Last minute question about laundry??

GLCAS

Yuck, I would never bother wasting my vacation time washing my own socks and underwear. These items are the smallest and take the least amount of weight in a suitcase, so I just bring a lot for the cruise, bring a large plastic bag for all of it that is worn and put it in the washing machine when I get home. I didn't go on a cruise to do my own laundry.

Yes, I agree and wished that DW would think that way. She likes to come home with clean clothes but doesn't really hand wash our laundry since we mostly go on X, which we get free laundry on, or Princess which has those self serve laundermats as we're not Elite yet with that cruiseline. I have no problem with sending out our laundry but my idea of a cruise is not spending time in a onboard laudermat.

We take longer cruises, usually with many sea days so have plenty of onboard time. Every once in a while I find that I need to hand wash some small article of clothing that I want freshened up quickly or to remove a small spill or stain, which doesn't really take much time and the hair shampoo comes in handy for that instead of lugging detergent from home. It also comes in handy when your luggage doesn't make it to your cruise and you have limited, not available onboard clothing in your carry on bag. I had that happen to my bag, not DW's and we didn't cross pack, on the way to a 14 night TA/Mediterranean cruise so I had to make do for five days until my bag caught up to that cruise. I couldn't really send out for laundering my limited supply of two pairs of socks and underwear (which weren't available for purchase onboard) so hand washed a set one day so they were dry the next morning. The problem with that ship's laundry service was you need to send out early in the day to receive back later in the day the next.

Yuck, I would never bother wasting my vacation time washing my own socks and underwear. These items are the smallest and take the least amount of weight in a suitcase, so I just bring a lot for the cruise, bring a large plastic bag for all of it that is worn and put it in the washing machine when I get home. I didn't go on a cruise to do my own laundry.

Washing socks and underwear probably took a total of one hour in my entire 15 day cruise, no big deal. Since i wear a fresh pair of socks and underwear every day, to pack 18 days worth in our suitcase would have take up quite a bit of space. Unless the weather is very hot, I can usually wear shorts or pants more than one day, sometimes shirts as well.

Washing socks and underwear probably took a total of one hour in my entire 15 day cruise, no big deal. Since i wear a fresh pair of socks and underwear every day, to pack 18 days worth in our suitcase would have take up quite a bit of space. Unless the weather is very hot, I can usually wear shorts or pants more than one day, sometimes shirts as well.

Well, my cruises are the 7 day variety so far, so I don't need to worry about hand washing. But even an extended 2 week cruise, I think I would still pack enough socks and underwear to prevent me from doing any hand washing of these and leave any needed laundering of other items to the ship's service.

To each their own I guess.

Laundry prices are very good. If I can take one less suitcase, I can save the airline baggage fee which is usually $25-$30 each way. For that $50-$60 I can get a lot of laundry done. I also don't have to pack as much clothes. Even if I were driving to the port, I would bring less and have the ship do the laundry. If you are Captains Club , you will get coupons for either free or reduced fees for laundry. Use them. On my last cruise, I had the ship wash my clothes twice. They do an excellent job. Often they run a special on a bag of laundry. You will be amazed at how much stuff you can stuff in a bag. When you figure out how much you are paying for the cruise, the extra for laundry isn't very much. Have a nice cruise and take pleasure in letting them do the laundry.

I just got back from a cruise in November. Socks are $3 a pair to wash. Does that give you an idea of what to expect? I see someone said it is $1 to do socks. That must have been in the past. I took my own hangers with clips to wash out undergarments in the sink and hang up in the shower. My husband paid to have his shirts done which was $5 per shirt. I had only a few things done but I know we spent about $100 on laundry and we were very frugal.

I just got back from a cruise in November. Socks are $3 a pair to wash. Does that give you an idea of what to expect? I see someone said it is $1 to do socks. That must have been in the past.

It may be that prices have gone up, but the Celebrity web site still shows socks washed for dollar a pair here http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqId=566&faqSubjectName=Ship+%26+Stateroom+Details&pagename=faq_answers

I wonder if we print that out and take it with us, they will honor the published price?

It may be that prices have gone up, but the Celebrity web site still shows socks washed for dollar a pair here http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqId=566&faqSubjectName=Ship+%26+Stateroom+Details&pagename=faq_answers

I wonder if we print that out and take it with us, they will honor the published price?

