Travel idea for QM2

QM1

The QM2, as the only active Ocean Liner of today, is also the fastest large passenger ship worldwide.

I wonder why doesnt Cunard make an event of it - a TA crossing as fast as possible in summer to prove the real speed? That would be a a one-off event in her career, and I am pretty sure the ship would be filled, even if they ask for more money for a shorter and naturally slightly less comfortable trip. What do you think?

I'd do it only if the QE2 were chartered to race her. I and my money would be on the QE2.

Agreed without a doubt. One report had QE2 touching 35 knots after the engine replacement. Besides, QM2 has had pod issues. Doubt they would push her hard any more.:eek:

Agreed without a doubt. One report had QE2 touching 35 knots after the engine replacement. Besides, QM2 has had pod issues. Doubt they would push her hard any more.:eek:

Since she has been having these issues, maybe Mary needs to be seen by an orthopod. :D

PS... My bets would be on QE2 also!

If the USS United States was referbished she would win, as she is the Blue Ribbon holder!!!

'Tis the SS United States - the USS United States was an aircraft carrier (CVA-58) that was cancelled five days after her keel was laid in 1949.

QE2 is faster, sure, but she´s decommissioned. I wonder if QM2 could race at top speed for the whole duration of a TA. Or would her pods perhaps be too vulnerable?

Is she decommissioned? From what I have been reading, she is kept in repairs and can move on her own steam. I have also read that she is registered under the flag of Vanuatu, and Port Vila (her new home port) was painted on her stern, replacing Southampton.

A tenth anniversary sprint across North Atlantic in 2014? Would be different from the now more usual celebratory lap round the UK.

Notwithstanding technical hurdles, trouble is I suspect that she is just too big. While there would certainly be takers, I doubt there would be enough liner nuts and speed freaks around to satisfy simple break even capacity. Charging more for less would be a non-starter too for the "normal" people who would need take up the slack in bookings, they would simply wait for the next slow boat instead.

M-AR

Is she decommissioned? From what I have been reading, she is kept in repairs and can move on her own steam. I have also read that she is registered under the flag of Vanuatu, and Port Vila (her new home port) was painted on her stern, replacing Southampton.

Here is a photo I took November 21, 2011 in Dubai showing the stern of the QE2. "Port Vila" has indeed replaced "Southampton". But if you look closely, the outlines of "Southampton" are still faintly visible between "Queen Elizabeth 2" and "Port Vila".

QE2Stern.jpg

Regards,

John.

SS United States average (as the Blue Riband holder) was 34.51 knots Westbound and 35.59knots Eastbound so I suspect that even the QE2 was unable to beat it.

Archived