Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

I'm sorry for all of the passengers of this cruise, expecially for those that have died.

I made some points on another thread, the CC took down.

My first point was about the terrible loss of life, and prayers for all that were on the ship.

My second was the point of why Muster drills are so important. We never think that anything like this could happen, but it just did. I have to believe that because of the drills, many lives were saved! At least that would be my prayer.

Rick

14 saturdays January

Hours 5.00

It is a tragedy that upsets our company. Our first thought goes to the victims, and wants to express ours cordoglio and our vicinity to their relatives and friends. In this moment all our efforts are concentrated in the last operations of emergency, beyond that in offering attendance to the hosts and the crew who were to edge of the ship, in order to make them to re-enter to more soon to house. The emergency procedures are released immediately in order to proceed to the evacuation of the ship. The inclination that has assumed the ship progressively has rendered the evacuation operations extremely difficult. We want to express a deep one and felt thanks to the Coastgard and the forces from it coordinates, included the authorities and the citizens of the Island of the Giglio, than the rescue operations of and attendance to the hosts and the crew have been prodigate in. The company will collaborate, with the maximum availability, the competent authorities in order to verify the causes of the happened one ".

Hours 1.30

All the hosts who had to embark today on the ship to Savona and in the successive ports will come directly contacted from Coast Cruises.

Hours 1.00

“Coast Cruises confirmation that are in course the operations of emergency evacuation, near the Island of the Giglio, approximately 3.200 passengers and approximately the 1.000 members of crew to edge of Coast Concord. The evacuation operations have been carried out ready, but the position of the ship, than becoming more difficult, is complicating the last operations of disembarkation. Al moment is not possible to define the causes of the been necessary problem. The company is being striven with the maximum engagement for giving the maximum attendance. Coast Concord was carrying out a cruise in the Mediterranean left from Civitavecchia with ports of call previewed to Savona, Marseilles, Barcelona, Palm, Cagliari, Palermo. To edge there were approximately 1.000 passengers of ****onalita' Italian, beyond 500 Germans, approximately 160 French and 1,000 members of crew”.

Original Version

Sabato 14 Gennaio

Ore 5.00

E’ una tragedia che sconvolge la nostra azienda. Il nostro primo pensiero va alle vittime, e vogliamo esprimere il nostro cordoglio e la nostra vicinanza ai loro familiari e amici. In questo momento tutti i nostri sforzi sono concentrati nelle ultime operazioni di emergenza, oltre che nell’offrire assistenza agli ospiti e all’equipaggio che erano a bordo della nave, per farli rientrare al più presto a casa. Le procedure di emergenza sono scattate immediatamente per procedere all’evacuazione della nave. L’incli****one che ha assunto progressivamente la nave ha reso le operazioni di evacuazione estremamente difficoltose. Vogliamo esprimere un profondo e sentito ringraziamento alla Guardia Costiera e alle forze da essa coordinate, incluse le autorità e i cittadini dell’Isola del Giglio, che si sono prodigate nelle operazioni di salvataggio e assistenza agli ospiti e all’equipaggio. L’azienda collaborerà, con la massima disponibilità, con le autorità competenti per verificare le cause dell’accaduto".

Ore 1.30

Tutti gli ospiti che dovevano imbarcare sulla nave oggi a Savona e nei porti successivi verranno direttamente contattati da Costa Crociere.

Ore 1.00

"Costa Crociere conferma che sono in corso le operazioni di evacuazione di emergenza, vicino all'Isola del Giglio, dei circa 3.200 passeggeri e dei circa 1.000 membri di equipaggio a bordo di Costa Concordia. Le operazioni di evacuazione sono state effettuate prontamente, ma la posizione della nave, che diventando più difficoltosa, sta complicando le ultime operazioni di sbarco. Al momento non e ' possibile definire le cause del problema occorso. L' azienda si sta adoperando con il massimo impegno per dare la massima assistenza. Costa Concordia stava effettuando una crociera nel Mediterraneo partita da Civitavecchia con scali previsti a Savona, Marsiglia, Barcellona, Palma, Cagliari, Palermo. A bordo c'erano circa 1.000 passeggeri di ****onalita' italiana, oltre 500 tedeschi, circa 160 francesi e 1.000 membri di equipaggio".

</SPAN>Sources

http://www.costacrociere.it/B2C/I/Info/concordia_statement.htm

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.costacrociere.it%2FB2C%2FI%2FInfo%2Fconcordia_statement.htm&lp=it_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

Carnival Splendor, sister ship to the Concordia, is also the Carnival ship that lost power off the cost of Mexico in 2010. Just pointing this out because it seems that the initial reports of the problems on Concordia started with a massive electrical problem onboard.

