Hump balcony and chairs?

Waihekean

We are booked in one of the slant hump balconies with the largest balcony.

Would we get loungers on this balcony or would we have to ask for these or would we only get chairs?

Cabin is 1A veranda category on Equinox, Med cruise.

Unfortunately, no loungers any more. The company line is that it

is a safety hazard??????????? We were on the Silhouette and had

some very nice adjustable chairs. You will, however, love the additional

balcony space. It's absolutely perfect for room service breakfast on the

balcony, especially early on "port" days.

I was fortunate enough to sail on Equinox three times in 2011, twice in a 1A and once in AquaClass. While there were footrests in the Aquaclass cabin, chairs only in the 1A.

I spoke to the cabin attendant both times - they spoke to their supervisors both times and they were aware of my close to 40 cruise credits with Celebrity. The answer was identical both times - only Sunset Verandas and Concierge Class and above get "full" patio furniture.

I have written to the company about this issue in the past - it seems rather silly to have a category who's prime feature is a huge veranda and then not properly furnish it. Charge me more but make it usable!

For my Caribbean sailings, I bought some inflatable ottomans on the advice of fellow CC posters and they have worked out well but they take up a bit of luggage space.

I was fortunate enough to sail on Equinox three times in 2011, twice in a 1A and once in AquaClass. While there were footrests in the Aquaclass cabin, chairs only in the 1A.

I spoke to the cabin attendant both times - they spoke to their supervisors both times and they were aware of my close to 40 cruise credits with Celebrity. The answer was identical both times - only Sunset Verandas and Concierge Class and above get "full" patio furniture.

I have written to the company about this issue in the past - it seems rather silly to have a category who's prime feature is a huge veranda and then not properly furnish it. Charge me more but make it usable!

For my Caribbean sailings, I bought some inflatable ottomans on the advice of fellow CC posters and they have worked out well but they take up a bit of luggage space.

Hi Waihekean,

What this means, is in Concierge Class & Aqua Class one gets adjustable chairs with footstools... in the Suites one ALSO gets loungers (but then no denying that Suite Passengers pay a lot more for their fares)

I respectfully disagree with DR COCKTAIL's overall assessment of classes that have balconies but don't offer more in the way of furniture... there is only a very small percentage of cabins that feature oversized balconies (on the hump angle or aft cabins) ... and they run across all the various categories thru the Balcony Levels - Concierge - and Aqua Class. The majority of cabins in these categories have regular balconies (54 Sq Feet on S-Class Ships... of which the Equinox is one)... and as such they just cannot accommodate larger furniture (and yet both neighbours pay the same price for their cruises)

It is what it is, IMO.

Just count yourself lucky if you were able to snag a larger balcony.

Cheers!

If you're out there by yourself you can always use the other chair as a foot rest lol. Or, the railing area. You'll find it's pretty comfortable, not as comfortable as with a foot rest but, what can you do. I have a 1A booked for my next cruise, same exact cabin but on a different ship from last year :-) I'm excited!

Sunset Verandas don't get footstools either. It makes no difference how many cruise credits you have as to whether you can get one or not. As Sloop John B said, it is what it is.

Oh, I do count myself lucky!:D :D Just wondered if steward would be able to accommodate if they had spare loungers or even just foot stools

Celebrity are trying to differentiate the amenities in each category and getting extra furniture doesn't fit with that so I think you would be very lucky to get it. I know of one friend who books CC Class rather than 1As partly because of that footstool.

Phil

Sunset Verandas don't get footstools either. It makes no difference how many cruise credits you have as to whether you can get one or not. As Sloop John B said, it is what it is.

Phil

I had assumed that SV did get the foot rests as the brochure lists the amenity as "Veranda with lounge seating" which is not listed for standard staterooms.

Silly and arrogant of me to think that after spending over $100 000 on Celebrity over the last few years that a few foot-stools couldn't be swung but .... I can't suck and blow. I generally am for enforcement of rules.

Where you and Sloop John B are totally missing my point is that the Ia's only exist on Solstice Class and their sole distinguishing feature is an extended veranda. Wouldn't it make sense to properly furnish that veranda and charge a bit more for it?

Silly and arrogant of me to think that after spending over $100 000 on Celebrity over the last few years that a few foot-stools couldn't be swung but .... I can't suck and blow. I generally am for enforcement of rules.

Where you and Sloop John B are totally missing my point is that the Ia's only exist on Solstice Class and their sole distinguishing feature is an extended veranda. Wouldn't it make sense to properly furnish that veranda and charge a bit more for it?

Yes and I've spent quite a bit with them too, but my Elite status doesn't include the benefit of a footstool on the balcony for a cabin that doesn't have one. If you give it to one then where do you stop? "Hey the guy in the next cabin's got a footstool. How the heck did he get that?".

I do agree with you about the space thing though, but I'm not sure what the answer is to enable Celebrity to differentiate those AQ and CC cabin amenities sufficiently or indeed how much that footstool is worth. On some sailings the 1A and CC prices can be pretty close, but in turn maybe a trade off between the amenities and cabin location/balcony size. For now I prefer to look at the latter, even if it means no footstool. I like your idea of an inflatable leg rest though. I might have to look at the one!

Phil

I do agree with you about the space thing though, but I'm not sure what the answer is to enable Celebrity to differentiate those AQ and CC cabin amenities sufficiently or indeed how much that footstool is worth. On some sailings the 1A and CC prices can be pretty close, but in turn maybe a trade off between the amenities and cabin location/balcony size. For now I prefer to look at the latter, even if it means no footstool. I like your idea of an inflatable leg rest though. I might have to look at the one!

