Last minute question about laundry??

GLCAS

Hi all, I have a question. We have never been on Celebrity, only Princess and Carnival. Does Celebrity have a laundry onboard? We are on for 12 days and need to know how much to pack. Is there a limit of suitcases or weight for the ship? We are not flying, so that is not a consideration. Thanks for any info! :)

There is no self service laundry but Celebrity's laundry prices are quite reasonable. Their dry cleaning is downright cheap compared to my local places and they do a good job.

I believe the limit is 200lbs per person, so bring whatever you want!

No self service laundrys on any Celebrity ship. Irons and steamers are forbidden items and will be confiscated upon boarding. Below is a link to the laundry prices..

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Ship+%26+Stateroom+Details&faqId=566&pagename=faq_answers

Good to know. I think I may need a bigger bag

There is no self service laundry but Celebrity's laundry prices are quite reasonable. Their dry cleaning is downright cheap compared to my local places and they do a good job.

I believe the limit is 200lbs per person, so bring whatever you want!

REASONABLE???????????? A buck for socks, buck-fifty for underwear and $2 for a teashirt. Celebrity's laundry is oe of lifes HUGE ripoffs

REASONABLE???????????? A buck for socks, buck-fifty for underwear and $2 for a teashirt. Celebrity's laundry is oe of lifes HUGE ripoffs

I doubt seriously too many people do their socks or underwear back home. Take a look at the things that we send clothes to the cleaners for and the prices are very comparable and reasonable....

Even if you were to do a pair of socks for a dollar, what is wrong with that, where did you have anything done lately for less than a dollar....

Celebrity's prices are very competitive with my local dry cleaner. I find nothing "ripoffish" about the prices. I find the convenience of sending out my laundry worth every penny. After spending several thousand $$$$ for my wife and I to take a cruise VACATION I can't imagine spending some of that expensive time doing my own laundry, just like I can't imagine spending this valuable time making own bed or washing my own dishes after dinner in one of the restaurants.

Reasonable? In most cities, you can get a dress shirt laundered and pressed for $1. It looks like that would cost $7.95 on Celebrity ($4.00 for laundering, $3.95 for pressing).

I'm pretty sure the price would be $4.00 total, including the pressing. The $3.95 is for items you only want pressed, but not laundered. In my city the price to have something laundered and pressed is about $3.75. Your quote of $1 is not realistic for most areas - unless you are still living in the 70s. :D

paragonj,

I disagree. I have used the laundry on all my cruises. I wear mostly cottons and linens. I pay the laundry price. They come back nicely pressed on hangers or neatly folded. It is one of the the things i like about cruising.I can pack less and still have clean clothes.

Celebrity's prices are very competitive with my local dry cleaner. I find nothing "ripoffish" about the prices. I find the convenience of sending out my laundry worth every penny. After spending several thousand $$$$ for my wife and I to take a cruise VACATION I can't imagine spending some of that expensive time doing my own laundry, just like I can't imagine spending this valuable time making own bed or washing my own dishes after dinner in one of the restaurants.

I'm pretty sure the price would be $4.00 total, including the pressing. The $3.95 is for items you only want pressed, but not laundered. In my city the price to have something laundered and pressed is about $3.75. Your quote of $1 is not realistic for most areas - unless you are still living in the 70s. :D

I agree, the 1.00 price to have a shirt done was probably in the 50s or 60s.

I think the laundry/ dry cleaning pressing service is reasonable considering they pick it up and drop it off.

Given the way I pack, the pressing service comes in handy on day 1.

It's surprising that " higher end " cruise lines like Regent have onboard self service laundry, but Celebrity doesn't.

I'm packing a 3 oz container of woolite for socks and underwear....everything else they can do.

The OP has had their quesstion answered about the access of laundry services, and not having self-service....as to the rip-off and 'reasonable????' posts, if you think the costs are out of hand because you think you can get your shirts done for a buck, then bring enough clothes so you don't have to feel you are getting 'ripped off'. The rest of us who actually know how much laundry and dry-cleaning costs will use the reasonable charges. Sounds like someone hasn't gone to a cleaners in years or their spouse does all the work.

Personally, I'm getting very tired of the 'ripped-off' comments about cruising. "They are reducing the MDR dining quality to force us to use the costly specialty restaurants'....'they are way overcharging us for wine, I can get the same wine at a 1/4 of the cost at my local store'....'They are way overcharging us with those costly drinks',,,,'massages',,,,'trinkets'......whatever...(OK, the massages Are way overcharged prices).

If this is what you focus on, take a land vacation or an all-inclusive cruise or whatever. But please quit posting rediculous statements and blowing everything out of proportion.