The latest from Costa directly can be found here. There is no mention of the ship capsizing-but I'm pretty sure it has.

OMG- I just found out about this from a fellow traveller I met on my sailing 12/21-12/30- Barca-Barca.

We sailed on Costa for their Xmas cruise and had an amazing time 12/21-12/30. The best part of Costa is their people who on a scale on 1-5 I would give a 6. Our cabin was fabulous, food-not so great, ship gaudy but lovable. I absolutely LOVE Costa and am heartbroken and hope all the staff and friends we made on our ship made it out alive.

The Capitan is one of the most impressive people I have ever met in my life. We were fortunate, after some razzing on my part telling the Capitan he never shows up at the private dining rooms, Cpt. Francesco Schettino showed up just to have dinner with my partner and I. The man is brilliant, charming and a hell of a captiain. It truly pains me to see this happen to him. He told us how dificult it was for him to park his ship at some of these ports because the docks are so undersized to his ship. I truly hope we hear from some of our friends on board.

Elena, Mauricio, Yu Shu, Alex from Samsara, Kellen, Nikki, Gladly, Richard Eric, Joseph ,Jiang..please let us know you are all ok. You guys impacted our lives and we are richer because of all of you. Please, please be OK. Can't for forget Sean, our English translator..........

Carnival Splendor, sister ship to the Concordia, is also the Carnival ship that lost power off the cost of Mexico in 2010. Just pointing this out because it seems that the initial reports of the problems on Concordia started with a massive electrical problem onboard.

The latest from Costa directly can be found here. There is no mention of the ship capsizing-but I'm pretty sure it has.

My husband and I said the same thing. :(

I was just perusing the boards as my husband and I gifted our mothers with a cruise on Concordia for Christmas....they flew into Milan today and are supposed to sail out of Savona tomorrow....obviously that will not happen.

How terrible for those that were onboard!...and those whose vacations are now not going to happen. Sounds like no one was injured so that is a blessing.

And this is just another example of why trip insurance is so important!

Suzki, I don't want to alarm you but it was already Sat in Italy and the Concordia had just departed Savona to begin her cruise. Our thoughts and prayers are with you that your Mom's are safe.

Suzki, I don't want to alarm you but it was already Sat in Italy and the Concordia had just departed Savona to begin her cruise. Our thoughts and prayers are with you that your Mom's are safe.

According to the Costa site:" The Costa Concordia was sailing across the Mediterranean Sea, starting from Civitavecchia with scheduled calls to Savona, Marseille, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Cagliari and Palermo."

So I take this to mean that it was on its way from Civitavecchia to Savona.

Thanks for the thoughts, but actually the ship had just left Civatavecchia enroute to Savona...there are several websites that are erroneously listing it starting in Savona but I know that right now that are completely oblivious (as they are are sleeping) and safe in Milan.

I'm going to be calling them in a few hours to let them know that their vacation is going to Plan B.

Suzki, I don't want to alarm you but it was already Sat in Italy and the Concordia had just departed Savona to begin her cruise.

This is incorrect. The incident occurred on Friday. It is now early Saturday in Italy.

NOOOOOOO It was NOT Saturday when this happened...it is Saturday NOW though....it is 12:21am in the USA which means it is 6:21am Saturday in Italy! Why would you write that anyway!!!!

HLR

Thanks for the thoughts, but actually the ship had just left Civatavecchia enroute to Savona...there are several websites that are erroneously listing it starting in Savona but I know that right now that are completely oblivious (as they are are sleeping) and safe in Milan.

I'm going to be calling them in a few hours to let them know that their vacation is going to Plan B.

Glad you knew the itinerary and that they were well.

Suzski, That great to hear...glad to hear they are safe, hopefully they can enjoy a beautiful land tour.

You are correct...they are still reporting it as seen below:

"The Costa Concordia had left the port of Savona at 7pm local time and was sailing to Civitavecchia, its first port of call, when disaster struck at around 9pm."

Someone on that MSNBC article didn't proofread very well.

"The 290-meter Costa Concordia had left the port of Savona at 7 p.m. local time and was sailing to Civitavecchia, its first port of call, when it ran aground around 9 p.m."

Later on on the bottom..."The Costa Concordia, according to a Costa Cruises statement obtained by NBC News, was sailing across the Mediterranean Sea, starting from Civitavecchia with scheduled calls to Savona, Marseille, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Cagliari and Palermo."

My thoughts and prayers are with those who have lost loved ones in this tragedy on the

Costa Concordia and for those passengers and crew who have suffered from this catastrophe. For certain we will pay extra attention when we go to the Muster Drill on our next cruise. It is amazing that some think they are senseless and there is no need to attend

the drills. How wrong they are!

I am so glad they are safe and well. My heart sank for you for a brief minute.

Archived