Gratuities

zijlweg

Gratuities have been a hot topic, almost as long as Cruise Critic is in the web.

What I notice is that everyone is more or less guessing on how gratuities should be paid and how gratuities are divided among the staff.

Why are cruise companies so secretive about this? Is it that management gets part of the monies and if so how much?

I think time has come for the cruise companies to offer some explanations about this secrecy....

Note: I certainly have no problems tipping, but like to know were my monies are going to.

I would like to hear from the cruise companies themselves, as I know they are monitoring this forum daily.

Let's hear!

Gratuities have been a hot topic, almost as long as Cruise Critic is in the web.

What I notice is that everyone is more or less guessing on how gratuities should be paid and how gratuities are divided among the staff.

Why are cruise companies so secretive about this? Is it that management gets part of the monies and if so how much?

I think time has come for the cruise companies to offer some explanations about this secrecy....

Note: I certainly have no problems tipping, but like to know were my monies are going to.

I would like to hear from the cruise companies themselves, as I know they are monitoring this forum daily.

Let's hear!

Have you asked a cruise line?

Let's hear!

On HAL, the Cruise Director speaks about this on every cruise when (s)he does the disembarkation talk.

I suspect what you may be implying is that you don't believe what they are telling us?

Sorry if I misunderstand and am mistaken.

I have a feeling that the cruise lines won;t tell you exactly who gets what because of the contracts that the crew have.

At one time on HAL -- the cruise director used to tell us that the cabin steward got this amount and the dining room wait staff got that amount and what was left from the Hotel Service Charge (some call it a tip on HAL) was divided among the "behind the scenes" staff -- laundry people, those who clean the decks, sweep, tons of other jobs. Now the cruise director never gives the specific amount.

Once again, they aren't really tips or gratuities - most lines have switched to calling them daily service charges which is more accurate. Do you ask where your resort charges go when you stay at a hotel in Florida (and other places who have this mandatory charge)?

I do wish it were included in the price of the cruise, but until it is, cruisers should just include it like they do pre or post cruise hotels, airfare, rental cars and food.

Let's hear!

Hi,

What difference would it make for you, if you did know exactly : " I certainly have no problems tipping, but like to know were my monies are going to." ? What would you do different ? Would you tip more ? or less ?

How about rest of the money that you pay for the cruise ?

do you know where it goes ? what portion goes for the fuel ? the food ? the cost of the ship ? the pay of the captain or the cook ? the singer ? or the ice carver ? or the CEO ? or the person that washes your towel ? or unplugs your toilet ? and so many others ?

What difference would that make if you knew ? Would you want to pay more or less for your cruise ?

To me, it does not make any difference ? It is their responsibility how they keep the crew happy - mine, is to pay the gratuity as suggested by the cruise line and perhaps more if someone did more than required ?

I really don't believe that the cruiselines are trying to be secretive or sneaky in any way regarding the distribution of tips. Do tips help keep their cost to employ down? Of course. That's the same reason you are expected to tip in a restaurant. Those employees are paid a lower wage and the tips help supplement their income.

I think cruiselines started going the way of automatic tips to try to ensure that the employees actually get tipped. I personally prefer the automatic tips. I don't really want to spend my last night handing out envelopes. I do however, take the time to find those that I wish to give extra.

I don't care how it gets distributed. If the crew is happy we must assume that they are doing a good of distributing. It just isn't on the list of things that keep me awake.

I totally agree.... we always pay upfront, when we pay for the cruise......and don't give it another thought!!!!:)

I do not believe there is anything secretive about the service charges - it is always pretty well explained: how the line gets none of it, what obvious (as well as behind-the-scenes) staff members participate, etc. -

The topic has been done to death; and I suspect that the reason it is periodically resurrected is that certain posters want to justify to themselves, or the world at large, by raising such questions, their disinclination to compensate those staff members who make cruising a pleasure.

It is absolutely no one's business but the employees of the cruise lines. Would you want someone asking how much you made and how your salary/commissions are distributed?

The cruise lines owe us nothing on this matter.

Well, if I know that the cabin steward gets 20% or 50% of the total, that makes a great difference if I would like to give him/her something extra and how much so. That's why I raised the question.

I totally get tipping, and I don't mind tipping. But adding a service charge onto your daily room tab and adding %15 onto every drink order is not a tip.

Why not include that daily charge onto the cost of the cruise? It feels like such a money grab when every time you turn around they're pushing something on you at an extreme inflated price, pictures, spa, excursions, jewlery, etc.

Personally it's just a sour note with me that they add on the extra fees.