Den

Okay that makes it a *little* more reasonable. I haven't used Celebrity's laundry services, was just looking at the prices in the link provided and assumed that since pressing was a separate category, it wasn't included in the laundry prices.

As far as the $1 for laundering and pressing a shirt goes....I have lived in both Northern Virginia (one of the highest costs of living in the country) and outside of Baltimore in the past 7 years and in both places the cleaners I went to had $1 prices for laundering/pressing dress shirts. It is a bit more expensive where I live now, but it is a much smaller town (i.e., less competition).

No self-service. Ask your room steward for the "wash & fold" bag. Roll your laundry to fit the maximum into the bag. Clothes come back clean and flat. Great for packing.

How much do they charge for this? Sounds like a good plan. I'm trying to pack light.

No self-service. Ask your room steward for the "wash & fold" bag. Roll your laundry to fit the maximum into the bag. Clothes come back clean and flat. Great for packing.

I have never heard of it on Celebrity...They do on longer cruises offer some bag offers but not always. Also, you get a certain benefit for being Captains Club Elite...

Okay that makes it a *little* more reasonable. I haven't used Celebrity's laundry services, was just looking at the prices in the link provided and assumed that since pressing was a separate category, it wasn't included in the laundry prices.

As far as the $1 for laundering and pressing a shirt goes....I have lived in both Northern Virginia (one of the highest costs of living in the country) and outside of Baltimore in the past 7 years and in both places the cleaners I went to had $1 prices for laundering/pressing dress shirts. It is a bit more expensive where I live now, but it is a much smaller town (i.e., less competition).

My daughter lives in Northern VA (Alexandria). Please give us the name or location of one of these cheap laundries. She would love to save some money and $1.00 per shirt sure would help. Thanks a bunch.

My daughter lives in Northern VA (Alexandria). Please give us the name or location of one of these cheap laundries. She would love to save some money and $1.00 per shirt sure would help. Thanks a bunch.

Not sure about Alexandria, but there was a place in Fairfax called Dryclean $1.75 (don't let the name mislead you, it was a $1 to launder/press a dress shirt). Even had same day pickup if you dropped it off in the morning. This was about 3 years ago.

I don't think anyone really expects anything on a Celebrity cruise to cost what it would on land, do they?

A martini will cost alot more than your local bar.

Hotel wise though, these rates are pretty good. We just stayed in Disney at the Grand Floridian and the prices were much higher than that. We only had 2 small loads done and paid about $200 for laundry when we left.

I live in Baltimore and take our stuff to ZIPS (321ZIPS.com)....it's $1.99 for dry cleaning (per piece) and $1.39 for shirts. They are in her area, (6216 North Kings Highway) and while it's not a buck, they are cheaper than any comparable dry cleaner around here. Paid $5.97 for hubby's suit and my dress to be cleaned. Very happy with the job they do.

We pack much lighter these days and the bundling method of packing may not work for everyone, but it does for us. I just take a small Woolite to wash things out and we have some small clothespins that I bought when we camped more that can be put in the side pocket of a suitcase so that we can pin things up to dry out. This cruise I washed one thing out and it was only because I had a small spot on it. It would blow most people away to see how much we had (or didn't have!) in our suitcases. If you are going to the Caribbean, you're probably at the pool most of the day....next cruise I'm only going to bring one swimsuit opposed to two and a two cover ups, a few pairs of shorts, blouses, two or three pairs of slacks, two dressy blouses, a pashmina and a pair of palazzos. You have it on maybe five hours or so and it's not like you are doing anything strenuous. We find the only problem with packing this way is my hubby's shoe are bulkier....looking for a different style carry on for him.

I don't think anyone really expects anything on a Celebrity cruise to cost what it would on land, do they?

A martini will cost alot more than your local bar.

Hotel wise though, these rates are pretty good. We just stayed in Disney at the Grand Floridian and the prices were much higher than that. We only had 2 small loads done and paid about $200 for laundry when we left.

When I lived in NJ the prices were actually cheaper than at home. Now that I'm in Pa, they are about the same..

Instead of bringing Woolite, we use the hair shampoo as a detergent to clean socks, underwear and other small articles in our cabin's bathroom sink. In fact I usually take the cheap shampoo from the hotel we stay at before our cruise to use onboard for this purpose.

I retired from a major supplier of detergents, surfactants and dispersants that covered the personal care, home care as well as the industrial sectors and the components of both products are very similar. Hair and natural fibers like wool, are very similar in composition and the idea in cleaning either is to remove grease and soil. Shampoo even works well with synthetic fiber like polyester and nylon as with these it is more difficult for stains to penetrate the fiber so you need only to remove the grim on the surface.

Archived