Taking kettle on board

On diamond princess last year around Japan we had kettles in our room. Think we only used it once. I wonder if its more to do with area of cruise rather than the cruiseline. Been on princess in Australia and no kettle. It's not a big deal throw on some casual clothes and head to one of the many coffee stations or order room service. The reason I take my kettle to Europe on land trips is the expense of coffees when on a 3 month trip it adds up. No cost on a cruise.

On diamond princess last year around Japan we had kettles in our room. Think we only used it once. I wonder if its more to do with area of cruise rather than the cruiseline. Been on princess in Australia and no kettle. It's not a big deal throw on some casual clothes and head to one of the many coffee stations or order room service. The reason I take my kettle to Europe on land trips is the expense of coffees when on a 3 month trip it adds up. No cost on a cruise.

Not a big deal to us, but I can't understand how the kettle is dangerous on Diamond in Australia but safe on the same ship in Japan :confused:

Not a big deal to us, but I can't understand how the kettle is dangerous on Diamond in Australia but safe on the same ship in Japan :confused:

Its a cultural thing. For Japan ,they like their green tea and tea ceremonies so the ship would channel enough electricty to the cabins to keep the kettles going witout blowing any circuits.

In Australian waters they would need more electricity for the fridges to keep the beer cold.:D

Isn't it typical the number of people that think the rules don't apply to them.

What makes them think they are so special?

:confused:

Princess only states "The use of extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms. The use of non-thermostatically controlled kettles and water heaters, together with the use of irons, is not

permitted in your stateroom; please do not bring this type of equipment with you."

So thermostatically controlled kettles which automatically turn off when boiled are permitted.

Personally, and like Mrs and Mrs, I think hair straighteners and curling tongs would be far more risky and all cruise lines allow those.

I took my hair straightener on my first cruise and didn't bother afterwards as as soon as the humid sea air hit my freshly straightened hair I realized I had wasted my time. This was for pacific islands though.

I took my hair straightener on my first cruise and didn't bother afterwards as as soon as the humid sea air hit my freshly straightened hair I realized I had wasted my time. This was for pacific islands though.

Mrs Gut has the same experience, even though we tend to cruise cooler climates, Tassie NZ etc, Sea Air / Wind = Frizz, Frizz and more Frizz.

From reading around several cruise lines will add kettles when cruising out of Southampton... but not from other ports.

The one you are thinking of is probably P&O in the UK, they advertise 'tea and coffee making facilities' which I would take to be a kettle or similar.

I was on P&O UK's Oriana/Aurora last year and Arcadia, in 2012. Indeed all P&O UK ships do have tea/coffee making facilities in cabins, with bikkies. I believe Cunard is going to do the cabin kettle bit, anybody heard that?

We're on Viking Ocean next month. Each cabin has a coffee pod machine & tea making facilities ...... Also plenty of tea & coffee making facilities throughout the ship. Never thought people would take there own kettle!

• 2 weeks later...

Please do not make statements like that if you do not have the facts to base them on! I do not "think I am Special" but I DO have a medical condition which I live with....permanently! You must have heard the line....walk a mile in my shoes!!

Noticed VOS has kettles in the rooms, was surprised about that, also was on QV earlier this year and think we also had a kettle, but I could be wrong and getting confused with VOS as I cruised these a week apart. Better check my photos to see if I did have a kettle on QV. Old timers kicking in, me thinks...

Please do not make statements like that if you do not have the facts to base them on! I do not "think I am Special" but I DO have a medical condition which I live with....permanently! You must have heard the line....walk a mile in my shoes!!

If you don't like the rules don't go on the ship. Simple enough for you?

If you don't like the rules don't go on the ship. Simple enough for you?

What rules? :confused: There are no rules against taking thermostatically-controlled kettles onboard, only non-thermostatically-controlled ones.

And, as others have stated, Princess provides kettles on cruises in some regions.

You're getting as bad as some of the sharks on the Princess forum, Russell21. ;) :eek: :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Well Julie, I didn't specifically point at kettles, I was pointing at the attitude of some people WHO DON'T THINK THE RULES APPLY TO THEM, IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR ALL CONCERNED?

You would be in denial if you are convinced that there are people who don't fall into that category. Certain ships have certain rules, and I repeat what I said, IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE RULES THEN DON'T SAIL ON THAT SHIP!

THE RULES ARE USUALLY THERE FOR YOUR SAFETY.

Well Julie, I didn't specifically point at kettles, I was pointing at the attitude of some people WHO DON'T THINK THE RULES APPLY TO THEM, IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR ALL CONCERNED?

You would be in denial if you are convinced that there are people who don't fall into that category. Certain ships have certain rules, and I repeat what I said, IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE RULES THEN DON'T SAIL ON THAT SHIP!

THE RULES ARE USUALLY THERE FOR YOUR SAFETY.

