Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

I'm not entirely sure of the process of righting a ship this size.

I imagine that first the ship would have to be stabilized to some degree so that she can't just float away or, really, move at all. Then dive teams would have to temporarily patch the gashes in the hull. Since the ship is powerless, external generators and pumps would probably be used to begin draining the compartments.

I'm not sure how all of those balcony cabins would affect the flooding. I'm very interested to see what will be done in the coming days.

That being said, I cannot see Carnival allowing this ship to become a total loss.

The first thing they have to do is remove all the fuel and any hazardous materials before the ships breaks apart, like the cargo container ship that ran a ground off the cost of New Zealand. That ship was there for 2 months before it broke in 2 last week.

And think about it this way, the exterior part of the ship that is damaged is now resting on the sea floor and cannot be accessed and there is a lot of it that needs to be repaired. This will be a billion dollar clean up.

Also the city where this ship now resides will no longer be able to accept any other cruise vessel to port as long as it's there which will also effect their economy.

Thought and prayers to the passengers and crew and the people this will effect.

- CWipes

If the capsized has stopped, I think the ship wouldn't be a total loss judging from the photo but it will cost, Costa a whole lot to repair her(if she can be refloated)

Think of all the ruined wiring, carpet, electronics, personal belongings, etc on the starboard side and lower decks.

I pray there are no bodies found onboard :(.

This all still just seems totally surreal.

Think of all the ruined wiring, carpet, electronics, personal belongings, etc on the starboard side and lower decks.

What is bothersome to me is that there are no reports I have seen that indicate everyone is accounted for with some disposition. One of the last reports indicated they were still trying to get some folks off the ship which was a few hours ago at this point.

I agree hopefully no bodies are found aboard, but it is likely the gash could have flooded some areas with crew who never had a chance.

This is something I hope they don't find, and I would imagin, total costs would cost the price of a new ship. On top of the above, months of bookings will have to be cancelled

They salvaged the Herald of Free Enterprise Car ferry off the coast of Belgium back in 1987 but no buyer could be found. Ship was eventually scrapped. (Obviously a far smaller vessel) - But say this ship was salvaged - Who would want to sail on such a ship?

What a terrible terrible day for so many people. I hope the death toll does not rise further.

What a terrible terrible day for so many people. I hope the death toll does not rise further.

Absolutely... still very much in my thoughts and prayers.

In the end, if they are able to salvage her to the point of returning to service, I am sure they would bill her as a 'new' ship or something. Marketing wold kick into high gear, I am sure.

Hi Everyone,

I'm just sitting here.... stunned. Horrifying photos.

My prayers go out to everyone onboard, and their loved ones.

My sentiments, precisely. I am thoroughly stunned, and helpless to do anything but pray for all the passengers and crew, as well as all those engaged in the rescue efforts, and those who will be involved in the work to come.

I have no doubt that Carnival will do everything in their power to salvage the vessel, they have the means to do so.

No company has the means to do so. The company gambles to break even on every cruise. Right now I bet there are about 50 lawyers at Costa & Carnival that are going over their insurance claim procedures.

Absolutely... still very much in my thoughts and prayers.

In the end, if they are able to salvage her to the point of returning to service, I am sure they would bill her as a 'new' ship or something. Marketing wold kick into high gear, I am sure.

I think to market it as something new would backfire teribly...folks would know what it is...and likley that would keep many from sailing her. Better to take the insurance money towards a new ship.

OMG I cannot believe I am seeing this in my lifetime!! I am in total shock. Worse, I am seriously thinking of cancelling my Splendor cruise in April. Am I crazy and panicked, or is this design completely cursed!

Katherine

No company has the means to do so. The company gambles to break even on every cruise. Right now I bet there are about 50 lawyers at Costa & Carnival that are going over their insurance claim procedures.

No doubt.

Also, bet there are some flight crews plotting the course from MIA to airports in Europe for Miami executives and pax help crews to fly to the aid of the ships pax/crew and deal with the situation. Quite possible some of the folks are already in the air on the way there.

Please don't consider this cold but I was supposed to be on this ship in two months! What will costa do? Is there another ship they will bring in to run this route or is my trip of a lifetime over before it starts?

Give Costa a couple days to deal with those on this cruise and sailing in the next few days. Then your TA should have news or you can call Costs for news on what they are going to do. Likley you will have a choice of other sailings (different ship) or a refund, but that's likely in the works over the next few days as the current pax are first priority.

Yeah terrible news... my girlfriend was working there, we're from peru and her family and me dont know nothing about her... i dont know if this is too much to ask... here is 1:50am but if someone here is italian and it's able to get information there, plz write me right now...

OMG I cannot believe I am seeing this in my lifetime!! I am in total shock. Worse, I am seriously thinking of cancelling my Splendor cruise in April. Am I crazy and panicked, or is this design completely cursed!

Katherine

Yes, Katherine, you are crazy and panicked.;) Go and enjoy your cruise. Really. As unfortunate as this is, do not let it affect you getting on the Splendor...or any other ship for that matter.

Suzan

Archived