teen curfew on Oasis

That explains why all my pictures for the whole week were associated with a girl who sailed the previous week. I guess it isn't full proof.;)

Interesting. I'm not privvy to the way it works behind the scenes, but perhaps it's tied to a stateroom number only, and the previous weeks passenger in your stateroom didn't get wiped from the computers properly or something.

I know when we first boarded Allure the phone systems hadn't been reset either, so our stateroom extension still had the previous-weeks passenger name in it when we dialed our extension from any house phones. Perhaps something similar happened.

Another use for the RFID on the ship is the "how full is x restaurant" indicators throughout the ship on the touch screens, and on your stateroom TV - the RFID tags of every sea pass are read and the occupants in each room calculated accordingly. Basically, as long as you have your sea pass on you (which basically everybody on the ship always does) they know pretty much where you are, where you've been, etc etc etc.

Ever wonder how those photos that get taken at random all over the ship (and even ashore) magically end up in your photo album on the ship without them ever having asked your name or stateroom number? ;)

Facial recognition software.

A bit off topic...if our sea pass cards have rfid chips in them, why do I always hear announcements for a few guests (who I presume haven't 'pinged' in upon returning to the ship) to call the front desk prior to the ship leaving a port? Why doesn't security locate them via their rfid embedded sea pass?

Back on topic...as a parent to 5 & 9 year old girls, it's hard for me to imagine letting them have free range of the ship without adult supervision. Only time will tell if my comfort level changes once they're teens. For now, they're young enough that 'helicoptering' is to be expected.

I can see this from both sides, so if you want to call me on the fact that I didn't "require" my teen to rush back to the cabin at the crack of 1AM, then I can accept that. I would not, however rush around the ship like a madman at 12:45AM looking for him, either, nor would I punish him for loosing track of time and not coming back until 1:30AM - it's not worth the potential cruise-ruining conflict unless there was another part of the equation - AKA, he was out past curfew and got in trouble - different story.

We went on this trip with one agreement amongst all family members - to not sweat the small stuff, not argue over stupid things, and to enjoy ourselves.

That said, comparing a few teens sitting in a quiet spot on the pool deck or in Sorrentos chatting until 1:30 breaking curfew (gasp!) to someone smoking in the main dining room is a big stretch. One thing is very unlikely to directly impact other guests, at least no more so than any other person sitting there chatting at 1:30 AM. Smoking on the other hand directly effects plenty of others, has negative health effects, and damages the ship when done in areas not designated for smoking.

Thank you, you've proven my point quite nicely. YOU decided, as a family, that it was okay to ignore rules set by RCL. I don't think you checked with the other 2-6 thousand guests to get their approval.

Having raised teens, and after every single one of us adults having been a teen, you and I both know one simple fact; Teens lie. I know, yours are the ONLY exception to this rule. They do talk loud in the hall, they do mess around. They do bother people.

I do not smoke, but if I choose to be in an environment that allows it, it was my choice. I would, JUST LIKE YOU, not tolerate a smoker lighting up in the dining room. Why should ANYONE tolerate the fact that YOUR family decided to violate the rules and "not to sweat the small stuff".

A bit off topic...if our sea pass cards have rfid chips in them, why do I always hear announcements for a few guests (who I presume haven't 'pinged' in upon returning to the ship) to call the front desk prior to the ship leaving a port? Why doesn't security locate them via their rfid embedded sea pass?

I would have to assume that they want to physically verify they are there instead of relying on the scan since someone else could have carried the seapass back aboard without the physical passenger attached to it. The RFID would show them aboard, but the gangway scanners didn't record them coming back aboard via a barcode scan, so the manifest isn't matching.

Or Perhaps another reason...I'm sure for every single thing one observes aboard the ship there are 50 more that you never see, or have no idea are occurring.

My RFID tidbit was but a small nugget of info I gained over the week of the cruise. I'm a very observant type of individual, often hearing and noticing things that most others miss. It's amazing what you can learn talking to the right person in the right place at the right time, sitting attentively and watching things that most others ignore, or just intently observing the ship-board world go around over a period of time. I'm a bit geeky that way - I always like to know what makes things tick, more so than just listening to the tick and accepting the fact it's making a noise. ;)

Edited by Oshawapilot

I can see this from both sides, so if you want to call me on the fact that I didn't "require" my teen to rush back to the cabin at the crack of 1AM, then I can accept that. I would not, however rush around the ship like a madman at 12:45AM looking for him, either, nor would I punish him for loosing track of time and not coming back until 1:30AM - it's not worth the potential cruise-ruining conflict unless there was another part of the equation - AKA, he was out past curfew and got in trouble - different story.

We went on this trip with one agreement amongst all family members - to not sweat the small stuff, not argue over stupid things, and to enjoy ourselves.

That said, comparing a few teens sitting in a quiet spot on the pool deck or in Sorrentos chatting until 1:30 breaking curfew (gasp!) to someone smoking in the main dining room is a big stretch. One thing is very unlikely to directly impact other guests, at least no more so than any other person sitting there chatting at 1:30 AM. Smoking on the other hand directly effects plenty of others, has negative health effects, and damages the ship when done in areas not designated for smoking.......

"My 14 year old was routinely out until 2-3AM on Allure with the gaggle of 20-30 other teens on our sailing, so long past curfew"..

When the curfew (rule) is to be back at 1:00am it should be enforced. According to one of your other posts you mentioned that it was ok for your teen to come back as late as 3am a lot later than 1:30am. As perfect as you and your children are, you are both breaking the rules by allowing your teen to stay out until 3am.