Phil

I agree on the 1A/CC price differences being minimal but for me, on Solstice Class ships, it's all about the veranda. On my March sailing, CC was actually cheaper than the 1A but I really didn't care about the amenities especially as now all of the cabins themselves are identical.

I am suspicious that the only reasons that the 1A's haven't actually become CC is that it might be tricky for the cabin attendants to supply/service isolated "pockets" of cabins.

Celebrity loves creating new cabin categories (I think there's a prize in head office for each one created) so just change 1A to CV (CelebrityVeranda) and we're good!

When one of the posters originally suggested the inflatables, my mind was rife with dirty connotations but they have turned out to be great!

I take the useless pillow from the useless sofa and throw a towel over it and instant footrest (for someone who's 6 feet tall!). The only problem is that they must look pretty weird on x-rays and the TSA has helpfully cut off my TSA-approved locks to check them out.

I agree on the 1A/CC price differences being minimal but for me, on Solstice Class ships, it's all about the veranda. On my March sailing, CC was actually cheaper than the 1A but I really didn't care about the amenities especially as now all of the cabins themselves are identical.

I am suspicious that the only reasons that the 1A's haven't actually become CC is that it might be tricky for the cabin attendants to supply/service isolated "pockets" of cabins.

Celebrity loves creating new cabin categories (I think there's a prize in head office for each one created) so just change 1A to CV (CelebrityVeranda) and we're good!

When one of the posters originally suggested the inflatables, my mind was rife with dirty connotations but they have turned out to be great!

I take the useless pillow from the useless sofa and throw a towel over it and instant footrest (for someone who's 6 feet tall!). The only problem is that they must look pretty weird on x-rays and the TSA has helpfully cut off my TSA-approved locks to check them out.

I agree with you entirely. I think the classifications between 1A and CC are strange to say the least. The 1A cabins get all the lovely over-sized wedge balconies on the S class. The lowest category of Concierges are the C3, which have normal-sized balconies and the footrest. If I want both the footrest and the wedge, I am forced to upgrade to a C2. On our sailing, the C2s are presently $200 more pp than the C3s. The 1As are priced only $30 less pp than the C3. If you love a big balcony and a footrest (I do :o) you're in between a rock and a hard place. I think X is silly not to turn the 1As into CCs as it surely would generate more income for them!

I think X is silly not to turn the 1As into CCs as it surely would generate more income for them!

In a way I hope they don't. The benefits of CC seem to attract people to those cabins (extra cruise credit, sparkling wine in the room on arrival, expanded room service breakfast etc) and often a number of the 1As are left available. I know if I book a 1A, choosing it carefully so as not to be too close to the smoking area on deck 5 I am guaranteed a larger balcony with more shelter if it is windy or rainy. I think I am right in saying a small number of the 2Cs and 2Ds also have the larger balconies.

Love the inflatable footstool!

Phil

Love the inflatable footstool!

Phil

We used them for the first time in February where our group had adjoining 1A's. We popped bubbly which was then followed by furious inflating sounds ....

thumbnail.img?color=336699&text=000000&accent=cf1b2a&compliment=ffffff&navigation=000000&heading=5a6a5c&title=5a6a5c&logo=ffffff&link=0000ff&picture.image.url=%2Ffiles%2F891848%2Fuploaded%2F68612E.jpg&picture.width.max=150&picture.height.max=150&picture.image.mask.apply=false&stage.width.max=150&state=center&cache=1325889620853

followed by hysterical laughter and more corks popping. We laughed even harder when we thought about what our neighbours were thinking .....

btw .... the two ottomans and pump combined probably weigh under 7(!) pounds

Unfortunately, no loungers any more. The company line is that it

is a safety hazard???????????

Oh watch out, there is an extremely comfortable lounger on your veranda.

Thanks for the warning, for a moment, I wasn't sure if I should cordon it off

for it may make me fall a sleep for an hour.

Lucky escape that really.

I think I will have to find a seat with some rocks in it just to be safe.

We used them for the first time in February where our group had adjoining 1A's. We popped bubbly which was then followed by furious inflating sounds ....

thumbnail.img?color=336699&text=000000&accent=cf1b2a&compliment=ffffff&navigation=000000&heading=5a6a5c&title=5a6a5c&logo=ffffff&link=0000ff&picture.image.url=%2Ffiles%2F891848%2Fuploaded%2F68612E.jpg&picture.width.max=150&picture.height.max=150&picture.image.mask.apply=false&stage.width.max=150&state=center&cache=1325889620853

followed by hysterical laughter and more corks popping. We laughed even harder when we thought about what our neighbours were thinking .....

btw .... the two ottomans and pump combined probably weigh under 7(!) pounds

You are giving me waaay too much material that I'm just not going there, but thanks for the idea. I have a 1A on Silhouette in December and on Eclipse next March. I may have to pay a visit to Amazon.

Phil

Thank you all for this informative discussion. I just ordered a pair of inflatable ottomans to take with us. I guess that means we won't have room on the 1A veranda for the Ikea wardrobe I was considering as an option for the lack of storage. :D

j

They do charge a little more than a regular verandah, but not by much and yes, they should even add another $20.00 and put those footstools there. In five sailings or so they will have paid for themselves. I will miss it this year on my 1A.

You are giving me waaay too much material that I'm just not going there, but thanks for the idea. I have a 1A on Silhouette in December and on Eclipse next March. I may have to pay a visit to Amazon.

Phil

Hi Phil, what date do you sail on Eclipse next March, we are on 23 March sailing, in a 1A hump cabin.

Archived