Wow! That is interesting. Yes! Print it out. I just know what the prices were when we were on the Solstice two months ago. The prices were outrageous. I want the cruise lines to make money but I don't want to be gouged. Just come with your own little bottle of detergent so you can do your own handwashing.

Just a side note of gouging. It has nothing to do with laundry. If you brought your own bottle of wine on board, you are allowed two bottles, the corking fee in the dining room is $25.00 US.

Just a side note of gouging. It has nothing to do with laundry. If you brought your own bottle of wine on board, you are allowed two bottles, the corking fee in the dining room is $25.00 US.

So drink the wine in room before dinner

I just got back from a cruise in November. Socks are $3 a pair to wash.
Not to worry. The price for socks was back down to $1 a pair again in December.

Or just wait for the "stuff a bag" special. You can fit a lot of laundry into one of those bags.

I'm bringing old undies that I'll throw away each day.

Hilarious! But aren't you worried you will have an accident and the paramedics will see your undies?

Regarding the $25 wine corking fee. Of course, drink in your room or even better, carry your full wine glass into dinner. Hey, we are seasoned cruisers here. All I ask is that the prices be somewhere in the reasonable range. I don't think many of us are wealthy.

"Hilarious! But aren't you worried you will have an accident and the paramedics will see your undies?"

I think that's a woman's thing babbasqueen. That and not having shaved legs. :-)

If I were a woman, I would buy cheap undies somewhere and toss them in the trash when done.

TO WOLFIE469,

Hilarious indeed... thanks for the chuckle of the day !!

:)

"Hilarious! But aren't you worried you will have an accident and the paramedics will see your undies?"

I think that's a woman's thing babbasqueen. That and not having shaved legs. :-)

Well said...

Indeed I think the "old" undies & throw away concept would work a lot easier for guys... any Paramedic wouldn't be the least surprised by that at all... probably an everyday occurence for most chaps ... lol not to mention that the Paramedics are just probably "relieved" to find the guy NOT going commando (seems to be a very common guy thing to do)

:rolleyes:

As for your last statement...

If I were a woman, I would buy cheap undies somewhere and toss them in the trash when done.

Lol, obviously you are NOT a woman...

Because I think you'd find that most gals would tell you that "cheap undies" are generally NOT comfortable undies... :mad: their construction tends to leave a lot to be desired... lets just say they tend to "wander" (UP can be one nightmare :o ... but DOWN can be a bigger one :eek: ... cheap tends to also equal cheap elastic !!). Same issues can be found with pantyhose too.

Sadly, us gals tend to have to "invest" in good undergarments (ever checked out the price of bras ??) so we don't have to constantly worry about such unfortunate embarrassing situations happening to us when out in public... as we do tend to care a bit more than you guys about our "bits" being exposed.

Ok, I know... too much information !!

;)

Cheers!

Please do try to relax,,,,As my children and Husband often belive a magical fairy arrives and does the laundry for you (at home that is). Hint: save a few extra bucks for that little treat for your self and let the rest of them think she came along on the trip with you.....lol. The payoff of packing lighter will be a great one. BTW, wrinkle free linens will look great on you!;):)

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually a useful thread. We have never taken a Celebrity cruise and our longer cruises have been with Princess (week long cruises have been with Carnival, Princess, RCI and with the kids). The laundry prices really aren't bad. While the self service laundry on Princess is a nice little extra, it is not a big deal packing extra underwear and socks. Those things take up very little extra space. If we pay another $50 for all other laundry, we'll also save some time and and $50 is not a deal killer on deciding between cruise lines. We will be doing a Baltics cruise in a couple of years and like that Celebrity begins and ends in Amsterdam (Princess is Copenhagen) and, quite honestly, we need a break from Princess. All of the ships are too similar and same with entertainment. We're looking forward to a Celebrity cruise. I can't see going to another line just because of laundry or corkage fees.

No self-service. Ask your room steward for the "wash & fold" bag. Roll your laundry to fit the maximum into the bag. Clothes come back clean and flat. Great for packing.

Any idea of price. we are begining to pack for the Eastern carb/1/29/12.

I greatly appreciate your info.:p

Archived