Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

We were booked on this cruise leaving Civitavechia on 1/27/12.

I have spent 4 hours on the phone and Costa has offered a refund and 30% off a future cruise.

Now we have had to make many alternative travel arrangements within a 2 week window and subject to higher fares.

What a poor offer, 30% off a future cruise?.

No offense intended but *** did you expect? The ship basically capsized, there are people who are dead, missing and seriously injured. Wow, just wow....just no words, again.:(:(:(

Lynda

It looks like others are questing the Turkish website exact AIS positions including a commenter on that site. I would be shocked if the "Costa Concordia" actually would attempt traveling between the rocks in such shallow waters with no room for error. Note christi1805 comments below on the German TV: "So this theory suggests that the ship just hit the most outward of the 2 rocks."

Here is a link to the chart (Chart 53135):

http://www.oceangrafix.com/o.g/Charts/chartViewer.html?viewRegion=5&viewChart=Porto-Santo-Stefano-and-Approaches

Is the suggestion that the captain tried to squeeze it between the main island the little island? That would seem impossible...

I thought the theory was they hit something further offshore and steered towards land possibly hitting again? I see another island well ESE towards where their course first deviated.

Yes Deckofficer, you have managed "it appears" to have got some people excited with your remarks but can you enlighten me what part of the Marine Insurance Act of 1906 Lloyds covers you for wages in such an event?

Has nothing to do with any Insurance act, you just take out a policy to protect your future earnings. Lloyds will insure anything that you are willing to pay the premiums for.

One think I do not understand is that there are several accounts of survivors who have said they have not been in touch with Costa and one case where they hadn't given their names to anybody until back on the mainland.

How exactly is the estimate number of those missing been determined?

That is certainly one of the biggest issues, it's possible all of the missing are ashore and just not accounted for yet, although history from the search today does tend to point to that more will be found aboard the ship.

Disorganized evac and not accounting for who is missing is a huge problem here. If they could have accounted for all on the ship quickly, knowing who was missing would also make it easier to know possibly where these folks would be found.

When I served as a medic on an offshore floating drilling rig, everytime a helicopter or boat brought someone to or took them from the rig, the lifeboat station lists had to be updated. (even if it was a few times a day). Having that list was critical in getting a headcount before leaving the rig, had it ever been necessary. Based on the accounts I have read including Mickey D Mouse's account it doesn't sound as if such accounting of pax/crew was going on before people got to shore, which is not how it should have been done.

As a supposed "professional", a quick question. Why would you taunt anyone on an amateur board such as this one? You have not given us one shread of evidence, or your thoughts, so, why even post here??

We not only look at the human side of this story, there are some here that are quite knowledgeble, that are willing to share their opinion, while you give gobeldegook!:rolleyes:

If you cannot share with open minded people of Cruise Critic, please keep your posting to Maritime Masters & Pilots, or whatever MM&P stands for.

Thanks

Close, Masters, Mates & Pilots

The Italian prosecutors have alleged that the Captain left the ship very early, though the Captain insists that he was among the last to leave.

i heard on the news he left at 11:30 pm and the last passengers we not winched off until after 3 am. Not to mention the 3 that were rescued today. Very Poor IMHO

Is the suggestion that the captain tried to squeeze it between the main island the little island? That would seem impossible...

I thought the theory was they hit something further offshore and steered towards land possibly hitting again? I see another island well ESE towards where their course first deviated.

So many unanswered questions! I think if I was the captain, and I knew the ship would turn on it's side, if I could manuever it between solid land objects, I would do that. I'd be praying that the large rock would help support the ship and keep it from going all the way under water. Of course, I'm a rookie with no experience! My gosh, those captains have an incredible responsibility! Such a sad, sad, tragedy!

One possibility (to add to the thousand other conjectures) is that he was deliberately trying to run her aground between the two rocks to stop her listing too far in either direction, but for some peculiar reason she went through.

Sorry, didn't see this. It's what I was trying to say in my earlier post.

You may not have said it happened because he was Italian - but you certainly said it was because the crew was not US...

You're still kind of new here - so you may not get that most of us on this board get the concept of the Jones act. We also have access to reviews of the Pride of America and understand the over all inferior service ratings that the US crew recieves.

This is a ship sailing around Italy, catering primarily to Europeans - why on earth wouldn't it have an Italian crew?

Your arrogance is an embarrassment to our profession.

You say this accident could not have happend with a US crew...You must have been absent the day they tought about the Exxon Valdez at Cal Maritime.

About the only thing you've posted that I agree with is that he probably will loose his license and he probably has insurance for that. As such - why in the world would how much he makes or how much time off he gets have been part of his thought process? How could this have any significant bearing on how he conducted himself in this crisis.

Bottom line is there is just one US flagged cruise ship because the market decided a long time ago that there is poor ROI on the cost of dealing with the US Government and US labor unions.. (Folks here may not realize that most of what's left of the US fleet is unionized - that's how you end up with jobs that pay 200K plus for 6 months work).

OK, I'm busted. I do prefer my US flagged salary, don't you?

That is certainly one of the biggest issues, it's possible all of the missing are ashore and just not accounted for yet, although history from the search today does tend to point to that more will be found aboard the ship.

Disorganized evac and not accounting for who is missing is a huge problem here. If they could have accounted for all on the ship quickly, knowing who was missing would also make it easier to know possibly where these folks would be found.

