I'm not sure if there will be a baggage fee to Singapore, but laundry is cheaper than baggage fee and will have less stuff to lug around.

Thank you for posting this link. We just booked our first Celebrity Cruise as well as our first 14 day and now will pack for one! I'm not sure if there will be a baggage fee to Singapore, but laundry is cheaper than baggage fee and will have less stuff to lug around.

All the international flights I have done had baggage fees only after the first checked bag. No fee for one checked bag. Also be careful with your carry on. On international flights the carry on bag size allowed is usually smaller than on domestic flights. The carry on you have been using on domestic flights may be deemed to large on an international flight. Check on the airline you are using's web site for that airlines rules for checked baggage and carry on baggage.

at a 1.99 each they must do a huge volume. My family owns a drycleaners and the cheap prices that have been mentioned would not cover the cost of the removal of the chemicals as required by the Feds

Lucky you for having access to cheaper prices:eek:

at a 1.99 each they must do a huge volume. My family owns a drycleaners and the cheap prices that have been mentioned would not cover the cost of the removal of the chemicals as required by the Feds

Lucky you for having access to cheaper prices:eek:

The discount $1.99 places do have a huge volume. They even have drive up windows. The dry cleaners in my neighborhood, there are 4 or 5 shops which are somewhat more expensive, but not outragous, don't do the laundry on the premisis. It would not be allowed anyway. A truck comes once a day and takes the laundry to a plant off site in the morning and and in the evening it delivers cleaned items from the plant. The one I go to has at least 10 stores under it's name.

Instead of bringing Woolite, we use the hair shampoo as a detergent to clean socks, underwear and other small articles in our cabin's bathroom sink. In fact I usually take the cheap shampoo from the hotel we stay at before our cruise to use onboard for this purpose.

I retired from a major supplier of detergents, surfactants and dispersants that covered the personal care, home care as well as the industrial sectors and the components of both products are very similar. Hair and natural fibers like wool, are very similar in composition and the idea in cleaning either is to remove grease and soil. Shampoo even works well with synthetic fiber like polyester and nylon as with these it is more difficult for stains to penetrate the fiber so you need only to remove the grim on the surface.

Yuck, I would never bother wasting my vacation time washing my own socks and underwear. These items are the smallest and take the least amount of weight in a suitcase, so I just bring a lot for the cruise, bring a large plastic bag for all of it that is worn and put it in the washing machine when I get home. I didn't go on a cruise to do my own laundry.

Yuck, I would never bother wasting my vacation time washing my own socks and underwear. These items are the smallest and take the least amount of weight in a suitcase, so I just bring a lot for the cruise, bring a large plastic bag for all of it that is worn and put it in the washing machine when I get home. I didn't go on a cruise to do my own laundry.
That will certainly work for a one week cruise, but it gets awkward for a longer one (we're talking over 3 weeks!). I think it's best for everyone if my husband's socks and underwear gets laundered along the way. We'll opt for the ship's laundry service everyone... it's safe to inhale :D

Archived