Personally, I find it shocking that you can go to bed and sleep comfortably knowing your teen is not back yet. Have you not heard of the stories of teens getting pulled into areas by ship employees and being raped???? I'm sure this does not happen often, but it certainly has happened.

Rules are set for a reason and should be followed. On our last cruise, we punished our 14 year old daughter for being 15 minutes late. She never did it again. She was punished because she knew the rules and didn't follow them. I guess we were bad parents for expecting her to follow the rules.

It's clear that many of us will have to agree to disagree in this thread.

On a related topic, What's often entertaining in many of the "OMG that's against the rules!?!!!" threads around here is that some nifty advanced search terms often turns up situations where they very members who are mortally offended that someone else dare break a rule have openly discussed doing that very same thing themselves in another capacity.

Omg, someone is smoking on the wrong side of the pool deck! Throw them off the boat! ....Meanwhile, a year ago in their post history they openly discussed tactics in how to smuggle booze aboard.

But then again, double standards are the norm nowadays.

G'night, everyone. ;)

And people wonder why many have difficulty following any kind of guidelines?

Curfew is curfew. Why do parents encourage kids to skirt around things like that?

It really doesn't matter if your kid is special..and perfect..and wonderful. If the ships curfew is 1 am they should be in their cabins and not have to be told to go there either by a parent or security. Doesn't matter if they are having a wonderful time. Following guidelines is part of learning how to be a responsible adult.

No wonder so many of the young feel they are above rules and guidelines and have so many issues with being able to adhere to specific rules. :rolleyes:

I happen to think that security might take into consideration the way the children are behaving. The curfew is for children, and if security thinks they are acting like adults, why enforce it. It is a vacation. But i could see where the whole "play the hiding game" could be a problem. Kids getting into places they shouldnt, noisy, god knows what else.

You act like an adult, you are treated as an adult.

Happy cruising!

My thoughts exactly! Also, if our seapasses have RFID chips in them, why do they have those annoying magnetic strips -- that de-magnetize every time I put them in my purse?! :confused:

And, back to the original topic, I'm sure that it is frustrating for the more responsible older teens to be held to a curfew. But, I'm with the "rules are the rules" folks on this one. :cool:

1 AM for me is a reasonable time for a teen to be back in his/her room. I don't think it's a terrible thing for them to stay out later (as long as behaving well), but do you let them overstay their curfew by two hours, or more, at home? Yes, I realize it's not quite the same thing, but it does set a precedent.

Age also makes a difference. 15-17 year olds are one thing, 12-14 quite another; on some ships 12's are in the teen division.

Tell your kids to do what they're asked to do by the staff, and do it respectfully. If they get told that they're running afoul of curfew, then they need to call it and night and retire, simple. Don't try to bend the rules once they've been told they aren't following them.

But isn't knowing that there IS a curfew, and it is already set as 1am enough? How would it fly in your household if your kid knew a particular basic rule YOU had in place, but decided to push it and do whatever he wanted until you called him on the carpet for it? And a responsible person wouldn't feign ignorance or use ignorance as an excuse.

Sorry, dude, but what business does a 14 year old CHILD have out running around at 2 or 3 am without adult supervision? I hate to break it to you, but well-behaved or not, I would not hesitate to contact security about kids that young hanging out/running around/etc that late at night with no parent in sight. Vacation isn't a free pass for the kids to disregard the rules or the parents to disregard parenting.

s their seapass on person, with the touch of a few buttons they can locate them on the ship and automatically pull up the nearest security camera's live view. (The Seapass cards are RFID active, for those who didn't know...)

He was pulling your (gullible) leg and/or trying to impress you.

RFID works over only a few inches, unless a battery-powered tag is used (no way that RCL is using $50-$100 battery powered tags on disposable cards).

To track someone with a non-powered RFID tag in their pants, they would have to schooch their pants up against a reader every few feet to be tracked on the ship.

I have been on ships with missing kids. They don't track them with cameras....they make a general announcement over the PA system for the kid to check into the customer service desk. Others have reported the same thing.

Facial recognition is a different matter, and can probably quickly track passengers down to the most recent camera location they were filmed at. However, this would only be on the newest ships, and does not rely on on RFID.

Edited by ehfl

Just off the Liberty, the first night there were dozens of young teens running the ship, apparently doing a scavenger hunt. One group took a rolling desk chair from the internet area for a long elevator ride and across the promenade, then back. More annoying to me was that their parents were stepping back out of the way and watching them run loud and out of control. With that said, my oldest son (21)was out around 1am walking alone and was stopped by security, and had his ID checked. Reminding him of the 1am curfew for 21 and under. I was happy to see it being enforced.

To the OP: this is why there is a curfew and why it should be enforced and parents should be responsible for their children.

Two arrested, accused of raping teen on cruise ship

Iowa 15-year-old was on 10-day cruise with parents.

Read this thread that is currently on this board.

To the OP: this is why there is a curfew and why it should be enforced and parents should be responsible for their children.

Two arrested, accused of raping teen on cruise ship

Iowa 15-year-old was on 10-day cruise with parents.

Read this thread that is currently on this board.

Here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1541504

This might cause some changes. One would hope anyway!

I had just finished reading the post about the 15 year old being raped, before reading this post. Thank you for posting the link. I was thinking while reading this post the "parents" of teens allowing them to stay out and not know where they are or what they are doing or what time they come back to the cabin or whether they make it back to the cabin or what someone else is doing to them really need to wake up......before something horrible happens to their children. Yes, they are still children until they are 18. Also, for you "parents" who don't think anything will happen to their teen sons, don't be fooled.

Take care of those teens......they may have you grandchildren someday! :D