When I served as a medic on an offshore floating drilling rig, everytime a helicopter or boat brought someone to or took them from the rig, the lifeboat station lists had to be updated. (even if it was a few times a day). Having that list was critical in getting a headcount before leaving the rig, had it ever been necessary. Based on the accounts I have read including Mickey D Mouse's account it doesn't sound as if such accounting of pax/crew was going on before people got to shore, which is not how it should have been done.

At least one of the survivors said they were even counted/names taken until they got to the mainlandoff a ferry. I will not be completely surprised when some are found to have made their way home or elsewhere w/o being counted.

Given two elderly gentlemen were found dead at a muster station a little while ago speaks very strongly to me that the crew did not do their job. For the captain to leave when elderly are still waiting for help at muster stations???? I cannot beleive it, but do.

So many unanswered questions! I think if I was the captain, and I knew the ship would turn on it's side, if I could manuever it between solid land objects, I would do that. I'd be praying that the large rock would help support the ship and keep it from going all the way under water. Of course, I'm a rookie with no experience! My gosh, those captains have an incredible responsibility! Such a sad, sad, tragedy!

Was just reading that the captain reported they were 300m offshore when they hit. I think they were on the outside of that little island, there's a rocky outcrop there on the satellite that is visible just under the water at exactly 300m. They were passing east of that little island and hit the rocks that were there....captain screwed up as did the crew. I don't think it was a landslide or anything else.

They got too close to rocks, they hit the rocks and sunk.

The reason she's facing south - they probably dropped anchor which is sometimes protocol in a crash. The ship then pivoted around that axis ending up facing south.

We were booked on this cruise leaving Civitavechia on 1/27/12.

I have spent 4 hours on the phone and Costa has offered a refund and 30% off a future cruise.

Now we have had to make many alternative travel arrangements within a 2 week window and subject to higher fares.

What a poor offer, 30% off a future cruise?.

Excuse me but do you realize that a ship has sank, that 5 people are dead, dozens injured, and thousands of people obviously very upset and thankful just to be alive? Or do you not care? I'd say it's the latter. Sounds like Costa went out of it's way to help you. Really what an ignorant statement to make! :mad:

Was just reading that the captain reported they were 300m offshore when they hit. I think they were on the outside of that little island, there's a rocky outcrop there on the satellite that is visible just under the water at exactly 300m. They were passing east of that little island and hit the rocks that were there....captain screwed up as did the crew. I don't think it was a landslide or anything else.

They got too close to rocks, they hit the rocks and sunk.

The reason she's facing south - they probably dropped anchor which is sometimes protocol in a crash. The ship then pivoted around that axis ending up facing south.

Thanks for the info.

There were about 100 Russians on board the Concordia. According to Russian state TV Vesti, Concordia officers were seen drunk and partying before the accident by one of the Russian passengers.

This might explain why the Captain snuck off like a drunk driver before anyone could get a breathlyzer sample from him.

"Monique Maurek, 41, from the Netherlands, told The Sunday Telegraph: 'What scandalised me most was when I saw the captain spending much of the evening before we hit the rocks drinking in the bar with a beautiful woman on his arm."

stick a fork in him because he is DONE!

At least one of the survivors said they were even counted/names taken until they got to the mainlandoff a ferry. I will not be completely surprised when some are found to have made their way home or elsewhere w/o being counted.

Given two elderly gentlemen were found dead at a muster station a little while ago speaks very strongly to me that the crew did not do their job. For the captain to leave when elderly are still waiting for help at muster stations???? I cannot beleive it, but do.

Given 1000 or so guests were from Italy, you could be right on that some just went home.

Concordia officers were seen drunk and partying before the accident by one of the Russian passengers.

So? They're not all on watch 24/7. Officers and crew who were off duty could have been rolling around naked in jelly if they felt that way inclined, as long as they were compos mentis by the time they were on watch again.

So? They're not all on watch 24/7. Officers and crew who were off duty could have been rolling around naked in jelly if they felt that way inclined, as long as they were compos mentis by the time they were on watch again.

Should be a rule against it then since the lives of thousands of people depend on the ships officers being competent.

Looking at the chart, based on depth and beam, I also find it impossible that the Concordia would have been able to pass between the rocks.

I believe they hit the most southern/eastern outside rock first after the hard starboard turn (i.e. trying to miss the rocks) and then the Captain made the decision to run her aground as close as possible to Port Giglio about a half mile to the north.

To me this is simply a navigation error. With the black box, the investigation will easily determine their precise location of the first hit and the crews actions thereafter.

I have read that the Concordia also has damage on the port side and may have happened in the final turn and grounding.

I have also read conflicting news reports the Captain was not on the bridge at the time of the "initial" accident. As far as the actions of the Captain, the investigation will also determine if his actions were proper and if his decisions were professional. We don't know all the facts yet. Time will tell!

Excuse me but do you realize that a ship has sank, that 5 people are dead, dozens injured, and thousands of people obviously very upset and thankful just to be alive? Or do you not care? I'd say it's the latter. Sounds like Costa went out of it's way to help you. Really what an ignorant statement to make! :mad:

Sounds to ME like Costa went out of its way to put 4,000 innocent people in harm's way, has (so far) taken minimal care of them, and has a 100,000-ton PR problem on its hands.

The poster is not responsible for the deaths, Costa is. Costa is also responsible for satisfying the poster. If Costa has a lot of issues on its plate right now it is solely Costa's responsibility, not any of its customers.

Archived