Life boat drills

san diego sue

Our boat drill on the Oosterdam last Nov. -Hawaii cruise - the drill while is was damp and cool was a farse. All we did was stand outside while the captain spoke - whistle blow but no roll call was done, so how did they know everyone was there. It is our first bad boat drill experience in eight cruises with Hal. The good thing about I suppose was the fact we now knew exactly where we should go in the event of the need to do so.

Glad no life vests. People would drag the belts behind them and you had to watch out or trip.

They use to look at your vests (had your cabin number on it) and check you off the list. Do they call roll or as Princess does, scan your card.

Those life vests with the straps are being replaced by a single-buckle kind, which is probably why you're no longer required to practice putting them on. Not sure which ships have them yet. No attendance was taken at all on our last couple of cruises as far as I could tell.

Our boat drill on the Oosterdam last Nov. -Hawaii cruise - the drill while is was damp and cool was a farse. All we did was stand outside while the captain spoke - whistle blow but no roll call was done, so how did they know everyone was there. It is our first bad boat drill experience in eight cruises with Hal. The good thing about I suppose was the fact we now knew exactly where we should go in the event of the need to do so.

YES, for sure. That is the good part that you know exactly where to go in the case of emergency. I imagine that's probably the best reason why the conduct the drill the way they do.

During life boat drill, they are permitted to use the elevators.

There is crew assigned specifically to assisting guests who require help in the event of an emergency. THAT is their emergency assignment.

All wheelchair users should be certain the front office has their name and cabin number so they will know to get to you in an emergency.

What do people in wheelchairs do?

We were on the Zuidy in Dec and my wife is in a wheel chair as is one of our traveling companions. We were allowed to use the elevators. Not sure what they would do in a real situation, we had the fire alarm go off while we were on the ship, (false thank goodness) and all the elevators shut down.

Thanks for the responses.

Am looking forward to our cruise on the Oosterdam.

I think on Princess the cabin stewards check the cabins during the drill.

Maybe HAL has the same system.

They do, your steward will check the cabin. I have seen evidence of that on most musters as when I have returned I could tell they had been in the cabin. (Bags delivered or invitations on bed etc)

People need only see a picture of the last large ship fire to know why muster is so darn important.....:eek:

It's a toss up about taking attendance.

On our Amsterdam cruise -- attendance was taken.

On our Noordam cruise -- no attendance taken.

Also we had a surprise on our last cruise -- life boat drill was at 4:30 instead of the usual 4:15.

Yes -- cabin stewards check the cabins. I can remember one young lady being excorted down to the drill by an officer -- she had been in her cabin listening to her iPod.

On our cruise in Dec. we had one man show up late (about half way through) wearing his robe and life perserver and slippers. Not sure if they got him out of the shower or what. Yes everyone in the area had a little chuckle and many cameras were going.

On our cruise in Dec. we had one man show up late (about half way through) wearing his robe and life perserver and slippers. Not sure if they got him out of the shower or what. Yes everyone in the area had a little chuckle and many cameras were going.

That had to been have been a riot!!

I think I am going to try and remember to take a camera at our next life boat drill.

YES, for sure. That is the good part that you know exactly where to go in the case of emergency. I imagine that's probably the best reason why the conduct the drill the way they do.

I'm curious as it has been a while since I was last on HAL, do they tell passengers where to go should their life boat not be accessible during an emergency?

One of the friends we were traveling with in December was ill on embarkation day and told by the ship's doctor to stay in her cabin during the drill.

She got a message the following day for a make up drill.

When she attended, there was one other passenger there.

So someone is watching at least some of the time.

Report to your muster station outdoors without a life jacket.

There are a few that can't follow instructions, and bring a life jacket.

:confused::confused::confused:life jacket:confused: I don't think so;) no longer required

I'm curious as it has been a while since I was last on HAL, do they tell passengers where to go should their life boat not be accessible during an emergency?

I'm sure there would be people giving instructions and guiding guests in the event of a real emergency. Crew drills constantly for every possible situation. There are traffic controllers stationed in all stairwells, people assigned as in charge of each life boat..... and lots of Officers who continuously train. In the event the speaker system operates, no doubt it would be used to give directions.

But you probably knew all that......... ;)

Report to your muster station outdoors without a life jacket.

There are a few that can't follow instructions, and bring a life jacket.

Very true.

:confused::confused::confused:life jacket:confused: I don't think so;) no longer required

We had several people show up at our drills with their life jackets. Some people just can't seem to follow instructions.

Another thing that was different on our last (B2B2B) cruise.

We only had to attend the safety drill on the first of the three cruises. In the past we have had to go to all drills.

HAL should really get their act together and be consistant on all ships.

For the last couple of years we did not have to attend the second life boat drill.

Then this past November -- suddenly we now have to attend the second one.

Archived