Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

AjGinJXCQAAqnFo.jpg

With this picture was a report 30 are dead. Hopefully that part is an overstatement.

This was my fear. The tear in the hull would have happened where the crew live and work. Any flooding would have happened immediately and they would have had no escape. It is good that it was the dinner hour so most passengers would have been in public areas on higher decks, but many of the crew would have been at dinner themselves in the crew areas or on breaks or sleeping between shifts. These would all have been on decks lower than what we have already seen underwater. I truly feel most of the casualties we are going to see will be crew members and may be days before we know the true counts. :(

The Italian Newspaper La Repubblica Firenze is reporting as of about 2 minutes ago: 6 dead, 4 missing, 13 injured (2 seriously).

Passengers are quoted as saying there was loud scraping sound, like they hit something, THEN the power went out.

Here is a pretty thorough article so far:

ROME — A luxury cruise ship ran aground off the coast of Tuscany, gashing open the hull and forcing some 4,200 people aboard to evacuate aboard lifeboats to a nearby island early Saturday. At least three were dead, the Italian coast guard said.

At least three bodies were recovered from the sea and at least three additional persons were feared dead, and helicopters were working to pluck to safety some 50 people still trapped aboard the badly listing Costa Concordia, said Coast Guard Cmdr. Francesco Paolillo.

Paolillo said it wasn't immediately known if the dead were passengers or crew, nor were the nationalities of the victims immediately known. It wasn't clear how they died. The Italian news agency ANSA reported that some people had jumped overboard in the scramble to evacuate the ship, which had just begun a Mediterranean cruise.

The evacuees were taking refuge in schools, hotels, and a church on the tiny Tuscan island of Giglio, a popular vacation isle about 18 miles (25 kilometers) off Italy's central west coast.

ANSA quoted two Italian journalists who happened to be among the passengers taking the Mediterranean cruise as saying the accident happened during dinner hour.

"We were dining when the lights went out, and suddenly we heard a bang and the dishes fell to the floor," ANSA quoted one of the journalist-passengers, Luciano Castro, as saying.

"It was like a scene from the Titanic," another passenger aboard, journalist Mara Parmegiani, told ANSA.

Paolillo said the exact dynamics of the accident were still unclear, but that the first alarm went off about 10:30 p.m. (2130 GMT), about three hours after the Concordia had begun its voyage from the port of Civitavecchia, enroute to its first port of call, Savona, in northwestern Italy.

The coast guard official, speaking from the port captain's office in the Tuscan port of Livorno, said the vessel "hit an obstacle" -- it wasn't clear if it might have hit a rocky reef in the waters off Giglio -- "ripping a gash 50 meters (165 feet) across" on the left side of the ship, and started taking on water.

The cruise liner's captain, Paolillo said, then tried to steer his ship toward shallow waters, near Giglio's small port, to make evacuation by lifeboat easier.

But after the ship started listing badly onto its right side, lifeboat evacuation was no longer feasible, Paolillo said.

Five helicopters, from the coast guard, navy and air force, were taking turns airlifting survivors still aboard and ferrying them to safely. A Coast guard member was airlifted aboard the vessel to help people get aboard a small basket so they could be hoisted up to the helicopter, said Capt. Cosimo Nicastro, another Coast Guard official.

A statement from Costa Cruises, the company that runs the ship, confirmed that the evacuation of the 3,200 passengers and 1,000 crew had begun, "but the position of the ship, which is worsening, is making more difficult the last part of the evacuation."

Costa Cruises' statement did not mention any casualties, and said it had not yet determined the cause of the problem.

Costa Cruises said the Costa Concordia was sailing on a cruise across the Mediterranean Sea, starting from Civitavecchia with scheduled calls to Savona, Marseille, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Cagliari and Palermo.

It said about 1,000 Italian passengers were onboard, as well as more than 500 Germans, about 160 French and about 1,000 crew members.

The ship was most likely fully insured. Therefore it is completely possible for a complete restoration.

Furthermore, Carnival/Costa would be losing more money if they were to let a new ship such as this, one that has yet to pay for itself, become a wreck.

From the looks of her, Concordia is completely salvageable. If one has a hotel that were to succumb to damage that is completely repairable he or she wouldn't have the building razed. This scenario is the same, only with a much larger asset.

The ship's machinery and electrical systems may not be able to be repaired to operate reliably again.....and pass the inspections and certifications necessary to operate the ship.