I'm waiting for the day when one of the cruise lines figures out that they would do better business by not screwing and gouging their customers. Why not an all inclusive cruise? Give me a price and let me decide. BTW, my room bill was over a thousand bucks on my last cruise and that was us trying to be conservative.

"Well, if I know that the cabin steward gets 20% or 50% of the total, that makes a great difference"

If you pay $11.50 a day and $3.50 of it goes to the cabin steward, it's 30%. You divide 3.50 by 11.50 times 100. Now you can calculate your percentage.

The numbers are on each cruise line's website.

I totally get tipping, and I don't mind tipping. But adding a service charge onto your daily room tab and adding %15 onto every drink order is not a tip.

Why not include that daily charge onto the cost of the cruise? It feels like such a money grab when every time you turn around they're pushing something on you at an extreme inflated price, pictures, spa, excursions, jewlery, etc.

I'm waiting for the day when one of the cruise lines figures out that they would do better business by not screwing and gouging their customers. Why not an all inclusive cruise? Give me a price and let me decide. BTW, my room bill was over a thousand bucks on my last cruise and that was us trying to be conservative.

Hi,

I do not know why they - the cruise lines ( the large mass market lines) do not add / include the 'tipping / gratuity/ service charge or whatever you want to call it, to the price of the initial price for the cruise . Probably for the same reason as the 'taxes and port charges' are not shown or advertised in the papers or TV adds or even the brochures. or internet.

Their marketing people must know us : it looks so much better ( to me and others) if I see a 7 day cruise for only $449 and not the $4499.

The 449 does not include the tax, the port charges, the "gratuities" ..... but the 449 got mine and maybe your attention ....... and I want to cruise. Now if they did add the 'tax and port charges ', let say $100 and another $100 for gratuities ....... the advertised price will look like $649 .... so maybe I or you would not be interested ........ and now add the additional $1000 or more that you just spent ( per your post)...... and the price will look like $1649 or maybe $1999 and that is just for inside room ...... sorry I am not interested in that cruise.

If I do not drink - why should I pay for your booze ? if I do not want the pictures - why should I pay for yours ? if I do not want this or that excurssion, why should I pay for yours ? and so on.

No, all inclusive is not for me.

Nobody on the ship makes you buy anything - it is what you want to buy.

I like it that way.

Now, the recommended by the cruise line tip / gratuity is more like a 'service charge'. Some one does clean your cabin, gets you the towels, the ice or whatever, someone does bring or serves you the food - regardless if you eat in the MDR or any place else ...... and the someone gets pay by the money that the cruise line suggests as gratuity.

Why not travel a different way if this bothers you so much ????

How do you even enjoy a cruise if this is such a concern?

Correct. The DSC isn't really a tip. Neither is the 15% on the bar tab really a tip. It is how the crew gets paid. It can only surprise a cruise once and that actually shoudn't be possible but it does happen. It does need to be paid.

It is less expensive for passengers with the current system. Adding that same amount that the crew gets to the base fare is not simply a matter of adding that 12$/day to the fare. 16-18$ a day would be a fair gues at the new cost to still get that 12$/day into the crew's hands. We know this is true because our Aussie compatriots have confirmed it. Since they are from a non-tipping society, the cruise lines have a system in place to make up the money and the Aussies have confirmed that their fare is higher by more than the 12$/day.

Slightly different question...I saw a post recently that talked about how uncomfortably the gratuities were handled at the end of their cruise on RCCL's Allure but they didn't give specifics. We prepaid ours on our first (and only so far) cruise but then felt the service was so good, we left a little more for a couple of the folks in envelopes they provided in our room. If the service is "normal", is there a reason to do anything other than what's been prepaid? Will we need to do anything on RCCL at the end of the cruise if we've prepaid them?

Slightly different question...I saw a post recently that talked about how uncomfortably the gratuities were handled at the end of their cruise on RCCL's Allure but they didn't give specifics. We prepaid ours on our first (and only so far) cruise but then felt the service was so good, we left a little more for a couple of the folks in envelopes they provided in our room. If the service is "normal", is there a reason to do anything other than what's been prepaid? Will we need to do anything on RCCL at the end of the cruise if we've prepaid them?

Hi,

In my opinion - you do not need to do anything. You prepaid whatever was asked or 'required'.

We were on RCCL's ship about 3 weeks ago ( Navigator ) we also prepaid but on the ship on day two. We received vouchers two evenings before the end of cruise and envelopes for the people that the vouchers were designated for.

We did put a little extra just because we felt that the people who were helping us were so nice and had so much of a personal contact with us ( conversations).

Archived