Well, you did by implication, Bill, since you posted your comment immediately after some discussion about safe types of travel kettles that were permitted aboard some cruise lines, and given the title of this thread is "Taking a kettle onboard".

Admittedly some cruise lines don't make it easy to determine what is permitted and what isn't. The Princess info is buried in one of the online documents you can access once you have booked a cruise.

Plus there is a lot of misinformation posted on these forums. Any cruise ship that can handle a large number of hairdryers (supplied by the cruise line) plus hair straighteners and curling tongs permitted to be brought onboard by passengers, all being used during a relatively short period of time while people get ready for dinner, should be able to handle a few appropriately safe kettles being boiled in the mornings. Especially as some of those ships, ie Diamond Princess, provide kettles in some regions.

Furthermore nobody on this thread was suggesting they break any rules, people were politely asking and discussing what was permissible. You're the only one that got snarky.

AND DON'T SHOUT AT ME!!! :p

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

JJJ I don't make the rules, take your pointless argument to the cruise lines, they are the ones that make the rules and know a damned site more about safety on board than any whinging passenger.

I don't get snarky until attacked, tell me you haven't come across someone with the attitude I commented on and I'll call your veracity into judgement.

Edited by Russell21

Yes, they make the rules. Once again I quote the Princess rules.

"The use of extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms. The use of non-thermostatically controlled kettles and water heaters, together with the use of irons, is not

permitted in your stateroom; please do not bring this type of equipment with you."

Once again I state there is no rule stating you can't bring extension cords without surge protection devices or kettles that are thermostatically controlled.

And, once again, I seem to need to remind you that

a) nobody on this thread suggested breaking the rules, although some people did mention that they had taken items onboard without issue, and only one of those was a prohibited item - and perhaps that person didn't realise that it was prohibited at the time.

b) the first post in this thread that was snarky was yours.

so don't get shirty when people respond in a negative manner to YOUR post. And I noticed that you didn't respond to my polite questioning of that post.

Yes, there are people with attitude on these boards. They are usually found on the Princess forum, the Celebrity forum, the Royal Caribbean forum, the Cunard forum, et al. Not here!

Your initial contribution to this discussion was out of line given the usual respect and consideration shown on this particular forum, and your subsequent comments are equally out of line, IMHO and just sayin'. :p

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Now let's look at some figures.

The Princess Sun class ships carry around 2000 passengers. Agreed?

Let's say the cruise is out of school holidays so no kids. That means that half the passengers are female. Agreed?

Let's say that at a miminum 350 of those females on board wash their hair every day, after swiiming, sunbathing and sightseeing. Another minimum 350 may wash their hair every second day and for the sake of this example we'll say half of them one day, and half the next. The other 300 passengers was their hair at longer intervals but lets say 100 of them are all on the one day. So on that day there are 625 women washing their hair, usually in the evening, usually between 4:30pm and 7:30pm. Some will allow their hair to try naturally but most will use a hairdryer, and some will also use curling tongs or hair straighteners. Let's say 200 women an hour using hair appliances. Some, like me, only take a few minutes to dry their hair. Some women need up to half an hour to style theirs.

Any ship that has enough power to handle 200 hair appliances an hour, minimum, can probably handle a few properly thermostatically controlled electric kettles. :rolleyes:

Very true.

We have to organise our hair drying in the evenings like a military operation.

The cabin dryers couldn't blow out a candle.

So we take our own super dryer,1/2 hr each just to dry, then straighteners or curling wand, or hot rollers.

Its a night-mare.

Then make-up.

Evening wear.

All in an inside cabin, its a freakin bomb-site.

Our steward sure earns his money.:):);)

Edited by mrs and mrs
additional crap info

There are some advantages in having short, straight, fine hair that is totally unstyleable! :D

But even with that the Princess hairdryers are useless. The ones on Celebrity Solstice are great though.

Now who's on their high horse, we seem to have a self appointed forum sheriff .

I still stand by my original statement, TAKE IT HOW YOU LIKE.

Oh, stop being such an old curmudgeon and admit you were wrong in the first place! :rolleyes: :p ;)

Yes, they make the rules. Once again I quote the Princess rules.

"The use of extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms. The use of non-thermostatically controlled kettles and water heaters, together with the use of irons, is not

Once again I state there is no rule stating you can't bring extension cords without surge protection devices or kettles that are thermostatically controlled.

Can you point me in the right direction for where you found this quote? I want to print out the whole page and take it with me (and my travel kettle) on my upcoming cruise on Sun Princess, just in case security protests.

Can you point me in the right direction for where you found this quote? I want to print out the whole page and take it with me (and my travel kettle) on my upcoming cruise on Sun Princess, just in case security protests.

Go into the Personalizer for your cruise.

Click on Print Boarding Pass.

Under Additional Forms and Documents, click on Safety Information.

The relevant clause is at the top of page 3.