Yeah terrible news... my girlfriend was working there, we're from peru and her family and me dont know nothing about her... i dont know if this is too much to ask... here is 1:50am but if someone here is italian and it's able to get information there, plz write me right now...

My prayers are with you and family.

I, too, am shocked to see this happening in my lifetime.

This was my fear. The tear in the hull would have happened where the crew live and work. Any flooding would have happened immediately and they would have had no escape. It is good that it was the dinner hour so most passengers would have been in public areas on higher decks, but many of the crew would have been at dinner themselves in the crew areas or on breaks or sleeping between shifts. These would all have been on decks lower than what we have already seen underwater. I truly feel most of the casualties we are going to see will be crew members and may be days before we know the true counts. :(

You could have hit the nail on the head with where the new deaths may have come from. Some crew would likley be asleep before going on shift for the overnight hours. I'd think most of the sleeping crew though would be aft of the bridge as bridge officers, but I could see possibly the engineering crew asleep down below the waterline perhaps.

Having been down below the waterline on a couple of special tours, it does make you realize how dangerous those areas can be in a catastrophic event such as this.

Regardless of who died or where they are from or what they do, it is very sad that 8-30+ have apparently lost their lives tonight.

I just came on to this terrible news. A tragic accident that will stay in our memories for years. One of my nicest cruises was aboard the Concordia several years ago. My heart goes out to the passengers, the dead and injured, but also to the crew which sadly had to put into practice what they've always trained for. They certainly deserve kudos for saving so many.

I wonder where they hit the reef and if they were lucky to be able to get to the dock on their own or if they got towed. If this happened in open waters, there probably would have been more lives lost. Ship is probably scrap now. Even if they fixed all the damage, who would sail on a refurbished ship that sunk? If they are able to get the ship out of the water, there is still a lot of value in her as scrap, not to mention all the valuables left on her. She looks like shes resting on the floor on her side according to the last pic.

You could have hit the nail on the head with where the new deaths may have come from. Some crew would likley be asleep before going on shift for the overnight hours. I'd think most of the sleeping crew though would be aft of the bridge as bridge officers, but I could see possibly the engineering crew asleep down below the waterline perhaps.

Actually, crew sleep all over the ships from bow to stern. The officers are usually on higher decks but even they can be mostly on A Deck (usually the 1st deck below the 1st passenger area) but can also go as low as C Deck (4 Decks below the lowest passenger decks). Only the Bridge Officers (Captain etc...) have cabins on the Bridge Deck near the Bridge. On one ship I was on B Deck aft, another ship I was A Deck mid-ship, and the last I was Deck 2 (passenger deck) forward almost in the bow under the theatre. These were all for the same position so each ship really is different as to where a crew member may sleep. The one staple is that the lowest decks are the ones usually assigned to bussers, laundry, etc...these are also the first ones that would flood in a case such as this.

None of the Cable news stations in the U.S. are reporting anything about this. Then again, it's probably a good thing they're not reporting this considering all the false and/or old info they would pass along to viewers, but you would think a modern day ship capsizing would be a newsworthy story...

Video from the rescue. Shows Port side lifeboats all launched and helicopters saving some of the folks aboard.

http://iltirreno.gelocal.it/foto-e-video/la-concordia-dall-elicottero-1.3065141

Brings tears to my eyes to think how terrified the passengers and crew must have been. Cudos to the crew and portside people for their rescue efforts.

None of the Cable news stations in the U.S. are reporting anything about this. Then again, it's probably a good thing they're not reporting this considering all the false and/or old info they would pass along to viewers, but you would think a modern day ship capsizing would be a newsworthy story...

Goodness, it has been headline news in Australia. Perhaps if something happens elsewhere the cable news doesn't really care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Video from the rescue. Shows Port side lifeboats all launched and helicopters saving some of the folks aboard.

http://iltirreno.gelocal.it/foto-e-video/la-concordia-dall-elicottero-1.3065141

Can't imagine what it was like for everyone still onboard when the lights went out and the ship capsized! :eek: That video is beyond scary!!!

Goodness, it has been headline news in Australia. Perhaps if something happens elsewhere the cable news doesn't really care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just now figured out the reason - All the news stations here are showing reruns of yesterday's news. I guess they figure news doesn't happen around the world during the night (It's 2:20am here right now).

Archived